Ice Lake Details Released

gutz00

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14664/testing-intel-ice-lake-10nm

Intels Next Gen Processors code named Ice Lake have been benchmarked. 

Do you think they can compete with third gen Ryzen?

Personally I don't think they can. It's great to see Intel hit 10nm but we see a dip in Base Frequency. Personally not a trade off I'd like to see. 

1 minute ago, gutz00 said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14664/testing-intel-ice-lake-10nm

Intels Next Gen Processors code named Ice Lake have been benchmarked. 

Personally I don't think they can. It's great to see Intel hit 10nm but we see a dip in Base Frequency. Personally not a trade off I'd like to see. 

Intel chips always were good overclockers except 6800K f that chip.

Also, jump from 14nm to 10nm will increase IPC and lower clock speed shouldn't impact it much. 

IPC improvements will help.

Also, don't forget these are really low TDP chips, I imagine something what could be next gen 9900K will have higher clock speed, maybe even 4.5Ghz or so?

Then you OC on top.

Looking forward to see what they will release and learn on their mistakes by not releasing early.

Also I expect lower TDP, (or they will make it higher to boost clocks).

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

All I care about is integrated Thunderbolt and the much improved Iris Graphics. These should bring a big performance improvement to the 13” MacBook Pros, especially in regards to eGPU performance since there won’t be a latency penalty. 

The T2 chip already can do a lot of what Intel added to these chips, like HEVC encode/decode, but the T2 can’t do d*ck to improve underwhelming graphics performance. 

Hoping that we see a refresh of the Mac with these CPUs in September. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I'll wait for more tests before commenting on how it performs compared to anything else, however this does seem to suggest that 10nm for Intel isn't the sinking ship people are making out.  But then I have said before you can never guess what Intel will do next or bring to the table, so no one should be surprised eitherway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 minutes ago, gutz00 said:

Lets go back to 90nm pentium 4 then. 

31 minutes ago, gutz00 said:

Yes from an architecture point of view, but the problem is that desktop parts based on this are not on the radar. After mobile they said they will do server, which I guess could include a dotted line to HEDT (generation after rumoured Cascade Lake as next HEDT). Mainstream desktop versions could be a long way off.

31 minutes ago, gutz00 said:

As others have said, Intel are targeting power limited mobile parts first. We don't know how they do on the top end without that constraint.

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'll wait for more tests before commenting on how it performs compared to anything else, however this does seem to suggest that 10nm for Intel isn't the sinking ship people are making out.  But then I have said before you can never guess what Intel will do next or bring to the table, so no one should be surprised eitherway.

The architecture improvement claims started around their architecture day earlier in the year. The difference now is, we have some benchmarks run by persons outside Intel confirming that to an extent, even if hardware was under Intel control (pre-release, not everything is representative yet) and the testers only had limited time.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, porina said:

even if hardware was under Intel control (pre-release, not everything is representative yet) and the testers only had limited time.

Hence why I'll wait for more testing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

27 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

wow, a pc tech strawman

dont see that too often

very different hardware, very different technologies at the time

clock speeds mattered way more then than they do now

lower wattage, high effeciency, high core count cpus to more adequately compete with ryzens midranged options would be great for the market

not to mention beneficial for the laptop market

this isn't the first time I thought that /s wasn't necessary 

Barely beating out Whiskey Lake on a new arch with faster memory under an extremely controlled test environment isn't really a great sign. That said, until we actually have shipping product for trustworthy reviewers to look at on their own time, this data is largely irrelevant. 

The real question to me is what they mean by "shipping this year". Do they mean mass production in every major high end laptop for the holidays, or are they going to pull another Cannonlake and push it into one SKU in one market just to say "see, I told you we'd ship it". 

Edit: I'm actually curious how the IPC stacks up against Zen 2. I'd be pretty funny if we wind up in a situation where both have near identical IPC and clockspeed. What will the fanboys argue about then? 

16 minutes ago, Waffles13 said:

What will the fanboys argue about then? 

Seeing as the yields on 10nm still suck royally? Cores.

Just now, ravenshrike said:

Seeing as the yields on 10nm still suck royally? Cores.

That last line was /s. 

You and I both know that they'll argue about the color of the packaging if that's all they're given to work with. 

Umm cool i guess. But why would anyone, who already own a Whiskey lake laptop, upgrade to an Ice Lake laptop? The performance uplift is nearly meaningless.

I am curious if this is truly the best they can do, or if they are trying to pull the same shit they did for nearly a full decade beginning with the Core-i, where performance year over year was pathetic.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

These are about all they can yield on the node and they're looking at nearly a 1 Ghz clock regression. If it's not a AVX load, it's pretty much clock for clock the same as the advanced Skylake parts. And most of that improvement seems to be from moving from 2133 to 3733 memory. (Benefit probably taps out around 3000 memory.)

Beyond yields being horrible, the node is a massive clock regression and the AVX units burn way too much power. The only real value for these parts are the fact the iGPU has finally been upgraded. They'll work, but 10nm is still a disaster. Icelake does seem like it has potential, but no one really is going to see it until maybe Alder Lake.

26 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

but 10nm is still a disaster.

Yer, I'm still going to wait for the dust to settle on all this before I start making calls.

56 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yer, I'm still going to wait for the dust to settle on all this before I start making calls.

Icelake doesn't seem like much interesting, but the iGPU + updated encoders seems like it'll be the key feature. Intel stuffs enough creature features on their products that those should be enough to at least look nice. Volume will still be in 14nm parts though.

Might be enough to beat ryzen 3 3200G

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Intel chips always were good overclockers except 6800K f that chip.

Also, jump from 14nm to 10nm will increase IPC and lower clock speed shouldn't impact it much. 

IPC improvements will help.

Also, don't forget these are really low TDP chips, I imagine something what could be next gen 9900K will have higher clock speed, maybe even 4.5Ghz or so?

Then you OC on top.

Looking forward to see what they will release and learn on their mistakes by not releasing early.

Also I expect lower TDP, (or they will make it higher to boost clocks).

Manufacturing process doesn't inherently improve IPC. It gives space to make architectural changes to achieve IPC boost, but without architectural changes you can downsize it to single atom and it wouldn't make it any more efficient per clock.

Intel's still fucked in the desktop market though, unless they pull out massive improvements before mid 2020 AMD's gonna leave them in the dust with Zen 3

8 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

The real question to me is what they mean by "shipping this year". Do they mean mass production in every major high end laptop for the holidays, or are they going to pull another Cannonlake and push it into one SKU in one market just to say "see, I told you we'd ship it". 

The indication is they have volume availability of the CPUs for multiple vendors to sell whatever models they want to. 

Edit: I'm actually curious how the IPC stacks up against Zen 2.

Hard to say without a direct like for like comparison but they should be close for general use. There may remain some specific biases in particular use cases.

I'd be pretty funny if we wind up in a situation where both have near identical IPC and clockspeed. What will the fanboys argue about then? 

Fanboys don't need anything more than mention of a brand to start an argument.

8 hours ago, MMKing said:

Umm cool i guess. But why would anyone, who already own a Whiskey lake laptop, upgrade to an Ice Lake laptop? The performance uplift is nearly meaningless.

Why would anyone upgrade from n-1 gen tech? The vast majority don't. People tend to wait multiple generations until there is a big enough jump to be worth getting.

7 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

Intel's still fucked in the desktop market though, unless they pull out massive improvements before mid 2020 AMD's gonna leave them in the dust with Zen 3

How much uplift are you expecting from Zen 3 over Zen 2? Zen 2 relative to Zen(+) was a fairly big step. I'm not saying don't expect improvements, but I wouldn't expect as big a jump again as low hanging fruit has been picked. I suspect future IPC improvements will be in smaller increments, leaving the main trick of throwing more cores at things. My wish list for future Zen would be unified L3 cache at CCD level (basically ditch CCX and make CCD the smallest logical unit) and un-cripple the CCD write bandwidth. These limitations have been a pain to deal with on Zen 2.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I hope it will support HDMI 2.0 out of box without any adapters

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Manufacturing process doesn't inherently improve IPC. It gives space to make architectural changes to achieve IPC boost, but without architectural changes you can downsize it to single atom and it wouldn't make it any more efficient per clock.

I didn't know we have a CPU manufacturer / maker in here.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

59 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

I didn't know we have a CPU manufacturer in here.

manufacturer?

many companies outsource the manufacturing part for their cpus/chips/etc