COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
46 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Which country do you live in?

USA. In an overpopulated city. I started social distancing before my state ordered it. Because I have pre-existing health conditions.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

“Respirator”?  Vague word.  Like an oxygen cannula?  That would leave him still conscious though bedridden.  It’s the last stage before being put on a ventilator I understand.  A ventilator requires an induced coma.  A ventilator is technically a “respirator“ though.  I don’t know what the system is for backup for his office.  The president would have the Vice President.  I don’t know what they have in britian.

The official word is that he's gettint oxygen (respirator) but he is not under ventilator (intubation)

Mr Johnson, 55, has been given oxygen but has not been put on a ventilator, cabinet minister Michael Gove said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52194875

Regarding his backup. BoJo designated Dominic Raab to be acting PM. Which is not a good thing :-S

Everyone, There is no need to panic. As long you stay at home. Every thing is fine. In my neiborhood. 30% of my neibor is infected.

and I'm still ok. 'cuz i never put my ass out of the house. i just sat there. Freeloaded a game on steam, and I played since January 23rd. So if you stick ur ass in your gaming chair. boot up steam. and play until you ran out of food or toilet paper.

1 minute ago, WaveWSBS said:

Everyone, There is no need to panic. As long you stay at home. Every thing is fine. In my neiborhood. 30% of my neibor is infected.

and I'm still ok. 'cuz i never put my ass out of the house. i just sat there. Freeloaded a game on steam, and I played since January 23rd. So if you stick ur ass in your gaming chair. boot up steam. and play until you ran out of food or toilet paper.

Who is panicking? O_o

41 minutes ago, WaveWSBS said:

I don't think any of us are panicking, plus I can't stay home, I have to work.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Plasma therapy was used in Wuhan I understand.  It’s a very very old technique.  I don’t know how well it works in this case.  It has worked very well on some other diseases.  Each is different though.  My understanding was the effect was limited.  To the point of “we can’t really tell if it does anything or not”.  Data seems scarce though.

Antibody transfers will generally always "work", but the issue is normally you have a very limited supply and thus use it on bad cases. Problem is, for COVID19, generally antibodies aren't the issue by the time you're in bad shape. Much the reason the anti-viral treatments wouldn't be too useful by the time someone is on a ventilator. It's not the virus but the body's cascading response that's the problem. 

Some sort of mass-produced antibody treatment that can be given at the early signs of trouble would be valuable, which is what we saw going around the news a few days ago, but that's going to be months off. 

Edit: Oddly enough, Boris Johnson, at least from the stated public information, would be a candidate that would likely have a solid response to a plasma transfer approach. It could potentially kick it over the edge and boost the healing process.

3 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

USA. In an overpopulated city. I started social distancing before my state ordered it. Because I have pre-existing health conditions.

Since you are in the states you can still physically leave your home.

Its still very easily to practice social distancing while outside. Bike rides, walks, drives, etc are all still safe as long as you stay away from people.

And this is what makes humans great!

Formula 1 team begins producing breathing aid

Mercedes-AMG HPP has begun production of the breathing aid its F1 team developed with engineers at University College London and clinicians at UCLH.

The Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device is used to deliver oxygen to a patient's lungs without using a ventilator.

They are already used in UK hospitals but are in short supply.

The company produced nearly 600 CPAP devices on Monday and is hoping to increase that to 1,000 a day.

The government has ordered 10,000 of the breathing aids, which are being made on machines that would normally produce Formula 1 pistons and turbochargers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52193858

CPAP devices are the same base technology used for treating sleeping apnea. But this one is a bit different

If your hands now slowly starts to look like prunes because of frequent hand washing, pick a soap with the least amount of harsh chemicals and skip the antibacterial hand soap. Also, there’s nothing wrong with using a hand lotion afterwards. 

image.jpeg.e99dc6fc4bbb5990480227da45b896ee.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

An interesting study linking air quality and amount of Covid-19 deaths:

New Research Links Air Pollution to Higher Coronavirus Death Rates

WASHINGTON — Coronavirus patients in areas that had high levels of air pollution before the pandemic are more likely to die from the infection than patients in cleaner parts of the country, according to a new nationwide study that offers the first clear link between long-term exposure to pollution and Covid-19 death rates.

