I don't get why people like/want wirelesscharging?

Altruist
1 hour ago, nick name said:

Intentional puns?  

shhh

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

My charger doubles as a stand for video and media viewing. It is also a fast charging wireless pad which while slower than a cable is only about 2 min slower for a full charge.

I only need a wire if I want to make a physical connection to a pc which isn't even needed now. So there is no reason to use a cable from day to day

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

My charger doubles as a stand for video and media viewing. It is also a fast charging wireless pad which while slower than a cable is only about 2 min slower for a full charge.

I only need a wire if I want to make a physical connection to a pc which isn't even needed now. So there is no reason to use a cable from day to day

You timed it?  And the difference was only 2 minutes? 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

My phone does not do wireless charging but I am seriously considering it to be honest. I'm a mechanic and my phone's usb ports are constantly getting crud inside and its a pain to get it out making plugging a cable in a chore. I also own a Samsung Galaxy Watch Active that charges wireless. I love it. If my phone would do the same I would be in heaven.

9 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Sorry 20 minutes was a typo

That's still not bad.  And good on you for measuring.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

My experience when I saw a wireless charger dock before knowing that such device even exsist in public, I thought it was a small speaker. When I relize that is a wireless charger I was cluelessly put my phone on it, and it didn't charge my phone. What?!

Later on, I found that I need a wireless charging supported phone to use that. I was like, "meh." what's the point of wireless charger when it can't simply charge all the phone out there which doesn't have special feature, right?

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Wireless charging is currently a luxury feature. It is the same luxury as using Bluetooth mice/keyboards/headsets. You don't have to have wires causing a mess around you. There are a few vehicles with built in wireless charging spots now as well so you don't have to have wires getting tangled in your driving space which is nice I guess.

In the future however, wireless charging will do the same to USB-C (or whatever type we're using by then) ports that Apple did to the 3.5mm jack. It will allow one fewer point of entry for dust, water, and other damaging entities to get to the internal components of the device. Imagine a phone that requires a Bluetooth headset to be able to talk on and can only charge wirelessly. You and I might think that's a dumbass idea (and it is), but to hardware manufacturers, this is now an electronic device with no obvious entry points on it for water or dust to stroll on in and cause damage. Your phone is now totally waterproof straight from the factory, no case required.

Which leads me to my next point.

Phone cases of the future will be what charges your phone.

You'll plug the actual case in overnight, drop your entirely solid phone in to it in the morning, and the case's Bluetooth mic and speaker will transmit sound for you while the case battery provides a slow wireless charge whenever you get below 60% battery power.

This allows manufacturers to sell us even more peripherals on the marketing claim of "airtight devices" 

Just as almost every business offers "free Wi-Fi" now, don't think for a second that McDonald's  won't install wireless charging areas at every table to keep customers coming inside once the technology becomes more mainstream.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Just now, The_Prycer said:

Your phone is now totally waterproof straight from the factory,

Not going to happen. Kyocera has proven that it can be done with little effort whilst retaining the 3.5mm and USB-B ports.

2 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

It will allow one fewer point of entry for dust, water, and other damaging entities to get to the internal components of the device

The 3.5mm and USB ports don't allow that. The internals of the phone are well sealed off from the port. The ingress points are speaker and microphone openings, and any gaps in the glue holding the screen and back together.

The 3.5mm is being dropped on high end phones to save a penny and try to push wireless headphones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I think in the future it would be good cuz the charger could identify or be set by the owner what phone he's charging, so he could make the charger charging the device at the most effective way for that particular phone, while not harming his battery.

PS2 Fat(JP) : PS2 S Silver(EU) : PS3 Super Slim : Nintendo Switch
Wii(x2) : SNES CE : Xbox One : Xbox 360 S(EU) : PS Vita 2000

Probably because it's convenient, no wires to connect/disconnect, no connector to wear out, etc...

I've got a wireless charger on my desk for my Galaxy S7. I don't use it when I need a fast charge, but if I'm at my computer, I'll toss it on there just to keep the charge level up.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I don't see much of an upside except it's probably a hell of a lot more durable than micro USB B cables

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

This is strictly from personal experience but I like it because the USB-C connections are garbage on both phones Ive owned and are finicky or downright stop working after a few months of having them. Im a dual phone person, I have an iPhone and currently have a pixel2xl and a previous android before. Ive replaced this pixel 2 times in the first year of owning it due to the USB-C connection port breaking. Not the cable, but the port in the phone itself. Ive been an iphone guy since the iPhone 4 and have never had a problem with either the 30 pin or the lighting cable receiver on them. Ive had a Galaxy s3, s5, s7 edge and now a Pixel2xl and all of those phones developed problems with their cables inside a year of owning them. So now I just charge my Pixel using wireless charging solely to avoid having the damn connector break yet again.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Not going to happen. Kyocera has proven that it can be done with little effort whilst retaining the 3.5mm and USB-B ports.

The 3.5mm and USB ports don't allow that. The internals of the phone are well sealed off from the port. The ingress points are speaker and microphone openings, and any gaps in the glue holding the screen and back together.

The 3.5mm is being dropped on high end phones to save a penny and try to push wireless headphones.

And eventually the charging ports will be dropped for purely wireless charging for the same reason once they think they can get away with it. I can envision a phone being deployed with no ingress points that is all wireless just to prove they can do it (I predict Apple). Honestly I can almost support the idea since it'd stop people blaring loud ass music on trains or speaker phoning in public, but that's another topic for another day.

