LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Just now, Kilrah said:

Just had a look, it's all baked in FahClient.exe

Ahh of cause it is! sigh

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, WaldorfMan said:

I need to go change my underwear now.

You uh.. okay there chief? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Inkertus said:

Daaang.  Got myself an absolute unit of a WU here with a 11+ hr time frame 9% into it. 6/16 of my 3700x and most jobs have taken ~4 or less.

HAHA... remember when I said that I didn't think it should be a CPU unit? I just got that WU on one of the VMs I set up with only 2 cores... ETA 15 days

Edit: First on page 400!

F@H    EOC

26 minutes ago, Macaw2000 said:

Thanks... follow-on question: is there a meaningful point advantage to turning it on?

Well the point is that sometimes when you can't get WUs on normal you'll get some in advanced.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Damn I was close. 3rd.

Seems that WU's get assigned more often now! Woohoo!

4 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

HAHA... remember when I said that I didn't think it should be a CPU unit? I just got that WU on one of the VMs I set up with only 2 cores... ETA 15 days

Edit: First on page 400!

Fun times!!!

Also WOO!!!!!!!!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Isnt there some sort of anime about the desperate search for elusive magic wu?  Protagonist wears a knit cap with ears on it or something?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, CheeseDrink said:

Damn I was close. 3rd.

So close!

Maybe next time we hit 400 pages on the section

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This thread has added like 15% to the Folding@home, Boinc, and Coin Mining section of the forum so far. 

Damn...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, LFreeman said:

Is that a bad thing?

Not at all!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, CheeseDrink said:

Damn I was close. 3rd.

If you dont get assigned a WU try to delete the slot affected in the advanced settings. save ... wait until the slot disappears in the "work quene" section, then add the slot again.

it should only take up to 2 minutes to get assigned a new one then... at least this is my experience!

32 minutes ago, Thaltrad said:

Seems to be hard coded into the FAHClient.exe

9f687d34ce93bfed2e207b08f97a9814.png.78d19d597ceeb5175e132d229edf98da.png

What about just deleting that image file?, or replacing it with another colour? 

Just now, Lightdrake77 said:

If you dont get assigned a WU try to delete the slot affectet in the advanced settings. save ... wait until the slot disappears in the "work quene" section, then add the slot again.

it should only take up to 2 minutes to get assigned a new one then... at least this is my experience!

I find that pausing and un-pausing the slot resets the 'next attempt timer' to something more reasonable. I usually do it when the timer goes above 5 minutes

F@H    EOC

4 minutes ago, Struck said:

What about just deleting that image file?, or replacing it with another colour? 

I guess you could try replacing it with

background: #333;

won't be able to replace the image because it's probably hard baked into it. but can pretty much replace it with any hex color you desire

F@H

2 hours ago, Shigeru said:

Uhmmm... maybe should work with correct drivers, for example the 7560 of my A8-5600K should work, but because its a HD 7560D since the A8 is a APU it just get errors if try to process a WU.

16.something are the most recent, forced it to run and log says short response, expected 512 but gets zero? It just won't run. Not a loss, CPU does 1500PPD only too lol.

Wooot!! Passed 50k points today!

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Dutch_Master

Got a huge 48hr CPU WU 2 days ago and it finished about 5hrs ago (netting me some 13k points), now chewing on another 10hr one (and about halfway) The current one is Project 13850, but can't recall the big one and I don't have an Advanced client (only the basic one). Mind, this is on an ancient AMD A8-3870 APU 😲 (headless, Devuan Linux, 32GB RAM, no graphics drivers installed)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

16.something are the most recent, forced it to run and log says short response, expected 512 but gets zero? It just won't run. Not a loss, CPU does 1500PPD only too lol.

The "512 bits expeced gets zero" is just the server failing, I get that one from time to time in my CPUs.

3 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

I find that pausing and un-pausing the slot resets the 'next attempt timer' to something more reasonable. I usually do it when the timer goes above 5 minutes

I find that's the soft reset option and may not net you a different server.  The other method is a hard reset option that starts you from square one where you have to go poke the initial contact server to get a work server and eventually a WU.  If the soft reset works for you then good.  I find it often doesn't for me.  The latter is personally far more reliable.