In an analysis of 3,080 counties in the United States, researchers at the Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health found that higher levels of the tiny, dangerous particles in air known as PM 2.5 were associated with higher death rates from the disease.

For weeks, public health officials have surmised a link between dirty air and death or serious illness from Covid-19, which is caused by the coronavirus. The Harvard analysis is the first nationwide study to show a statistical link, revealing a “large overlap” between Covid-19 deaths and other diseases associated with long-term exposure to fine particulate matter.

“The results of this paper suggest that long-term exposure to air pollution increases vulnerability to experiencing the most severe Covid-19 outcomes,” the authors wrote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/climate/air-pollution-coronavirus-covid.html

I've heard/read about the link between smokers and death probability, and in a way this relates.

It's all link lungs and immune system related.

I'll keep that on the side pf of my mind and wait for more info on the subject.

Edited by Guest
fixed an "error". Fed up with the "auto-correct" that replaces words without "asking" :(

10 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I've heard/read about the link between smokers and death probability, and in a way this relates.

It's all link and immune system related.

I'll keep that on the side pf my m ind and wait for more info on the subject.

Make sense. 

Wuhan targets the lungs so if your lungs are weakend due to poor air quality or smoking then id imagine youd be a good bit worse off.

Id imagine that would be the same for a lot of viruses as well. 

2 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

An interesting study linking air quality

Good luck to those living in Bakersfield. A lot of the smog drifts there from LA.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

4 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Make sense. 

Wuhan targets the lungs so if your lungs are weakend due to poor air quality or smoking then id imagine youd be a good bit worse off.

Id imagine that would be the same for a lot of viruses as well. 

A city targets lungs?  I think you mean covid-19?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Between my fingers its just dry sometimes use lotion if gets to dry before i go sleep

That’s not dryness that’s water saturation.  It looks like you just got out of the pool.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

A city targets lungs?  I think you mean covid-19?

You knew what i meant. Theres many different terms used for it.  

4 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

It's all link lungs and immune system related.

I'll keep that on the side pf of my mind and wait for more info on the subject.

“Link” is one of those super vague terms that can mean something or nothing. Smoking DOES affect throat cylia which could matter a lot though.  E-cigarettes don’t.

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

You knew what i meant. Theres many different terms used for it.  

No. There is one: Covid-19.

The others are highly connotated and are not welcome here.

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

No. There is one: Covid-19.

The others are highly connotated and are not welcome here.

Theres literally nothing wrong with using the other terms (corona virus, wuhan virus, etc).

If you see something wrong with saying wuhan virus. Thats on you. Your seeing something that isnt there. 

Its no different then saying "Spanish flu" instead of "1918 flu". 

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Theres literally nothing wrong with using the other terms (corona virus, wuhan virus, etc).

If you see something wrong with saying wuhan virus. Thats on you. Your seeing something that isnt there. 

Its no different then saying "Spanish flu" instead of "1918 flu". 

Spanish Flu is called like that for a reason, if you prefer we can call it the American Flu just for you and when adressing you on that specific subject (subject of the Spanish Flu and it's origin has been adressed in the previous thread too).

The guidelines for naming a virus are very clear, that subject has been explained in the other thread. Only the likes of Trump insist on calling it the Wuhan Virus or the Chinese virus, and they do it for a very specific reason, which point has been proved and demonstrated.

And it can't be called the Wuhan Virus as the first cases, dated starting november 17th have been recorded in different hospitals in Hubei province (which is bigger than North Dakota), and not in Wuhan. Plus, following the naming guidelines, simply put you can't name it after a geographical location.

That has nothing to do with me or what I prefer and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you're welcome to look for more information on the "interweb". ^o^

4 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Spanish Flu is called like that for a reason, if you prefer we can call it the American Flu just for you and when adressing you on that specific subject (subject of the Spanish Flu and it's origin has been adressed in the previous thread too).

The guidelines for naming a virus are very clear, that subject has been explained in the other thread. Only the likes of Trump insist on calling it the Wuhan Virus or the Chinese virus, and they do it for a very specific reason, which point has been proved and demonstrated.

And it can't be called the Wuhan Virus as the first cases, dated starting november 17th have been recorded in different hospitals in Hubei province (which is bigger than North Dakota), and not in Wuhan. Plus, following the naming guidelines, simply put you can't name it after a geographical location.

That has nothing to do with me or what I prefer and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you're welcome to look for more information on the "interweb". ^o^

You are trying to put your personal interpretation of what i said and why i said it as fact. When you are wrong on every account.

Has nothing to do with Trump nor is it at all an insult to any person of Wuhan or of asian race. It was being called all those terms before it even became a pandemic in the states. And in this very thread i have stated nobody should be putting ill will towards those people. I called them idiots.

Again if you find issue with the nickname (which is all it is. Just like corona virus or human malware etc. Or what people call marijuana "pot") thats because you associate it with something due to whatever reasons you have. But its asinine to try an say you can factually know why i randomly used that nickname over one of the many others. Tbh i use so.many different terms for it if he wouldnt of quoted me i wouldnt of even realized i used that particular nickname.

If/when something like this comes out of my area i wont be offended if my areas name is attatched to it in a nickname. Why would i? 

But this convo has nothing to do with the things being discussed at hand.

A very bad news regarding the symptoms and possible side-effects of CoVid-19.

Covid-19: symptoms may be neurological

Covid-19 disease can sometimes manifest itself in a neurological form. This is the finding made by medical teams several weeks after the first clinical descriptions of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection. As the Covid-19 epidemic progresses, clinicians, radiologists and neurologists are warning about these little-known clinical forms.

These neurological manifestations are in addition to the cardiological, hepatic, renal, ophthalmological, ENT and dermatological lesions recently described. While most patients with Covid-19 develop fever, cough, fatigue, and difficulty breathing, it appears that in some patients, the disease can therefore present itself in a neurological form.

American neurologists from the Henry Ford Health System of Detroit, Michigan published a case of acute necrotizing hemorrhagic encephalopathy in a woman who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 on March 31 in the journal Radiology.

... (rest of the article in the spoiler hereafter)

Spoiler

The 50-year-old patient is an airline employee who has had a cough, fever and altered consciousness for three days. Initial laboratory tests were negative for the flu virus. A diagnostic RT-PCR detection test on nasopharyngeal swabs returns positive for SARS-CoV-2. The virus could not be found in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) because analysis of the CSF was limited due to a traumatic lumbar puncture. The search for herpes viruses (VHS1 and 2), varicella-zoster virus (VZV), and West Nile virus (West Nile virus) was negative. No bacterial growth was observed on the cultures after three days.

Spoiler

cbe836d5-systeme-nerveux-central-symptom

Hemorrhage visualized on the cerebral MRI by a hyposignal on the magnetic susceptibility sequences (SWI). Enhancement of the edges of the lesions (post processing of MRI data). Poyiadji N, et al. Radiology. 2020 Mar 31:201187.

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain, on the other hand, reveals multiple symmetrical bilateral and hemorrhagic lesions. The patient receives immunoglobulins. This clinical observation represents a suspected case of necrotizing acute hemorrhagic encephalopathy associated with Covid-19.

Acute necrotizing hemorrhagic encephalopathy, a rare complication of influenza and other viral infections, is considered to be due to an intracerebral "cytokine storm". In other words, this pathology does not seem to be due to a direct attack on a virus, or a post-infectious process, but on a flood of inflammatory molecules (cytokines) produced by the immune system and having reached the brain. due to a breach in the blood-brain barrier (blood-brain barrier).

