Rumored Specs for Apple's ARM Based MacBooks have "Leaked".

Nice battery life (if true... I have yet to see a laptop truly live up to the advertised battery life).

Could be somewhat good for school purposes depending on the type of work you'd use it for.

Other than that... Well, it's ARM. Basically a glorified iPad with a keyboard and trackpad.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

But we're not "most people" and this is a tech forum, if there's a place to trash talk this stuff it's here...

Yes

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

12 hours ago, WelshDdraig said:

Port: single USB-C

ramdom user of this machine: one sec, i need to change my laptop while listening to mu....

ramdom user of this machine: oh...

ramdom user of this machine: fuck!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

12 hours ago, Sauron said:

The 2015/2016 macbook was trash so I expect this to be equally trash. Just looking at the storage options (no doubt not upgradable in any way) this looks like a product for nobody. At least the price is less absurd.

Going by earlier videos on LTT, it seems the main issue with the MacBook was heat dissipation. Something Apple silicon would solve by essentially offering superior performance with less heat generated, and with even longer battery life to boot. If 8gb ram / 256 gb ssd on the MBA can suffice for users, the same specs would suffice for the MacBook as well. 1 port isn't really an issue when you have adaptors, and you will likely be using an adaptor to connect this to external displays as well. 

So you have an extremely affordable laptop that promises to be even thinner and lighter than before, while offering iPad Pro-level performance (ie: better than every other laptop at its price point). Looks to me like there would be a pretty huge market for it. 

Smells of BS.  What has just been described is literally an Apple tablet with the change of usbC rather than whatever that Apple power port is named.   Why would anyone pay another $300 for an attached keyboard?  There’s no reason to own this device over an Apple tablet.  The pricing is stupid, and Apple owns the high end so why would they give it up?  My suspicion is what was released was the specs and price for the development mule.  Apple releasing a product like that at that price is just dumb. 

as to the power thing I was told that mips for mips risc and Cisc are about the same.  The difference is risc has massively better wait states so while they’re actually doing work they’re about the same speed, but when they’re not there’s an advantage.  I dunno how true this is.  Might have been but no longer is perhaps.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm looking forward to see the actual products just out of curiosity what they'll do with ARM CPU's. It's unlikely I'll ever own them because prices are just ridiculous and I'm usually not gonna pay more than 500€ for a laptop (my last one was with Ryzen 5 2500U, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD for that kind of money, with Windows 10!). Almost everything from Apple seems to be like 800€ and above, but really more in the +1200€ region, making it unlikely I'll ever even try MacOS first hand...

9 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

This topic was on the Wan Show like back on January, nothing came of it. Considering the move to Arm, it's clear that Apple doesn't care about the gaming industry since developers won't go out of their way to optimise and make their games work on Arm.

12 hours ago, Kisai said:

IMO, sounds like the iPad. Even it it was a MacBook, that still puts it closer to the Macbook Air design.

As for single USB-C , yikes people, that is literately what every ultrabook has moved towards. Look at the Dell 13"

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/xps-13-laptop/spd/xps-13-7390-laptop/cax13w10p1c606cv2#features_section

3 USB-C ports, because it's too thin to have USB-A ports. The predecessor to this only had 2.

Anyway, USB-C/TB docks are far more versatile than what people seem to think. You can get power, displayport for two monitors, ethernet, audio and several USB devices from the same dock.

But it needs to be pointed out that if you need to carry around a dock that weighs more than the laptop, I think the laptops have become too small.

I plug HDMI into my USB-C adaptor (which has power pass through) and I loose the ability to quick charge, and my tablet battery starts draining. The docks and adapters aren't as useful as you'd think. Having 2 USB-C ports is still necessary (I've seen tablets which have them side by side while being thinner than the 2015 Macbook).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I plug HDMI into my USB-C adaptor (which has power pass through) and I loose the ability to quick charge, and my tablet battery starts draining. The docks and adapters aren't as useful as you'd think. Having 2 USB-C ports is still necessary (I've seen tablets which have them side by side while being thinner than the 2015 Macbook).

Then that's a problem with the hardware you're using. The Dell laptops do not do this, and any laptop up to 120w can be powered and charged while driving both monitors on the WD15 or WD19 dock. Dell 17" laptops can not be driven by a single USB-C PD power supply and require the Dell WD19DC, or to have it's 240w power brick plugged in.

If there is only a single USB-C port, then a competent dock will work. There are many docks out there that DO NOT power the connected device, and that might be what you're running into.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

Then that's a problem with the hardware you're using. The Dell laptops do not do this, and any laptop up to 120w can be powered and charged while driving both monitors on the WD15 or WD19 dock. Dell 17" laptops can not be driven by a single USB-C PD power supply and require the Dell WD19DC, or to have it's 240w power brick plugged in.

If there is only a single USB-C port, then a competent dock will work. There are many docks out there that DO NOT power the connected device, and that might be what you're running into.

The WD docks use a dedicated power brick...they don't run off a standard USB-C quick charger, unlike my TabPro S, or the 2015 Macbook (both actually similar products). They also cost upwards of $200 for the WD15, and $400 for the WD19.

Also, the $80 adapter quick charges them just fine even with an optical drive plugged in...

PMSL

38 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Also, the $80 adapter quick charges them just fine even with an optical drive plugged in...

That's the problem then, isn't it. You're trying to run a docking device off a USB-C PD that doesn't supply USB-PD itself. The Dell docks provide USB-PD because they are designed to supply the maximum power, and in the case of the WD19DC, ~240w over two USB-C connections. The WD19's and and WD15's always shipped with 130w or 180w power supplies that you would find standard with all the pre-2015 laptops that now use USB-C. Anything that can take 90w or less can be powered by USB-C monitors which operate in the same way. The monitors themselves aren't going to also be powered by USB-C.

