iPOD nears exitinction

iamjsed

It was decently fast enough when it came out, but now as with all apple products (or android products as well really), it's horribly slow... (think about it, it has worse specs than an iphone 4!)

And likely on average its being used for far far les things than a iPone 4.

And likely on average its being used for far far les things than a iPone 4.

why would it be? the apps are the same etc... it's not like phone calls and texting is particularly demanding.. Anyways I got rid of those ipod touches and now have an ipad 3, but the problems are starting to show again... the damn thing is slow ever since it updated to ios 7. 

and inb4 android, because I actually got the ipad 3 from work and am not allowed to sell it obviously. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

why would it be? the apps are the same etc... it's not like phone calls and texting is particularly demanding.. Anyways I got rid of those ipod touches and now have an ipad 3, but the problems are starting to show again... the damn thing is slow ever since it updated to ios 7. 

and inb4 android, because I actually got the ipad 3 from work and am not allowed to sell it obviously.

That would likely because Apple didnt optimize iOS 7 for the iPad 3 as best they probably could have or at all. This likely is what probably happen on the iPod Touch as well. Think about it like this even though it is a extreme take a PC from when Xpp launched and install a new OS say 7 on it itll be doggin it. I was going too use Vista but iits hardware requirem,ents were unnecessarily high and 7 actually uses less resources usually. This may be something apple is purposely doing to get people to buy their new devices who knows.

That would likely because Apple didnt optimize iOS 7 for the iPad 3 as best they probably could have or at all. This likely is what probably happen on the iPod Touch as well. Think about it like this even though it is a extreme take a PC from when Xpp launched and install a new OS say 7 on it itll be doggin it. I was going too use Vista but iits hardware requirem,ents were unnecessarily high and 7 actually uses less resources usually. This may be something apple is purposely doing to get people to buy their new devices who knows.

yep I do think it's purposeful. I'm not the only one who complains about devices becoming slower after a new ios update. 

It's funny (and great actually!) that Windows 8, released 10 years after XP will actually make XP era computers faster...

yep I do think it's purposeful. I'm not the only one who complains about devices becoming slower after a new ios update. 

It's funny (and great actually!) that Windows 8, released 10 years after XP will actually make XP era computers faster...

Well yea I know that but thats no necessarily due to the hardware.

How is Xp becoming faster because of win8? Also the only reason winXP is fast now is because of the super over powered hardware that XP cant even fully utilize which people have bee using on it for many years.

Well yea I know that but thats no necessarily due to the hardware.

How is Xp becoming faster because of win8? Also the only reason winXP is fast now is because of the super over powered hardware that XP cant even fully utilize which people have bee using on it for many years.

windows 8 uses less resources than xp if i'm not mistaken. As long as your hardware running xp supports it, I do think it's worthwhile.

windows 8 uses less resources than xp if i'm not mistaken. As long as your hardware running xp supports it, I do think it's worthwhile.

Nope its uses considerably more than XP but possibly less than 7 slightly in certain areas but probably more in others.

if they came out with a wifi ipod classic, i would be happy

Why whats the point of WiFi on a iPod Classic?

Why whats the point of WiFi on a iPod Classic?

Sync over wifi, icloud etc, itunes purchases etc

@ thread, not surprised. The last ipod I bought was a shuffle for running. When I switched from my iphone 3gs to a galaxy s3 i had to start using the shuffle for general music listening too, because the s3 was all around rubbish with music - syncing fail, playback fail, control fail (addressed by google play music), headphone port dying fail etc.

Now i've switched back to an iphone 5s I can listen to music on the go properly and can clip my phone into a lifeproof armband when running, so my shuffle is in a drawer somewhere.

@NRG too much data and no reason to have a classic if your using the cloud.

At a point, this was true. However, with the ever-increasing capacities and ever-decreasing prices of Micro SD cards, that's less of an issue nowadays - another thing to keep in mind is how many people use streaming services such as Spotify, Sony's Music Unlimited, Xbox Music etc.

Again, MicroSD support is very quickly disappearing from Android phones (and never has existed on iPhone) so that may not matter. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Again, MicroSD support is very quickly disappearing from Android phones (and never has existed on iPhone) so that may not matter. 

I don't think that's necessarily very true. The majority of Android devices still support Micro SD cards. At this point nowadays any modern medium to high end phone or tablet is expected to have a Micro SD card slot, and when they don't it's rather disappointing.

But, still - streaming services. Micro SD card or not, streaming is undeniably starting to take over in the music industry. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I do have both an iPod and a smart phone and really it's for expanded storage and battery life. I can listen to music in my iPod for over 20 hours (have had to take very long bus trips) yet I had to constantly turn off my phone just so I could have enough charge to call when I arrived.

But I can see how the market for them is way smaller than a couple years ago.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

For someone like me who uses a phone as a grindstone it's nice to have to separate devices. When I'm at the workshop etc I simply leave the Ipod touch at home and keep my old Nokia with me. I had a Ipod touch 4th gen but I managed to break it, the battery was almost dead anyway. I've been thinking of buying a 5th gen at some point. ^_^

Oh and the battery of my Nokia lasts for about 2 weeks even though I ones dropped it and it ''deployed'' in the legendary Nokia fashion. Couldn't find the battery in the dark and decided to use a spare battery until I found it again after half a week battered on the driveway... Still 3/4 of the charge left :D

Until smartphones come out reasonably priced with more than 64GB of storage, I'm sticking with my iPod Classic. I can't even get a whole day out of a smartphone listening to music, surfing the web and communicating with people either. More storage and battery please! 

But, still - streaming services. Micro SD card or not, streaming is undeniably starting to take over in the music industry. :)

Maybe where you live, but here in North America we pay as much as $70 a month for less than 1GB of data on your phone. Streaming isn't really an option unless you're willing to pay $100+ a month.

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2