iPOD nears exitinction

iamjsed

I didnt know they still get made.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

What's an iPod? 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

My iPod video 5G from like 2007 is still going strong... use it almost everyday.

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

I don't have a phone. I cant' afford over 100$ per month, or pay the phone full price.And MP3 player allows a month without charging. A smart phone needs to be charged every day.

That is a bit subjective I'd say. I pay about 4 times less for my Lumia 920 + unlimited(speed and quantity) mobile internet, speed within the limits of 3g and so many calls and texts I can't use them all in a month.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

What makes me mad is when you see a little kid with an Iphone and they think there so cool. when i was there age i felt like a bad A$$ when I got a new pack of markers.

That is a bit subjective I'd say. I pay about 4 times less for my Lumia 920 + unlimited(speed and quantity) mobile internet, speed within the limits of 3g and so many calls and texts I can't use them all in a month.

No provider offers a Windows Phone under contract here.

And all smart phone contract (the decent ones) have a really high monthly contract.

Smartphone manufacture play the specs game... who has the highest specs.. well I don't care about that. I don't care about the 8K display, super large screen, hexa core 128-bit CPU, 32GB of RAM... you don't need all of this. What one needs is a well optimized, lean, and clean OS. Not only it will provide significantly more battery life, but it will provide phone with a fine smooth experience, even when web surfing. This makes the phone cheaper (if they are willing to sale the phone cheaper, but service providers don't like that, they want cheap special process for themselves, and have the phone sold as is, at high price, to push you to a several year contract with them).

So far, it is cheaper and more convenient to keep alive my Zune 120 if it even breaks... yes sir, still works, still using it daily, since 2007. I don't even know the number of times I drop it. Not even a scratch on the screen, thanks to the scratch resistant screen. That device is a tank. And surprisingly the battery still holds up. I have to charge it about once a week now, and not month. Works perfectly well with gloves at -40C outside as well. And sound quality, thanks to it's excellent sound card inside, the best sound you can get out of the majority of MP3 players and I think its safe to say, all smartphones.

No. It's because most music that most people listen to, stop listening to them after a while. So subscription music model is getting popularity.

Streaming is not working, as you need those super duper expensive data plans. What works is unlimited downloads without restriction (in the sense of having playlists or other limitation. Not talking about DRM), which XBox Music offers, and the industry such as Spotify is now trying to offer.

Agreed. Streaming is better when you have a cheap and high-capacity data plan. Besides, people may live in, or travel to an area which may not have a good reception. A large capacity media player will be better in these situation. Streaming is great, but it may not work in every situation.

I too have a ipod classic 160gb together with my note 3, and I love it. I have recordings of many hrs of radio progammes (~12x GB), and I could put them all in my ipod classic. I hope Apple would upgrade it with a larger capacity, and a better audio quality. 

Phones still have shitty storage, and can't touch my 160GB Ipod classic  :D 

Agreed. Streaming is better when you have a cheap and high-capacity data plan. Besides, people may live in, or travel to an area which may not have a good reception. A large capacity media player will be better in these situation. Streaming is great, but it may not work in every situation.

I too have a ipod classic 160gb together with my note 3, and I love it. I have recordings of many hrs of radio progammes (~12x GB), and I could put them all in my ipod classic. I hope Apple would upgrade it with a larger capacity, and a better audio quality.

As I have an MP3 player. I stream at home or school. Download anything I like (using the service, so, fully legal), and put it on my MP3 player, or for offline play. I use XBox Music. Unlimites streaming, unlimited download. Like a song? download the entire discography if you want.

I like my iPod touch 5g, but if Apple doesn't get its but into gear and releases a proper new Generation of it next September, I don't see myself buying another one, as instead an iPhone (or equivalent). It is just not powerful enough.

Well I think Ipods are for kids who's parents don't quite want them to have a Phone yet

I think, the other way around makes more sense. A mobile phone for emergencies seems fairly appropriate, whereas a mini gaming console and social networking device doesn't make any sense for a child. Not that it couldn't use it, but I wouldn't like the idea of my hypothetical child having access to the internet. (Yes, I know whitelists.)

all the kids have phones now because being spoiled is the next cool thing

I noticed that. When i went to primary school, only two students had a mobile phone. In highschool, only very few students had a phone with a bigger touch screen and laggy interface.

And now I see 10 year old children with smartphones everywhere. I am currently using a Nokia 6230i. :T

Reduce > Reuse > Recycle

Build-log (way out of date)

I still use my ipod quite frequently. Mostly because data plans are expensive and i listen to music pretty much any time im awake. Plus there are areas even in my major city where old buildings will block signals, and my gym is one of them so i have to use offline music anyway. Large music collections also dont fit on phones if you arent streaming, i have over 300gb of music and a 16gb phone, the ipod doesnt fit it all but it fits a lot more of it.  Plus the perks of hardly ever needing to charge it compared to my Nexus 4 its worth it.

