What do you drive?

BecauseICanTBH
50 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Never really understood the point of shitting on other people's rides. Here in the US, even something ratty means you were able to get a car into your life and that you put work towards it. I respect anyone who was able to hustle their way into their car.

Yeah, more I read this thread it becomes obvious that OP made the thread to parade their new car and shit on people that don't want to spend 40k on a new car.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I have a Hyundai accent 2016 GL ... brown ...

I wanted a brand new car and that's the best I could afford.  Will probably keep it until it dies. 20180416_060713.thumb.jpg.2856314b51984027daef6fe022e945a3.jpg

Now seeing it in winter mode in all it's glory ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

5 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I have a Hyundai accent 2016 GL ... brown ...

I wanted a brand new car and that's the best I could afford.  Will probably keep it until it dies. 20180416_060713.thumb.jpg.2856314b51984027daef6fe022e945a3.jpg

Now seeing it in winter mode in all it's glory ...

If it’s a Manual, then you’re 3/4 of the way to being a Jalopnik special.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

But if it's your only/primary car, I don't see why anyone would prioritize "fun to drive" over "comfortable and pleasant to drive". I mean, how discontent can one be?

Fun to drive does not mean uncomfortable.  And it doesn't mean anyone is discontent.  The Focus RS does everything a daily driver should, but can also move at mind-bending speeds.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

11 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

@B16CXHatch I honestly never understood why anyone would buy a shitty older car, and then spend 5x what they spent on the car to modify it. 

Why wouldn't you just buy a nicer car, not modify it, and have a more pleasant driving experience?

Maybe I'm missing something, but a lot of the posts in this thread are quite confusing to me. What's the mental process that brings about such an order of priorities?

Because older cars are serviceable at home without specialized computer diagnostic programs available to a select few. 

people who buy old cars aren’t buying a mode of transportation... they’re investing in a hobby. They’ll spend hours upon hours tinkering to get things just the way they want. 

8 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I never understood why people would ever buy cars period. No matter how worthless your car is, and how little you drive it, you’re gonna generously donate a significant part of your income to an insurance company every month. And insurance is only getting more expensive over time, as there are fewer companies every year and a monopoly is just around the corner. A lot of people are just better off taking public transportation and renting a vehicle when necessary. But I understand that it’s not an option for many people. 

Thankfully, I’ll always have a company car due to my line of work. I’m never ever gonna pay for insurance or gas. That’s like flushing money down the toilet. 

I live in a rural area in southern Minnesota. The closest wall mart is a 45 minute drive one way. Public transit runs to my town three times per week, once per day. 

I used to live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, and even there, public transit wouldn’t go between some arbitrary geopolitical boundaries. Trains were an option, but there are very few routes and they don’t run all day / all night. 

I worked for the railroad. There was literally no way I could have kept my job, even in a major metropolitan area, without a car. 

8 minutes ago, SetOutMode said:

I live in a rural area in southern Minnesota. The closest wall mart is a 45 minute drive one way. Public transit runs to my town three times per week, once per day. 

I used to live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, and even there, public transit wouldn’t go between some arbitrary geopolitical boundaries. Trains were an option, but there are very few routes and they don’t run all day / all night. 

I worked for the railroad. There was literally no way I could have kept my job, even in a major metropolitan area, without a car. 

I see. I worked in rural areas for 2 years as a Land Surveyor Assistant. Land Surveyors in the US and Canada are basically guaranteed a newish F350 (or the Dodge/Chevy equivalent) because they need that for work. I'm now in France and my work set me up with a Peugeot 208 LMAO.

One of these two.

My daily is a 2015 Honda CB500F. Bough it right as the newer and updated body style was being sold and they wanted it cleared out of their back storage area, so got a good deal. Fast enough, quite fun, gets 57mpg in mixed driving and 70mpg on the highway on regular grade fuel. It's under 600cc so insurance is pretty inexpensive.

-6 speed manual

-471cc

-47hp

-24k miles

-The top case is big enough for my daily work items and a camera if I want to toss it in

Motorcycle.thumb.jpg.a917107135ef01b85975343cb6a2b086.jpg

Or 

My 2005 Scion (Toyota) hatchback that I bought new, and probably will drive the wheels off of since it's not worth anything. Gets 40mpg and requires almost nothing outside of routine maintenance, which I do on both my vehicles myself. This has basically been relegated to an inclement-weather vehicle, and if I want to go somewhere that I need more cargo space.