Here's a cheap and an expensive monitor to compare.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-4k-usb-c-monitor-u3219q/apd/210-aqzz/monitors-monitor-accessories

image.png.160f4e629aad53f5c4319fed1206e38b.png

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-usb-c-monitor-p2419hc/apd/210-aqco/monitors-monitor-accessories

image.png.4822f4474ddb8c170f15fb1b0bce7b14.png

6 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

Applelogist: No one ever needed to charge and listen to music at the same time before this

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

11 hours ago, Commodus said:

it doesn't have to buy chips from someone else.

perhaps one of the reasons why Apple is ditching Intel is because of the absurd pricing of its chips. The i5-1038NG7 costs $320 and the i7-1068NG7 costs $426 and this is just 10 nm that got delayed multiple times. Apple can definitely save a lot by using its own in-house chips.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

First we had rumors, then we had leaks,  now we have leaked rumors.   Next we'll have a leak that hints at a rumor that a leak is rumored to happen soon.

Also dongles are a shit way to do anything.  Only a crap design requires you buy extra hardware to make anything work.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

40 minutes ago, mr moose said:

First we had rumors, then we had leaks,  now we have leaked rumors.   Next we'll have a leak that hints at a rumor that a leak is rumored to happen soon.

Also dongles are a shit way to do anything.  Only a crap design requires you buy extra hardware to make anything work.

Especially at $200+

PMSL

If there was a 15”/14”/16” whatever they go with, I’d probably get it. I don’t need any real graphics, just screen estate and a nice keyboard. 12” is just too small.

12 hours ago, abazigal said:

Going by earlier videos on LTT, it seems the main issue with the MacBook was heat dissipation. Something Apple silicon would solve by essentially offering superior performance with less heat generated, and with even longer battery life to boot. If 8gb ram / 256 gb ssd on the MBA can suffice for users, the same specs would suffice for the MacBook as well. 1 port isn't really an issue when you have adaptors, and you will likely be using an adaptor to connect this to external displays as well. 

1 port is definitely an issue and carrying adapters around completely nullifies the supposed advantage of being thinner or lighter (even though there are laptops that are equally thin and light while having more powers). Also 8gb of ram at 800$ is ridiculous at this point. There are phones with more ram than that at a lower price.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

My HP laptop from work says hello.

22 hours ago, Sauron said:

But we're not "most people" and this is a tech forum, if there's a place to trash talk this stuff it's here...

The notion of trash talking a tech product in a tech forum Doesn’t make sense. If this were a “real” tech forum wouldn’t we be discussing the merits and detriments of the hardware change, it’s potential and limitations? Talking trash smacks of fanboism.

So, basically a macbook comparable to a 2016 macbook at an inflated price. Apple doing what Apple does best...

Yeah, no thanks.

9 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Would be way better if it had an additional USB-C port (preferably with Thunderbolt) and a headphone jack. The rest of the specs seem reasonable for their public. The price is a completely different story. Most of us probably expected a price drop with the switch to ARM, as we have been told that it would happen to Windows laptops, but it was not the case.

This is Apple we're talking about. 

20 minutes ago, Ertman said:

The notion of trash talking a tech product in a tech forum Doesn’t make sense. If this were a “real” tech forum wouldn’t we be discussing the merits and detriments of the hardware change, it’s potential and limitations? Talking trash smacks of fanboism.

Uh... if your only contention is with calling it "trash talking" you can just call it "criticizing"... as for the move to ARM, that's not what's being discussed here, it has already been talked about independently of this specific product and it doesn't really affect my judgment of it; even if the ARM chips turn out to be amazing this format would make it really hard to make use of that potential.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Would be way better if it had an additional USB-C port (preferably with Thunderbolt) and a headphone jack. The rest of the specs seem reasonable for their public. The price is a completely different story. Most of us probably expected a price drop with the switch to ARM, as we have been told that it would happen to Windows laptops, but it was not the case.

Assumes this thing has any legitimacy of course but we’re Apple to do such a thing it would be crazy.  There are reasons people buy laptops instead of tablets and this thing has none of them.  This would be very much a “we gave a tablet a keyboard because we think you’re idiots” move.  Tablets have WiFi.  They already CAN have keyboards.  Keyboards are the most visible difference between tablets and real computers, but the big difference is I/o.  Keyboard are merely part of I/o.  Apple has long had a problem with not enough I/o.  This is taking that to an extreme.  almost non functional I/o.  Thing needs at an absolute minimum 2usbC, a thunderbolt(or usb4 or whatever) and headphone/mic.  It needs to be able to charge while running something else, have an external monitor, and probably a mouse as well. The device as described can’t stream or edit, except using internal devices (assuming they are even put it) 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Assumes this thing has any legitimacy of course but we’re Apple to do such a thing it would be crazy.  There are reasons people buy laptops instead of tablets and this thing has none of them.  This would be very much a “we gave a tablet a keyboard because we think you’re idiots” move.  Tablets have WiFi.  They already CAN have keyboards.  Keyboards are the most visible difference between tablets and real computers, but the big difference is I/o.  Keyboard are merely part of I/o.  Apple has long had a problem with not enough I/o.  This is taking that to an extreme.  almost non functional I/o. 

Did I read this right...1...1 USB??!??!??

My $35 pi3 has more connectivity options...

Apple probably wants you to buy their $90 usb hub...

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

Did I read this right...1...1 USB??!??!??

My $35 pi3 has more connectivity options...

Apple probably wants you to buy their $90 usb hub...

That’s what I read.  Basically a single UsbC that would be eaten for charging anyway. So effectively none.