LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

...GPU units seem to have a 24 hour timeout so if it actually takes that long, its going to be completely wasted. :(

While it is true that GPU units usually have 24 hour timeout, the other part is pure misinformation. You should read more about "Timeout" and "Expiration" HERE:

Spoiler

Are there any limits to how long my machine can take to finish a work unit (WU)?

Yes. Work Units are serial in nature. When a completed WU is sent back, a new work unit is generated from those results. This must happen many times over within each project (group of work units). A generation 1 work unit must be turned in before a generation 2 work unit is created and sent out.

To keep these generations moving along, we have to set expiration deadlines in the event a work unit is not uploaded in a timely manner (lost, deleted, whatever). These unfinished work units “expire” and are reassigned to new machines. You will still receive credit for all WUs completed and uploaded prior to the Timeout (formerly preferred deadline). However, after the Timeout, your contribution is not as useful scientifically because another copy of that work unit had to be sent out to another contributor. Even if you eventually complete the work unit, that other contributor still had to process duplicate work to assure the science moves forward. And it would be unfair not to also credit that second contributor.

Even so, full credit is given up until the Deadline (formerly Final Deadline). After the Deadline has expired, the client will automatically discard the work unit and download new work. If you have trouble completing work units before the Timeout (formerly Preferred Deadline), it is recommended to either run the FAH client more hours each day, or to run the client on a faster computer.

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Grr, I clicked "Fold" on the general button instead of only the slot, and during the 5 seconds until I paused again it assigned a WU to my CPU, right when I'm going to shut the computer down. Annoying.

Will see how long it takes tomorrow to see if I do it anyway or if I dump it. Not folding on CPU anymore these days because of needing to do other CPU intensive work. 

If you do not plan on Folding on CPU anymore, it's better to delete that slot. You can always add it back.

That being said, DO NOT DUMP WUs. Either finish them or delete that slot if you do not plan on folding with it in near future (to avoid accidentally downloading WUs).

Dumping WUs should only be done in EXTREME cases.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

6 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

DAAAAMN why so much P100s? That’s ExPeNsIvE :D

before the LTT team announcement I was already participating in a different COVID challenge for the month. I'm trying my best to win that one, seems like a long shot currently though

24 more keys added by @ShirleyNeko

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

before the LTT team announcement I was already participating in a different COVID challenge for the month. I'm trying my best to win that one, seems like a long shot currently though

oh I see. how much PPD do you get on this card? Using win10?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

4 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

oh I see. how much PPD do you get on this card? Using win10?

I'm using Linux and it's around 1.8-2m PPD. I actually used your guide for Debian to set it up lol

1 minute ago, madprofessor207 said:

Reinforcements have arrived.

—snip—

ok i need this!

well guess gonna sell my life to afford it lol

6 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

I'm using Linux and it's around 1.8-2m PPD. I actually used your guide for Debian to set it up lol

Nice! Glad to hear that. Just used my own guide to set it up on Manjaro and finally got my AMD GPUs to work. That was a PITA on Debian and cost me like days. Nvidia is much simpler due to not partly broken installers... 

will write a quick guide tomorrow, since this linux VS Radeon folding thing comes up every month or so here and in other forums 

FAHControl is only using 40% of my GTX 1070. I don't bottleneck in games with my i7-4770k. 
Any idea how to get my GPU to run at 100%?

3 minutes ago, Zombified said:

FAHControl is only using 40% of my GTX 1070. I don't bottleneck in games with my i7-4770k. 
Any idea how to get my GPU to run at 100%?

please post you log!

how much threads are you using on the 4770k?

where are you monitoring GPU usage?

Yes bois, they read my superchat!!!!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

please post you log!

how much threads are you using on the 4770k?

where are you monitoring GPU usage?

You asked where am I monitoring GPU... well it was Windows Task Manager and your question made me think I should try something else.
I fired up HWMonitor to see that it's actually at 100%. 
Thanks!
Now in FAHControl under "Folding Slots" it has my CPU but it says cpu:7 which I'm assuming is threads... but for some reason isn't 8. 
According to the log it knows it's an 8 core. Not sure if this is usual or not. 
01:21:59:WU01:FS01:0x22:        CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
01:21:59:WU01:FS01:0x22:     CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
01:21:59:WU01:FS01:0x22:       CPUs: 8

We've gain 50 sign ups since the WAN Show started!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just signed up to the forum.  Awaiting Passkey! :D

Also, it asks "I support research fighting ______" but COVID-19 isnt up there. Whats up with that?

Just now, L27buick said:

just joined also,pass key came quick and my computer already hates me.

WOO!!!!!!!

Welcome to the team!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, L27buick said:

just joined also,pass key came quick and my computer already hates me.

where do you get your passkey?

Just now, ChaseAg9 said:

-.- Please take a moment to read the OP in full, lotta useful info there 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, ChaseAg9 said:

Also, it asks "I support research fighting ______" but COVID-19 isnt up there. Whats up with that?

You cant choose the Coronavirus, you need to keep the selection set to ''Any disease'' and the Covid19 WU's will be prioritized over any other WU

After borrowing a Quadro 5000, I am happy to say that I am now qualified for the prize. 

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=864039

I think I am going to fold for Team LTT until this whole thing blows over, then I am going back to curecoin. I have a grand total of $2.50 worth of curecoins, btw. I have been folding in the last 15 years. I have to say Quadro 5000 is amazing. 

3 minutes ago, ChaseAg9 said:

3 minutes ago, fangfufu said:

After borrowing a Quadro 5000, I am happy to say that I am now qualified for the prize. 

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=864039

I think I am going to fold for Team LTT until this whole thing blows over, then I am going back to curecoin. I have a grand total of $2.50 worth of curecoins, btw. I have been folding in the last 15 years. I have to say Quadro 5000 is amazing. 

You will only qualify if you fold that many points DURING the event

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240