Rumored Specs for Apple's ARM Based MacBooks have "Leaked".

I think it’ll sell like hot cake. I see that multiple people here say its performance will be bad and I strongly disagree with that. Consider the 2018 iPad Pro and how much better the newer chips are. So the rumored laptop will be at least as snappy as the iPad Pro. My 2018 iPad Pro can handle 3D modeling software really well, it may not handle a large 3D model but for students and lighter users it will do. I think the worst component of Apple laptops has been the Intel CPUs because intel dragged their feet every step of the process. Intel’s incompetence caused Apple laptops to consistently carry last gen chips. Personally I’m excited to see what the new Apple laptops will do in terms of performance and battery life. The 1 USB-C port would be a bummer unless Apple includes a USB-C port on the charger like the Microsoft Surface products.

It’ll be a bad couple of years for buying PCs because the transition to ARM will lower the resell value of a lot of devices. If the new MacBooks have 15-20 hours of battery life, nobody is going to pay the current prices for used laptops.

Maybe if/when Apple captures a decent chunk of the PC market, Microsoft will finally be forced to reinvent/fix Windows and its many many flaws. While device makers have improved design and manufacturing quality, they are held back by Windows 10. (The last good Windows was Windows 7)

Even if you don’t like Apple, I think they’ll push the industry to do better. Obviously they are doing it for their own gain like making the iPhone 1, but competitors will have to respond. You might never buy their products but every OEM is going to do their best to match Apple’s feature/performance and that’s good. At least that’s what I hope; it’s possible that the rest of the industry will struggle to keep up like what happened with the Apple Watch.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s what I read.  Basically a single UsbC that would be eaten for charging anyway. So effectively none. 

Sad. I mean, how can you charge a premium for a 'laptop' that is so slimmed down, its almost useless for anything other than browsing facebook and updating your twitter status...

Oh, I know...Apple.

3 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Nope, they're probably sure their customers will buy overpriced dongles with power passthrough and/or use monitors that also have a USB hub built-in, using the single port for power and data. It wouldn't surprise me if their next move is sell the laptop charger separately.

The lemmings will follow them right over the cliff.

9 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

I think it’ll sell like hot cake. I see that multiple people here say its performance will be bad and I strongly disagree with that. Consider the 2018 iPad Pro and how much better the newer chips are. So the rumored laptop will be at least as snappy as the iPad Pro. My 2018 iPad Pro can handle 3D modeling software really well, it may not handle a large 3D model but for students and lighter users it will do. I think the worst component of Apple laptops has been the Intel CPUs because intel dragged their feet every step of the process. Intel’s incompetence caused Apple laptops to consistently carry last gen chips. Personally I’m excited to see what the new Apple laptops will do in terms of performance and battery life. The 1 USB-C port would be a bummer unless Apple includes a USB-C port on the charger like the Microsoft Surface products.

It’ll be a bad couple of years for buying PCs because the transition to ARM will lower the resell value of a lot of devices. If the new MacBooks have 15-20 hours of battery life, nobody is going to pay the current prices for used laptops.

Maybe if/when Apple captures a decent chunk of the PC market, Microsoft will finally be forced to reinvent/fix Windows and its many many flaws. While device makers have improved design and manufacturing quality, they are held back by Windows 10. (The last good Windows was Windows 7)

Even if you don’t like Apple, I think they’ll push the industry to do better. Obviously they are doing it for their own gain like making the iPhone 1, but competitors will have to respond. You might never buy their products but every OEM is going to do their best to match Apple’s feature/performance and that’s good. At least that’s what I hope; it’s possible that the rest of the industry will struggle to keep up like what happened with the Apple Watch.

This seems to be about performance where you compare not to other laptops but other tablets. Also when doing this you talk about cpu speed.    CPU speed is a potential issue but let’s pretend it’s not a problem.  The thing is fast enough.  That’s STILL not the main issue.  It doesn’t have enough I/o to do the things that tablets can’t do.   The whole reason people BUY laptops instead of tablets.  There is the “it’s got an attached keyboard so I can type on it” thing but that can be done with tablets already.   There’s no reason to make this device if there’s no useful I/o on it. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Apple fans buy MacBook Pros with broken keyboards to browse through Facebook, Twitter and watch videos on YouTube... I know it is weird and makes no sense, but they exist and will probably buy this thing.

Completely agree on that, but the same customers already bought overpriced dongles to get more ports on their previous MacBooks. They already did it to the extreme: the MacBook 12 inch had a single port, the current Air has two ports and they recently increased the Pro 13 inch to four ports.

re: Mac users.  
so they could have been using a tablet.  By “broken keyboard” are you referring to the butterfly keyboard?  That thing  that was so bad Apple had to just dump it? 

Re dongles:

Exactly.  They dongled it like that single power outlet in “a Christmas story” because they had to.  It sucked and the thing didn’t sell well.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:41 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Considering Apple have been pushing for lighter! and thinner! at the expense of repairability and upgradability, thus making their products disposable when the next OS update comes out and your model isn't supported so sorry please buy a new iProduct, I have no interest whatsoever.

However, this is all just spec and rumor and I"m sure somewhere in translation, the pricetag got jumbled and a "1" is missing in front of that 799.

(I'm not actually an Apple hater, I have owned many, I just hate what they have become)

Not quite sure where you got 'disposable when the next update comes out and your model isn't supported' pretty sure macs get about 7 years of OS updates, can't really call that disposable by any margin.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This seems to be about performance where you compare not to other laptops but other tablets. Also when doing this you talk about cpu speed.    CPU speed is a potential issue but let’s pretend it’s not a problem.  The thing is fast enough.  That’s STILL not the main issue.  It doesn’t have enough I/o to do the things that tablets can’t do.   The whole reason people BUY laptops instead of tablets.  There is the “it’s got an attached keyboard so I can type on it” thing but that can be done with tablets already.   There’s no reason to make this device if there’s no useful I/o on it. 

