Is Linus unaware of what content type works?

BleachedFur
4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

@LinusTech Hire this man. He has clearly cracked the YouTube "code". Hurry before Jay or Paul catch wind of his business acumen.

The new CMO for both LMG and FP, I mean come on, he knows what 14 year olds want. 

OK... Here we go.

"Gaming at 8K 60fps - 2 million views after 3 days"

• I watched this but wasn't that bothered.

"BMW's Crazy Surprise - still less than 1 million views after 3 days"

• I watched this, it was more interesting than the other for me.

"News flash Linus, your viewers don't give two flying fucks about BMW"

• Two of my last 3 cars would disagree with you.

"90% of your viewers are 14 year olds with craptops and fantasies about quad titan SLI"

• Then they need to learn their tech then, as who wants to fantasise about pre-Turing Titans (yes, I'm being facetious here, in case you aren't picking up on it). I will agree that judging solely from the absolute winners that comment on any Youtube video, there are a lot of them who are 14. I would imagine the average is closer to high teens/low twenties in reality, however.

"Your viewers also don't give two shits if BMW sponsored your video"

• Maybe not, but they still have to say it, if it is a sponsored video.

"I'll bet you my $3800 dual socket workstation that not a single person who watched that video thought "Hm, I should buy a BMW!"."

• You should probably start sending him that workstation. My next car will likely be another BMW, as the A6 I have currently is awful compared to either of my 5 series that were several years older. I mean, the video didn't sway me that way, but it did remind me how much I don't like my current car... :)

When I was 14, I loved BMW and cars, right now I don't really care and haven't seen that video, autonomous cars are cool so going to see it now that I read about it.

I love how OP thinks that views and likes are the only things that make a video successful. As mentioned in another comment, BMW probably paid LMG multiple times what they earned in ad revenue from the 8K 60FPS video. If you don't like the video, don't watch it. It's as simple as that. I bet that if you had a multiple-million subscriber YouTube channel that is probably your only source of revenue, you would also choose a short and sweet sponsored video where you just read off a script rather than an original idea that takes time to plan, write, film, and edit, only to earn less money than a sponsored video.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

I'll bet you my $3800 dual socket workstation that not a single person who watched that video thought "Hm, I should buy a BMW!".

I thought that.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

10 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

I'll bet you my $3800 dual socket workstation that not a single person who watched that video thought "Hm, I should buy a BMW!".

I actually was thinking about buying one of their cars, and their bikes are also really nice.

I don't know if you already knew this or not, but Linus is into bikes and he actually owns one (that's if he didn't sell it), so it's not really out of place.

Go tell Jayztwocents that people don't watch his channel for his car videos, seeing as you know what people want.

11 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

I wasn't thinking of buying a BMW, although because of the reliability concerns BMW is well known for. However the different stuff LTT does videos of is interesting to watch in my opinion, and if you don't like it you don't have to watch them.

i sense a little hostility there.

that bmw video was about tech and not meant to encourage viewers to buy a bmw. 

but i get it i also miss the old days sometimes but linus as everyone does is getting older and interests shift. hes trying to diversify and find new cool tech topics to cover. if you want strictly compensator build videos im sure theres enough channels out there that give you that. 

also in general i dont get how so many people think they get a say in what content someone should produce. just recently weve had people trying to suggest what videos to make and even what staff to put on or not. if you guys want to run his company then  make him an offer and see what happens.

if you dont like a video. then dont watch it. very simple. i for example have sadly found myself barely wathcing the wan show anymore cause they mostly ramble about personal stuff and ltx and floatplane progress. while thats all fine and good its just not real interesting to me. i also watch tech linked very sporadically. but luckily enough they do a great job on there titling the video so i can just select the ones im interested in. also notebook reviews. god damn notebook reviews. ive never been a big notebook guy mainly because you pay extra for less performance in favour of mobility and then cant even upgrde it. its just not my thing.

but you know what i do with all these videos that i dont like? i dont watch them. instead of throwing a tantrum like a kid

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

12 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

According to metrics:

two videos is hardly enough to draw any kind of conclusion about what the viewers want.

it's clear you don't have an issue with the video it's self, you have an issue that it was a BMW sponsored video. Did a BMW steal your girl or something?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Did a BMW steal your girl or something?

Please don't remind him.. he needs time to heal. /s

I don’t care about BMW either, the maintenance costs are way too high.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I am not bothered by the BMW video nor any other sponsored video as long as the rest of the content is ok. What i do miss these days is something about X570 boards. Not only here but in general. People already disassemble the 5700 and watercool it. But the mainpart of a PC get´s no attention. Not anywhere. As a customer you have to rely on other customers experience. Seeing that videos about cars while there is a whole new level of hardware out there does leave a little bit of a bad taste. But that´s not exclusive to this channel.

19 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

had people trying to suggest what videos to make and even what staff to put on or not.

Uhm.. They do encourage people to tell them what kinds of things they'd like to see...in the comments of videos and places here on the forum.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

12 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Uhm.. They do encourage people to tell them what kinds of things they'd like to see...in the comments of videos and places here on the forum.

yes but first theres a specific thread for that and secondly theres no need to be a dick about it. how about "hey, this would be awesome to see" not "heres all the things linus does wrong and how hes ruining the company" 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

How about that:

LTT is a business run by LMG. LMG needs to make money in order to pay everyone involced. BMW will have payed them good to have them come to Germany and do a piece on their stuff. 

Am I interested in that? No, not one bit.
Do I care if LInus is interested? No, tbh.
Do I care about LMG being up and running to create content of which I can enjoy like 80%? Yes, yes I do.

The OP of this thread cleary doesn't understand how businesses and escpecially content creator businesses work. 

I do like those videos more than seeing another "hey we've build a new gaming rig" video every week. How to build a PC does not change. To see someone building his 10000 PC gets boring.

I think diverse topics keep them up and running and I would like to see more factory tours, more new non-gaming focused technology, and more scientific related videos.  For example: the cyclotron video was really interesting

BMW vid was sponsered.

Think of it as them shilling for bmw, not them making a video for views.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

Leave the poor OP alone, if he wants to be a 14 year old with a craptop wanking off over titan sli videos then that's his sticky jam.    The only thing he didn't do was provide enough reasoning for Linus to keep catering to his 14 year old needs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

Leave the poor OP alone, if he wants to be a 14 year old with a craptop wanking off over titan sli videos then that's his sticky jam.    The only thing he didn't do was provide enough reasoning for Linus to keep catering to his 14 year old needs.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I have to point out a few things

I'm well over 20 years old

I have SLI 1070s and SLI Tesla C2050s

I'm paying off a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

19 hours ago, Lewubro said:

The OP of this thread cleary doesn't understand how businesses and escpecially content creator businesses work. 

Or do I? I am a YouTuber as well and run a very successful channel on top of my personal channel (about 1 million subs for the big one) and once a month I do a suggested video. I trim my content to what the viewers want. I NEVER do sponsored videos despite my numerous offers.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

Listen: If you can get a company to sponsor you, and a filming crew, for a flight from Vancouver to Munich, do a review and get to experience autonomous cars, then a flight back, you are a winner in my books. 

12 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

You certainly fit the bill for someone who buys a Porsche Cayenne lol. 

31 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

It seems like you have something against BMW's then,the point of the video is autonomous driving tech not BMW.  As for not taking offers on sponsored videos IMO it isn't a bad thing if a company sees a Youtube channel as successful enough for their name to be on it.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

t seems like you have something against BMW's then,the point of the video is autonomous driving tech not BMW. 

I don't. My teenhood dream car was the 2002 BMW 540i V8.

41 minutes ago, Cypher-Jackson said:

Theres a reason that Linus has millions of subscribers and OP does not

you literally did not read any of my responses. I run two YouTube channels, my personal channel which has 640 subs and my corporate channel which has over 1 million, which I'm also not going to link here because of trolls.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.