iPOD nears exitinction

iamjsed

I disagree  I still use a sansa because I find setting up music on my phone to be a pain most of it randomly disappered and the music qaulity is terrible even with power amp. 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Well I think Ipods are for kids who's parents don't quite want them to have a Phone yet

I feel as though people who actually bother to buy iPhones for the money your paying are just better off getting an iPod and Galaxy Note 3.

With all the large screens that are coming out on phones and tablets, the ipod screen to me is small imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i like my ipod nano 6thg for running and other sports where i can't carry my brick of galaxy note easy in my pocket. Whenever i try to run with my note i am afraid to break it.

This type of thing is why i returned my Note 3 after a week. It being so big made me worry about having it in my pocket while at the gym, it was more likely to fall out of my pockets than a smaller phone and it was much more uncomfortable while in my pockets. I wasn't willing to shell out more money for a dedicated music player and was not willing to leave my phone in a locker even with a lock so I just returned it and got a smaller phone.

Haha, have you ever tried to get through a day of heavy use on an Android phone? The last thing I need to do is add the strain of playing music to it as well.

The audio playback is seriously lacking. The Optimus G doesn't even have the power to run my M30's, let alone a higher end set of headphones.

I think ipods will be around for a while. Yeah, they're dropping in sales. So are laptops and PC's. You won't see them disappear. I think their sales are dropping because the market is becoming saturated. I have two ipods, a 5G Classic and a 6G Nano. I've had the Nano for 3ish years, the Classic for almost a decade (slated for replacement by..a 240gb Classic.)

I use the Nano when exercising. It's awesome. It's small and light, and provides pretty good battery life. I'm much more impressed with it than I thought I would be. I wouldn't dream of carrying a phone around with me when exercising.

The 5G holds a good amount of music. You can't do that even with a lot of the Ipod Touchs, let alone a smart phone.

Thell be around for a long time, hell you can still buy blank VHS tapes. I have useed my phone considerably by my terms but I dont know what yours are or what you all do on your phone. I also dont know what you define as drive them well or anything. Any phone should easily be able to drive 32ohm headphones properly and for the vast majority of people is way more convenient than carrying around a additional device. The iPod is dying far quicker than the PC. The mp3 player is basically dead already as a whole the only reason the iPod is holding on is because it has that name.

I personally would love a revised Ipod classic that has a SSD. Another nice change would be a larger screen and small wheel, maybe swap how much of the device the each respectively take up.

Would also like to point out that there is no 240GB classic just the same 160gb that been around since 2008-2009.

With all the large screens that are coming out on phones and tablets, the ipod screen to me is small imo.

Why would I need a bigger screen just for music? Hell I wouldnt mind if they went back to monochrome or even better eink as that so much easier to read in light.

well the only reason I got an ipod was because I was 12 and didn't need a phone. but i seriously did love my ipod 2g and apple fucked up when they released the 5th gen 32 gb and 64 gb with a starting price of 300$ even though they now have a 16 gb version for 229$ they still screwed up launch reminds of when the wii u lauched with no exclusives titles.

well the only reason I got an ipod was because I was 12 and didn't need a phone. but i seriously did love my ipod 2g and apple fucked up when they released the 5th gen 32 gb and 64 gb with a starting price of 300$ even though they now have a 16 gb version for 229$ they still screwed up launch reminds of when the wii u lauched with no exclusives titles.

They know they can get that, thats why they charge it. I still dont really see the point of a iPod touch for the most part. Also when I think iPod thats not what I think of because not its basically a iPhone without the phone app.

Why would I need a bigger screen just for music? Hell I wouldnt mind if they went back to monochrome or even better eink as that so much easier to read in light.

I would agree with you that you don't need a bigger screen for music. I thought they were talking about ipod touches where they can also play videos  since they had an ipod touch as their picture.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

They know they can get that, thats why they charge it. I still dont really see the point of a iPod touch for the most part. Also when I think iPod thats not what I think of because not its basically a iPhone without the phone app.

The only market for ipods now are for 12 year olds that beg there mom and dad for an iphone but than the mom and dad just buys them an ipod because they don't want any monthly data plans and contracts.

I would agree with you that you don't need a bigger screen for music. I thought they were talking about ipod touches where they can also play videos  since they had an ipod touch as their picture.

yep well those shouldnt have really existed in my opinion but hey they made a butt ton of money didnt they.

The only market for ipods now are for 12 year olds that beg there mom and dad for an iphone but than the mom and dad just buys them an ipod because they don't want any monthly data plans and contracts.

get a prepaid smartphone or one without a data plan, it is possibly you just have to look around.

without contract you mean which is over 600$ and when I mean when I say the child wants 

yep well those shouldnt have really existed in my opinion but hey they made a butt ton of money didnt they.

get a prepaid smartphone or one without a data plan, it is possibly you just have to look around.

without contract is over 600$ and when I say their mom and dad buy them an ipod instead of a prepaid phone is because all the child wants to do with an iphone is use instagram, twitter, facebook, ect... and post selfies and than play games on it thats really all they do... oh ya and use imessage which lets you text with other people with iphones, ipods, ipads, and macbooks. 

a prepaid smartphone or one without a data plan, it is possibly you just  have to look around.

without contract you mean which is over 600$ and when I mean when I say the child wants 

without contract is over 600$ and when I say their mom and dad buy them an ipod instead of a prepaid phone is because all the child wants to do with an iphone is use instagram, twitter, facebook, ect... and post selfies and than play games on it thats really all they do... oh ya and use imessage which lets you text with other people with iphones, ipods, ipads, and macbooks. 

a prepaid smartphone or one without a data plan, it is possibly you just  have to look around.

