LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, fangfufu said:

Of course. I have been running FAH in the last 10 years. I never expect to get anything back, other than the satisfaction that I get more out of my hardware investment. In the last few years, I had been with Team Curecoin. Because you get some Curecoins for folding - it is a cryptocurrency. I have literally joined LinusTechTip forum and team for the competition / event. I just hope my points are enough for joining the competition, but if not, I don't really mind. 

The mentioned points and activity are ONLY for being eligible for winning a steam key and maybe other prices. You can participate for the team against COVID-19 with any PC power you can spare and its appreciated.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

1 minute ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

The mentioned points and activity are ONLY for being eligible for winning a steam key and maybe other prices. You can participate for the team against COVID-19 with any PC power you can spare and its appreciated.

I want to win prizes though! I am going to fold regardless prizes. I think I might borrow GPU from friends just for this competition. 

5 minutes ago, Ridley303 said:

My CPU is doing great (17k-20k points per day) but my GPU is only idling and whenever it does start it resets after a few minuntes (GTX 770).

Are there just not many WUs for GPUs around at the moment?

Yep. But reset after a few minutes seems odd... Can you please post the log?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Personally I'm offended, as the previous meme overlord I object to my title being taken. @Kenpachi1985 meme to the death at dawn.

Then you should have replied with this i think ;D

giphy.gif

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

1 hour ago, Jaom said:

Perhaps the community is closed enough that you don't see anymore how bad the process is (or perhaps I was unlucky?). Anyhow, I'm writing this post to give you a fresh set of eyes.

Thanks for this.

There are some issues you brought up that we're already aware of, such as having far too many pinned threads in this section and multiple guides. It's a work in progress. Looks like @leadeater has already cleaned up some of the guides to remove some old information.

Not receiving the passkey is an issue on Folding@Home's end. They've received a lot of passkey requests in the past few days with new people joining and they're just not getting sent out. Nothing we can control.

Part of the reason why the event doesn't start immediately is because we (LTT's folding team) often have events where we give out prizes and badges (see the little icons under my name on the left) for participating. Get people to sign up in advance and we track progress and statistics like how many points each person is making each day and stuff like that. The friendly competition between members on the forum helps drive people to participate more.

@GOTSpectrum Can we move the start date for the event up a week? 20th? Even earlier if possible. Should still give plenty of time for people to join. If you leave it too late people might lose interest or sign up and forget about it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

30 minutes ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

Then you should have replied with this i think ;D

I could of but...

tenor.png

(ahh the grammar it hurts!, will fix that tomorrow. Curse you Google images!)

Also it's not dawn yet 😉

Spoiler

biding-my-time-soon-you-will-be-mine

31 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Yep. But reset after a few minutes seems odd... Can you please post the log?

I reinstalled it and since it hasn't even attempted using the GPU, so there are no logs anymore.

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Not receiving the passkey is an issue on Folding@Home's end. They've received a lot of passkey requests in the past few days with new people joining and they're just not getting sent out. Nothing we can control.

Although you can write about it (if you don't see an email - don't worry it tends to happen when there are spikes of new registration. The key should arrive within 24 hours.You can put the passkey later.).

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Part of the reason why the event doesn't start immediately is because we (LTT's folding team) often have events where we give out prizes and badges (see the little icons under my name on the left) for participating. Get people to sign up in advance and we track progress and statistics like how many points each person is making each day and stuff like that. The friendly competition between members on the forum helps drive people to participate more.

Yet you already have 750 entries. It would seem that it could be better to make make a shorter start (1 week? even 3 days if feasible for first batch) and shorter run (1 week?) and in 2 weeks you'd be in the same place. Then you make a longer run and you had whole "first season" ti sign up those who are late for the party. You don't any rewards for those who came here to help right now. Give a world-saver badge for contribution of minimum... 1 (any activity at all) to everyone who participated in any of those events. upgrade the badge to lvl 2 for the next event of world significance (not more frequent than once a year, minimum 6 months between two events maximum 18 months) if they participate. If not, remove the badge at the end of the second event. Newcomers start with lvl 1. Make a mailing list for outsiders - I don't want to check this forum but I can  "donate" some electricity once a year for a week but you have to come to me (email). I'm lazy. And I'll be very happy about my lvl 20 in 20 years.

You will not convert the outsiders to regular folders (at least not majority of them). But there is plenty of people who like to think good about themselves even though (or "because"!) they're really dickheads - just like me. I think it would make sense to have a completely separate offer for them. A rare one indeed, no sweat.

2 minutes ago, Jaom said:

Give a world-saver badge for contribution of minimum... 1 (any activity at all) to everyone. upgrade the badge to lvl 2 for the next event of world significance (not more frequent than once a year, minimum 6 months between two events maximum 18 months) if they participate. If not, remove the badge at the end of the second event. Newcomers start with lvl 1. Make a mailing list for outsiders - I don't want to check this forum but I can  "donate" some electricity once a year for a week but you have to come to me (email). I'm lazy. And I'll be very happy about my lvl 20 in 20 years.

Badges are a bit of a pain for us, someone has to make the graphic itself and then the assignment of badges to people is manually done by us moderators so having to give out or update high hundreds of badges is a lot of work.

Sooner start date would have been nice, I think it was set longer out to make sure everything is ready to run the event. Saying that though, if it had been run this week it would have been quite the problem with all the F@H server issues.

LTT forum and LTT/LMG are quite very separate things too, communication between the two other than the site admins (for the purposes of operating the site) is very minimal. Ideally things would be jointly organised with pre-event planning with a communication plan, but that's rather pipe dream to be honest.

53 minutes ago, Spotty said:

-snip

I will talk with @leadeater and as long as he is okay with being able to handle the testing moving the date towards the end of next week could be achievable.

As far as guides go we are working on a slimmed down modern guide. But these things take time, it is progressing though!

24 minutes ago, Jaom said:

-snip

Unfortunately these events usually have 4 weeks of planning involved, it was released now to get the word spread but most of the team that handle folding events are not about so I am mostly doing it single handedly, I am working as hard as I can to get everything sorted, with leadeater on board it may be we can shift the event to next week. Folding months have 6-8 weeks of planning and this is looking like it will rival a folding month event in size. So please bare with me as I get things rolling as fast as I can.

We do have a mailing list but have stopped advertising it as messaging people on the forum has become more difficult of late. I have been planning to reach out to Mortis to see if there is a way he can push a DM to a large number of people in one go. 

As far as converting people to more regular folders just have a look at this chart, we are a team that is growing!

Green is pre-folding month, blue is the time between the first and second folding month and red is production since the most recent folding month. 

1864976499_Foldinggraph.png.83c91630f2969bebc62bf396485d4f55.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, _t_r_w said:

Hi, haven't run this on a computer since around 2002, when things where a little different hardware wise...

Would anyone be able to answer a couple of questions?

1) when i run fah it seems to choose either gpu or cpu, never both at the same time... - is this wu related? i.e. are some workloads simply not worth running on the CPU and vices versa?

2) how can I manually swith between GPU and CPU usage? (yesterday I was doing other CPU heavy work so GPU made sense to fold on, today I'm doing stuff in unreal so CPU will be better for me to fold on during work hours.

3) if the GPU / CPU choice is down to workload then what is the covid-19  workload cpu / gpu or agnostic?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated,

I have a 3970x and a 2070 super. Currently the 2070 is folding while the CPU sits idle... although yesterday it was the other way around.

I guess it'll pick something up at some point

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

LTT forum and LTT/LMG are quite very separate things too, communication between the two other than the site admins (for the purposes of operating the site) is very minimal. Ideally things would be jointly organised with pre-event planning with a communication plan, but that's rather pipe dream to be honest.

For folding month we are usually in communication with jake for a good month or longer before the event. And even then its not the best. We limit our LMG interactions to folding month only due to the fact that they would get sick of it fast and it doubles the workload on our end generally speaking. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

First time folder here.  Saw that there are expected delays for passkeys... :(  Still haven't received mine, going on 10 hours since I submitted the request... :(

Hey guys,

I'm new here and new to the folding@home (got here from the last WAN show). I hope we can knock the virus down and generate enough ressources to support the scientists with all they need. LET'S GO!! :D

1 minute ago, TrueBoldi said:

Hey guys,

I'm new here and new to the folding@home (got here from the last WAN show). I hope we can knock the virus down and generate enough ressources to support the scientists with all they need. LET'S GO!! :D

We will just Fold you into our ranks.

welcome to the team

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, kvothearcnst said:

First time folder here.  Saw that there are expected delays for passkeys... :( Still haven't received mine, going on 10 hours since I submitted the request... :(

It's alright, the event is in 12 days from now, you'll probably get it before then. :)

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

Please be aware that this event has been rushed through, we usually have weeks of planning and testing involved with an event of this size so bare with me as I try to rally the troops and get some hands on deck to help me out.  @Metallus97 Has written an FAQ so please check it out if you are having any problems! 

I will be updating you all on a possibly revised start-date and such in the next 24 hours so please follow the thread to keep up to date.

If all goes as planned this could be quite interesting and smooth the whole janky process out that we have been using for the last couple years.

I am planning to alter the OP sometime in the next 12 hours so keep an eye out for that as well. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, just signed up. I saw this in a Youtubevid from Linus. Got the foldingapp yesterday. How do I join this?

New to this Forum as well, signed up to Rock some WUs.

3950x, 2080ti, 3700x, 3200g ready to fold 🙂

4 minutes ago, BadBMI said:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, just signed up. I saw this in a Youtubevid from Linus. Got the foldingapp yesterday. How do I join this?

Fill in the google form on the first post of this thread

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

13 minutes ago, rkv_2401 said:

It's alright, the event is in 12 days from now, you'll probably get it before then. :)

Crossing my fingers! :)

Joined just this now, but have been folding for Team LTT since last event almost every day 24/7, beside the last 14 days because of some issues. 

As of yesterday, I have been running this 24/7:

VM 1: 14 cores on two Xeons E5645

VM 2: 4 cores on a I7-3770

VM 3: 6 cores on two Xeons E5-2667 v2

PC 1: A GTX 960

PC 2: 2 x GTX 650Ti

And in the day time, my gaming PC is running fuld power:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670

GPU 1: GTX 970

GPU 2: RTX 2070

Lets help fight Covid-19 and other diseases :D

First time folder and just started the app this morning. Here's hoping this helps!

Just signed up and started folding

Going to setup on my daily rig in a bit

89851654_209001877176213_4037221579808047104_o.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8ghz | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI | Graphics Card: AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe | 2 x Seagate 1TB [raid1] - overflow stuff | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb [raid0] - games | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Corsair 400C | Cooling: Kraken x62 AIO | 3 x Corsair AF140 | 1x Noctua  NF-F12 | SoundSoundblaster Zx through  KRK Rokit G5 monitors 

To be updated... when I get time