Senate vote allows FBI access to your browsing history without a warrant

Clueless_Gamer
15 hours ago, Energycore said:

I wonder if from the coding side it's enough to have an extension that periodically erases your browser history, or are we going to have to prevent the browser from writing to the history entirely. Like, does this reform allow the FBI to remote into my computer at any time and read off my browser history once every second.

My understanding of the situation is that if it's possible to do then "they"[alphabet soup orgs] are already doing, or trying to do, it, and will seek public permission or legislative support only after lying repeatedly has failed and when it's convenient to do so and it becomes required for reasons other than common decency, morality, or the law.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

VPN, VPN, VPN. This way when they ask your ISP for logs (LMAO at everyone thinking they'll take your history from your computer) all they get is a permanently encrypted connection to a server is Slovenia.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 hours ago, Clueless_Gamer said:

--SNIP--

My Take -

How convenient is it, they had the vote when half the country is shut down, and the senators who would vote in favor were absent. that's wrong and absurd.

Source -

https://www.techspot.com/news/85226-senate-vote-allows-fbi-access-browsing-history-without.html#commentsOffset

"Yes Mr. Government, you indeed seem to have found odd browsing history on that computer. I'm not sure how it got into my <completely unprotected and writable by any application on my pc> history file, I must have malware installed. Ha ha ha, can't trust these closed source Operating Systems, right?"

To be clear, I'm not saying this would hold up in court, nor am I a lawyer, but there will come a time and place where plausible deniability is used on a daily basis.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

11 minutes ago, kirashi said:

"Yes Mr. Government, you indeed seem to have found odd browsing history on that computer. I'm not sure how it got into my <completely unprotected and writable by any application on my pc> history file, I must have malware installed. Ha ha ha, can't trust these closed source Operating Systems, right?"

To be clear, I'm not saying this would hold up in court, nor am I a lawyer, but there will come a time and place where plausible deniability is used on a daily basis.

Except they'll take your history log from your ISP which isn't open and writeable to by any application, it literally is logging the addresses as your router requests them from the DNS.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Except they'll take your history log from your ISP which isn't open and writeable to any application, it literally is logging the addresses as your router requests them from the DNS.

"I didn't click my mouse. At least, I don't think that was me. However, I do have a cat that likes to sit on my desk. At least, I think she sat on my desk. Did you see her sit on my keyboard earlier? No? Neither did I, so unless you've got a spy camera, your guess is as good as mine. If you find out that it indeed was my finger that clicked to visit that specific website, please let me know so I can own up to my actions. Until then, guess you'll have to keep digging."

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

23 minutes ago, kirashi said:

"I didn't click my mouse. At least, I don't think that was me. However, I do have a cat that likes to sit on my desk. At least, I think she sat on my desk. Did you see her sit on my keyboard earlier? No? Neither did I, so unless you've got a spy camera, your guess is as good as mine. If you find out that it indeed was my finger that clicked to visit that specific website, please let me know so I can own up to my actions. Until then, guess you'll have to keep digging."

Right, your cat just happened to type in www.kiddiefiddler.com 69 times in the last 3 weeks....

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Right, your cat just happened to type in www.kiddiefiddler.com 69 times in the last 3 weeks....

I was going to make a joke about that and music tuition, but holy hell it wasnt appropriate for this forum!

44 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I was going to make a joke about that and music tuition, but holy hell it wasnt appropriate for this forum!

Nah, its fine in this context, it was clearly meant as a joke.

The point is correct though, the people they'll be monitoring will be known criminals who frequent these websites regularly. Its about profile building, not spying on random people for no reason.

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I swear the patriot act is being turned into everything it wasn't suppose to be

I disagree, it was always supposed to be a way for the US government to do whatever the heck it wants using 9/11 as an excuse.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Guys, you're all talking about removing history from your browser, but I imagine that stuff will be tracked and accessed on ISP level, without a VPN they can see each and every site you visit, and keep a history of it.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

23 hours ago, Jotoco said:

This illusion of a republic or democracy is just another illusion, really. 