Well no your not going to get a iPhone and you dont necessarily have to be off a phone contract, data is the expensive part. And I do indeed know its possible as I know people who have done it (smartphone with no data plan). A lower end phone, if not even a super low end one, would do just fine as the stuff you just listed above. Truthfully it might be cheaper to go that route since iPod touches arnt cheap. Also do they really need to be constantly doing those things you just listed. I know I have always had a different view on most things than the average person.

To be honest, considering the high-quality DACs which exist in the majority of smartphones nowadays that's not as true as it used to be. The MP3 players with higher quality DACs are few and far between and usually quite expensive for a device that only has one purpose. It's usually a better and cheaper option to just get a portable amp for your phone than it is to buy an MP3 player with a sufficiently powerful one built-in.

Well you also have to consider that phones still only have 8 or 16GB of storage and most are not expandable. (which is stupid as hell smh). Some people need 120GB+ for their music storage needs. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Well you also have to consider that phones still only have 8 or 16GB of storage and most are not expandable. (which is stupid as hell smh). Some people need 120GB+ for their music storage needs.

There are some 32gb phones but many phones can be expanded, I have a 64gb micro SDXC card in my phone. They then wouldn't be the ones getting a iPod touch as though those do come in 128gb I believe, man are they expensive.

ipods could have stayed decently popular if they actually updated them (the way they updated the ipod touch 2 years ago, for example was pathetic... they gave it extremely obsolete specs, and increased the price). Since 2 years ago they haven't changed anything. They also completely ruined the ipod nano by making it touchscreen. 

It's a failure on the part of apple. of course even if they updated them they would still have declining sales, but by releasing a new product (every body knows how much apple products get hyper up), they would have gotten a lot more sales.

It's a real shame that mp3 players are dying out because phone batteries are often not enough so it's great to have a separate device. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

At a point, this was true. However, with the ever-increasing capacities and ever-decreasing prices of Micro SD cards, that's less of an issue nowadays - another thing to keep in mind is how many people use streaming services such as Spotify, Sony's Music Unlimited, Xbox Music etc.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I'm soon going to get back into running and will be buying a ipod most likly, ... I am guessing i will get a nano since its nice and small.

that the only reson i can think that puts a ipod infront of a smartphone

Its all about those volumetric clouds

There are more reasons people buy iPods other than that.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Well no your not going to get a iPhone and you dont necessarily have to be off a phone contract, data is the expensive part. And I do indeed know its possible as I know people who have done it (smartphone with no data plan). A lower end phone, if not even a super low end one, would do just fine as the stuff you just listed above. Truthfully it might be cheaper to go that route since iPod touches arnt cheap. Also do they really need to be constantly doing those things you just listed. I know I have always had a different view on most things than the average person.

actually I'm really excited about the 50$ Motorola phone even though I have an HTC one it would be cool to tinker around with it and not worry about breaking my 600$ smart phone.

I would IMO just buy an older iPod touch 4th gen used in amazon for like 95$ with shipping could  http://www.amazon.com/Apple-touch-Generation-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001FA1O0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391281154&sr=8-2&keywords=ipod+touch+4th+generation   still do a lot more things with the 4th gen than the nano

ipods could have stayed decently popular if they actually updated them (the way they updated the ipod touch 2 years ago, for example was pathetic... they gave it extremely obsolete specs, and increased the price). Since 2 years ago they haven't changed anything. They also completely ruined the ipod nano by making it touchscreen. 

It's a failure on the part of apple. of course even if they updated them they would still have declining sales, but by releasing a new product (every body knows how much apple products get hyper up), they would have gotten a lot more sales.

It's a real shame that mp3 players are dying out because phone batteries are often not enough so it's great to have a separate device.

Most people that buy a iPod Touch dont care 1 little bit about its specs, other than storage, if even that.

Most people that buy a iPod Touch dont care 1 little bit about its specs, other than storage, if even that.

why not? I for one still use a flip phone.. and used to own two ipod touches. And even if specs might not matter to most of the people that buy ipod touches, it does matter when the thing is "laggy as all balls" as Linus says from the beggining because they gave it an outdated cpu, a minuscule amount of ram (I believe it was 256mb or even less) from the very get go. And while most will not look for specs, they will notice their slow ipod. 

why not? I for one still use a flip phone.. and used to own two ipod touches. And even if specs might not matter to most of the people that buy ipod touches, it does matter when the thing is "laggy as all balls" as Linus says from the beggining because they gave it an outdated cpu, a minuscule amount of ram (I believe it was 256mb or even less) from the very get go. And while most will not look for specs, they will notice their slow ipod.

It was up to date enough when it launched and now I believe that it has been relegated to the same place and the iPod Classic, not likely to get another major update, maybe something like what happened between the v5/5.5 and 6. From what I have seen the latest iPod Touch preforms decently well for the little things that I tried out on it when my friend got his the other year.

It was up to date enough when it launched and now I believe that it has been relegated to the same place and the iPod Classic, not likely to get another major update, maybe something like what happened between the v5/5.5 and 6. From what I have seen the latest iPod Touch preforms decently well for the little things that I tried out on it when my friend got his the other year.

It was decently fast enough when it came out, but now as with all apple products (or android products as well really), it's horribly slow... (think about it, it has worse specs than an iphone 4!)