Acute spinal cord injury

On March 18, neurologists at Renmin Hospital at Wuhan University reported a case of acute myelitis after infection with SARS-CoV-2, in other words, spinal cord injury. The patient is a 66-year-old man hospitalized for acute flaccid paralysis, characterized by loss of muscle tone. He has had fever and tiredness for two days. Upon admission, his body temperature is 39 ° C. He does not cough and is not ashamed to breathe. The patient receives antiviral therapy for five days. He then undergoes a thoracic scanner which tests bilateral lung lesions.

The SARS-CoV-2 detection test in nasopharyngeal swabs is positive. Placed in isolation, this sexagenarian develops weakness of the lower limbs with urinary and fecal incontinence, which culminates in the occurrence of flaccid paralysis of the lower extremities. His clinical condition deteriorating rapidly, he was transferred to intensive care. Muscle reflexes are weakened (3/5) in the upper limbs. They are extremely weak (0/5) in the lower limbs. Superficial sensitivity is generally normal in the upper limbs, but there are disorders of sensitivity (touch, pain, temperature) in the lower part of the body up to the level of the 10th dorsal vertebra, with abnormal sensations (paraesthesia) and numbness. In view of these clinical and biological elements, the diagnosis of acute myelitis is most likely, say the authors.

Blood tests show an increase in markers of inflammation (CRP, procalcitonin, interleukin-6), as well as an elevation in liver enzymes, which indicates liver damage. The levels of ASAT and ALAT transaminases peaked on the 15th day after the onset of the disease, say hepatologists, co-signers of the article.

Blood tests have shown no evidence of recent infection with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), cytomegalovirus (CMV) or Mycoplasma pneumoniae bacteria (lack of IgM antibodies), these three pathogens may be responsible for acute myelitis.

The chest scanner shows abnormal images in both lungs, which suggest viral pneumonia. The brain scan reveals images of a stroke (bilateral infarction in the basal ganglia and in the periventricular region). In the context of a pandemic, it was not possible to perform a cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analysis, or an MRI of the spinal cord.

The patient is treated for 14 days with a cocktail combining antivirals, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and immunoglobulins. Muscle strength comes down to 4/5 in the upper limbs, 1/5 in the lower limbs. In view of two PCR tests returned negative 24 hours apart and the disappearance of pulmonary abnormalities on the chest scanner, the patient is authorized to leave the hospital to enter confinement and begin a rehabilitation program.

Neurologists believe that this patient developed acute post-infectious myelitis (involvement of the spinal cord one week after onset of fever) and therefore acute paralysis may be a neurological complication associated with Covid-19. It is possible that the inflammatory molecules produced by the immune system that fight SARS-CoV-2 may be involved in the development of spinal cord damage.

Guillain-Barré syndrome

This clinical case is reminiscent of that reported by Chinese neurologists at the Central Hospital in Jingzhou and Ruijin Hospital in Shanghai in the journal The Lancet on April 1. These doctors described a case of Covid-19, the symptoms of which started with Guillain-Barré syndrome, a pathology in which the patient's immune system attacks the peripheral nervous system.

The patient is a 61-year-old woman who presented on January 23, 2020 with acute weakness in both legs and severe fatigue. She returned from Wuhan four days earlier, on January 19, but has no fever, cough, chest pain or diarrhea. Her body temperature was 36.5 ° C. Blood tests show lymphopenia (low levels of lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell) and thrombocytopenia (a decrease in the number of platelets). The pulmonary auscultation shows nothing in particular. Neurological examination reveals muscle weakness and an absence of reflexes in both legs and feet. Three days after his hospitalization, the symptoms progress. Doctors observe a decrease in muscle strength in the upper (4/5) and lower (3/5) limbs. The surface sensitivity is reduced.

On January 30, one week after the onset of symptoms, the patient developed a dry cough and fever (38.2 ° C). The chest scanner then shows abnormal lung images (frosted glass appearance). RT-PCR tests on respiratory samples are positive. The patient was immediately transferred to an isolation room and received antivirals. Her clinical condition is gradually improving. Lymphocyte and platelet levels normalize. After discharge from the hospital, 30 days after admission, the muscle strength of the upper and lower limbs returned to normal. The respiratory symptoms have disappeared and the nasopharyngeal tests for SARS-CoV-2 are negative.