@GDRRiley @NZgamer @Bananasplit_00 @Dabombinable @huilun02  An illusion, just another China? What ever happened to the process of bills to be become laws, free elections, free speech and the entire rest of American law. Just because the government misinterpreted the 5th amendment doesn't mean that America's democracy is an illusion or an authoritarian government hellbent on destroy all rights. Because American law is open to opinion, change and interpretation this means that it can be can be changed or interpreted incorrectly. Look at every other time in American history, something was happening that was against the constitution and people rights were infringed on. The 1860's had slaves which clearly went against everything that America stood for. Look at the second amendment, its 300 hundred years old and we are still figuring it out today.  The reason why America was started was because a group of intellectuals felt that their rights had been infringed on and they wanted CHANGE. The whole point of America is to change and be revised for the benefit of its citizens. This revision was a horrible one that goes against what we stand for. I believe that it will be fixed because of the rights and the irrevocably privileges given to use by our non-illusory democracy. To say that the whole American democracy is an illusion/China because of horrible change in the law is pathetic. Rhetoric like this is the reason why this law might never be changed. To sit back in your chair and say,"Oh America is just another China, our/their rights are just an illusion." If Abraham Lincoln had said, yes American democracy would be an illusion, but since he fought for the rights of his citizens and since he and so many others in our history have fought to keep our democracy a real and living part of our existence, it is no illusion, it is a real and beautiful reality.

7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I swear the patriot act is being turned into everything it wasn't suppose to be and even then it should be gone after the next time it comes up for re authorization because it needs that. to all who live in the US around that time hound your representatives.

That is the kinda of talk we need, as Americans it is our job to incite change.

PS My apologies for my fiery wording, just thought i'd express my ideas and give you all a civics lesson. :) 

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

Yeah this fucking sucks. The government can basically view browsing history freely without a warrant, of course, this totally won't be abused

Well, they'll be disappointed to know that most of my searches are if I'm speeling werds corretly.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Who cares they are free citizens they have guns. 

LULW

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, elfensky said:

Guys, you're all talking about removing history from your browser, but I imagine that stuff will be tracked and accessed on ISP level, without a VPN they can see each and every site you visit, and keep a history of it.

Yes, but while that's bad it's not as bad as accessing your local browser history - ISPs can only know what domains you access, not what requests you made. For instance they know I'm on linustechtips.com but not what I'm typing.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 hours ago, kirashi said:

"I didn't click my mouse. At least, I don't think that was me. However, I do have a cat that likes to sit on my desk."

You don't even need your cat operating your toaster for it to participate in a DDOS attack (and if you have an IoT device, it definitely is part of a botnet by now)...

2 hours ago, WambleCropped said:

What ever happened to the process of bills to be become laws,

On 5/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Clueless_Gamer said:

How convenient is it, they had the vote when half the country is shut down, and the senators who would vote in favor were absent. that's wrong and absurd.

free elections,

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/666812854/the-florida-recount-of-2000-a-nightmare-that-goes-on-haunting

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/political/florida-is-again-at-the-center-of-an-election-controversy

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/01/15/fix-voting-rights-act-voter-registration-election-infrastructure-column/2444548002/

free speech

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jan/28/julian-assange-detention-sets-dangerous-precedent-for-journalists

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/18/glenn-greenwald-guardian-partner-detained-heathrow (oh, wait, technically the UK is another country :P)

and the entire rest of American law.

SOPA, DMCA, PATRIOT... There's plenty of ups and downs.

Also, I don't think Guantanamo's limbo is human-rights compliant in any way - it's the United States' very own gulag.

To say that the whole American democracy is an illusion/China because of horrible change in the law is pathetic.

Just for the record, the many blemishes in US' democracy ("democracy", for the critics?) do not translate directly into hyperbolic statements or "quick&dirty" flawed equivalences in my personal view ("US=Mexico=Venezuela=Russia=China=Stalin=Hitler -hey, I made it!" doesn't work with me).

Rhetoric like this is the reason why this law might never be changed.

I don't think so: they main reason it may never change is the majority of people isn't even aware of it, of those aware only a handful understand it, and among those some actually support it or are the ones behind it. It just isn't something to win or lose elections, or end political careers over. Just like Obama didn't win on the closing Guantanamo promise nor he lost on breaking that promise. At best it's something to "preach to the converted".

