Canon Announces New 31" 2000000:1 4K Display

ThePointblank

Canon hs released a brand new 31" 4K HDR reference monitor that offers an astonishing 2,000 cd/m2 edge to edge peak luminance and a blackness ratio od 0.001cd/m2 to create a 2000000:1 contrast ratio. This greatly exceeds the Dolby Vision specifications. There is also a built in HDR Toolkit to help editors grade images as well. 

Per the presser, this is a LCD IPS display with an LED back light developed by Canon. And this display will set you back a lot of dough; list price of this display is $39,000 USD, and will be available this November. 

The promo video:

From PR Newswire:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/canons-new-dp-v3120-4k-reference-display-delivers-unprecedented-hdr-capabilities-300912512.html

Canon's New DP-V3120 4K Reference Display Delivers Unprecedented HDR Capabilities

Display features edge-to-edge luminance of up to 2,000 cd/m(2) and high contrast Ratio of 2000000:1

Canon U.S.A., Inc.

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Canon U.S.A., Inc. 

Sep 05, 2019, 09:05 ET

MELVILLE, N.Y., Sept. 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the launch of the DP-V3120, a new 31-inch professional 4K reference display that possesses an industry-leading* edge-to-edge luminance of up to 2,000 cd/m2 and a black level of 0.001 cd/m2. This combination creates a contrast ratio of an astounding 2000000:1**. When combined with the benefits of Canon's award-winning HDR Toolkit, this display delivers a powerful combination of features and utilities for high-end HDR and 4K production workflows.

"HDR content is the latest frontier in creating television and movies that more closely resemble the look and feel of the world around us," said Kazuto Ogawa, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. "With the new DP-V3120 4K Reference Display, Canon is equipping postproduction houses with the high brightness, rich black levels and high contrast ratio which helps properly monitor and develop video with high dynamic range. Together with the built-in suite of utilities that comprise our HDR Toolkit, we have created the proverbial total package for HDR production."

The DP-V3120 features a display engine, improved local dimming algorithm and LED backlighting system designed by Canon and an IPS LCD panel. The color reproduction, high resolution and high contrast featured on the display enable accurate checking of content captured in 4K and/or HDR.

The DP-V3120 exceeds the Dolby Vision™ required monitor specifications*** including General Monitor Specifications and Grey Scale Reproduction to meet the requirement of Dolby Vision™ certified post-production facilities. With this achievement, Canon further proves its ability to support the efficient production of high-quality visual content and meet the various needs of content production workflows.

The display also features 12G-SDI terminals (four IN and four OUT) to enable simultaneous comparing of HDR and SDR content in dual view mode, multiple video inputs in quad view mode, or up to an 8K input signal. Other functions include the HDR Toolkit, featuring HDR capable vectorscope, waveform monitor and histogram. False color analysis, pixel level value checking and split screen HDR versus SDR comparison are also possible. In addition, the DP-V3120's LAN interface allows the display to be controlled remotely over a network using a web browser.

Pricing and Availability

The DP-V3120 is currently scheduled to be available in November for an estimated retail price of $39,000****. For more information, please visit, usa.canon.com/provideo.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions to the United States and to Latin America and the Caribbean markets. With approximately $36 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE: CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents granted in 2018† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies in 2018. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA.

†Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.

*Among 4K professional reference displays based on Canon research as of September 5th, 2019.

**Contrast of 2000000:1 achieved using a 4K (4096 x 2160 pixel) LCD panel, maximum white luminance of 2000 cd/m2, black luminance of 0.001 cd/m2. Based on a Canon survey. Additionally, luminance values are factory default standards and are not guaranteed.

*** Based on "Dolby Vision™ Certified Mastering Facilities Colorgrading Systems and Monitors Version 1.3" (published in September 2019) required specifications for video production workflows promoted by Dolby Laboratories, Inc.

**** Specifications, availability and prices are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.

SOURCE Canon U.S.A., Inc.

