What do you drive?

BecauseICanTBH

19 civic hatchback sport touring

1LNpEmc.jpg

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 minute ago, vetali said:

19 civic hatchback sport touring

1LNpEmc.jpg

Aesthetics. ???

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

My brother's got a 2020 EX-L hatch and the interior is so god damn nice, it honestly blew me away for a $23k car.

Yeah its very comfy and the center console is awesome.

I regret not waiting to 2020 though. The Si now has the LED headlights. I would of got one of them. Still might if we ever get one in. Its been hard for us to get Si civics. Been 2 years since our last one. We've had more Type R than Si civics.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

On 2/28/2020 at 9:40 PM, BecauseICanTBH said:

What's your daily driver?

For me it's a 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. Love it.

'19 Subaru Legacy. I don't have a photo of mine specifically, so here's a stock photo that's basically a carbon copy of mine.

1060449-2-1024x683.jpg

2008 Chevrolet Express 3500 (Wife’s car)

2013 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ (My matchbox car)

2016 Ford Expedition with full lights / siren package and complete Advanced Life Support package (Work vehicle)

Work car has the Police Interceptor engine ?

42E84D11-43D3-4012-A407-1414218462D5.jpeg

Daily, Focus RS.  4 doors and a hatch for practicality.  Mind bendingly quick on any road that isn't straight.

Weekend, 1989 TransAm GTA.  Teetering on the edge of Race Car.  Only feels right when its doing illegal things.  Took it too far in that direction.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:27 PM, pinksnowbirdie said:

2003 Saab 9-3 Linear

Discord_2ayyvcE3TW.png.dfadc8ca8452296de1cd7183779eb0de.png

Tagging the bf to share his wagon :^ 
@handymanshandle :P

I really really want one of these

5efe4b34bbae4c1abc7635749d145ad2.jpg

Too bad they hit the Regal with a ugly stick a few times before they brought it over from Europe.  Looks way better in EU guise.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

On 2/28/2020 at 10:31 PM, Quibiss said:

MK3 Focus RS

IMG_20191228_145237.jpg

I too know the joys, good and bad.

45880487112_ed14d6cb94_o.jpg

My two toys together in a photo at last.

41443144795_916efba767_o.jpg

Toys:

I daily a 2007 Honda Fit Sport Manual in Nighthawk Black Pearl that's, for the most part, stock with ~192,000 miles. Only "mods" are a drop-in aftermarket armrest, aftermarket cargo cover, optional Honda cargo organizer, and GP Thunder yellow fog light bulbs. I bought it July 2017 with ~179,000. It's still a bit rough but I replaced several of the busted and missing bits to make it much more presentable. The only major repair I've had to do is an alternator. Everything else has been your normal service stuff.

My other car is a 1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Midori Green Pearl with a B16A2 Engine swap... Look at my username. This was my daily from October of 2006 to July 2017 when I got my Fit. Midori Green Pearl is fairly rare factory color. From what I can tell, it was only available on North American (possibly US only) 1996 Civic hatchbacks.

Mods list:

Spoiler

B16A2 Engine Swap from a 99 EM1 Civic Si
JDM P2T ECU from an EK4 Civic SiR connected with DIY Tuning OBD2B to OBD2A Jumper Harness
Y21 Transmission from a JDM EK4 Civic SiR, probably (might be from an EG6)
A/C Delete
AEM Short Ram Intake
Yonaka ITR Style Header
Generic 2.5" High Flow Spun Catalytic Converter
Yonaka Catback Exhaust (shortened mid-pipe)
Lightweight flywheel, but I honestly don't know what it is. I was told a 7lb Clutchmaster.
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
KYB GR-2 Struts
H&R OE Sport Springs
Buddy Club P1 Racing Camber Kits Front + Rear
DC2 Integra Rear Disc Brake Swap
EX/Si Master Cylinder
Goodridge Steel-Braided Brake Lines (Front)
Stoptech Steel-Braided Brake Lines (Rear)

Sparco R100 driver seat (Black/Gray, old seat was falling to pieces)

98-01 DC Integra LS Mesh wheels with 03-05 EM2 Civic EX Center Caps
Falken Ziex ZE-950 Tires (195/55-15)
EDM Manual Folding Mirrors
99-00 Taillights
DX Spoiler Plastidipped Black
Replica Urethane 97-98 Civic Type R front and rear lips
Replica JDM 96-98 Yellow Square Foglights

Replica JDM thin side mouldings
EX Gauge cluster
99-00 Center console with armrest
JDM 99-00 EK9 Civic Type Rx Red stitched leather shift boot
GD/GE Fit Sport Shift Knob
DX Cargo shelf with clips

Mods bought but awaiting installation:

Hasport shift linkage

Energy Suspension shift bushings

K-Tuned Shifter X adjustable shift lever

Yonaka Dual-Core radiator w/ fan and shroud

Mishimoto radiator hoses

Yonaka CV Axles

Yonaka motor mounts

There's also some parts that have been swapped out for better condition stock parts as well such as the steering wheel, airbag, and door panels in the wrong shade of gray (take what I can get), the passenger front seat and rear seat, unpainted grille, primered hatch, etc. Also the front bumper doesn't match. The car is in desperate need of some bodywork and a total respray.

And lastly, it's not mine... yet, but I do drive it from time to time. My parents' 1998 Toyota Tacoma Standard Cab 2WD Base 2.4L Manual in White (that's seriously the factory color name). It's my dad's "daily" (he's retired) but I often drive it when I need a truck. I mostly use it for parts hauling or taking used motor oil and batteries to Advance Auto Parts.

And pics:

Old pic from when I first bought the Fit. The Civic still has US mirrors and a stock seat (there's also a shed and carport in this spot now too):

Spoiler

IMG_20170707_172609.thumb.jpg.7a27ec1453ec727471efc64acf76b14c.jpg

Newer but still old pic (May 2018) from when I installed the rear lip and restored the side skirts. Still haven't installed the new seat or the new DX spoiler (still has the old one, still from a DX, just old and damaged) in this picture:

Spoiler

IMG_20180523_162812notag.thumb.jpg.e8209ee682b71680b3035fffffb7473b.jpg

@B16CXHatch I honestly never understood why anyone would buy a shitty older car, and then spend 5x what they spent on the car to modify it. 

Why wouldn't you just buy a nicer car, not modify it, and have a more pleasant driving experience?

Maybe I'm missing something, but a lot of the posts in this thread are quite confusing to me. What's the mental process that brings about such an order of priorities?

Just now, BecauseICanTBH said:

@B16CXHatch I honestly never understood why anyone would buy a shitty older car, and then spend 5x what they spent on the car to modify it. 

Why wouldn't you just buy a nicer car, not modify it, and have a more pleasant driving experience?

Maybe I'm missing something, but a lot of the posts in this thread are quite confusing to me. What's the mental process that brings about such an order of priorities?

I've had the old car for 13 years. Saving up to buy something nicer was extremely difficult back then. Now I'm in a better place, and it's a project car. I spend money on it now because I want to. It's fun to tinker with it. And more pleasant driving experience is subjective. My mom's 2014 Subaru Forrester is a "nicer" car but boring as hell to drive. My Civic is light and powerful (for it's weight). It's an absolute hoot to drive, even slow.

Just stop and think about the forum your on. Why build PCs? Why not just buy a pre-built? It's simpler and can provide a subjectively better experience. Why tinker with old computers and electronics? Why play older video games? Because it's fun. You basically asked, why do I have a hobby and spend money on it. There is no logic. I enjoy it.

Also, don't call people's cars shitty. That's kind of a dick move bro.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, BecauseICanTBH said:

What's your daily driver?

For me it's a 2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. Love it.

Noice, one of my ex's parents own a used car lot, so I got to drive their family Toyota Rav4 multiple times whenever they were picking up newly acquired cars from the barge. We'd all drive down, then I'd drive the family Rav 4 back while the other 4 family members drove the new-used cars back to the lot.

I currently drive a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV Sport after lots of careful hunting through local for sale by owner listings. These things are hard to come by at a good price in the used market because many people don't like to part with them, and they hold their value like Apple products do. Since acquiring mine about 2 years ago I've enjoyed every minute driving it, including taking it on logging roads, doing some light offroading, throwing the kayaks on the Thule roof racks, and learning how it performs in limp mode. (For anyone wondering, check engine code P000[A/B/C/D] means it's time to play "swap the Oil Control Valves to determine which one(s) need to be replaced" game.)

IMG_1439.thumb.JPG.004f6e0ff89975e77af76d40778d9c90.JPG

While I'd love to rush out and buy a WRX version of the Crosstrek, I don't have the disposable income nor has Subaru released such a model, so I'll just continue being happy with what I have. Plus, I've already wired in a front + rear dashcam (around the side curtain airbags, no doubt) and custom-cut & installed my own mudflaps, so I'm kinda attached to the car for the moment. And yes, the first owner was all flustered over the cat pawprints on the hood, offering to pay to have them professionally removed if it made the sale, but I told her they added character and I like cats anyway, so on they stayed.