I think the big bulky ipod might be limping along, but still has some purpose.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I will continue to use my ipod classic until phones can have 120gb capacity and battery life that can compete. I don't need my music player to drain the battery of my phone. 

I use a Sandisk Sansa Clip+ for the gym, Spotify has killed the need to carry an iPod in places with 3G signal IMO.

As a teen whos giving his exam, allow me to tell you why I feel the iPod Nano should not go.

So I've got my exams in a few months and lets face it, even if I were to give up my computer I would have access to stuff via my phone. However, the problem is that I cannot live without my music. So the iPod Nano 1st gen [taken from father who kept it in mint condition] + a super basic phone means that I can actually focus on my studies. 

[Talk about the opportunity cost here! Its only 4GB! :P]

I'm guessing this is a bad example since I'm not willing to shell out any money for a new iPod or MP3 player so am unaffected by this, but this does get my point across.

get an ipad...

Op i think apple should scrap the ipod thing and make a car head unit instead.

Ipad is too big and costs more?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

i like my ipod nano 6thg for running and other sports where i can't carry my brick of galaxy note easy in my pocket. Whenever i try to run with my note i am afraid to break it.

Am I the only one with a music library that doesn't fit on a phone and need a big ipod because no other mp3 player has such big capacities?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Am I the only one with a music library that doesn't fit on a phone and need a big ipod because no other mp3 player has such big capacities?

My entire music library doesnt fit on a phone nor would it eeven fit on the 160gb ipod lossless but I really dont see the need to carry the entire library, especially with how much less I listen to music on a portable device now days. Also 64gb for compressed AAC files at say VBR 0.5 is plenty of room and that card want all that expensive when I picked it up on sale. I think it was $50 for a Samsung Pro model, either way cheaper than a device with that much storage and I already had the phone.

Now dont get me wrong in my car I still have a 160gb iPod classic with a good majority of my library on. I just leave it in there though on shuffle mostly because my stereo in there is a bit old and has the original apple connector. It does also have aux in and a USB port but I hate using AUX in as its just cumbersome and not efficient and the USB port has the index the device before using it so even like a fast 8gb usb drive takes say 5min before it starts playing and this happens every time you start up the car. So basically anything above say a 2GB to maybe 4GB is useless but hey is better the MP3 CDs that were quite standard at the time.

The only iPod should have existed is the square touch one which could have been used as watch, for cheating and stuff on exams.

I have a dumb phone (as I like to call none smart phones) and a ipod touch. IPods are nice in that you don't need to have a data plan. Why I have an ipod touch is due to the fact my parents would not get me a smart phone. I would have to pay for the phone and the data plan if I want one. Why not get a tablet you say?An ipod is easier to carry around, mainly cause it fits in your pocket. That is mainly why I got it. Next I will get a none apple tablet or maybe get a smart phone.  My two cents. Note: I am a kid(17. 18 in a month).

You guys doe realize that cell phones, as in these dumb phones you keep talking about, have had the ability to play mp3's for like forever right? Also to use the media player parts of smart phones you dont have to use data or anything, I mean your just playing media off your phone.

True, but:

- XBox Music/Spotify and other services don't run on dumb phones.

- The audio quality is not even decent.

- The music player experience is lackluster at best.

I'll stick with my Zune. It even has the ability to wirelessly sync with the PC, and you can watch videos on it.

You guys doe realize that cell phones, as in these dumb phones you keep talking about, have had the ability to play mp3's for like forever right? Also to use the media player parts of smart phones you dont have to use data or anything, I mean your just playing media off your phone.

Haha, have you ever tried to get through a day of heavy use on an Android phone? The last thing I need to do is add the strain of playing music to it as well.

The audio playback is seriously lacking. The Optimus G doesn't even have the power to run my M30's, let alone a higher end set of headphones.

I think ipods will be around for a while. Yeah, they're dropping in sales. So are laptops and PC's. You won't see them disappear. I think their sales are dropping because the market is becoming saturated. I have two ipods, a 5G Classic and a 6G Nano. I've had the Nano for 3ish years, the Classic for almost a decade (slated for replacement by..a 240gb Classic.)

I use the Nano when exercising. It's awesome. It's small and light, and provides pretty good battery life. I'm much more impressed with it than I thought I would be. I wouldn't dream of carrying a phone around with me when exercising.

The 5G holds a good amount of music. You can't do that even with a lot of the Ipod Touchs, let alone a smart phone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ipad is too big and costs more?

Just ment a tablet can be android or anything and for just games and stuff it's not it's better