Intel Core i9-10900K 10-core Processor and Z490 Chipset Arrive April 2020

It's like people forget Intel is a business. Why are they releasing this product? Because their stakeholders would be absolutely furious if they didn't. They are only doing what they are physically able to at this point to keep investors happy.

I guarantee Intel are aware of their reputation at this point, but there's nothing they can do about it until 7nm is ready.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

lmao, i think not 14nm smh, pci 3... bruh moment for intel 14+++++++++ headass. come on like is it gonna be the same thing with the 9900k? it's just gonna generate more heat and become an hedt chip at this point...

The big news for Z490 is if "Rocket Lake" is going to be compatible with it, as rumors point to AVX512 support and substantial IPC improvement.

Even if you lose 2 cores (8/16 instead of 10/20), that will still make a lot of people happy for the AVX 512 and IPC boost.  That's what I'm wondering about.

Why does Intel keep doing this? Because to the average Joe on the street larger number > better, they're not going to understand ANY of the technical aspects of it so that's why Intel keeps pumping them out.

Seriously another fucking chipset plus a new socket to justify making forcing another motherboard purchase.  

Do they even get it or do they have theirs heads so far in the sand they can't hear consumers saying asking for at least 2 generations on a single chipset.

Wtf

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

9 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

It does? I thought it doesn't.

It's "solder". It's quite literally a fancy name for a new TIM.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

9 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Who knows, but we know it is not going to be affordable.

Still going with Ryzen!

I think AMD is going to take the FPS lead for the first time in over a decade next year unless you can consistently get 5.5GHz Overclocks on these new chips.

AMD doesn't even need to release a new architecture, just boost the IFclock up so you can get 4000-4200MHz RAM in 1:1 mode and raise clock speeds on the eight core CPUs to 4.4GHz base and 4.8GHz boost and I don't think Intel can compete with that in gaming.

This might be Intel's Bulldozer moment where they can't do anything except throw thermals and power efficiency out the window and jack the frequency up and hope for the best lol

11 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

clock speed (intels going to get the heater name)

Intel becoming the very thing they destroyed (the AMD FX-series)

Oh how the turntables

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

10 hours ago, porina said:

I kinda wish they backported Ice Lake to 14nm as it would be more interesting

I don't understand why Intel just doesn't do it already. Been wondering why Intel hasn't designed a new CPU architecture just because of 10nm issues. If they did enthusiast desktops CPUs would have bigger improvements. I am pretty sure architecture is more important and has a bigger impact on performance than process node.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

2 hours ago, Elisis said:

It's "solder". It's quite literally a fancy name for a new TIM.

Seeing as solder is used as a thermal interface material, yes.

22 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Intel becoming the very thing they destroyed (the AMD FX-series)

Oh how the turntables

Except that for the vast majority of tasks, the FX lineup couldn't compete with Intel chips' performance.

Whereas Intel's 8 cores and AMD's 8 cores are pretty close to each other. And, unlike AMD, Intel has a large enough bank account that they can advertise to the masses, who don't know how to compare CPUs outside of GHz.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Except that for the vast majority of tasks, the FX lineup couldn't compete with Intel chips' performance.

Whereas Intel's 8 cores and AMD's 8 cores are pretty close to each other. And, unlike AMD, Intel has a large enough bank account that they can advertise to the masses, who don't know how to compare CPUs outside of GHz.

you nailed it, because advertising is everything, absolutely everything!

the FX lineup was a joke!

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Seeing as solder is used as a thermal interface material, yes.

Obviously the performance was a huge letdown for the FX-series

But Intel right now is going the same path that AMD did in trying to cram as much cores and clock speed into their chips, at what point would it just become almost impossible to cool when its overclocked.

The 9900K is already a hot boi as it is, cramming more cores and boosting the clock speed isn't exactly gonna help with temperature now is it? Sure people will still buy it, its ****ing Intel after all and they can probably sell it off brand recognition alone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

2 hours ago, amdorintel said:

you nailed it, because advertising is everything, absolutely everything!

the FX lineup was a joke!

At the time FX was a joke, but the FX-8350 aged a lot better than the 4 thread intel CPUs of the era. These days the FX-8350 probably gives better frame rate consistency in new games than even the 7600k.

4 hours ago, Thomas001 said:

I don't understand why Intel just doesn't do it already. Been wondering why Intel hasn't designed a new CPU architecture just because of 10nm issues. If they did enthusiast desktops CPUs would have bigger improvements. I am pretty sure architecture is more important and has a bigger impact on performance than process node.