I don’t know, people, even Linus (who bashed it), have adapted to the whole dongle life. I would want some basic IO, more than the proposed options here, but I don’t need much.

On a mobile device like a laptop, iO is less important than it used to be as new technologies and services have come out.  

Also, Why I go to a laptop over a tablet is mainly for UI. MacOS for example offers more functionality than iOS. Mobile UI is good for broad strokes and simplistic workflows, but the flexibility of desktop OS, input devices, and its UI can make Getting things done easier and quicker.

I'm going to be confused if they say that the reason for 1 USB-C is to make the product slim, convenient, and portable. Dongles take away convenience and how do justify being able to fit a USB-C port on one side but not the other side? Probably extra circuitry, but I'm baffled how it seems Apple didn't learn from the original one port wonder Macbook.

A thing to remember is this is actually worse than the 1 port wonder because it at least had a power cable and a port.  This doesn’t even have that.  If the thing is plugged in it’s not a 1 port wonder it’s a zero port wonder. Thing need at least 4 ports and it needs at least 2 on a given right or left side.  This allows a person to plug it in from either side and have a working port for some other device on that side.  That’s “decent usable I/o” after that perhaps diminishing returns but that is decent I/o.  1 port on either side used to even be offered by Apple keyboards.  How is just one port even vaguely acceptable for anyone.  It’s not computer level I/o.   All the thing would be is a big phone.  Why buy it?

47 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

I'm going to be confused if they say that the reason for 1 USB-C is to make the product slim, convenient, and portable. Dongles take away convenience and how do justify being able to fit a USB-C port on one side but not the other side? Probably extra circuitry, but I'm baffled how it seems Apple didn't learn from the original one port wonder Macbook.

Keep in mind that this is a rumor from a dubious source. I don't know why so many people in this thread are treating it as absolute fact... well, besides the usual immature anti-Apple types looking for something to fuel their rage.

Imagine though if USB-C was a default standard these days instead of USB-A. Mice, keyboards, USB hubs, card readers and USB thumbdrives and portable HDD's all using tiny USB-C connectors. That would be frigging sweet. USB-A has been around ever since I started using PC's in late 90's. It's really time we move on and speed up adoption of USB-C for peripherals. Just imagine a laptop with 6x USB-C that you can fit into space of 3x USB-A connectors.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:38 AM, Spotty said:

Single USB-C? Would that mean you can't have a dongle plugged in while charging?

Same as the 2015 MacBook, and Lenovo Chromebook Duet.

52 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Keep in mind that this is a rumor from a dubious source. I don't know why so many people in this thread are treating it as absolute fact... well, besides the usual immature anti-Apple types looking for something to fuel their rage.

They’re not alone.  I’m seeing many articles based on it.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

They’re not alone.  I’m seeing many articles based on it.

Yes but what is the source for those other articles?

Often it becomes a circle where they're all ultimately sourcing the same "original source" (or sourcing a place that sourced the "original source").

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes but what is the source for those other articles?

Often it becomes a circle where they're all ultimately sourcing the same "original source" (or sourcing a place that sourced the "original source").

Exactly.  It’s weak even for a rumor, but it’s being repeated a lot by people who shouldn’t be doing so.

40 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Same as the 2015 MacBook, and Lenovo Chromebook Duet.

So Liked initially because thin, but hated by the public after a very short time. 

3 hours ago, iEimis said:

Not quite sure where you got 'disposable when the next update comes out and your model isn't supported' pretty sure macs get about 7 years of OS updates, can't really call that disposable by any margin.

and non mac laptops easily gets twice that amount from both windows and linux distros.

Macs are artificially made disposable by Apple in contrast  

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, Spindel said:

My HP laptop from work says hello.

Is that a shit design too.  Fucking surrounded by out of touch shit designers these days.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Is that a shit design too.  Fucking surrounded by out of touch shit designers these days.

Bright side at least  they don’t have their fingers in the shit. :)

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s fair. I’m sure they are targeting a particular group of users who don’t really want an iPad but like it’s portability and price. This would definitely not be for power users. A lot of people at my former company used iPads with keyboards for emails and note taking; they would want this.

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Macs are artificially made disposable by Apple in contrast  

Not at all, you might stop getting majore OS update after 10 years but apple still push out sec updates after that and you can continue to use them on the older OS (like you do currently if you have a 10 year old laptop it will not run window10).  Apple laptops have a long history of providing users much longer lifespans also due to the small number of product lines apple sells and the volumes they sell at in if you buy a random laptop today and in 7 years need a spare part you will find that there will be many many more laptops just like your in repair shops acting as donor boards for a repair, this is just how the volume math works out.

12 hours ago, Sauron said:

1 port is definitely an issue and carrying adapters around completely nullifies the supposed advantage of being thinner or lighter (even though there are laptops that are equally thin and light while having more powers). Also 8gb of ram at 800$ is ridiculous at this point. There are phones with more ram than that at a lower price.

It’s enough for the target market who are going to be using this laptop for basic web browsing and typing documents. 

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

(like you do currently if you have a 10 year old laptop it will not run window10)

Says who? 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

It seems it will run on some very old hardware if these specs are accurate.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 7/31/2020 at 4:34 PM, Salv8 (sam) said:

All Macs have a headphone jack. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)