LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

@Spotty can you add to your message to read through the OP in full as I feel this will help answer many peoples questions, also the FAQ should be added sometime in the next day or so as soon as @Metallus97 has got it sent over to me.  

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, crescent1033 said:

Aaaand I'm out of WU's again, RIP

Me to! Do some Rosetta via BOINC in the mean time to not waste any time :) 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

2 hours ago, NikPev said:

Thanks for the reply Beaver,  I dropped the threads to 16 from 23 to test if the cpu was getting in the way but no change.  I had a play with the power targets of the GPU (its currently not overclocked) and no change

It shouldn't be a power target issue, but a power state one.

Try running a normal bench mark and look in GPU info at the power state and the gpu core and ram clocks. Then run the folding app and see what those clocks are. I had an older folding rig with some 1070s that had this problem and I think I had to manually change the power state (nvidia inspector I think) for my folding app.

Didn't know about the competition till now, this is just an added bonus.

As of this moment I think that 3 of the WU servers are down, so I'm tending to have to wait about 10 mins plus to have WU assigned for the GPU and CPU is currently at 30 mins plus of wait time for a WU to be sent down. Not sure if I can manually assign a WU server for the CPU or if its based on the computational power.

Either way guys I should mention that I work in Drug Discover and Development sector and can confirm that is insanely helpful. For lack of a better annalogy the initial discovery and searching for a drug or therapeutic that works against a disease or virus can normally consist of about 18 months or so of scientists (including myself) trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. (Normally 700,000 times in a row) and only come out with about 10 candidates that are worth testing in the best scenarios.

Folding@home amoungst other techniques at least gives us the chance to make an educated guess and try to narrow the timeframe down for therpeutics development significantly (despite the fact that it can take >10 years to bring standard therpeutics to market) I'm holding hope that in desperate times call for desperate measures and we'll be able to use the data from the SARS-CoVid-2 work units a lot sooner than expected.

Anyways guys good luck with the folding and from me and the rest of the science community a big thanks to all your help, on co-vid and the rest of the various projects distributed by Folding@Home.

Any science or biomed related questions and I'll do my very best to answer :)

Capture.PNG

Huge thank you to all the new folders! I think it's so awesome that so many people are trying to help with this. Hats off to the sysadmin team running the servers. They need a few beers after this is all over. 🙂

Well its stuck on downloading for GPU's. 
Any ideas how to config dual WAN pfSense for this thing to work normal? atleast i think its an issue why not starting.
M1:
2950x
2x Radeon VII
M2:
1950x
Vega FF LC

Hi everyone i am new to the whole folding thing. I can get my cpu to work which is 3900X but my rx590 wont do anything. i seems like it tries to connect to the server but keeps failing. Any tips?

Had a WU just now but it was faulty, 11759 was the number of it.
Just waiting to see what I get next.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Been a long time lurker on these forums but just got 2 of my PCs set up to fold.

I'm having trouble getting the client managment working though... Can anyone point me in the way of some advice?

I've gone through the settings on both PCs to try and get it set up correctly but it just says "connecting"...

Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.

John F. Kennedy

3 minutes ago, Saul Ramirez said:

Hi everyone i am new to the whole folding thing. I can get my cpu to work which is 3900X but my rx590 wont do anything. i seems like it tries to connect to the server but keeps failing. Any tips?

Just wait ;)

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

ATM the servers are really busy and they actually ran out of WU's yesterday.

Just keep the client open, eventually you'll get something, that's what I'm having to do now.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

3 minutes ago, Jemlin said:

Been a long time lurker on these forums but just got 2 of my PCs set up to fold.

I'm having trouble getting the client managment working though... Can anyone point me in the way of some advice?

I've gone through the settings on both PCs to try and get it set up correctly but it just says "connecting"...

So the advanced client cant connect? Is the web control working for you and is the FAHClient process running?

oh and windows I assume?

Guys I'm going to be AFK for the next few hours, in the meantime as always support each other and be patient with the F@H servers, they will get around to assigning you a WU as soon as one is available.

If we keep hitting them by artificially forcing updates it's only going to add to the problem. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

So the advanced client cant connect? Is the web control working for you and is the FAHClient process running?

oh and windows I assume?

Yeah, the advanced client can't connect to the second PC.

Web control is working (wasn't working when I installed it to a secondary drive) but is now its on C.

FAHClient is running and I'm folding on both currently.

And yes, both are on windows.

John F. Kennedy

Looks like it's working:

Screenshot_(9).thumb.png.f2514ac5c97d4914e6899c848bed685f.png

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, Jemlin said:

Yeah, the advanced client can't connect to the second PC.

Web control is working (wasn't working when I installed it to a secondary drive) but is now its on C.

FAHClient is running and I'm folding on both currently.

And yes, both are on windows.

Ahhh I see! Try to set your firewall to allow F@H and specifically the port.

3 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

Looks like it's working:

-snip-

Ja schein gut zu laufen, aber die GPU macht nichts... das ist momentan aber normal, da eine Knappheit an WUs herrscht.

OK no German here, so again :D:

Seems to work good, but the GPU is not doing anything. Atm this is expected because we have a shortage of WUs.

Just wait and you will get more WUs for the GPU.

AND set dad baby on full power. Atm youre only folding with half your CPU!

So we just sign up and wait for the 27th and start folding?

Do we need to do anything extra to specifically get the Co-vid WU?

Rig Specs:

CPU Intel Core i9-9900k

Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

RAM Trident Z 3200MHz 4x8GBs / Silver

GPU  Galax RTX 2080 Ti SG Edition

Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black

Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & Seagate Barracude 2TB 3.5" HDD

PSU Corsair HX750

Cooling Custom Bykski/Bitspower loop

Display Prism + X315 Pro

10 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Ahhh I see! Try to set your firewall to allow F@H and specifically the port.

Nice idea - I added it to both firewalls and nothing is coming through.

I can ping the computer just fine using CMD. Any way I can ping the specific port as well just to double check that both are open?

John F. Kennedy

1 minute ago, Jemlin said:

Nice idea - I added it to both firewalls and nothing is coming through.

I can ping the computer just fine using CMD. Any way I can ping the specific port as well just to double check that both are open?

If you disable the firewall on both systems does it work? Only do this for testing purposes don't run like that all the time!

Wait I'm meant to have left already.... Whoops

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Halofication said:

So we just sign up and wait for the 27th and start folding?

Do we need to do anything extra to specifically get the Co-vid WU?

No, no need to do anything aside from making sure your client is set for "Anything" instead of a particular work project.

As whether you get a WU based on Corona, it's random chance.

Also, it's better to use the GPU instead of the CPU but you can do both if you want.

Just noted the servers are REALLY bogged down, my download is going by a fractional percentage here - Don't know what it is but it's downloading it.

Annnnnd it failed......

10 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Ja schein gut zu laufen, aber die GPU macht nichts... das ist momentan aber normal, da eine Knappheit an WUs herrscht.

OK no German here, so again :D:

Seems to work good, but the GPU is not doing anything. Atm this is expected because we have a shortage of WUs.

Just wait and you will get more WUs for the GPU.

AND set dad baby on full power. Atm youre only folding with half your CPU!

Ich bin ja Schweizer und Hochdeutsch ist zusammen mit Schweizerdeutsch meine Muttersprache, ich verstehe dich bestens 😄👍

Ehm, ok set CPU to full, hope that I will still be able to do other stuff.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.