-5-speed manual

-1500-ish cc

-108hp

-130k miles

-The roof rack and light bar add style points and distract slightly from the hail damage

Car.thumb.jpg.e1791d15eac7ee8b90735bb62a69e2ff.jpg

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

A bicycle.

I've had a 24" wheeled one for a very long time, I (literally) outgrew it years ago, but kept using it until last year and decided to retire it after almost a decade of it being in service. What an amazing bike.

Spoiler

IMG_20190807_192625.thumb.jpg.82892b4184e4d4526baf3e3eeb893b60.jpg

I'm currently saving up for a 29" wheeled one, which I hope can take as much beating as that thing did xD

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

5 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah, more I read this thread it becomes obvious that OP made the thread to parade their new car and shit on people that don't want to spend 40k on a new car.

6 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Never really understood the point of shitting on other people's rides. Here in the US, even something ratty means you were able to get a car into your life and that you put work towards it. I respect anyone who was able to hustle their way into their car.

Nope, I made this thread expecting most people would have better cars than me. My car is a soccer mom car. I think it's really nice and I love it, but it's not like it's a luxury car or anything.

I have no interest in shitting on peoples' cars and I can absolutely respect a car of any price. My first car was quite cheap, and I was damn proud of it, and thrilled just to have a car.

So no I'm not shitting on anyone's car here, I'm shitting on their poor decisions. I expected a smarter crowd of people, especially here on the LTT forums which is generally full of intelligent folks. There's definitely some of that here in this thread, some well thought out rides. Not much of it though. I was surprised and disappointed to see how much of this community is just your run-of-the-mill "ricer kids". The crazy thing is, most of them are probably not even younger than me.

If your budget for a car is 3-5k, that's cool. Mine was too at one point. But if you spend that 3-5k trying to get yourself a race car, yep, I think you're a dumbass and so do 99% of the people who see you on the road. On top of that, zero roads in the US or Canada allow you to legally drive at speeds that are "fun" pretty much anywhere. If that's your budget for a car, I can't imagine what your budget for speeding tickets is. 

@B16CXHatch explained himself and it seems this wasn't the case for him, and if I understand correctly, he's keeping it for sentimental value and mods it for fun 13 year after he bought it. 

If I saw a 1996 Civic CX hatchback in its original state, I'd say it was a damn good choice for a car. I called his car shitty because I wrongly assumed ^^^^

22 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Nope, I made this thread expecting most people would have better cars than me. My car is a soccer mom car. I think it's really nice and I love it, but it's not like it's a luxury car or anything.

I have no interest in shitting on peoples' cars and I can absolutely respect a car of any price. My first car was quite cheap, and I was damn proud of it, and thrilled just to have a car.

So no I'm not shitting on anyone's car here, I'm shitting on their poor decisions. I expected a smarter crowd of people, especially here on the LTT forums which is generally full of intelligent folks. There's definitely some of that here in this thread, some well thought out rides. Not much of it though. I was surprised and disappointed to see how much of this community is just your run-of-the-mill "ricer kids". The crazy thing is, most of them are probably not even younger than me.

If your budget for a car is 3-5k, that's cool. Mine was too at one point. But if you spend that 3-5k trying to get yourself a race car, yep, I think you're a dumbass and so do 99% of the people who see you on the road. On top of that, zero roads in the US or Canada allow you to legally drive at speeds that are "fun" pretty much anywhere. If that's your budget for a car, I can't imagine what your budget for speeding tickets is. 

@B16CXHatch explained himself and it seems this wasn't the case for him, and if I understand correctly, he's keeping it for sentimental value and mods it for fun 13 year after he bought it. 

If I saw a 1996 Civic CX hatchback in its original state, I'd say it was a damn good choice for a car. I called his car shitty because I wrongly assumed ^^^^

Sorry for making all the wrong decisions in life that led me to driving a 2004 Saturn wagon as my first car instead of something like a Charger Scat Pack. I know I’m a fucking failure at life, I don’t need this forum to remind me of that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Sorry for making all the wrong decisions in life that led me to driving a 2004 Saturn wagon as my first car instead of something like a Charger Scat Pack. I know I’m a fucking failure at life, I don’t need this forum to remind me of that.

