Rumored Specs for Apple's ARM Based MacBooks have "Leaked".

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

My dad had some Xinput/Xbox360 compatible controllers and they all felt pretty cheap and didn't work very well, and were wireless. Please don't hyperfocus on this this. 

I didn't say 3rd party I said any Microsoft style one i.e what you purchased. As a user of DS3/DS4 on PC they are a pain just because the buttons don't match onscreen prompts, you get used to it but it's not as nice. I'm not hyper focused on it either, you are, literally the point you made makes no sense because you object to something due to the added weight so purchased something HEAVIER, don't mind me pointing out an illogical outcome to the reasoning applied.

But if you had used say a DS3 controller before you'd know they last for days on a single charge so that's realistically a non issue, it's light weight, can be used with a cable so no latency issue, the wireless latency is not high anyway as the tools I use to use it on PC tell me what it is. Yes DS3 could be lighter without a battery but if you evaluate the product to everything else you could have purchase none of your listed reasons for not buying it apply, the one that actually makes sense is it's a sub optimal user experience over a Microsoft one.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:35 AM, LAwLz said:

Seems pretty good for the price actually.

A bit disappointed that the leak was just "it has an A14X" rather than actually tell us what the A14X will be like.

Considering the A12X/A12Z are both 8 core CPUs (and 7 core/8 core GPUs respectively) I'm going to assume that the A14X will be at least 8 cores.  Maybe even 12 or 16? 

I'm just guessing, but it's fun to guess and see if you were right or wrong when the product is finally announced. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

But if you had used say a DS3 controller before you'd know they last for days on a single charge so that's realistically a non issue, it's light weight, can be used with a cable so no latency issue, the wireless latency is not high anyway as the tools I use to use it on PC tell me what it is. 

Switch Pro Controller too, doesn't have heavy old fashioned rumble motors, uses the HD rumble instead.  Just uses a 3DS battery which isn't really heavy, battery is the best I've ever seen on a traditional controller, and USB-C (works plugged in too).

Idk if the Wii U pro controller works, but that is wireless and lighter than any wired controller I've held minus maybe a NES controller.  Seriously the thing is logic board, 3DS battery.  There's no rumble or motion or NFC in it.  It also has a (granted mini) USB port to plug it in.  (Assuming it works with PC, which I don't see why it wouldn't) 

(okay I was incorrect, apparently the Wii U Pro Controller comes in at 200ish g, so ignore me)

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

Considering the A12X/A12Z are both 8 core CPUs (and 7 core/8 core GPUs respectively) I'm going to assume that the A14X will be at least 8 cores.  Maybe even 12 or 16? 

I'm just guessing, but it's fun to guess and see if you were right or wrong when the product is finally announced. 

Maybe. It will be very interesting to see.

When I read the title about the specs being leaked I was expecting more along the lines of "it will use this architecture, possibly at this clock speed, and with X and Y number of cores!".

As it stands right now the screen size and stuff is neat and all but what I find interesting, being Apple's first ARM based Mac, are details about the CPU and GPU. Will it have a new CPU architecture compared to the A13? Will it support ARMv9? How many cores will it have? At what frequency?

These are in my opinion the important questions that will be interesting to get answered. Because they will show how Apple's ARM chips will stack up against x86.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

When I read the title about the specs being leaked I was expecting more along the lines of "it will use this architecture, possibly at this clock speed, and with X and Y number of cores!".

As it stands right now the screen size and stuff is neat and all but what I find interesting, being Apple's first ARM based Mac, are details about the CPU and GPU. Will it have a new CPU architecture compared to the A13? Will it support ARMv9? How many cores will it have? At what frequency?

These are in my opinion the important questions that will be interesting to get answered. Because they will show how Apple's ARM chips will stack up against x86.

Ah yeah, that's fair.  I'd love to see that too.  I am wondering if they'll be super beefy ARM chips considering they'll have more cooling available than a phone or tablet can provide.  We've never really seen a "full powered" ARM chip, at least on the consumer market iirc.  Most, if not all of them on the consumer market are for smartphones and tablets (and game consoles).

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

There may be some clue in the x vs z designation if those have both been used before.  If it’s got only one port how powerful the cpu is may not matter though.  It could blow 4800Us out of the water and still not be usable for a lot of people.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There may be some clue in the x vs z designation if those have both been used before.  If it’s got only one port how powerful the cpu is may not matter though.  It could blow 4800Us out of the water and still not be usable for a lot of people.

I see a lot of people on this forum complain about ports but honestly, over the last couple of years I have gone from wanting tons of ports to barely using any of them.

When I sit down I want to use a dock so number of ports on the laptop itself is not important. When I am out on the go I very rarely have more than one thing connected at a time.

I think having a lot of ports is overrated on this forum. Some people most likely needs lots of ports, but I think the majority of people who complain would probably be fine with way less ports than they think... Assuming they have proper peripherals like a dock at their desk.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I see a lot of people on this forum complain about ports but honestly, over the last couple of years I have gone from wanting tons of ports to barely using any of them.

When I sit down I want to use a dock so number of ports on the laptop itself is not important. When I am out on the go I very rarely have more than one thing connected at a time.

I think having a lot of ports is overrated on this forum. Some people most likely needs lots of ports, but I think the majority of people who complain would probably be fine with way less ports than they think... Assuming they have proper peripherals like a dock at their desk.

A dock would work for some.  The problem is dock is for desktop replacement. It becomes another part to carry around and possibly even to power.  Takes the point out of a thin laptop.  They’re effectively dongles and huge ones at that.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

To be perfectly honest, I highly doubt a port is going to be a problem for 99% of users that would buy this laptop.

2 would definitely be ideal so you can charge + use peripherals but 1 is still workable.

Port multiplier adapters have been a thing forever. If this runs USB-C, you can have a small dongle plug into one USB-C port that gives you everything you need, including USB-A ports, SD Card Reader, HDMI output, etc.

My fiancee bought the new 2020 Macbook Air and it only has 2 USB-C ports, and she literally only uses one of them when not charging - she uses a dongle like I described above. Neither of us own any USB-C peripherals anyway (though she just bought a USB-C DVD-writer for burning CD's).

On top of that, people who need a lot more ports won't be satisfied with 2 ports anyway. A Docking Station or a multi-port dongle would solve 99% of users problems.

And as mentioned, Apple could easily design a dock or a dongle that provides USB-C Power Delivery Passthrough, allowing you to plug the charger into the Dock/Dongle.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

26 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To be perfectly honest, I highly doubt a port is going to be a problem for 99% of users that would buy this laptop.

2 would definitely be ideal so you can charge + use peripherals but 1 is still workable.

Port multiplier adapters have been a thing forever. If this runs USB-C, you can have a small dongle plug into one USB-C port that gives you everything you need, including USB-A ports, SD Card Reader, HDMI output, etc.

My fiancee bought the new 2020 Macbook Air and it only has 2 USB-C ports, and she literally only uses one of them when not charging - she uses a dongle like I described above. Neither of us own any USB-C peripherals anyway (though she just bought a USB-C DVD-writer for burning CD's).

On top of that, people who need a lot more ports won't be satisfied with 2 ports anyway. A Docking Station or a multi-port dongle would solve 99% of users problems.

And as mentioned, Apple could easily design a dock or a dongle that provides USB-C Power Delivery Passthrough, allowing you to plug the charger into the Dock/Dongle.

I refer you to the last time Apple tried to build a laptop with only one port.  It was a disaster.  I think that one may have even had a power port as well, so even more ports and it was still a disaster.  This whole thing is discussed earlier in the thread.  The fewer ports the more people will need an adaptor dongle for more situations and the less portable the device gets.  A lot aren’t needed. I would say two is bare minimum and 4 is plenty.  With 4 a port replicator dock is mostly a desktop thing.  With fewer it isn’t. With one it’s something that must be bought by everyone and carried most of the time effectively making the device bigger and more cumbersome and two pieces to boot.  The whole reason for a laptop over a tablet is to avoid the whole multiple parts garbage.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

There's only 2 ports I need, sadly the ones most commonly removed, Ethernet and VGA. Most other connections have direct plugin support or inline converter/dongle so you don't have to carry around or find multiple different thing to get what you need working. But especially Ethernet for me that is a must, I use that way too often and can sometime be needed to fix a fault and I don't want to have to go dongle hunting when I'm in a secure room with thousands of Ethernet Cables, DAC cable, SFP/QSFP modules, cables out the bloody ears but that last thing you'll find is an Ethernet dongle for a laptop because why on earth would there be one there.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

There's only 2 ports I need, sadly the ones most commonly removed, Ethernet and VGA. Most other connections have direct plugin support or inline converter/dongle so you don't have to carry around or find multiple different thing to get what you need working. But especially Ethernet for me that is a must, I use that way too often and can sometime be needed to fix a fault and I don't want to have to go dongle hunting when I'm in a secure room with thousands of Ethernet Cables, DAC cable, SFP/QSFP modules, cables out the bloody ears but that last thing you'll find is an Ethernet dongle for a laptop because why on earth would there be one there.

Specialized ports like ethernet or video ports are likely totally out of the running.  The report says one USBC only.  Apple did announce thunderbolt for ARM macs so that is at least known false.  Lately they’ve been making laptops with 4 thunderbolt ports.  There is probably a reason.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Specialized ports like ethernet or video ports are likely totally out of the running.  The report says one USBC only.  Apple did announce thunderbolt for ARM macs so that is at least known false.  Lately they’ve been making laptops with 4 thunderbolt ports.  There is probably a reason.

Well the comment chain was more in general, I don't expect those ports from Apple at all ever anymore lol. But yea would be nice on MacBook Pros but no point on anything else.