Windows System Recovery hasn't been backing up since October

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

First up by disabling it they gain negligible space compared to the risks. They could save more if they just give in already and remove all the bloatware. But i guess they think swallowing their pride and admitting defeat would cause stomach ache or something....

Yeah, it's not quite as simple as "remove bloat". It would be a large undertaking and very expensive task to clean up the Windows code base. So much so that it's not worth the money to even attempt it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, it's not quite as simple as "remove bloat". It would be a large undertaking and very expensive task to clean up the Windows code base. So much so that it's not worth the money to even attempt it. 

Yeah, that's probably it.

I don't think any of the problems I have with Windows are unfixable, but I don't think Microsoft cares enough to spend time and money on fixing it.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, that's probably it.

I don't think any of the problems I have with Windows are unfixable, but I don't think Microsoft cares enough to spend time and money on fixing it.

That's absolutely what it is. It's not exclusive to Microsoft. This is a generic "problem" in the industry. Hardware gets cheaper, more people can afford more powerful hardware, and the benefits behind optimization become less and less worthwhile.

Microsoft could spend tens/hundreds of millions of dollars cleaning up and redesigning the Windows code base, or they could just let it grow more and more bloated forcing a tiny percentage of users to upgrade to something newer than 10-15 years old (or from something that was garbage when it was new a few years ago), while the vast majority of people aren't particularly affected as they already have sufficient hardware or would upgrade shortly anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Its their fault, no-one forced them to build a quasi monolithic OS with very negligible modularity....  IMO this negligence will blow up in their face, seeing how bad win10 is id say it will happen in the near future. Either way it is going to be nasty that's for sure.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:39 AM, GoodBytes said:

Doesn't mean anything. Sites are just fighting for viewers. They hope that their guide will be on page 1 of Google for the few looking for this (or hope it may rise) and be there, even if they provide no additional information over other guides, as it is all based on someone else work (and many times they don't even test their own guides, suggesting commands to execute that is not related to anything of topic, for example).

People messing around with the OS and following these 'guides' is by far, far far, the most common way people break their OS then turn around and complain about Windows being broken..... you broke it you fix it applies a lot more than Microsoft breaking it. Sure Microsoft has broken their fair share but that's so much less than what everyone else does.

What gets me is just how bad the guides are and how dangerous the things advised, let alone there is properly documented correct ways of doing what ever it is they are trying to do. 99.9% of the time there is a local GPO you can set to do it and that is completely safe and supported thing to do.

As for the topic and RegBack folder, literally never used it. Most things are actually very easily fixed and if you have to start messing around with registry you have likely gone too far and reinstall it much better. Adjusting registry settings to change an application setting is one thing but actually having to fall back to a registry backup, yea something is very broken if you need to do that.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, Arika S said:

then people will complain "what? windows doens't even come with a photo viewer? what a piece of shit" etc etc. again, there is more benefit for a much larger amount of users having them pre-installed. believe it or not, not everyone knows how to use computers well, so sometimes you just need to make it simple forthe lowest common denominated, the "power users" will know they can uninstall the things they don't need, but hey, it's just another thing for people to complaint about

Like everyone back in the day that tried Linux and found it couldn't even play DVD movies by default, bitched about that then went back to Windows lol. Easily fixed but overall removing what is actually basic functionality to save fractional amounts of space is pointless and oh so less convenient (yes I know DVD movies in Linux was licensing reasons). I never use Windows Media Player, ever, but I'd never suggest it should be optional or removed etc.

I remember when DSL (Damn Small Linux) was the in thing and I couldn't help laugh how pointless that was, in a time when there were no Pi's or devices like it so getting a Linux install down to 30MB-50MB when there was zero requirement for it was pointless, unless getting a Linux OS to run off a Zip disk was exciting to you...

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

People messing around with the OS and following these 'guides' is by far, far far, the most common way people break their OS then turn around and complain about Windows being broken...

Some guides are better than other, the reader should also use brain. You can't download more RAM, but you can clear startup folder and disable some unneeded services(this won't break the PC, but it may turn out you need some services you thought you didn't need, for example I had to turn RDP back on when I started using it).

Guide is one thing, but the PC OPTIMIZING SUPER S0FTWARE TURBO FREE MORE RAM may sound alluring for some of the less seasoned PC users. Just 2 days ago we had to recover some password from Windows registry, so I found the guide which pointed me to the key and how to decipher the password, my colleague opted to use some soft that does the same thing for him, it worked, but I'm still afraid of what it did with the password(even though it's been changed since then).

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Its their fault, no-one forced them to build a quasi monolithic OS with very negligible modularity....  IMO this negligence will blow up in their face, seeing how bad win10 is id say it will happen in the near future. Either way it is going to be nasty that's for sure.

For the vast majority of users Windows 10 isn't bad. Stop pushing your 0.1% drama on the masses.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Loote said:

Some guides are better than other, the reader should also use brain. You can't download more RAM, but you can clear startup folder and disable some unneeded services(this won't break the PC, but it may turn out you need some services you thought you didn't need, for example I had to turn RDP back on when I started using it).

Then you haven't seen some of the crazy, and actually used, ways of disabling Windows Updates when all it takes is a simple GPO pointing to a URL that doesn't exist.

3 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

For the vast majority of users Windows 10 isn't bad. Stop pushing your 0.1% drama on the masses.

Because no user was hit by buggy updates, never wiped user files/whole partitions, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.........................

Yeah, definitely not bad...... /s   Pull your head out of the sand.

@leadeater
Isn't the point to disable automatic restarts, not updates altogether? I've seen some of the guides, found one that worked well until it didn't, then I found another one and I guess it's fine until MS decides it should control when my PC restarts again. The existence of bad guides doesn't equal lack of good guides :P

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Because no user was hit by buggy updates, never wiped user files/whole partitions, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.........................

No, really, Windows 10 is a really good OS, it has it's flaws and doesn't deserve the huge share it has, but I've seen much worse.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I never said no one was never impacted by it. Don't go putting words in my mouth. Even the best piece of software isn't perfect and will cause problems for some people.

That doesn't mean that it affects any meaningful number of people.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Loote said:

@leadeater
Isn't the point to disable automatic restarts, not updates altogether? I've seen some of the guides, found one that worked well until it didn't, then I found another one and I guess it's fine until MS decides it should control when my PC restarts again. The existence of bad guides doesn't equal lack of good guides :P

You can do both, but suffice to say most want it completely disabled when looking for it and if no updates can install it isn't going to restart. I have yet to come across a guide that shows the GPO way unless you are using search terms a system administrator would use.

image.png.2e20e59e258d08b9f5566f016b2b8e25.png

Computer will never reboot with this set.

TL;DR I've never seen a good guide aimed at general/gamers.

Edit:

image.png.18071bf767df6aa9cfb0cfd47e7829ac.png

For the ones that don't want them ever.

Just now, leadeater said:

You can do both, but suffice to say most want it completely disabled when looking for it and if no updates can install it isn't going to restart. I have yet to come across a guide that shows the GPO way unless you are using search terms a system administrator would use.

image.png.2e20e59e258d08b9f5566f016b2b8e25.png

Computer will never reboot with this set.

Well a GPO only works on Pro and up, not home, which is likely what most people have.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Well a GPO only works on Pro and up, not home, which is likely what most people have.

Well I would say what most people have if you are using those guides to disable Windows Updates but I'll leave it here lol ?.

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Yep. Totally agree! (and in addition to Leadeaters argument) And Windows never ever dropped DVD support? Or at times did not have USB/MP3 support out of the box (IIRC)? Difference with Linux, is people *could* go back to Windows if they did not like Linux. I know people go back to OSX/Apple because they don't like Windows. Does not excuse MS/Apple/Linux for their faults... lol the "but company X does it" arguments are trash on the internet (sooo many used this excuse for why 737 should crash, because "brand X aircraft are just as baaaaad").

Yeah, it's like the Apple vs Android arguments. People cherry pick so much, it's hard to have a rational discussion with them. :(

14 minutes ago, Loote said:

No, really, Windows 10 is a really good OS, it has it's flaws and doesn't deserve the huge share it has, but I've seen much worse.

An OS does what the user instructs it to do. If the user says it should disable all and any diagnostic/other data collection it should do that. Or if the user wishes to disable lets say the WU service it should do that and leave it that way. If there is a entry in hosts file for microsoft-com to be redirected to 0.0.0.0 then it should obey that.

Windows 10 at this point isnt an OS but a marionette that takes over your private property and lets MS to do whatever they want with it without you having any say in it.

12 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

never said no one was never impacted by it.

You said:

"Stop pushing your 0.1% drama on the masses. "

I just provided a few wide spread issues to counter that. Widows 10 isnt good by any stretch of the meaning.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Because it would require a HW firewall to actually stop any unwanted "chatter". Normies would freak out from the WebUI(if there is any :D) of any worthy firewall....

Edited by jagdtigger

7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

If you are looking at doing, that means that you are looking for trouble. They have been reports on this forum of people disabling updates, and having issues (require system re-install) when comes to updating Windows later on, because they skip some updates. I am not saying that you will get issues, but you may, as Microsoft only tests specific update flows only.  To have that knowledge you should be a power user, and therefore probably would pick "Pro" edition of Windows 10 when you buy your system.

On top of things, guess what? You just updated Windows regardless.... so why have it disabled to begin with?

29 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

While many estimates suggest there are more than 1 billion Windows-powered PCs in use in the world, Microsoft officially claims there are 400 million active users of Windows 10 itself.

400,000,000 * 0.001 = 400,000. I think 400,000 affected users is enough for that to generate decent amount of noise and complaints online while still being a 0.1% issue. 399,600,000 people can still be unaffected nor ever know about the issue so it can both be wide spread and also a non issue to the majority, lovely situations only companies like Microsoft etc hit.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

An OS does what the user instructs it to do. If the user says it should disable all and any diagnostic/other data collection it should do that. Or if the user wishes to disable lets say the WU service it should do that and leave it that way. If there is a entry in hosts file for microsoft-com to be redirected to 0.0.0.0 then it should obey that.

Windows 10 at this point isnt an OS but a marionette that takes over your private property and lets MS to do whatever they want with it without you having any say in it.

You said:

"Stop pushing your 0.1% drama on the masses. "

I just provided a few wide spread issues to counter that. Widows 10 isnt good by any stretch of the meaning.

No. The OS is not your personal assistance. The OS purpose is to operate your system, as the name suggest, and do what is best for your system.

That is keeping things up to date, attempt to reduce bugs and issues by getting back programs and OS crash reports, ensure your tools (software) are working so that you are productivity, and tries to deliver you new features that aim to help your productivity or at the very least, make using your system more enjoyable.

16 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Because it would require a HW firewall to actually stop any unwanted "chatter". Normies would freak out from the WebUI(if there is any :D) of any worthy firewall....

You don't need a hardware firewall and it depends what you are wanting to achieve. However the stopping all 'chatter' guides are the exact examples I'm talking about that do more damage than good and generate more issues than people are willing to admit or not blame on Windows. Contrary to (un)popular opinion the OS does what it's designed to do, how the creator wishes and you get to use it under those conditions. The only OS ourselves have control over is the one we make ourselves.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No. The OS is not your personal assistance. The OS purpose is to operate your system, as the name suggest, and do what is best for your system.

That is keeping things up to date, attempt to reduce bugs and issues by getting back programs and OS crash reports, ensure your tools (software) are working so that you are productivity, and tries to deliver you new features that aim to help your productivity or at the very least, make using your system more enjoyable.

Thats the theory, but reality is pretty much the opposite of it.

47 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I have been using Windows 10 for ages, I consider myself a power user where I have taken the time to edit all my Windows 10 Pro systems just the way I wanted them to be, like Linus once made a video about it "that Windows 9 experience".

It's surprising how much you can mod Windows 10 still by today, it may take some time but everything you want can still be done, classical win7 start menu? windows photo viewer? old paint? old search bar? get rid of all the "App" deal junk? delete the Store altogether? keep using local adm account rather than Microsoft account nonsense? no cortana? there's no limits if you're a savvy user.

People think that if you want to customize your experience you need Linux, well not really I've always been able to do everything I wanted to do in Windows with a superior experience by every mean while never having had a single major issue.

So pull your head out of the sand, OS is a matter of personal preference, there is no such thing as bad or good just user case. Issues mostly always related to people who force updates ahead of time are going to happen on just about any kinda of software, nothing in this industry is fully fail safe.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)