I see you didn't read or retain a word of my post, so yours doesn't make much sense. But apology accepted. ?‍♂️?

28 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

I have no interest in shitting on peoples' cars

29 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

I was surprised and disappointed to see how much of this community is just your run-of-the-mill "ricer kids".

lol what

What's wrong with a little rice? A few stickers and a fake spoiler never hurt anyone. Just adds more horsepower.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

I see you didn't read or retain a word of my post, so yours doesn't make much sense. But apology accepted. ?‍♂️?

You say people make poor life choices by buying a good car that they love for a good price, yet you drop thirty fucking grand on a Rav4.

Jeez, talk about bad choices.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2019 VW Jetta S...surprisingly torquey for a 1.4l turbo. If I want to go stupid fast, I ride my '17 Indian Scout 60 ?

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

You say people make poor life choices by buying a good car that they love for a good price, yet you drop thirty fucking grand on a Rav4.

Jeez, talk about bad choices.

40 actually. It's one of the best cars in the world IMO, but not nearly one of the most expensive.

Just now, BecauseICanTBH said:

40 actually. It's one of the best cars in the world IMO, but not nearly one of the most expensive.

40k is even worse, not sure why you'd bring that up as if it was a strong point, but ok.

40k can buy a lot of personality, performance, style, comfort, etc in a car, yet you bought a Rav4, which has absolutely none of those things. Good life choice!

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

40k is even worse, not sure why you'd bring that up as if it was a strong point, but ok.

40k can buy a lot of personality, performance, style, comfort, etc in a car, yet you bought a Rav4, which has absolutely none of those things. Good life choice!

A rav4 is a good quality vehicle. If he takes care of it, he can probably get 200k+ miles out of it...

My daily?  Im the person who doesn't give a F about what I drive cause they are terribad investments (vehicles) - my wife drives nice shit (my kids safety is paramount, and their daily reliability) but for me:

2003 Old Alero I bought used for $900 5 years ago.  Between a few odds and ends, some new tires etc this is probably the best investment in a vehicle I have ever made.  Just rolled over 220k miles and runs like a top.  Before that was a '05 Lincoln LS where I learned that just cause you look good, feel good, and play hard driving that kind of vehicle - it results in a bad investment every time.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, steelo said:

A rav4 is a good quality vehicle. If he takes care of it, he can probably get 200k out of it...

I never said it's not a quality car. Plus, any car should be hitting 200k miles before any major mechanical issues. Our '98 S70 T5 is still happily chugging along at 237k, and even though it's twenty-two years older than his Rav4, it's faster, pretty damn comfortable, much less of a chance of rolling over if you have to swerve to avoid a deer or whatever, and actually looks pretty good compared to a blobby SUV.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I never said it's not a quality car. Plus, any car should be hitting 200k miles before any major mechanical issues. Our '98 S70 T5 is still happily chugging along at 237k, and even though it's twenty-two years older than his Rav4, it's faster, pretty damn comfortable, much less of a chance of rolling over if you have to swerve to avoid a deer or whatever, and actually looks pretty good compared to a blobby SUV.

In theory, yes every modern car SHOULD reach 200k miles...but I've seen plenty of civics, corollas with 200k miles that are in better mechanical shape than chevys, fords, kias with 100k

Just now, steelo said:

In theory, yes every modern car SHOULD reach 200k miles...but I've seen plenty of civics, corollas with 200k miles that are in better mechanical shape than chevys, fords, kias with 100k

Well, yeah, duh. But those are American and Korean cars, you can't expect them to be reliable...

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Here's my super totally extra ricer ride:

ahahahahah.thumb.jpg.481c150a172ea369476db85332840050.jpg

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Here's my super totally extra ricer ride:

ahahahahah.thumb.jpg.481c150a172ea369476db85332840050.jpg

Niiice! I love trucks, but they're just too damned expensive!

i got my 2003 elantra gt pass 250 000km and my gf's father got his past 350 000 km ... we both didn't put much money in repairs and both did the normal maintenance quite thoroughly.  I liked that car and would still have it if it wasn't for the rust. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD