Motorola Announces 2020 Razr folding phone

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963294/motorola-razr-new-foldable-smartphone-android-hands-on-flip-phone-photos-video

Motorola have officially announced their new 2020 Razr folding flip-phone after many leaks. It will only be released on Verizon in the US and an unlocked version has not yet been announced. 

It’ll cost $1,499 when it arrives in January 2020.

Specifications:

• Snapdragon 710 processor
  • 6GB RAM
  • 128GB internal storage
  • 6.2-inch foldable pOLED display (2142 x 876)
  • 2.7-inch Quick View display (800 x 600)
  • 16MP front-facing camera, f/1.7 with Night Vision mode
  • 5MP internal camera
  • 2510mAh battery
  • USB-C
  • eSIM
  • Android 9 Pie
  • Fingerprint reader

spacer.png

Source: The Verge

Hello from Down Under!

For that price No... But if it had all the top of the line specs and a headphone jack...... Yea I am up for V 2

Too much early adopter tax to be worth it sadly ...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

3 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Why does it have a notch even though the clock and icons do not move to the extra part of the screen?

In the article it mentions that this is a 2019 review unit. The software will probably be more polished on release. 

Hello from Down Under!

This actually looks amazing. They stuck to the original screen and just replaced the entire thing with a screen, no crease too! Too bad it has a SD710 and it's $1500. 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

4 hours ago, hobobobo said:

im seriously tempted to throw away 1,5 grand for a cool toy...

Real problem is they'll probably have a second gen one out by the end of 2020 for 999USD. But this form factor truly is awesome. As it comes down in price, there'll be a lot of people that'll prefer the much more compact and protected screen experience.

That is so a cool design. The way they designed the hinge is fantastic and it appears to eliminate a lot of the issues Samsung and Huawei have had with their designs (most noticeably the crease.

Seems like Motorola did a fantastic job with this... But I am not going to buy that for 1500 dollars. Maybe when it has top tier specs, costs half as much and when my S10 needs to be replaced. The design and tech looks very promising though. I hope they keep improving it.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That is so a cool design. The way they designed the hinge is fantastic and it appears to eliminate a lot of the issues Samsung and Huawei have had with their designs (most noticeably the crease.

Seems like Motorola did a fantastic job with this... But I am not going to buy that for 1500 dollars. Maybe when it has top tier specs, costs half as much and when my S10 needs to be replaced. The design and tech looks very promising though. I hope they keep improving it.

It's kind of like a proof of concept product that some people can buy. 

It'll go down in price over time as it's refined. I kinda like this take though 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

16 hours ago, Hasmar04 said:

Motorola have officially announced their new 2020 Razr folding flip-phone after many leaks.

Oh nice, I remember the RAZR

16 hours ago, Hasmar04 said:

It’ll cost $1,499

1336336968_ltlawl(3).JPG.6a2e2887991bdacc529dbaba87244995.JPG

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

$1500 wow what a colossal waste of money!

wont even be rugged

Not so much a waste as just something you absolutely need to understand before you buy it.  You have to be a willing early adopter who knows the limitations and is willing to spend a lot to have cutting-edge tech.  With that said: most people will be much better off waiting a generation or two.

The form factor (from what I can see in pictures) doesn't lend itself to gaming (or any landscape tasks) where top-tier specs really tend to matter. That ridge on the bottom and raised frame around the rest makes the typical horizontal hold somewhat awkward. It makes sense not to pair this form factor with high end specs. The hardware would be wasted.

The price though... That's a lot of money for a form factor.

looks real nice other than that chin...

is the whole system in that chin

✨FNIGE✨

Motorola HAD to put a notch there because... Apple.

SMH. 

Also, the battery is just too small at 2,500mAh. No surprise they deviated from the Snapdragon 800 Series SoC. 

Personally, I think these folding phones make ZERO sense, at least right now.

5 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

looks real nice other than that chin...

is the whole system in that chin

You've never used the original RAZR, have you? ?

Motorola doesn't stuff absolutely everything in there, but that is where the speakers, USB-C connector and fingerprint reader go.  The rest is actually in the back, which is no mean feat given how thin the phone is (when it's open, that is).

5 hours ago, Man said:

Personally, I think these folding phones make ZERO sense, at least right now.

Smartphones in general have become pretty boring on the innovation side (and no I dont care about camera arrays) so something like this is always welcomed. Hell if flip phones like this become common in the future ill be a bit more happier.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:36 PM, Commodus said:

who knows the limitations and is willing to spend a lot to have cutting-edge tech.

cutting edge technology

like what?

12 hours ago, amdorintel said:

cutting edge technology

like what?

Foldable screen tech?  Hell, it's even more novel the way it's executed here, with a clamshell design and no creasing.