I don't get why people like/want wirelesscharging?

Altruist

Mine is on a cradle type stand to the right of my main monitor.

Gives me the ability to read things quickly and determine if I even need to touch the phone.

The fact that it just so happens to be charging while doing this is nice.

It'd be annoying to have to apply pressure to remove the phone if it was plugged in.

I have two charging pads, one at home and one at work. I come home and put my phone on my desk charger. I go to work and put my phone on my desk charger. Its an S9 so battery life isn't great, keeping it topped up is pretty important. Plus the pads support wireless fast charging. My system works well and is super convenient, I can pick up my phone and set it down without plugging or unplugging it. 

Similar arguments for corded vs cordless headphones. Cordless is just nicer for everyday use 

also i just thought of this, but way less strain on the usb-c connector as well. Mine is still brand new looking 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Imagine a world where you sit down at your desk and when you set down your phone to use your computer and when you leave it's just magically more charged. Or when you go to bed and it's pitch black and you don't want to wake up with a dead battery in your phone and you just set it on the nightstand wake up and it's charged. Sure I could plug in my phone to my quick charger when i wake up and have 70% battery by the time I get out of the shower but, still. Sure these are very first world problems but, it would be nice to have the option. I use my phone alot. Battery technology still isn't very great in smartphones and adding a bit of an extra boost while you're just sitting down is a good thing no?  That way you don't even need to think about charging your phone. 

unnecessary

On 9/7/2019 at 7:59 PM, Altruist said:

Just to begin im an anti-wireless charging guy or anything i just see why it liked so much, and heres why.

1. it's harder to use the phone while it's charging

2. it charger MUCH slower then current charging tech (samsung, huawei, oppo or even usb pd)

3. it's not as efficient as wired charging (energy loss)

Guys change my mind, tell me the advantages of wireless charging and why you think its good :D

I totally agree it's really unnecessary, electroboom explained how un-efficient it is and slow, I just prefer a cable, When it gets as efficient and fast as wired then i might use it at home on my setup. I'm pretty concious about my house power consumption as i have a few really high power draw amplifiers. 

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 9/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, Altruist said:

So plug it in if you need to use it while charging.

2. it charger MUCH slower then current charging tech (samsung, huawei, oppo or even usb pd)

So plug it in if you are in a hurry.

No reasonable person cares about the efficiency difference.

The fact of the matter is wireless charging is much more convenient. Period. It has some disadvantages as well but those are easily circumvented by using wired charging when appropriate.

-ws

11 hours ago, Zyzzyan said:

Like the loss of the head phone jack, it could lead to better waterproofing.  That's a plus.

This is a myth caused, as far as I can tell, by people having a short memory.  There were phones with headphone jacks and also IP 68 water ratings, and there are phones with no jack that still aren't well insulated.  Just like removable batteries, water proofing is not an excuse.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

25 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

15w wireless charger on s10+, same speed.

What's the wattage of the charger that drives it?  Since you lose wattage from the charger to the transfer between the pad and phone.  You still have to feed in something like 15W of charging to get 10W of wireless charge to the phone itself.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:43 PM, The_Prycer said:

In the future however, wireless charging will do the same to USB-C (or whatever type we're using by then) ports that Apple did to the 3.5mm jack. It will allow one fewer point of entry for dust, water, and other damaging entities to get to the internal components of the device. Imagine a phone that requires a Bluetooth headset to be able to talk on and can only charge wirelessly. You and I might think that's a dumbass idea (and it is), but to hardware manufacturers, this is now an electronic device with no obvious entry points on it for water or dust to stroll on in and cause damage. Your phone is now totally waterproof straight from the factory, no case required.

Counter argument: I often use my phone while it's charging. That is fairly hard when it has to be connected to some weird pad. How'd I do that?

