iPOD nears exitinction

iamjsed

Everybody has phones now. Even kids in primary school..

Hey! I am part of the .0001 percent of no one that does not have a phone.

Mm. Depends how you set it up I'd guess.

And there are some absolutely tiny, yet impressively powerful portable amps nowadays. Still thinking of getting one for my Note II - damn European regulations resulted in it being ridiculously quiet. :(

it's more than likely that there is a software exploit for that, go look it up on xda

Mm. Depends how you set it up I'd guess.

And there are some absolutely tiny, yet impressively powerful portable amps nowadays. Still thinking of getting one for my Note II - damn European regulations resulted in it being ridiculously quiet. :(

I would bring my bag wherever I go and the extra device in there isn't going to make my day any more strenuous. They still are pretty expensive for things like the Fiio e7

it's more than likely that there is a software exploit for that, go look it up on xda

Already did. There are software exploits, but it's pretty unclear how they function and whether or not they actually help. Half the people say 'Yay it worked' the other half say 'Distortions galore, not much volume gain' - I'm gonna try it out and see though before I buy a portable amp.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Already did. There are software exploits, but it's pretty unclear how they function and whether or not they actually help. Half the people say 'Yay it worked' the other half say 'Distortions galore, not much volume gain' - I'm gonna try it out and see though before I buy a portable amp.

you realize that xda, while it might have intellegent people, it also has a community of dimwits as well who don't know what they are doing when they flash these things. Regardless, I hope I can help with the situation at a later date (doing homework yo)

I had a iPod 4g back when it came out. Jailbroke it, enjoyed it for quite a while. Sold it on eBay like 2 weeks before the next one came out. (Before the prices for it went down :D)

I still use a crummy dumbphone with my Nexus 7. (Really want a smartphone, my parents just don't want to fork $30 bucks a month over to Verizon for 2GBs of data a month.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

you realize that xda, while it might have intellegent people, it also has a community of dimwits as well who don't know what they are doing when they flash these things. Regardless, I hope I can help with the situation at a later date (doing homework yo)

Quite aware of that yeah. :P

I tend to ignore anything that's not been well established. The 'fix' I'm referencing is the most established one which is pretty well known.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

dude, the 1st gen iPod was magical... (what I'm saying now is not really related to the topic here but it's about iPod anyways)

That thing was like a tank. You could drop it and smash it into floor and it wouldn't break unlike *cough every other Apple mobile product *cough

At first, the things it could do were UNPRECEDENTED. Even a few years later when it got "outdated", jailbreaking it opened up a whole new world...

Aaaaaaannd I lost it in a cab but the moral is! that iPods used to be magical.

I don't have a phone. I cant' afford over 100$ per month, or pay the phone full price.

And MP3 player allows a month without charging. A smart phone needs to be charged every day.

As a person who has carried an iPod classic 120 GB along with my phone for a number of years I can quite comfortably say that there are many benefits to having a dedicated music player. These include:

1. The ability to have more than 64 GB of music and podcast in my pocket for considerably less money than a 64 GB phone.

2. The ability to skip to the next song by pressing dedicated buttons on the device through trousers without having to take the device out of my pocket.(especially useful during the winter time.)

3. Considerably longer battery life on my iPod classic than my phone (in the order of 48+ hours of constant music and or podcast play time between charges due to the fact that the device does not have to power a massive power hungry screen or mobile antenna and data transmission/reception.

I still love my iPod classic and honestly find the whole streaming thing a waste of time since I don't own the music I'm streaming and constantly require an internet connection for streaming. An example of this was when I was backpacking for 4 days in the Norwegian wilderness with no mobile data connection at all and no power outlets. My iPod lasted almost the whole trip and deffinately helped keep me going when I had my favorite songs and or podcasts to listen to.

As a person who has carried an iPod classic 120 GB along with my phone for a number of years I can quite comfortably say that there are many benefits to having a dedicated music player. These include:

1. The ability to have more than 64 GB of music and podcast in my pocket for considerably less money than a 64 GB phone.

2. The ability to skip to the next song by pressing dedicated buttons on the device through trousers without having to take the device out of my pocket.(especially useful during the winter time.)

3. Considerably longer battery life on my iPod classic than my phone (in the order of 48+ hours of constant music and or podcast play time between charges due to the fact that the device does not have to power a massive power hungry screen or mobile antenna and data transmission/reception.

I still love my iPod classic and honestly find the whole streaming thing a waste of time since I don't own the music I'm streaming and constantly require an internet connection for streaming. An example of this was when I was backpacking for 4 days in the Norwegian wilderness with no mobile data connection at all and no power outlets. My iPod lasted almost the whole trip and deffinately helped keep me going when I had my favorite songs and or podcasts to listen to.

1. I think thats the reason why streaming services like spotify was made, so we don't need to worry about storing our music files.

2. There are headphones / earphones that has dedicated media controls.

3. I think this is a valid argument, although you can replace the iPOD with powerbanks which are getting popular these days.

I agee that iPODs has served its purpose and its time for them to rest.

GAMINGCLICHE: Core i5 6500 - Gigabyte H170N-WiFi - Deepcool Gabriel - 16GB HyperX Fury - Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC - NZXT Manta

ORANGEJULIUS-720p: Core i3-3230 - Noctua 9UB-SE2 - Gigabyte B75N-itx - 8gb GSkill Ares - GTX 650Ti - Bitfenix Prodigy (RETIRED)

1. I think thats the reason why streaming services like spotify was made, so we don't need to worry about storing our music files.

No. It's because most music that most people listen to, stop listening to them after a while. So subscription music model is getting popularity.

Streaming is not working, as you need those super duper expensive data plans. What works is unlimited downloads without restriction (in the sense of having playlists or other limitation. Not talking about DRM), which XBox Music offers, and the industry such as Spotify is now trying to offer.

2. There are headphones / earphones that has dedicated media controls.

Minimal control. An MP3 player can allow you to access the device even with gloves on, without struggling.

3. I think this is a valid argument, although you can replace the iPOD with powerbanks which are getting popular these days.

I guess so, but those are heavier, harder to carry when attached, and can break the device power plug.

But I want a modified ipod classic that has a ssd and a larger screen and smaller scroll wheel *cries*

Everyone is focusing on the ipod touch and yeah thats kinda useless nowadays but, talking as an ipod classic 160gb owner, i would never ever stop using it and i fear the day it stops working. First, I would never fit all my music in a 64gb phone and lets face it, they are really expensive and even if 128gb ones come out they will be even more expensive. Second, its the batery life. In the midst of Email, internet, games, calls and texting, i also listen to atleast 3hours of music per day sometimes even more so my phone would be dead before the day ended.

in my honest opinion, all the ipod should be terminated ( cause they all have small capacity and the average smartphone does all the functions and more) except the classic. But yeah its still a niche and we all know that money talks louder...

Not surprising. Nearly everybody has a smartphone now a days, which does the same thing as an iPod, if not better. I honestly see no need for an iPod or any MP3 playing devices with smartphones practically everywhere, and if you don't have one, there are really cheap ones that you can buy.

Unless you want good audio. Me and many people want good audio on the go so you need to buy a portable MP3 Player. There are no smart phones that have good audio so this is a problem. You can buy portable AMP and DAC's but they are bulky and require you to stick it to you phone with velcro or something so lesson the clutter. It is and always will be the best option to just buy a good MP3 player. Fiio X3 is good.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

To be honest, considering the high-quality DACs which exist in the majority of smartphones nowadays that's not as true as it used to be. The MP3 players with higher quality DACs are few and far between and usually quite expensive for a device that only has one purpose. It's usually a better and cheaper option to just get a portable amp for your phone than it is to buy an MP3 player with a sufficiently powerful one built-in.

Try and run any high impedance headphones on a smartphone. My 558's don't even run that well on a smartphone. It is easier and more portable to just have a good MP3 player in you top pocket. Less clutter then having to buy an external AMP for your phone which won't improve the audio components in your phone. Fiio X3 is probably a good choice. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Good to see they're finally coming to an end. They'll still be used in the auto industry though seeing as most car manufacturers are using integrated head-units nowadays and after market solutions always have ipod integration. It's so much easier to navigate through all the music using an ipod rather than a cd or usb stick. I bought a refurbished gen 4 ipod just for my car, I've got a Note 2 but don't always bring it with me.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

My 30gb iPod video is still alive and kicking. I use it as a backup of all my music and to play over my home theater. But they had their day in the sun and were a game changer when they came out. I assume the iPod touch will keep on being made, but the more classic iPod is a dieing breed.

Well I think Ipods are for kids who's parents don't quite want them to have a Phone yet

get an ipad...

Op i think apple should scrap the ipod thing and make a car head unit instead.

There go the days Apple put actual good audio components. On my iPod I don't have to turn up that much, but on the iPhone I do. Don't get me started on my Nexus...

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I have two iPods:

an iPad nano for working out

an iPad Classic for large music storage for long distances.

Each has it's use. 

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I wish there was an android equivalent that had at least 64GB/128GB of storage, purely as a music player.

thats one thing that android doesnt have.

if the ipod goes away, thats a sad day indeed, until there is another equivalent, either android/windows with high capacity storage.

for that matter, is there a windows/android device equivalent????

Looking for a job