While yes, charging ports are not major points of entry, I've literally had a coworker's phones not charge because they had a dusty port (granted he was 70 and it was his first smartphone, but I digress). Blew it out with some compressed air and all was right again. Even with the seal, things do still manage to get in and can cause problems.

Also Kyocera is one of those brands I keep liking and never buying. If I used the Android platform I'd probably use a Kyocera model.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

1 minute ago, The_Prycer said:

And eventually the charging ports will be dropped for purely wireless charging

No, they won't. For a very simple reason too: USB accessories.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Who needs 3rd party USB accessories when you can sell them OEM wireless accessories that aren't cross compatible instead? 

Honestly I don't see the USB port being removed any time soon, but give it 15-20 years and I do think we'll see a prototype phone teased or even released that functions entirely without ports.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

I mean they have to keep inventing stuff to keep people buying new phones... it's very straight forwards.

I believe we're nearly the point the whole smartphone industry might collapse to a degree because in a lot of markets people are starting to be perfectly satisfied with their smartphones and can't really be convinced to replace them yet, there seems to have been a decrease with plans providing free phones and alike.

We used to see the replace every year habit quite frequently up to 4 and more years ago but these days most are sticking with it for 2 or more years.

Myself have been using my Nokia 8 for a few years now and why would I replace it when it does everything I need fine? phones arguably don't show off status as much as it used to as well due to how popular they become, flagship or not.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

My wireless charger is set on my PC desk. So its not like Im using my phone when Im sitting at the desk having it charged. On top of that I charge my phone in my area to and from work. Because I use Apple Car Play. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Personally I don't have a use for it either.  If it worked like the light based system Linus showed off a while back (but a lot better) that might change my mind, but so long as I have to set the phone on a pad anyway, and it has to be perfectly positioned, and it has to not be made out of certain materials, etc. etc. I don't see that as easier or better than just plugging it in, especially now with USB type C.  But if anything I'm more confused by fast charging than wireless charging.  I just don't see how it would ever be necessary.  On a heavy day I can use maybe 1/3 of my phone's battery, and granted I have more than most people (5500 mAh), but if you do the math, even a 3000 mAh should get through the day like that, and if not, you can't tell me that it's impossible to charge it "slowly" (~1.5 amps or less, which is still not really that slow) throughout the day and still keep up.  Of course, being unnecessary by itself is not a problem, it's the fact that it's also got serious downsides like creating a bunch of heat that reduces battery lifespan while you do it, thus perpetuating the problem and making you need to charge even more throughout the day.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, Altruist said:

1. it's harder to use the phone while it's charging

Not necessarily. There are ways to use your device remotely nowadays. WhatsApp has a desktop application that allows you to view and send WhatsApp messages from your computer via your phone. Microsoft has the Phone Companion for viewing and sending text messages from your Android and iOS device, similar to what Apple has been doing with MacOS and iOS for years. And Samsung has the SideSync application that allows you to remotely control your entire Galaxy device from your computer. I personally have been using SideSync and it works rather well.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Except Bluetooth is a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if all ports disappear from at least some phones within the next few years.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

Except Bluetooth is a thing.

Doesn't work for phone fans, lights, USB sticks, USB OTG, HDMI adapters, and similar accessories.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Doesn't work for phone fans, lights, USB sticks, USB OTG, HDMI adapters, and similar accessories.

Not many people use USB OTG, and with the number of different cloud file sharing sites/apps, I doubt many use flash drives with their phones either.

HDMI can be solved with wireless video casting/mirroring (You can mirror your Android device on a Roku, fire tv, android tv, etc...) over wifi.

Phone fans suck ass. They get in the way and they drain your battery. Also, who tf uses a plug in light with their phone?

The only things I even semi-regularly connect to my phone are wired earbuds (because wireless audio generally is trash), and a charging cable. 

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Bluetooth or even wifi already exists to negate that as a reason for data transfer, and I wouldn't want to use phone USB to charge external devices. It also isn't any good as a mechanical interface to hold another device attached.

Personally I have exactly two use occasional cases for plugging things to a phone other than charging.

1, to get data between it and a desktop. Most desktops don't have Bluetooth, and even if dongles are cheap, a cabled "just works" without faffing around with pairing and such.

2, I have an FLIR camera that attaches to the phone by USB-C connector. I don't use it much as the device sucks. I should do a user review of it some time.

If connected charging were to be removed, #1 would be a one-time pain to set up on each PC I'd want to use it with. #2 is just me buying a poorly implemented product and should have got something nicer. Probably not one using a phone.

In other news, I just ordered my first wireless mouse. A significant contributing factor to this was that it can be charged on pad during use. If it works as advertised, I'll never need to remember to charge it. Efficiency isn't important as long as it isn't noticeably warm. I could use USB testing equipment at work and measure power when I get it. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 9/8/2019 at 4:59 AM, Altruist said:

Just to begin im an anti-wireless charging guy or anything i just see why it liked so much, and heres why.

1. it's harder to use the phone while it's charging

2. it charger MUCH slower then current charging tech (samsung, huawei, oppo or even usb pd)

3. it's not as efficient as wired charging (energy loss)

Guys change my mind, tell me the advantages of wireless charging and why you think its good :D

Ever had the charging port wear out or break on a phone? That's why. The drawbacks are worth it, also you don't even need to use wireless charging, you can still use the cable. So its not a bad thing.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL