Windows System Recovery hasn't been backing up since October

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That would not happen, because you have popup asking you to restart, unless it is disabled Check your settings.

And if you don't respond to that popup (because you didn't see it), then it will force the restart anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

And if you don't respond to that popup (because you didn't see it), then it will force the restart anyway.

Never had this

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Good news! You get a Windows 7 style notification to ask you if you want to restart now, schedule time, or later. And on top of this, you have Active Hours which you can set, and Windows will not do updates at this period. It is all options found under Windows Update. 

Was I not clear? I actually finished after my normal working hours and the PC restarted overnight, I did not agree to this and I had my OS specifically set up to prevent this.

Windows will reopen your last open programs. If they support it

Yeah, so I'm left with 5 apps that have no work saved, but are opened again, and 10 that did not start at all, I'd say this feature is in alpha stage at best, might be better if I used as much M$ software as you do.

Shame, you should look into it if you have an Android phone. In summary, you can send/receive SMS/MMS from your PC, access pictures from the phone, and get phone notifications on you PC. More to come.

Just like AirDroid, I might try it out when I get enough of what I'm already using.

I guess it depends on where you are and the receiving end, as well as connection quality end to end

I looked it up, Skype should be using Opus, I don't know then why when we tried using it everyone sounded bad, GSM voice call bad. Interface wise it's a matter of opinion, but I get angry using new Skype, the old one was just 'meh'.

Time have changed. It plays all popular formats, including support for most MKVs, MP4, and FLAC.

I'm not too confident in your opinion since you mentioned MKV, MP4 and FLAC, the former two are just basic containers and the later is a codec that might've been problematic at some point, but imo it's not a benchmark of compatibility. I'd like someone with anime avatar to tell me all of his pirated vids play without the issue.

All in all, let's assume you want Cortana out and Alarm, even Your Phone, say you have an iPhone instead, or a very old Android phone to use it, then that is still a few MBs.

Absolutely, however, some of those apps(mainly Cortana) lurk in background eating up resources that are more precious than disk space. I provided a space usage screen of my Win7 directory, on Win 10 the DriverStore folder is the biggest taking up 12GB of space, but none of those are an issue in my opinion. It's just that from my experience, you can always find a better app and Microsoft software is rather annoying, thus I'd like to remove most of it.

Btw.  I highly recommend turning off Windows' search engine and using Everything, it uses less resources and finds everything immediately, I even prefer it to locate command on Linux

38 minutes ago, Loote said:

Was I not clear? I actually finished after my normal working hours and the PC restarted overnight, I did not agree to this and I had my OS specifically set up to prevent this.

Yeah, so I'm left with 5 apps that have no work saved, but are opened again, and 10 that did not start at all, I'd say this feature is in alpha stage at best, might be better if I used as much M$ software as you do.

Setup your system properly. I pushed 3 days no restart.. I could have pushed more, but I decided to finally restart.

38 minutes ago, Loote said:

I'm not too confident in your opinion since you mentioned MKV, MP4 and FLAC, the former two are just basic containers and the later is a codec that might've been problematic at some point, but imo it's not a benchmark of compatibility. I'd like someone with anime avatar to tell me all of his pirated vids play without the issue.

That is why I said "most", and I mentioned previously "popular codecs

Yes, this is all a first world problem. But in an age when technology is getting ahead of people's lack of discretion or knowledge, this all seems a little excessive. But maybe I am overestimating people...I usually do

microsoft: makes a mistake or strange descision

people: hates on microsoft.

linux: makes a mistake or strange descision

people: do not care at all.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

9 hours ago, Loote said:

I assume you tried Kodi? I mean, it's supposed to be XBMC successor, which sounds like Media Center's brother. Some people love Kodi, for me it lacked Plex's transcode abilities, but I don't know your use case :)

Plex does everything I need now, I don't require TV tuning anymore but it can do that.

Why the f**k is everything after the /spoiler tag still in the spoiler?   FFS !

Now I gotta write it all again ... for the third time !!!!!

You know what?   screw it.  The moosehead has already replied while I was struggling here so I'm going to do the edit in a completely new post..

----------------------------

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Never had this

Consider yourself lucky

Caution : strong language

Spoiler

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Never had this

I have, but only in windows 7,   My windows 10 install is set to all recommend , it waits till I shut down or restarts only during the hours set.

The only people I know who seem to have issues with updates interfering with work flow are on forums like these, Coincidentally the same people who promote avoiding updates and messing with the windows update system to avoid them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Loote said:

just to be sure, what's the age of the os? Mine has over 100k powered on hours and some additional features like IIS added.

ooh, no idea how many hours.  probably 10-15K or thereabout.  This is a VM that I've had since 2011 and used for working from home (not going to do that on my main OS).  Used it on 2 PCs throughout several Win7 installs.  I quit using it when Vista went EoL but had the .vdi file on a backup disk still so I dug it up for fun. 

Are you sure it has over 100k powered on hours?  There are 8760 hours in a year so it would take 11.4 years to get 100k even if the PC were running 24/7.  Windows 7 was released almost 10 years ago.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

I have, but only in windows 7,   My windows 10 install is set to all recommend , it waits till I shut down or restarts only during the hours set.

The only people I know who seem to have issues with updates interfering with work flow are on forums like these, Coincidentally the same people who promote avoiding updates and messing with the windows update system to avoid them.

The issue certainly does come from not updating immediately, but frankly, I'd rather have a potentially unpatched vulnerability than have my workflow interrupted. These days it's also less of an issue since you can defer updates for up to a month, but that wasn't the case before. Before, it would prompt you to restart with a timer and would force the restart as soon as work hours ended and the timer came due. So if the prompt appeared with a one hour timer and didn't appear until after you left work, then it was going to force the restart and there was nothing to prevent it.

The only way to prevent it would be to see the dialog and postpone the restart for some fixed amount of time.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

23 hours ago, leadeater said:

Windows Media Center was great,

Kodi/XBMC washes up the floor with it IMO....

11 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Kodi/XBMC washes up the floor with it IMO....

Not back then it didn't, when Microsoft killed off Media Center sure but even then there was nothing I couldn't do or needed so switching wasn't necessary. All the free/open source options too often bugged out and required getting out a keyboard or simply did not function correctly for TV tuning with TV guide information from terrestrial digital source.

I actually tried every single option in existence at the time and Media Center was the best at the time, was the only real viable option. This was a HTPC used in the main living room by everyone, it had to work all the time always with zero intervention. The requirement was to function exactly like a TV did, press on and work. Edit: along with handling 2 dual TV tuner cards and series recording without illogical choice of using an extra tuner for back to back shows. You could even change channels like normal if all 4 were being used between each of them without having to drop back in to a recorded TV menu, the smaller detailed usability was exceptionally good.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

TV tuning with TV guide information

I dont even know when i last switced over to that ad infestation lol..... Probably since we have internet(10 or more years). For local media playback the open source versions were killing both media player and media center. Especially in codec support without breaking the system(like codec pack's did).

41 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I dont even know when i last switced over to that ad infestation lol..... Probably since we have internet(10 or more years). For local media playback the open source versions were killing both media player and media center. Especially in codec support without breaking the system(like codec pack's did).

When you have no local file system playback requirements that's pretty useless, in which case codec packs are not required. TV and DVD playback were the content sources and I've been using Media Center before viable high speed internet was an option (data caps suck). When the connection speed is too low and/or data caps too restrictive support for online streaming sources and 'acquired' content just isn't required, neither is getting lesser quality acceptable either.

I don't know what internet was like where you were in 2007-08 but considering NZ has always been in the top global performers for both internet coverage and average speed I wouldn't think it was much better, unless you were in Japan or Korea at the time. The real issue though is data caps not speed because that very much limits what you can do.

What was more important was finding a GPU that could handle fast TV channel changing and channels using different encoding and resolution formats that didn't freeze, artifact or just result in a back image. Went through quite a few: X800, 8800GTS, 4670, 9500GT and the best one was the 4670. Wasn't even an issue I was expecting to encounter, TV tuning is more annoying than you'd expect.

15 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Are you sure it has over 100k powered on hours?  There are 8760 hours in a year so it would take 11.4 years to get 100k even if the PC were running 24/7.  Windows 7 was released almost 10 years ago.

The this must be wrong :) it's basically been up 24/7 since I got Release Candidate version with maybe 6 months of break accumulated, definitely my power_on_hours_on_my_disk/number_of_years_I_think_I_had_it*9 number is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 7:58 AM, GoodBytes said:

Yes. Microsoft pulled the plug on this feature because:

1. No one was using it.
  2. You have System Restore already
  3. People complain on the size of Windows it takes on disk.

i think people are just angry that it doesnt say the feature is removed it still says backup is successful when you try to back it up and it saves like 50MBs i heard so i dont think thats a significant space savings