---

Wireless charging is cool. It's like magic. Plop your phone onto some weird thing and somehow it's charging. That being said, I've never had a phone that could charge wirelessly, and, seeing as I generally either charge my phone at night, or while I'm using it, it does not really have a place in my life. I much prefer a 2 or 3 meter cable, you can go everywhere in my room with that. :D

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

how else am I going to put a charger under my desk?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 9/7/2019 at 3:07 PM, Drak3 said:

It's a convenience thing. The people that like it, like it because you literally need to set the phone down and that's it.

Apparently plugging charging table is too much work. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 minutes ago, comander said:

I've had a bunch of Qi chargers over the years that I got for cheap. 

I like being able to set my phone down and forget it. Beyond that some set ups, such as the wireless charging stand for the pixel 3, are just plane nice to use. At some level your phone becomes a grab and go Google Assistant device. 

I will agree that it can be annoying to fiddle with the cord at times. 

Some people have high incomes and want to put that money to use to make their lives more pleasurable. Others, like my mother, have bone cancer and any little thing that can given them ease and comfort make a difference. 

On the lower end, chargers can be had for as low as $10 so...

My wireless charger came from 5 Below (For those who don't know what that is, its like a really nice dollar store but things cost $5 and less, not $1 and less)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is a myth caused, as far as I can tell, by people having a short memory.  There were phones with headphone jacks and also IP 68 water ratings, and there are phones with no jack that still aren't well insulated.  Just like removable batteries, water proofing is not an excuse.

*Looks at Galaxy S5*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I also agree, some things are just better off the way they where designed and created. The whole lets go smaller and wireless thing is not my cup of tea and I think many would agree

13 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Counter argument: I often use my phone while it's charging. That is fairly hard when it has to be connected to some weird pad. How'd I do that?

I have a theory that phone cases of the future will have wireless charging capabilities so you'd just plug your battery case in to something instead of your phone. 

To further my tinfoil hat theories, the cases of the future might also feature Bluetooth microphones and Speakers to remove points of ingress from your mobile internet device that you sometimes call people on.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Wireless charging works quite quickly actually. 

maybe not as fast as USB-C but it charges faster than my old smartphones did even when using wireless charging. 

Also wireless charging saves my USB-C port from wear and tear , no needing to replace cords ect. 

I can still use USB-C charging if needed and the ports are like new and no chance of it breaking off in the phone etc. 

This post is odd to me , its a good feature i use it for the same kind of reasons i used the magnetic charging on my Xperia Z1 when i had that.. except this wireless charging is far far far faster than the magnetic pad charging the Xperia Z1 had. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

16 hours ago, comander said:

On the lower end, chargers can be had for as low as $10 so...

that is about the price of 2 lightning cables! /s

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

People keep saying that its more convenient but i dont get it(well i do exept....), isn't it MORE convenient for it to actually be fully charged when you need it? Wireless charging is just slower and therefore may not be full when needed.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

On 9/7/2019 at 2:59 PM, Altruist said:

Just to begin im an anti-wireless charging guy or anything i just see why it liked so much, and heres why.

Guys change my mind, tell me the advantages of wireless charging and why you think its good :D

I agree. My wife loves them, but I simply don't get how it's more 'convenient' It's slower and a couple of times I was almost screwed when my phone (that was supposed to be charging wirelessly) died and my alarm never went off to wake me up for work.

How difficult is it to plug in a charging cable? 

For one, wireless charging means no wear and tear on cables or the USB port on the phone.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I like wireless charging because the USB port on my phone it always getting pocket lint in it and therefore does not usually connect correctly once plugged in. Without a case my S8 does not get too hot while charging wirelessly. 

( I did not read much past the thread title, sorry )

Been using a wireless mouse for about a week now, with wireless charging pad. It is a "why didn't I do it sooner" moment. The lack of cable does make a difference to the handling, and with it being charged from the mat, I don't have to remember to plug it in to charge and I retain that convenience of a corded mouse. While I try to remember to turn off the mouse overnight when not in use, even if I don't I see the battery level reported as over 90% on next use.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The only wireless charging I like is the Logitech Powerplay, that's how a wireless charger should work, keeping the device live forever with endless power wirelessly.

One great of technology by Logitech, well done..

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15