I'd guess it is two factors:

1, the belief they can fix 10nm in a timely manner

2, it would take a LONG time, during which #1 would happen

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

oh wow comparing intels chips to fx chips lol not even close comparison

https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

and thats all chips at 4ghz might have got tighter though with other variables but not much changed

and we all know intel can do all core way higher or even more boosting higher

amd needs to get this part right, before intel does the chiplet design

and these big multicore scores are kinda not as big as a deal as everyone makes out to be

wasnt the fx line multicore monsters but then not as much utilized cores(not to mention other things) but software is still limiting this area also

because they dont want to alienate users (hate it but its a slow process)

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

oh wow comparing intels chips to fx chips lol not even close comparison

https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

and thats all chips at 4ghz might have got tighter though with other variables but not much changed

and we all know intel can do all core way higher or even more boosting higher

amd needs to get this part right, before intel does the chiplet design

and these big multicore scores are kinda not as big as a deal as everyone makes out to be

wasnt the fx line multicore monsters but then not as much utilized cores but software is still limiting this area also

because they dont want to alienate users (hate it but its a slow process)

FX is very, very, very different to Ryzen lol. FX was beaten in actual use by i5s, whereas Zen and Zen+ competed with older HEDT chips (Haswell-E 6c and 8c i7s) and only lost out due to lower clock headroom, and Zen 2 competes with current gen Intel, only losing out in straight gaming due to again, lower clock headroom. Zen 2's IPC is actually better than Intel's now IIRC, Intel chips just clock high enough to barely overcome that. Unless you need every last frame or are building a gaming specific rig, AMD's Ryzen platform usually brings much better perf/$, both in games and multitasking/multicore workloads. HEDT gets tricky, due to the massive price of new TR chips compared to Intel's price slashed X299. But in mainstream, Ryzen is fighting Intel real damn hard and winning in a lot of use cases. 

Although yes, people doing not-multicore stuff love to quote massive multicore scores even though that doesn't really mean much in actual use (same as how under normal everyday gaming/web browsing the difference between a 6c and 8c CPU at the same clocks/IPC isn't really noticeable). More clock headroom would be nicer on Ryzen, but AMD focuses on pulling the absolute most out of the CPUs already, their PBO boost is very good if you're more casual about your hardware. It only sucks for specific enthusiasts like me, who want to pull a clean all-core OC with a satisfying number, vs tweaking RAM and OCing individual CCXs. Haven't had hands-on with Zen 2 yet though, but back on Zen+, PBO made for better gaming perf than actually manually OCing, which was disappointing and the reason I moved back to Intel. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

FX is very, very, very different to Ryzen lol. FX was beaten in actual use by i5s, whereas Zen and Zen+ competed with older HEDT chips (Haswell-E 6c and 8c i7s) and only lost out due to lower clock headroom, and Zen 2 competes with current gen Intel, only losing out in straight gaming due to again, lower clock headroom. Zen 2's IPC is actually better than Intel's now IIRC, Intel chips just clock high enough to barely overcome that. Unless you need every last frame or are building a gaming specific rig, AMD's Ryzen platform usually brings much better perf/$, both in games and multitasking/multicore workloads. HEDT gets tricky, due to the massive price of new TR chips compared to Intel's price slashed X299. But in mainstream, Ryzen is fighting Intel real damn hard and winning in a lot of use cases. 

Although yes, people doing not-multicore stuff love to quote massive multicore scores even though that doesn't really mean much in actual use (same as how under normal everyday gaming/web browsing the difference between a 6c and 8c CPU at the same clocks/IPC isn't really noticeable). More clock headroom would be nicer on Ryzen, but AMD focuses on pulling the absolute most out of the CPUs already, their PBO boost is very good if you're more casual about your hardware. It only sucks for specific enthusiasts like me, who want to pull a clean all-core OC with a satisfying number, vs tweaking RAM and OCing individual CCXs. Haven't had hands-on with Zen 2 yet though, but back on Zen+, PBO made for better gaming perf than actually manually OCing, which was disappointing and the reason I moved back to Intel. 

of course its very different to ryzen also by far

i'm just stating these comments comparing intel to fx line

me personally I would take 9900k over 3700x or 3800x but over the 3900x or 3950x i'd be in a pickle because i'd be trading small performance in certain areas to gain more performance in an area I really dont need to utilize all those cores often,

Increasing the core count by 2 every year isn't going to cut it when AMD looks to be doubling it every 18 months

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I mean if they can beat AMD to the price I might just consider it.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Intel should just do what AMD did and solder 2 cpu chips onto 1 cpu like they started doing with thread ripper if cant beat them copy them.

you should read up on who actually "glued" first

25 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Increasing the core count by 2 every year isn't going to cut it when AMD looks to be doubling it every 18 months

mainstream really doesnt need it though

everywhere else I agree