29 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Some people really enjoy modifying older (or newer) cars as a hobby, or simply because it may be cheaper to buy an older used car and modify it to suit their needs. For example, it's actually cheaper to take an older non-Sport version of vehicles with certain engines, then tune the engines & swap out a few minor parts to achieve the same HP or driveability that you'd otherwise pay a lot more for in a new or higher model car. To these people, buying a cheaper or older car may have been the only thing they could find or afford at the time, or simply a choice they actively made because they love getting their hands onto things to learn how they work.

While I'm not into cars to the point of doing an engine swap, I certainly see the value in performing my own maintenance & minor repairs because it teaches me hands-on lifeskills I'd otherwise have to pay a mechanic a lot of money to perform for me. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with buying a newer more expensive car with the features you want right out of the gate, nor is there anything wrong with paying someone else to maintain your car if it's within your means, but know that there are a ton of different people out there, some of whom really like getting into the mechanics of things.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

26 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Newer doesn't necessarily mean better or more fun to drive.

There's also the tinkering aspect. Same reason people overclock and modify PCs even though, realistically, you won't notice a qualitative difference.

Plus, it is insanely fun to embarrass an expensive car in the twisties with some shitpile hooptie held together with zip ties, duct tape, prayers, and jbweld.

7 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

There's also the tinkering aspect. Same reason people overclock and modify PCs even though, realistically, you won't notice a qualitative difference.

Plus, it is insanely fun to embarrass an expensive car in the twisties with some shitpile hooptie held together with zip ties, duct tape, prayers, and jbweld.

Fun, sure, assuming the expensive car is actually aimed at performance. I'd say buying an expensive performance-oriented car is just as stupid as paying a bunch to modify a cheaper one. 

Of course, if it's extra money you have laying around, then I suppose having a few toys is a "to each his own" thing.

But if it's your only/primary car, I don't see why anyone would prioritize "fun to drive" over "comfortable and pleasant to drive". I mean, how discontent can one be?

27 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

I've had the old car for 13 years. Saving up to buy something nicer was extremely difficult back then. Now I'm in a better place, and it's a project car. I spend money on it now because I want to. It's fun to tinker with it. And more pleasant driving experience is subjective. My mom's 2014 Subaru Forrester is a "nicer" car but boring as hell to drive. My Civic is light and powerful (for it's weight). It's an absolute hoot to drive, even slow.

Just stop and think about the forum your on. Why build PCs? Why not just buy a pre-built? It's simpler and can provide a subjectively better experience. Why tinker with old computers and electronics? Why play older video games? Because it's fun. You basically asked, why do I have a hobby and spend money on it. There is no logic. I enjoy it.

Also, don't call people's cars shitty. That's kind of a dick move bro.

I build my PCs because I usually want a very specific config that nobody reputable sells pre-built - not because it's fun (it's a total hassle IMO). Perhaps I'm an anomaly though. 

Your comment does shed some light on this for me.

26 minutes ago, kirashi said:

While I'd love to rush out and buy a WRX version of the Crosstrek, I don't have the disposable income nor has Subaru released such a model, so I'll just continue being happy with what I have. Plus, I've already wired in a front + rear dashcam (around the side curtain airbags, no doubt) and custom-cut & installed my own mudflaps, so I'm kinda attached to the car for the moment. And yes, the first owner was all flustered over the cat pawprints on the hood, offering to pay to have them professionally removed if it made the sale, but I told her they added character and I like cats anyway, so on they stayed.

Something I've learned since my last car is to keep stuff portable. I wired my dash cam TF in there last time - pulled off almost every panel in the car to get the wires perfectly integrated. Also drilled through panels and hardwired a bunch of LEDs into the trunk. Took forever. Traded it in 2 months later for my RAV4, lol.

I took a different approach with this car. Just gave it my standard "velcro and tactile dots all over the interior" treatment and jammed the dash cam cables behind panels the best I could (not pretty, don't care).

1.thumb.JPG.117565de8fd44fe5f9a631f292e87315.JPG

3.thumb.jpg.4dfab8ac4dd6d744a9520753924bf03f.jpg

Then I made a custom shelf for the back to hold all my bullshit. It has LEDs and a switch wired onto it, as well as my dash cam wiring harness. I used Anderson Powerpole connectors for everything, so my dash cam basically just plugs into a port on my shelf, then there's only one cable connecting to the battery, which can unplug from the shelf to remove it. No bolts. Now I can move all my stuff to a new car pretty easily.

