iPOD nears exitinction

iamjsed

The game changer IPODs is nearing its extinction as this news article from The Verge shows that sales of IPODs has gone down for the last three years.  I guess this inevitable as the iPOD has been later realized as the iPhone.  I would't imagine myself carrying an iPhone and an iPOD at the same time as it just a waste of money.

See the full article at the verge.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/27/5351918/apples-ipod-rides-into-the-sunset

GAMINGCLICHE: Core i5 6500 - Gigabyte H170N-WiFi - Deepcool Gabriel - 16GB HyperX Fury - Asus Strix GTX 1070 OC - NZXT Manta

ORANGEJULIUS-720p: Core i3-3230 - Noctua 9UB-SE2 - Gigabyte B75N-itx - 8gb GSkill Ares - GTX 650Ti - Bitfenix Prodigy (RETIRED)

Well I think Ipods are for kids who's parents don't quite want them to have a Phone yet

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Not surprising. Nearly everybody has a smartphone now a days, which does the same thing as an iPod, if not better. I honestly see no need for an iPod or any MP3 playing devices with smartphones practically everywhere, and if you don't have one, there are really cheap ones that you can buy.

COMIC SANS

Cuz they're useless now since pretty much all phones sold nowadays have an iPod of sorts built in.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would say like back then Yes it was a game changer. A device in which not only could you listen to music but play games, surf the web, and interact with social sights aswell. But  that time has passed. Nearly every company has done something similar to it, and now it's slowly fading away. Kinda like the Wii, but instead it still has it exclusive game titles.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Like everyone is saying its not suprising but there is still use cases for an ipod over a smartphone especially due to the sizes of smartphones in comparison to the smaller ipods etc But i cbf carrying multiple devices so yah

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Everybody has phones now. Even kids in primary school..

I have a shitty phone that can't do this though. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Not surprising. Nearly everybody has a smartphone now a days, which does the same thing as an iPod, if not better. I honestly see no need for an iPod or any MP3 playing devices with smartphones practically everywhere, and if you don't have one, there are really cheap ones that you can buy.

there are high end mp3 devices that exist because they have a proper amp built in to drive high end headphone natively, so yes I still think there is a market for mp3 players, just a niche one

The first and only music only device I had was a sansa 8gb mp4 player in 2008? I still have it!

I see the use of these "music-only/mostly" diminishing because most things have the power to play music and people don't seem to care about the quality of it enough to buy a dedicated thing just for music that will sound marginally better than their phones stock music app.

I never really bought music anyway. Streaming is where it's at.

pirating is also pretty good xD

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

pirating is also pretty good xD

Quite honestly, it's too much work and the file sizes are just bananas. 

all the kids have phones now because being spoiled is the next cool thing

I'm soooo 2013.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

The first and only music only device I had was a sansa 8gb mp4 player in 2008? I still have it!

I see the use of these "music-only/mostly" diminishing because most things have the power to play music and people don't seem to care about the quality of it enough to buy a dedicated thing just for music that will sound marginally better than their phones stock music app.

My 2nd gen ipod touch destroys the audio quality of my S3. If I'm traveling anywhere, I'll bring my ipod with my phone to the airport.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

there are high end mp3 devices that exist because they have a proper amp built in to drive high end headphone natively, so yes I still think there is a market for mp3 players, just a niche one

To be honest, considering the high-quality DACs which exist in the majority of smartphones nowadays that's not as true as it used to be. The MP3 players with higher quality DACs are few and far between and usually quite expensive for a device that only has one purpose. It's usually a better and cheaper option to just get a portable amp for your phone than it is to buy an MP3 player with a sufficiently powerful one built-in.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

technology changes and society has a mind of its own as to what it wants. iPod served its purpose before smartphones were stable. but like an ever changing market, you must adapt to changes or get left behind. still waiting on my apple smart watch.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

To be honest, considering the high-quality DACs which exist in the majority of smartphones nowadays that's not as true as it used to be. The MP3 players with higher quality DACs are few and far between and usually quite expensive for a device that only has one purpose. It's usually a better and cheaper option to just get a portable amp for your phone than it is to buy an MP3 player with a sufficiently powerful one built-in.

that's definietly the more logical approach, but that combos are usually inconvenient with how large they are along with the phone

I never really bought music anyway. Streaming is where it's at.

yea managing the music on my phone has become a bore now, especially with spotify streaming now free on android and ios

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

all the kids have phones now because being spoiled is the next cool thing

this ^^^^ and i would still buy a ipod because i don't need a phone

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

that's definietly the more logical approach, but that combos are usually inconvenient with how large they are along with the phone

Mm. Depends how you set it up I'd guess.

And there are some absolutely tiny, yet impressively powerful portable amps nowadays. Still thinking of getting one for my Note II - damn European regulations resulted in it being ridiculously quiet. :(

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff