Windows System Recovery hasn't been backing up since October

I had a 4GB HDD when games were installable from CD's and took up to 650MB of space in some cases. I think you don't have to be explaining to me this. Fast forward 20 years and I have hard time believing 7GB is such god damn issue.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Well, you said it yourself, not more than it needs to. Well, those 7GB isn't "more than it needs to". It's for the OS to update without shitting itself coz there isn't enough space.

then do what I have sean other things do. Tell the user to make more space.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

25 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

people now loves it

Because it is actually useful and convenient. Unlike most UWP stuff.

26 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Epic Store tries to create competition to Steam

Bribing studios isnt competition, period!

26 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

And the Store has NOTHING to do with built-in apps

It is itself an UWP app, it installs them(in the past even without consent) and updates them including the built-in stuff. So yes, it has pretty much everything to do with them.

40 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

But, the store IS a built-in app and it IS a UWP-app.

And the store is atm the easiest way to get UWP-apps sooo yea...

If you say they are different, fine, explain then.

The Store is a store for getting apps, games, wallpaper and devices. It provides everything one needs to process any payment, monitor sales/downloads and provide a platform for updating one entry to the store automatically, without having to make their own (which often is poorly made and contain security issues due to lack of knowledge), and server costs.

UWP is a framework. A developer whether Microsoft or not, has the option to use it or not. They are a great number of frameworks available for all OSs, including phones and tablets. Some are cross platform others not at all. It is the developer to pick the best framework for its project. In a some ways, it is like picking a game engine.

You don't pick Unreal 4 to make a 2D, top view, snake game.

The same way you don't decided to not use a game engine, and go "raw" the old fashion way, not even using OpenGL or DirectX and go bare-metal on the GPU, for a game like Cyberpunk 2077. Sure, after 1000 people through 3 generations, you 'll end up with the same game and running better than using a game engine, as everything is super optimized for the specific needs of your game... but it isn't realistic. Heck, you won't go even that far for that 2D snake game today. Just use a game engine.

People usually do not like change because they usually do not understand the reason behind it. Telling people why the change is needed and why it is good is at least as important, usually even more important than the change itself.

Sure, but they are not open to listen to the changes either. And for many people, as people get older, they want to remain in their comfort zone, and even if they are better ways, they'll find nonsensical justifications for them to stay with their old ways of doing things. Heck, where I work, the younger people are following the latest tools in software developers. And we have people, not all, but a few, that they are close to their retirement which uses Excel sheets to track bugs, features and uses e-mail for things that should be in chat, and contentiously fails in their system by missing bugs or even features that are high priority, annoy everyone with silly 1 word e-mails, contentiously push old ideas and technologies that are no used anymore.  And despite their contentious failures, always have justifications on why their method is the best. One even codes with EDIT in MSDOS, and makes scripts using QBasic (which either doesn't run under 64-bit Windows, you need 32-bit Windows to install the 16-bit compatibility layer). No matter what you say or do, they will not listen or care to even look at your demo.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

I can't believe people complain over 7GB of space in year 2019 when massive HDD's cost literally peanuts. 55€ for 2TB WD Blue and 115€ for 2TB WD Black...

*is using a system with a 32 GB eMMC* ?

While lack of space is a show-stopper for downloading a feature update, downloading the ISO to a flash drive (through another pc) and updating from there seems to bypass the need for having the spare storage.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

@GoodBytes Sorry but i'm against you on this one. You can argue over which programs which users want rid of, sure. But for most users there's going to be somthing somwhere on the system they don't have a use for and if offered X GB's of space back in exchange for getting rid of it would take it. Offer someone somthing for nothing and the majority of the time they will take it. Thats just human nature.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I can't believe people complain over 7GB of space in year 2019 when massive HDD's cost literally peanuts. 55€ for 2TB WD Blue and 115€ for 2TB WD Black...

And here we are, with even Microsoft saying that ~100MB is too much space and disable a recovery feature because of it. 

Personally I don't have any issue with storage. I got terabytes upon terabytes of storage. However, I do not think "I got a lot of hardware" is a valid reason for why we shouldn't care about how much storage programs use.

Lots of hardware should not be an excuse for poor programming.

Telling people to buy more hardware to compensate for poor programming is like saying car manufacturers shouldn't make more efficient engines and instead just put in bigger gas tanks, or that people just need to visit gas stations more often. 

"what, you're complaining that the 2020 vw golf uses twice a smuch fuel without having any major advantages over the 2019 model? Just refuel more often. What, are you poor or something?" 

That's what I believe you sound like right now. 

13 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

@GoodBytes Sorry but i'm against you on this one. You can argue over which programs which users want rid of, sure. But for most users there's going to be somthing somwhere on the system they don't have a use for and if offered X GB's of space back in exchange for getting rid of it would take it. Offer someone somthing for nothing and the majority of the time they will take it. Thats just human nature.

Well, first of all, you can uninstall them. But ignoring that, what apps would you suggest that is not needed?

Calculator? Mail? Calendar? Music player? Photo app? Video player? All in all they don't consume anything. I just checked on a new account.. <50MB.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, first of all, you can uninstall them. But ignoring that, what apps would you suggest that is not needed?

Calculator? Mail? Calendar? Music player? Photo app? Video player? All in all they don't consume anything. I just checked on a new account.. <50MB.

The proper way would be to not have them preinstalled and instead have people install what they need. Impressive how this needs clarification in this day and age.

Your examples: Calculator is okay, I don't use Mail because Outlook, same thing with Calendar. Music Player - what do I do with that? Play mp3s from my HDD? The three people still doing surely do not justify having that thing preinstalled for everyone. Photo app is not  just useless compared to IrfanView, but additionally gets in the way when I start Photoshop from the start menu by typing. I don't know the video player, I use VLC, and that is really rare itself. So in conclusion, we can free up 50 something MB by removing rarely used stuff. More examples of useless preinstalled stuff would be OneDrive for instance, single-handedly adding 140 MB that I'd love to trade in for actual back up features ...

But why argue, MS does have an impressive track record of bad designs and design decisions in Windows. OP doesn't really make sense making another thread about it ...

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*is using a system with a 32 GB eMMC* ?

While lack of space is a show-stopper for downloading a feature update, downloading the ISO to a flash drive (through another pc) and updating from there seems to bypass the need for having the spare storage.

I have a 64GB ASUS Transformer...

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I have a 64GB ASUS Transformer...

My sister has one too. She cracked the display pretty quickly, so we'll probably grab a $5 monitor from Goodwill and convert it to a desktop at some point.

I like these Atom tablets over older (but much faster) laptops for a secondary device as the long battery life gives these a lot of utility for the price. As I don't have a home internet connection, my RCA tablet has been a lifesaver at times in downloading stuff for my desktop. This thing can also be powered by any ordinary power bank, so it will probably see lots more use for local video (via large flash drive) once PG&E starts shutting off power (because wildfire risks).

Sure, there are plenty of fast ultraportables that mop the floor with this thing, and get similar or better battery life, but I needn't spend multiple times the amount of money to fit a role that a $100 device fills just fine.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

MS removes a feature no one used,  LTT mistakes their own pet peaves for world issues. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Even SSD's.. We are well bellow 0.30$ per GB. Some SSDs are even bellow 0.15$ per GB.

While I agree, what about people with smaller windows devices (i.e. surface 64gb) now theres even less space for them.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

People don't like change. People used to hate on Steam, and once Valve forced people to its platform, people now loves it, and are not open to anything else.

Epic Store tries to create competition to Steam and help indie game developer, people crap on it. Same with with the Store with Windows.

Same with GOG. Selling you games that are DRM free, and people still want DRM Steam.

They are numerous example of this.

Windows Start menu, Windows Taskbar, Unity under Ubuntu, and lots more, even down to people complaints on newer version of Windows for dropping old Windows default wallpapers.

LOL! You are the one that is stuck in the sand. And the Store has NOTHING to do with built-in apps, has NOTHING to do with UWP. They are all completely different things. You hate just because you want to hate, just because it is a different to what you were used to, that is all.

If epic game launcher wasn't a purely inferior in every way to steam in terms of features and usability and wasn't forcing people to use them through crazy practices like paid exclusives then maybe people wouldn't hate them. The windows store is unfortunately hard to use and I really wish it wasn't. I have tried finding games on the windows store before and it is a pretty crap experience. I do think their new gaming App made for the PC gaming pass is actually decent and is a good step in the right direction. Again sometimes people dont like things because they are a crappy alternative. 

9 hours ago, Tataffe said:

Your examples: Calculator is okay, I don't use Mail because Outlook, same thing with Calendar. Music Player - what do I do with that? Play mp3s from my HDD? The three people still doing surely do not justify having that thing preinstalled for everyone. Photo app is not  just useless compared to IrfanView, but additionally gets in the way when I start Photoshop from the start menu by typing. I don't know the video player, I use VLC, and that is really rare itself.

Then the people who don't need them can uninstall them. But for the majority of users, they are not going to go out and find a different photo viewer, media player or email client. the people that dont want them are in the minority.

The proper way would be to not have them preinstalled and instead have people install what they need.

then people will complain "what? windows doens't even come with a photo viewer? what a piece of shit" etc etc. again, there is more benefit for a much larger amount of users having them pre-installed. believe it or not, not everyone knows how to use computers well, so sometimes you just need to make it simple forthe lowest common denominated, the "power users" will know they can uninstall the things they don't need, but hey, it's just another thing for people to complaint about

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

36 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Then the people who don't need them can uninstall them. But for the majority of users, they are not going to go out and find a different photo viewer, media player or email client. the people that dont want them are in the minority.

My experience was this, I have been a long time user of photoshop ( I have version 6 installed and never really saw any reason to upgrade).  I loaded up some recent photos to edit before posting and discovered that the colors were wrong (blues looked very purple).  I loaded the same photos up in windows 10 photo viewer and the colors where far superior (blue was actually blue).  Then I discovered the basic editing tools in windows were more than sufficient (and in some cases better than the old adobe) for my needs (cropping, sharpening and color saturation/washout issues).  I will likely uninstall adobe now that I have discovered the built in apps are so good.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

7GB is one HD movie in pretty damn good quality. If people don't have this much space to spare to get free updates then what are you even doing with your life...

Eh, no, it's not. It might be ok quality, but "damn good", no. Blu ray file of a movie is usually 20-28 GB

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Meh, just let people logged into a Microsoft account to sync the backups to OneDrive and call it a day...

Imagine uplaoding several GB's to cloud with a few megabits/sec(which is more tipical than 10+), not to mention the data security issues....

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

At least in the EU AFAIK media player and IE, (now edge), don't come pre-installed as the Eu has made anti-competitive rulings against them being auto installed. personally i just tell windows to install everything because i don't care about the space and having somthing just in case is awesome. But i'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would given the option prefer to have the OS only install a given app when they try to launch it, meaning unless they try to actually use it it takes up no space. 

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

People complain on the size of Windows it takes on disk

Dell still has their recovery and i agree it takes up a huge chunk of space i could otherwise use 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

44 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Imagine uplaoding several GB's to cloud with a few megabits/sec(which is more tipical than 10+), not to mention the data security issues....

my 0.5mbps up would like a word. i wish i has a "few megabits/sec"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Blake said:

While I agree, what about people with smaller windows devices (i.e. surface 64gb) now theres even less space for them.

How? They removed the auto-backup registry feature so now you have more free space, a feature that NO ONE has ever used, and I can guaranty you that you never used it, let alone ever knew about it. So I don't get it...

Oh the fact that it comes with Calculator? The same app that came with every version of Windows? Do you really don't have a couple of KB to space? Please.

Also, Surface, like majority of tablet devices, have a microSD card slot. 

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

If epic game launcher wasn't a purely inferior in every way to steam in terms of features and usability and wasn't forcing people to use them through crazy practices like paid exclusives then maybe people wouldn't hate them. The windows store is unfortunately hard to use and I really wish it wasn't. I have tried finding games on the windows store before and it is a pretty crap experience. I do think their new gaming App made for the PC gaming pass is actually decent and is a good step in the right direction. Again sometimes people dont like things because they are a crappy alternative. 

You didn't try it. Try, and you'll see.

4 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

At least in the EU AFAIK media player and IE, (now edge), don't come pre-installed as the Eu has made anti-competitive rulings against them being auto installed. personally i just tell windows to install everything because i don't care about the space and having somthing just in case is awesome. But i'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would given the option prefer to have the OS only install a given app when they try to launch it, meaning unless they try to actually use it it takes up no space. 

Incorrect. here is a N and K edition that costs the same as the normal editions that doesn't have some included app. You only save a couple of KB. And nearly everyone that ends up with such edition, runs to MS web site to get the pack to get those things back. 

10 minutes ago, Arika S said:

my 0.5mbps up would like a word. i wish i has a "few megabits/sec"

Im guessing they made sure that there is no alternative either...  My speeds are a bit better but in terms of choices im in the same boat. Only one ISP and only asymmetric over docsis, plus by default they put you behind CGN (no ipv6 OFC).

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

How? They removed the auto-backup registry feature so now you have more free space, a feature that NO ONE has ever used, and I can guaranty you that you never used it, let alone ever knew about it. So I don't get it...

Was refering to the 7GB update reserved space.

Others have mentioned it and it's been raised as a potential issue before. They just need to change the required HDD space from the 21GB or so to 28GB and it's a non-issue.

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Im guessing they made sure that there is no alternative either.

Rural Australia, so absolutely not. Our government also thinks that 10mbps is "high speed" so they put no money into better infrastructure

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