A nice benefit to the APP connectors is that I can easily plug into it to jump start the car or even use it as a backup generator.

2.thumb.JPG.26cf271defead8920641e7035afc5dd0.JPG

55 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Sleepers are always fun as long as the bones are good.  Like a 500HP station wagon that looks, sounds, and drives like you'd expect until you mash a bit harder on the throttle.

Wait... wot.....???    Some still havent figured out you can trade a car for more pc-parts????

Seriously though, I drive a hyundai Ionic hybrid, company car so paid for and fine with me, and its wel suited to the european roads and traffic (read: g@damn@d small parking spaces where you need 30 sensors and 15 cameras to get in).

Every year though we go on safari in africa for a few weeks and rent something "more robust, high, and substantial" there; mostly toyotas or nissans.

Personally i see a car as something you just need but other than thzt is a complete waste of money to spend a dime more on than neccesary.

58 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

But if it's your only/primary car, I don't see why anyone would prioritize "fun to drive" over "comfortable and pleasant to drive". I mean, how discontent can one be?

Also, just because it's modified doesn't make it uncomfortable. My car before the Civic hatch was a 95 Civic coupe that I got from my brother. He put cheap coilovers on it. It rode like garbage. And when it had 17" wheels with paper thin tires, it was even worse, which is why I put 15" wheels with fatter (stock size) tires on it. When I got my hatchback, it had factory springs that were cut to lower it. It too rode like shit. I replaced that garbage with some nice high quality H&R OE Sport lowering springs. OE Sports are barely lower than factory so they actually raised the car. I also switched from some rock hard BF Goodrich tires to some nicer Falken Ziex ZE-912 tires. It was a well known fact in my family that, at the time, my 96 Civic with lowering springs and Z-rated tires was the best riding car in the whole family fleet. It rode better than my mom's then new 2008 Civic.

And again, pleasant is subjective. Many (most in the US) find automatic/CVT transmissions more pleasant. I don't. That's why I specifically tracked down a manual Fit Sport. I had all kinds of automatics to pick from but very few manuals. I paid a small premium to get a manual one that was a little rougher than the autos. Since I don't live in a urban area with lots of stop and go traffic, a manual just makes my driving experience more enjoyable. But since it's a Sport, it still has the nicer radio and cruise control among other small upgrades over the base model.

19 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Sleepers are always fun as long as the bones are good.  Like a 500HP station wagon that looks, sounds, and drives like you'd expect until you mash a bit harder on the throttle.

My mechanic has a semi-sleeper 99 Civic Si. Looks like any other mildly modded Si out there. It has the same engine as mine, well, the same block and head. BUT, the internals are completely different and it has a bigass turbo on it. I makes over 500HP to the wheels and is scarily quick.

Current car until it goes back in october.

2020 Mini Cooper S Sport

My old daily in the background

20191207_140418.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

I never understood why people would ever buy cars period. No matter how worthless your car is, and how little you drive it, you’re gonna generously donate a significant part of your income to an insurance company every month. And insurance is only getting more expensive over time, as there are fewer companies every year and a monopoly is just around the corner. A lot of people are just better off taking public transportation and renting a vehicle when necessary. But I understand that it’s not an option for many people. 

Thankfully, I’ll always have a company car due to my line of work. I’m never ever gonna pay for insurance or gas. That’s like flushing money down the toilet. 

10 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I never understood why people would ever buy cars period. No matter how worthless your car is, and how little you drive it, you’re gonna generously donate a significant part of your income to an insurance company every month. And insurance is only getting more expensive over time, as there are fewer companies every year and a monopoly is just around the corner. A lot of people are just better off taking public transportation and renting a vehicle when necessary. But I understand that it’s not an option for many people. 

Thankfully, I’ll always have a company car due to my line of work. I’m never ever gonna pay for insurance or gas. That’s like flushing money down the toilet. 

I'd pay far more than I pay now just to have a car that I can use whenever I want. It's a freedom and I personally find it to be well worth the cost. Insurance is pretty cheap anyways (of course that's subjective).

There are fewer companies every year because the shitty ones are ripping people off and then obviously going out of business. The type of businesses that prey on and depend on peoples' lack of knowledge/research never last very long.

Never really understood the point of shitting on other people's rides. Here in the US, even something ratty means you were able to get a car into your life and that you put work towards it. I respect anyone who was able to hustle their way into their car.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.