Massdrop Rebrands to Drop, Ironically Dropping Group-Buys In The Process

ChaoticGoreMagala

aaaand that site is dead.
The point of it was getting stuff cheaper, by having it bought in bulk by a lot of people.

If it's just another e-retailler, why would anyone "shop" there over places like Amazon. For their rebranded products?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Soooo they throw away their entire unique concept and rename themselves to a name you can't find by searching. Fucking amazing business move 10/10

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, ChaoticGoreMagala said:

Amusingly when you Google 'Drop', Dropbox is the first thing that comes up, Drop.com is nowhere to be found on the first page even. Google MassDrop however....

I went from keeping tabs on what they had drops on to not even caring about the platform anymore.

People have to remember that these kinds of search optimized changes take time to propagate through the system. Assuming their business doesn't immediately fail, in a few weeks, their search results will be higher and more prominent.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ah yes, the timeless strategy of "Shooting yourself in the foot and bleeding out slowly." I can't wait for this bold, galaxy brained strategy to come to fruition in several months when people have completely forgotten the site exists and are only reminded by the announcement of their sudden but inevitable bankruptcy.

I only used them twice. Once for keycaps that took fuggin months to deliver and 2 was their own tuned Senheiser headset.

I have to wonder, maybe they'll drop the group buying but keep the lower prices, hence the "drop" in the name.  That could actually work quite well.  I doubt it though, can't imagine how that could work.  So really they should have renamed themselves to

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I've bought from Massdrop a few times. First time was for a keyboard (that I'm typing on right now), again for an artisan keycap that had a logical reason to take months to deliver (because it had to be hand-made) and a third time for a side-printed Cherry profile PBT keycap set that didn't have any reason to take months to deliver.

If they're no longer community-focused then I guess I have no reason to buy from them over somewhere like Amazon or Newegg.

Oh well, it's been quite a while since I bought anything from there anyway.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

"We decided to drop an innovative idea that let us stand out in the market as a unique venture, and are now competing with Amazon like everyone else" 

I guess it's hard to keep up the same thing on a larger scale. And they would probably reach a wider audience and thus more profit as a traditional eTailer. Sad to see the idea go though

That's an F in the profile pic

On 5/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, yolosnail said:

This is like eBay dropping online auctions and focusing on local auctions and re-branding themselves as Bay

they already thing they're fucking amazon and screw the small time/ used sellers as much as they can 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I can fit 3 items on a screen at a time on 1080p, same at 1366x768. Why the fuck???? The only way it looks good is on my 43" 4k monitor, where I can fit multiple rows on screen. Did they literally design this for a fucking TV? 

image.png.783b0e2f519eed66906757c5923a02a3.png
image.png.0630779746000af565131123c5fb9bb1.png
The only way this trash heap is even tolerable to browser without feeling boxed in is zooming out, being that it's the one fucking site that doesn't rescale when you zoom to make it cancer no matter the rendering size. 
image.png.33e45f34dbcffe723b89b085e82454f3.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

If they remain a relevant place to buy niche items at better/equivalent prices, I'll still use them.

I'll also still refer to them as MassDrop, as that's the name people will recognize in conversation.

Good. Group buy never made much sense to me, especially as they were limited time.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Good. Group buy never made much sense to me, especially as they were limited time.

What exactly didn't make sense about it?

The time limit was to ensure a defined quantity to be fulfilled. They negotiate with the manufacturer for set prices (based on how much volume), and then they sell for a set period. Once that period ends, then the manufacturer knows exactly how many orders to fulfill.

Is it super practical? No. But it was originally for niche items that never sold in high volumes anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

IMO they tried too hard to diversity into a million niches and it really fucked them over.  I'd rather they have focused on mechanical keyboard stuff than cooking or tech where their deals were usually Amazon + 3 months delay.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 5/3/2019 at 7:55 PM, S w a t s o n said:

Who thought this was a good idea?

Marketing people.

Who as far as I can tell, are the most bat-shit insane, completely out of touch, people in the world.

The same kind of idiots who think this

https://www.pcgamer.com/electronic-arts-says-the-old-way-of-releasing-games-doesnt-work-anymore/

"No no no, the problem with anthem was the way it was released! It surely couldn't be gross mismanagement and a toxic culture created by the producer-developer relationship being completely one sided"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I have to say I'm kinda upset about this. I always hoped they'd expand their group buy platform to the UK so we could get the same stuff but not have to pay ridiculous shipping costs. Now they're just another online retailer dealing in expensive tech and going up against Amazon.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

* Thread cleaned *

Lets try to focus on the topic subject instead or arguing the definition of a word.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Ive bern wanting to try them but now no way the stuff is too expensive

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |