The World’s Most Powerful Cyclotron

JonoT
5 minutes ago, JonoT said:

Buy a book on cyclotrons On Amazon: https://geni.us/3hcjR On Newegg: https://geni.us/7waUf

^ well thought out lol

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

the fuck is a cyclotron

It's a cyclotronic device, duh! :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

It's a cyclotronic device, duh! :P

what the fuck is a cyclotronic device

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

what the fuck is a cyclotronic device

A device that does cylo things >.>

Spoiler

Just messing with you, lol

I don't know either :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

A device that does cylo things >.>

Reveal hidden contents

Just messing with you, lol

I don't know either :P

what the fuck is a cylo thing

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

what the fuck is a cylo thing

One of these things:

Image result for xylophone

Wait, that's a xylophone, nevermind..

/s

"cyclotron
/ˈsʌɪklətrɒn/
an apparatus in which charged atomic and subatomic particles are accelerated by an alternating electric field while following an outward spiral or circular path in a magnetic field."

Ah, this makes it much more clear to a dumbass like me.. It's sciencey stuff!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

One of these things:

Image result for xylophone

Wait, that's a xylophone, nevermind..

/s

"cyclotron
/ˈsʌɪklətrɒn/
an apparatus in which charged atomic and subatomic particles are accelerated by an alternating electric field while following an outward spiral or circular path in a magnetic field."

Ah, this makes it much more clear to a dumbass like me.. It's sciencey stuff!

what the fuck is a sciencey stuff

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

what the fuck is a sciencey stuff

this is a bad version of the LTT banning game

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

@fasauceome has been banned for disrespecting my opinion.

What the fuck is an opinion?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This is such a funny thread.  OMG Im laughing so hard.  LOL!

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

sorry Linus, but 1.000.000 Watts is only 1mw. We in a datacenter consume about 80mw and can pull up to 120mw with n+1 redundancy.

Also a tear 1 dc is nothing special, your serverroom could be near tear 1 :P

Hi, this was an impressing video about that facility.

If you ever will be in Europe soon, don't miss out on DESY/XFEL in Hamburg, Germany. See https://www.desy.de or https://www.xfel.eu and get in touch with our PR department. I think they might be interested to show you around. Don't miss out on visiing the actual accelerators itself like XFEL, FLASH, PETRA, HERA and more. I love to see other research institutes seen through different eyes. DM me for details.

49 minutes ago, zENjA said:

could be near tier 1 

No it wouldn't be.

Maybe a 3

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

1 hour ago, zENjA said:

sorry Linus, but 1.000.000 Watts is only 1mw. We in a datacenter consume about 80mw and can pull up to 120mw with n+1 redundancy.

Also a tear 1 dc is nothing special, your serverroom could be near tear 1 :P

Their Tier 1 is different than the usual data centers, should have made the difference more clear in the video (or they could have used a less confusing name scheme)

Interesting to see around other research institutes!

Love with all these advanced research institutes...and they have contamination control barrier of some shelves.  I'm pretty sure that's about the same as they had when I was at some parts of CERN.

Would be interesting to see around some of the other ones...FermiLab is in the US along with plenty of other smaller labs, and there is also so many over in Europe.

Plus its just interesting for you guys! I get to hang out with some cool tech occasionally, but getting to see around some Physics experiments is especially exciting, usually due to their scale and how impressive it all is.

That, and there is so much computing that goes into them all, as you've said. "Small" physics runs for these sorts of things can generate PBs in such tiny time frames. The prototype of the experiment I'm on was on the order of 2PB for a few months, and is expected to be closer to 30PB+ a year when running at full scale. The processing power behind that is incredible.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

3 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

the fuck is a cyclotron

A big full pair of double D's   shaped electromagnets. By varying the EM fields with time it can accelerate particles.   

To visualize what it can be used for...  Imagine trying to figure out how to put together a fine Swiss pocket watch.... by smashing a million of them into a wall and carefully recording what flies out.  That was/is how particle accelerators are used to learn about elementary particles. (Heard that somewhere else and it's about right.)

7 minutes ago, WiiManic said:

Would be interesting to see around some of the other ones...FermiLab is in the US along with plenty of other smaller labs, and there is also so many over in Europe.

Fermilab would be cool to see in an LTT video.  Last I checked they were working on how to build a muon accelerator.   Among many other things. 

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

A big full pair of double D's 

91182021_Screenshot(536).thumb.png.e26c1

?

5 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Fermilab would be cool to see in an LTT video.  Last I checked they were working on how to build a muon accelerator.   Among many other things. 

Fermilab has many similarites for superconducting linear acceleration technology to FLASH at DESY or XFEL.