52 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Seems kinda cheap now, dunnit? 

https://www.apple.com/nz/pro-display-xdr/

The monitor itself does (and always did IMO). That stand is still a laughing stock though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

And you thought the apple XDR display was expensive.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

In its defense, it's a reference monitor used by Hollywood filmmaking, not like any mortal would have a chance to buy it or any use for it

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

12 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Dumb question, why not make an LCD but use OLED (at the same res) just for the backlight? you would get per pixel backlighting without burn in right?

edit: OLED can turn off each pixel so why would you have an LCD 

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

edit: OLED can turn off each pixel so why would you have an LCD 

for burn in. LCD's have it on much less a extent and you could only have white oleds.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

17 minutes ago, will4623 said:

for burn in. LCD's have it on much less a extent and you could only have white oleds.

isnt that basically quantum dot

13 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Dumb question, why not make an LCD but use OLED (at the same res) just for the backlight? you would get per pixel backlighting without burn in right?

Long term brightness uniformity and color quality is probably (read: is almost guaranteed to be) the top reason.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

OLED cells wear out and can't produce the amount of brightness needed for HDR

The higher light emission you make them produce, the faster they'll wear out.

Also, I think there's a limit of power per surface area when it comes to OLEDs .... see one of the LTT videos with an OLED monitor... I think they had to reduce brightness when there was too much white in an area, to reduce wear on the organic material.

LCD is practically transparent, there needs to be a backlight for you to see stuff... the backlight relies on a reflective surface on the back of the glass and some filters which spread light produced by lots of point sources (leds) into big matte white light, making the backlight more even. That's with leds placed on the edges of the lcd panel.

On newer LCD monitors and TVs you have the leds spread across the whole surface of the panel (back side) and arranged into zones (hence the 192, 384, 512 zones etc etc) which can be controlled separately by the backlight controller.

With high HDR values like let's say over 600  (the monitor above says it can do 2000) there's a real problem with the amount of heat produced by so many leds to create the bright light

So being a reference monitor, with HDR 2000 (which probably implies the monitor needs 200+ watts to work btw), proper calibration ... I can sort of understand the price.

14 hours ago, TrigrH said:

As fliiberdipper suggested, probably long-term performance.  OLEDs are great for TVs and mobile screens that are only sometimes on and don't usually need to get very bright.  Imagine a pro video editor having to crank up the brightness for HDR video editing, and then leaving the OLED at that level for hours per day, several weeks at a time.  You'd diminish the performance within a few years at best.

47 minutes ago, Commodus said:

As fliiberdipper suggested, probably long-term performance.  OLEDs are great for TVs and mobile screens that are only sometimes on and don't usually need to get very bright.  Imagine a pro video editor having to crank up the brightness for HDR video editing, and then leaving the OLED at that level for hours per day, several weeks at a time.  You'd diminish the performance within a few years at best.

This and then there is still the quiet argumentation between OLED and "normal" pixel image as in OLED pixels which produce their own light produce more rounded "pixels" vs. LCD which has crisp rectangular pixels (like if you look at some dim flashlight the light it produces is round halo but if you put paper on it and that paper has grid drawn to it that grid will be illuminated and crisp and colors in that grid won't mix together). Similar to the halo effect with area dimmed HDR TVs/monitors.

On 9/5/2019 at 11:59 PM, Belgarathian said:

Seems kinda cheap now, dunnit? 

https://www.apple.com/nz/pro-display-xdr/

On 9/6/2019 at 1:54 AM, williamcll said:

Considering the XDR only reaches 1600 nits PEAK and only HALF of the sustained brightness at 1000 nits, and HALF the contrast ratio. Yea seems expensive still. This is a different beast and validated to standards that would make apple's engineers seem like children. Look at the inputs and features the canon supports vs this overpriced piece of junk. I dont even see dolby vision MENTIONED on the XDR page, and lets not forget the stand meme. Because really the monitor costs $1k more than list price. BTW this is at least a TWELVE bit panel, as that is required for Dolby Vision and this panel exceeds all requirements.

To compare this and say "wow look what a deal" is like looking a GTX Geforce card and thinking that's a deal because the quadro costs more.

Spoiler

image.png.c33574b3611fb0dd351fac5a03c0b6e4.png

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

37 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Considering the XDR only reaches 1600 nits PEAK and only HALF of the sustained brightness at 1000 nits, and HALF the contrast ratio. Yea seems expensive still. This is a different beast and validated to standards that would make apple's engineers seem like children. Look at the inputs and features the canon supports vs this overpriced piece of junk. I dont even see dolby vision MENTIONED on the XDR page, and lets not forget the stand meme. Because really the monitor costs $1k more than list price. BTW this is at least a TWELVE bit panel, as that is required for Dolby Vision and this panel exceeds all requirements.

To compare this and say "wow look what a deal" is like looking a GTX Geforce card and thinking that's a deal because the quadro costs more.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.c33574b3611fb0dd351fac5a03c0b6e4.png

The Pro Display XDR is also what, 6 times cheaper with the thousand-dollar stand?

So... Still not a bad price, especially for creators who don't need the absolute best display in the industry but still want one that's pretty damn good.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, williamcll said:

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:46 AM, SeraphicWings said:

In its defense, it's a reference monitor used by Hollywood filmmaking, not like any mortal would have a chance to buy it or any use for it

If I could afford one, I get an XDR monitor and use it with my Windows machine. Or can I?

12 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

The Pro Display XDR is also what, 6 times cheaper with the thousand-dollar stand?

So... Still not a bad price, especially for creators who don't need the absolute best display in the industry but still want one that's pretty damn good.

I would say still a bad price, you can spend less for a monitor with similar specs I'm pretty sure, maybe just not 6K because only apple tries meme resolutions like that.

Something like an Asus Pro Art is cheaper with effectively the same quality. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1485224-REG/asus_32_proart_pa32ucx_4k.html

Oh and this one supports Dolby Vision lul

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

14 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

I would say still a bad price, you can spend less for a monitor with similar specs I'm pretty sure, maybe just not 6K because only apple tries meme resolutions like that.

Something like an Asus Pro Art is cheaper with effectively the same quality. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1485224-REG/asus_32_proart_pa32ucx_4k.html

Oh and this one supports Dolby Vision lul

What's wrong with 6K? You can see a preview of a 4K clip at native resolution while keeping your editing tools on screen.  And until 8K screens are more practical, it's better for previewing anything greater than 4K.

I'm also not convinced ASUS' screen is uniformly better even if you discount resoluion.  It has more local dimming zones, but it also doesn't get as bright and isn't a great fit if you need more than two Thunderbolt 3/USB-C connectors.

42 minutes ago, Commodus said:

What's wrong with 6K? You can see a preview of a 4K clip at native resolution while keeping your editing tools on screen.  And until 8K screens are more practical, it's better for previewing anything greater than 4K.

I'm also not convinced ASUS' screen is uniformly better even if you discount resoluion.  It has more local dimming zones, but it also doesn't get as bright and isn't a great fit if you need more than two Thunderbolt 3/USB-C connectors.

I didnt say better I said effectively the same quality for cheaper.

Nothing "wrong" with 6K but it's a meme resolution for sure, thunderbolt daisy chains, why do you need more than 2?

43 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

I didnt say better I said effectively the same quality for cheaper.

Nothing "wrong" with 6K but it's a meme resolution for sure, thunderbolt daisy chains, why do you need more than 2?

I can think of a few reasons for more than two Thunderbolt 3 ports.  For one, if you have a daisy-chained multi-monitor setup and still want peripherals attached to your monitor, like external drives.  This is also helpful if you're using your monitor as a dock -- helpful if you use a laptop in a production environment or just want the freedom to swap systems without reconnecting all your peripherals.  It just seems odd that ASUS would make a $4,000 pro display that can't really serve as a peripheral hub.

I'll take 3!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

On 9/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, Results45 said:

If I could afford one, I get an XDR monitor and use it with my Windows machine. Or can I?

Sure, if Windows can even display its native resolution, fully and correctly

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar