Ice Lake Details Released

gutz00
6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Manufacturing process doesn't inherently improve IPC. It gives space to make architectural changes to achieve IPC boost, but without architectural changes you can downsize it to single atom and it wouldn't make it any more efficient per clock.

Not even true. They can get different sputtering and trimming techniques that could decrease loss, timing, or any other factor. As the process matures the performance can increase. As the process matures materials can change as well, they can find defects with a current material or improvements in a new one, different dopants etc. I work in the semiconductor industry, it happens all the time. 

8 minutes ago, jdubya421 said:

Not even true. They can get different sputtering and trimming techniques that could decrease loss, timing, or any other factor. As the process matures the performance can increase. As the process matures materials can change as well, they can find defects with a current material or improvements in a new one, different dopants etc. I work in the semiconductor industry, it happens all the time. 

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The original claim that sparked it off was that a note shrink, by itself, improves IPC. Instructions Per Clock. It just can't. It is a logic level design function. What process may change is that you could get more clock, but that isn't improving IPC.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

58 minutes ago, porina said:

I think there is a misunderstanding here. The original claim that sparked it off was that a note shrink, by itself, improves IPC. Instructions Per Clock. It just can't. It is a logic level design function. What process may change is that you could get more clock, but that isn't improving IPC.

Oh, by "manufacturing process" do you just mean technology size? I.e. the shrink down to 10nm?

28 minutes ago, jdubya421 said:

Oh, by "manufacturing process" do you just mean technology size? I.e. the shrink down to 10nm?

At least in the enthusiast community, yes. Process node. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 hours ago, floofer said:

Lets go back to 90nm pentium 4 then. 

Ah, good old Netburst, back when Intel chased high clocks instead of improved architecture. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

18 hours ago, Genwyn said:

adequately compete with ryzens midranged options would be great for the market

This is what I would like to see - during the great RAM crisis I had to settle for a 2133mhz kit that met my budget at the time.  Ive since replaced it out and have a case, PSU, GPU, RAM just sitting around but I didn't want to build a budget Ryzen because 2133mhz just doesn't play well with it, compared to intel.  Im hoping something cheap, but okay performance comes out of this so I can apply this RAM and spare parts and make a used/new build to sell that can perform decently and not be bottlenecked by that kit.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

12 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Ah, good old Netburst, back when Intel chased high clocks instead of improved architecture. 

Remember those claims how Netburst architecture will be good up to 20GHz I believe? Lol, yeah, it's been 20 years since and we're just going past 5GHz now (if we exclude Bulldozers).

39 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I don't blame them though. Historically high clock speeds do contribute more to performance than architecture improvements alone.

For example, to poke at a benchmark result:

109603.png

Between the i7-9700K and i7-2600K (stock speed), there's about a 70% improvement in a single threaded test. However, a singificant portion of this performance increase is simply because the 2600K runs at 3.8 GHz max turbo while the 9700K runs at 4.9GHz. This should account for around a 29% overall performance improvement. And if you normalize the 9700K to the 2600K speeds, you get a value that's about 31% better. So it took Intel seven generations to achieve 31% better IPC. Although I suppose technically there were only three microarchitectures throughout this period, so I guess technically, it only took three generations to achieve 31% better IPC. And looking back at various reviews of older processors, when normalized, jumps between generations tends to be about 10%-15% better IPC.

As another point of interest, the Pentium III had a 500 MHz model. Not even a year later, the same implementation had a 1GHz model.

Processors that we use in general purpose computers really spend more time trying to rearrange instructions in such a way that makes the most efficient use of a simple execution engine. And there's only so much reshuffling of instructions you can do before it takes more effort to do than it's worth.

22 hours ago, gutz00 said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14664/testing-intel-ice-lake-10nm

Intels Next Gen Processors code named Ice Lake have been benchmarked. 

Do you think they can compete with third gen Ryzen?

This is the laptop line up, is it not?  So it's not competing with third gen Ryzen, only Zen+, and fo that reason I think this just might be a segment where they still have a chance until zen 2 chips make it into laptops, bit as for everything else they've already lost.  Server cares about security, efficiency, and multicore performance, which they've destroyed intel in (all while being significantly cheaper too).  Desktops care about high single threaded performance with good multithreaded to back it up, and they've accomplished that as well, again, while consuming much less power.  I personally don't see how intel can possibly come back at them.  If they don't node shrink, they won't improve.  If they do, they'll probably lose clock speed, or best case, keep it the same, and that's assuming they keep core count the same, which they really can't afford to do since AMD now has them beat significantly in that department.  If they increase core count, they'll definitely lose clock speed, increase power consumption even more, and also cost, and it'll be a laughing stock.

22 hours ago, gutz00 said:

Personally I don't think they can. It's great to see Intel hit 10nm but we see a dip in Base Frequency. Personally not a trade off I'd like to see. 

Yeah

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.