This observation therefore seems to indicate that a Guillain-Barré syndrome may occur during infection with SARS-CoV-2. In this patient, neurological symptoms appeared before fever and respiratory symptoms. The concomitance of a Guillain-Barré syndrome and an infection with SARS-CoV-2 can only question a causal link, say the authors.

It therefore appears that Covid-19 patients may not have fever and cough but only neurological symptoms at the start of the disease, in particular a stroke (cerebral hemorrhage, cerebral infarction).

Vigilance disorder

Published on February 22 on the prepublication site medRxiv, a Chinese retrospective study, conducted on 214 Covid-19 patients hospitalized in mid-February at Union Hospital in Wuhan, evaluated the frequency of neurological manifestations in Covid-19 patients. Such symptoms were observed in 78 patients (36.4%). The most severely affected patients were significantly more likely than the others to present neurological complications: cerebrovascular pathologies (5.7% versus 0.8%), impairment of consciousness (14.8% versus 2.4%).

A study, published March 31 in the British Medical Journal and involving 113 patients from Tongji Hospital (Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan), indicates that 22% of the patients who died had a disturbance in consciousness at the time of their admission.

In France, vigilance disorders (confusion, drowsiness) are considered to be a criterion of severity during hospitalization but are not among the clinical signs suggesting a SARS-CoV-2 infection. In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) mentions on their page titled Symptoms of Coronavirus that a new confusion or inability to arouse must immediately seek medical attention because these may be warning signs of the Covid-19.

Encephalopathy

In early March, US neurologists reported the case of a 74-year-old man infected with SARS-CoV-2 who developed brain damage (encephalopathy). This septuagenarian has a history of Parkinson's disease, cardiac pathology. He suffers from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, characterized by persistent respiratory symptoms due to the permanent obstruction of the airways. When he visits the emergency room of a hospital in Boca Raton, Florida, he coughs and has a fever. It has been seven days since he returned from the Netherlands. Blood tests and chest x-rays show nothing special. The patient returns home, the doctors evoking an exacerbation of his chronic pulmonary disease.

The next day, the patient was brought by his family to the emergency room because his condition worsened. His state of consciousness is altered. He has a headache, is feverish and coughs. He is hospitalized and placed in isolation. The chest scanner then shows abnormal images of the two lungs.

The patient is transferred to the neurology department because he no longer speaks and does not respond to simple orders. The brain scan shows nothing in particular, with the exception of the after-effects of a previous stroke. On the other hand, the electroencephalogram is abnormal, with signs suggesting an encephalopathy (diffuse brain damage). The patient is tested for Covid-19. The tests come back positive. The patient is treated with antiepileptics prophylactically and receives antivirals. He is kept in the intensive care unit because of his vital prognosis.
Fragile hypotheses

What are the mechanisms responsible for the Covid-19 associated neurological complications? One possibility would be that the coronavirus, after entering the nasal cavity, would gain the olfactory bulb * and then go up until reaching the brain. This is only a hypothesis, based solely on an experimental model of encephalitis in mice, in this case on 15 day old mice and therefore presenting an immature central nervous system. The study in question is based on the intranasal inoculation of a coronavirus other than SARS-CoV-2: the endemic coronavirus HCoV-OC43.

In this experimental model, as in neuronal cells in culture, the propagation of the virus from neuron to neuron takes place via axonal transport, that is to say by borrowing the extensions of nerve cells.

Likewise, propagation of the virus between neuronal connections (trans-synaptic transfer) has been documented in mice using other coronaviruses, such as HEV67 (Porcine Hemagglutinating Encephalomyelitis Virus), a coronavirus which infects piglets, and the virus avian bronchitis (Infectious Bronchitis Virus, IBV) which affects poultry.

Hypothetical neuroinvasive potential

Based on the neuroinvasive potential observed in mice with coronaviruses other than SARS-CoV-9, Chinese researchers have put forward the hypothesis, particularly bold, according to which the acute respiratory failure observed in patients could, in part , may be due to damage to the brainstem, the region between the brain proper and the spinal cord below, in which the centers (nuclei) of breathing control sit. And formulate in the Journal of Medical Virology the highly speculative hypothesis that SARS-CoV-2 could go up from the respiratory airways ** to the cardio-respiratory centers located in the brainstem. For this, they refer to Japanese work which has shown, in mice inoculated nasally by the influenza virus, that this virus can be transported via the vagus nerve to the central nervous system.

It is important to note, however, that it is still unclear whether SARS-CoV-2 can enter the central nervous system and infect neurons, particularly those located in the brainstem and involved in respiratory and cardiovascular regulation.

Suffice to say that brain imaging, examination of the brain (vascular endothelium, neurons, glial cells) of deceased Covid-19 patients and analysis of cerebrospinal fluid *** are absolutely necessary to clarify the possible impact of viruses on the brain and brainstem in particular. Work in pathology, molecular biology and immunohistochemistry must therefore be carried out before concluding that SARS-CoV-2 has a direct effect on neurons.

Vascular endothelium

To date, there is no evidence to suggest that viral particles of SARS-CoV-2 can enter the central nervous system via the bloodstream. It can nevertheless be noted that the ACE2 receptor, an enzyme located on the membrane of many cells and which represents the gateway to SARS-CoV-2, was found on the surface of cells lining the interior of the vessels of the brain (endothelium vascular). This therefore raises the possibility that the strokes associated with Covid-19 are directly linked to the virus and that encephalitis is a complication of viral infection.

"Cytokine storm"

Finally, another hypothesis, probably the most attractive of all, is attracting the attention of researchers. It is based on the massive release of inflammatory molecules (cytokines) produced by the immune system in response to viral infection. This “cytokine storm” could weaken the blood-brain barrier which normally isolates the brain from undesirable substances which may be present in the blood circulation. This massive release of cytokines would cause persistent neuroinflammation, which causes brain dysfunction. This could explain the occurrence or progression of the cognitive disorders observed in certain patients, sometimes even when the pneumonia is stopped.

Also discussed is the fact that Covid-19 patients with severe infection often have elevated serum D-dimers (coagulation markers), which (in addition to being a risk factor for pulmonary embolism acute), would expose you to the risk of developing a stroke by migration of a blood clot into an artery in the brain.

Neurological signs and other coronaviruses

Neurological syndromes have already been associated with infection with human coronaviruses. Viral RNA sequences have thus been found in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of patients infected with these viruses. The genetic material for the HCoV-OC43 coronavirus was detected in the CSF of a 13-year-old child with acute demyelinating encephalopathy, an inflammatory disease primarily affecting the white matter of the central nervous system.

Fatal encephalitis can occur in immunocompromised individuals infected with HCoV-OC43. The presence of this coronavirus has been documented in a post-mortem examination of the brain of a 1.5-year-old infant with severe immune deficiency.

A study showed that about 12% (22 out of 183) of Chinese children hospitalized between May 2014 and April 2015 at Children's Hospital of Chenzhou (Hunan province) for acute encephalitis had anti-coronavirus antibodies (anti-CoV IgM) in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid.

In addition, SARS-CoV, responsible for SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), was detected in the blood and CSF of two patients with persistent epilepsy. Similarly, the presence of SARS-CoV-2 in the LCR has been documented by Chinese researchers.

Finally, the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) coronavirus, which uses a different gateway (dipeptidyl peptidase-4, DPP4) than that of SARS-CoV-2 to enter target cells, can cause encephalopathy acute disseminated. Guillain-Barré syndromes have also been described in patients with MERS during treatment.

Know how to evoke the diagnosis

According to several Chinese medical teams, all of the clinical data shows that one must be vigilant in the presence of neurological symptoms during this period of the Covid-19 epidemic. According to them, it is important that caregivers know how to discuss the diagnosis of Covid-19, even in the absence of fever and respiratory symptoms, so as not to delay the diagnosis. It is particularly important that clinicians learn as much as possible about the neurological symptoms of patients before admission to hospital (impairment of consciousness). They also point out that in the presence of patients possibly infected with SARS-CoV-2 and initially presenting with neurological symptoms, protective measures should be taken to limit the risk of exposure of medical personnel and other hospitalized patients.

Marc Gozlan (medical-scientist reporter)
April 7th, 2020

* Involvement of the nerve nets in the nasal cavity and possibly neurons leading to the olfactory bulb is the preferred mechanism to explain the anosmia (loss of smell) observed in some patients infected with SARS-CoV-2. To date, there is nothing to indicate that this anosmia is attributable to a central neurological disorder located beyond the olfactory bulb.

** In this hypothesis, the virus would go back to the central nervous system from the mechanoreceptors and chemoreceptors of the respiratory tract.

*** On March 4, the Xinhua News Agency reported the first case of Covid-19-related encephalitis in a 56-year-old patient who was admitted to Ditan Hospital in Beijing with an impaired consciousness. Treated with antivirals, the patient was discharged from the hospital. It is stated that "the presence of SARS-CoV-2 in the cerebrospinal fluid has been detected by genomic sequencing". This information was reported in the UK on an Encephalitis Society blog. An article has been published on the ChinaXiv pre-publication site: Xiang P, Xu XM, Gao LL, Wang HZ., Xiong HF, Li RH. First Case of 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease with Encephalitis. ChinaXiv 2020. T202003.00015 This publication (cited by Wu Y. et al. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity 2020, March 30) remains to be found.

To know more :

Source: https://www.lemonde.fr/blog/realitesbiomedicales/2020/04/07/covid-19-les-symptomes-peuvent-etre-neurologiques/

Edited by Guest
Shift+Enter and Ctrl+Enter don't do the same thing :-P Posted to early (TY Ctrl+Enter :-S )

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52201048?at_custom2=twitter&at_custom4=BF9BCDC8-78C7-11EA-8A08-21E04744363C&at_custom3=%40BBCNews&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=[post+type]

Not a lot of info but seems like hes stable and not needing a ventilator.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/china-lifts-wuhan-coronavirus-shutdown

So they have some sort of phone app that tells you how much of a threat you are? Hadn't heard about that. Would it be like a fitness tracker where it monitors your temp and vitals somehow?

9 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

@Cora_Lie The "hidden contents" field in the quote is empty unfortunately.

Yes, I was fixing it (took a long time :-S Article was long....)

I hit Ctrl+Enter by mistake which in fact "submits"/publishes the "comment".

It happens to me quite often, but most of the time I can correct it quickly enough. Except when I have a looooooooooog article 😛

48 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

You are trying to put your personal interpretation of what i said and why i said it as fact. When you are wrong on every account.

Spoiler

Has nothing to do with Trump nor is it at all an insult to any person of Wuhan or of asian race. It was being called all those terms before it even became a pandemic in the states. And in this very thread i have stated nobody should be putting ill will towards those people. I called them idiots.

Again if you find issue with the nickname (which is all it is. Just like corona virus or human malware etc. Or what people call marijuana "pot") thats because you associate it with something due to whatever reasons you have. But its asinine to try an say you can factually know why i randomly used that nickname over one of the many others. Tbh i use so.many different terms for it if he wouldnt of quoted me i wouldnt of even realized i used that particular nickname.

If/when something like this comes out of my area i wont be offended if my areas name is attatched to it in a nickname. Why would i? 

But this convo has nothing to do with the things being discussed at hand.

No I don't. I've explained it quite clearly.

If you insist on misinterpreting what I wrote, that's on you. You're welcome to look for more informations either in the other thread, or on the internet.

I won't spend more time on the subject.