That is the kinda of talk we need, as Americans it is our job to incite change.

I honestly hope you succeed.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Who cares they are free citizens they have guns. 

LULW

Point it into the router and shoot the logs out of the ISP

“Voted” means it went to a vote, not that it became law.  Did it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

59 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't think so: they main reason it may never change is the majority of people isn't even aware of it, of those aware only a handful understand it, and among those some actually support it or are the ones behind it. It just isn't something to win or lose elections,

exactly that's another point if forgot to bring up. In order for a democracy to succeed we need an educated and moral population to keep the those in power in check. I totally agree with you on the fact that our population is ignorant. But to address all the other points you brought up. I think that why America is so special is because he have the ability to incite and promote and most important MAKE change. All the points you brought up I would argue help me. There has never been a time in American history in which every group of people has had their rights protected and insured, but those times have always been solved. Some of them are still being solved today. Any institution has its faults, THERE CAN NEVER BE A PERFECT WAY TO DO THINGS. Some systems are less imperfect than others, however. To get philosophical about it its because we ourselves are imperfect beings. There are definitely MANY, MANY problems to solve in America and they must be solved. But to my knowledge there has never been a time when Americans or the international community has become jaded and disenchanted at our core ideals. Even when our country was falling apart in the Civil War we still fought for the ideals that were so dear to us. It is our responsibility as citizens to continue on this tradition today. 

59 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I honestly hope you succeed.

Even if all the problems stated above were solved overnight, the next day there would be a whole slew of problems. The best way for us to deal with these issues is for us to be proactive in solving them, instead of being ignorant and jaded about them. We need to revitalize our identity and responsibilities as Americans. I know I sound like a total preacher with high hopes and no evidence of actual change or a plan for change. I just thought I would share my 2 cents on what needs to be done in our country. (Yes my plan is imperfect to :) )

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

On 5/14/2020 at 10:44 AM, Windows9 said:

Looks like were going to delete our history all the time before it is sold

They're just going to go to your ISP who has a log of every website they connect you to, they're not coming to your home to check your chrome history...

On 5/14/2020 at 10:55 AM, HumdrumPenguin said:

More like not keeping any history to begin with.

See above comment.

11 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm so happy i don't live in the USA!!!

also the people running Tor and VPN companies will be laughing pretty hard right now. 

I bet there is a stipulation that any traffic that goes through US servers is subject to this same scrutiny.

12 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm so happy i don't live in the USA!!!

also the people running Tor and VPN companies will be laughing pretty hard right now. 

11 hours ago, NZgamer said:

At least down here they do not monitor all of the country's internet traffic, however, they are allowed to monitor specific people under a Type 1 Warrant which can be obtained if a person is suspected to be linked to terrorism etc.

Sources:

https://www.gcsb.govt.nz/assets/GCSB-Documents/GCSB-fact-sheet-monitoring-the-internet.pdf\

https://www.nzsis.govt.nz/our-work/our-methods/

Once the US begins to do it, I guarantee that  other countries that currently don't do it will follow

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Since no one has brought this up. This isn't a law... yet. No one needs to freak out.

image.png.6e9e062fcc552238a64a724873aae9ff.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Still haven’t confirmed or denied if this even happened as a law.  Things get voted on all the time.  Most of the time they get voted down.  Is this a law or conspiracy bs?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

you all should have two browsers. One for facebook/google/online shopping and another for general web surfing. The general websurfing one can be tor browser, or not, but the point of it is that it has a different fingerprint from the one you want the corps and governments to watch.

BTW does anyone know how to get ad DNS blocking on TOR browser?

13 hours ago, NZgamer said:

At least down here they do not monitor all of the country's internet traffic

my understanding of the 5 eyes is that your government cannot spy on you but the other 4 can. I also heard somewhere they only really care about meta data, who you are contacting and not so much the content. When they think they need the content they go talk to whoever issues permission for these things.

Also waikato university once designed the spy hardware that plugs in at the ISP level. I think the company they spun off from that research is called endace and they once published the amount of data they can record.