Epic acquires Psyonix, will stop selling Rocket League on Steam

Looks like Epic Games has chosen to acquire another launcher exclusive in the form of acquiring Psyonix, the studio notably behind "Rocket League".

As such, Rocket League will no longer be available for purchase on Steam once it's available on the Epic Games Store.

If you already own it on Steam you should be able to keep it on your account and continue receiving updates, but if the deal finalizes, then going forward, it will have to be purchased through the Epic Games Store for on PC.

The company has acquired Rocket League creator Psyonix for an unspecified amount, and will bring the vehicular soccer game to the Epic Games Store by late in 2019. You can likely guess what's happening next, though -- Epic is expected to halt sales of Rocket League on Steam. You should still have access if you already own the game, but newcomers will have no choice but to turn to Epic's portal.

As per Rocket League's announcement, it hasn't yet fully finalized, but:

NOTE: This transaction remains subject to customary closing conditions. Epic and Psyonix currently expect to close the acquisition near the end of May to early June 2019.

EDIT:
Adding this in to source it.

As per GameInformer's arcticle, Epic stated to them:

Update (3:03 p.m. CT): Epic has confirmed that Rocket League will still be supported on Steam, but will no longer be for sale once it launches on the Epic Games Store.

"The PC version of Rocket League will come to the Epic Games store in late 2019," Epic replied. "In the meantime, it will continue to be available for purchase on Steam; thereafter it will continue to be supported on Steam for all existing purchasers."

Sources:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/01/epic-buys-psyonix/

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/psyonix-is-joining-the-epic-family-/

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/05/01/epic-games-acquires-rocket-league-developer-psyonix

This just doesn't sit well with me. Once again stupidity (of 10 year old fortnite players) is causing nasty market dominance like this.

I don't want to live in a world where we have Nvidia getting away with murder, Amazon controlling planet earth and Epic Games dominating the gaming market. No no and more no..

So ummm....

what about all the mods and workshop maps that are already on Steam?

Will this return to Steam after a year?

How does this make any sense since Rocket League have been on Steam for years?

Can I invite someone who plays on EPIC account when I play on Steam account?

Just now, WereCat said:

So ummm....

what about all the mods and workshop maps that are already on Stream?

Probably the same thing that happened to Phoenix Point (kind off). Everything that is on Steam will stay no Steam, they will just stop selling it and I assume remove the page. And of course you can bet your ass no cross platform play. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

So ummm....

what about all the mods and workshop maps that are already on Steam?

Can I invite someone who plays on EPIC account when I play on Steam account?

Despite all of these being good questions, none were addressed by Psyonix/Rocket League or Epic Games. So that's a "maybe they'll issue a statement, but if not, wait and see".

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

They pulled a few.  I think Crysis 3, ME 3, and some nobody cared about.

You do not notice a huge difference here?

EA: Puts their own latest games in those franchises on their own store

EPIC: Buys a massively popular game that has been on Steam for 4 years just to lock it to their platform

It's weird arguing like EA is the good guy. 

EDIT: Seems like Rocket League is staying on Steam... for now

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/epic-promises-support-for-rocket-league-on-all-platforms-no-announced-plans-to-pull-it-from-steam

Edited by Bouzoo

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

They pulled a few.  I think Crysis 3, ME 3, and some nobody cared about.

I think Origin came out well before those games were released, so it was likely they were never considered for Steam anyway.

Where do they say that they will stop selling the product on steam? Psyonix has said nothing on this via there blog post. 

2 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

Where do they say that they will stop selling the product on steam? Psyonix has said nothing on this via there blog post. 

Updated post to source it.

See this statement from Epic in an article on GameInformer:

Update (3:03 p.m. CT): Epic has confirmed that Rocket League will still be supported on Steam, but will no longer be for sale once it launches on the Epic Games Store.

"The PC version of Rocket League will come to the Epic Games store in late 2019," Epic replied. "In the meantime, it will continue to be available for purchase on Steam; thereafter it will continue to be supported on Steam for all existing purchasers."

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/05/01/epic-games-acquires-rocket-league-developer-psyonix

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

They pulled a few.  I think Crysis 3, ME 3, and some nobody cared about.  But, Epic has Unreal Tournament 3 Black, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Gold, & Unreal 2: The Awakening on Steam. 

Oh boy if they pull these games from GOG, then I'll go absolutely ballistic...

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Is EA  even a developer, though?  I mean technically these are their own games now.  But, like EA had pulled some stuff they had bought over the years from Steam to push their own storefront it's just nobody cared about them.  Crytek was bought by EA, and EA stopped publishing games by them to Steam.  

EA is the publisher of all of those games and owners of most of those studios. Crytek is a strategic partner with EA, EA doesn't own them. Crysis 2 was pulled from Steam and later returned as Crysis 2 Maximum Edition. Crysis 3 was never published on Steam. 

So why not, if the Epic platform is "better", keep the game for sale on Steam and offer it on Epic? Why possibly fragment a community like this?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You do not notice a huge difference here?

EA: Puts their own latest games in those franchises on their own store

EPIC: Buys a massively popular game that has been on Steam for 4 years just to lock it to their platform

It's weird arguing like EA is the good guy. 

EA good???

Just now, Nowak said:

EA good???

Key word, like

No!!! I resisted Epic for this long!!! RIP all my DLC ?

Just now, Lurick said:

So why not, if the Epic platform is "better", keep the game for sale on Steam and offer it on Epic? Why possibly fragment a community like this?

To push their own store in popularity. That is all there is. I reckon Epic is targeting even more popular e-sport title like games. CS:GO and Dota are form Valve, so... ARK and PUBG?

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

So, I did some research as to why EA pulled their newer titles.  It wasn't even to compete it's literally because EA doesn't like Valve's DLC policy.

Not sure if you ever checked DLCs for ME3, but don't. You'll go bankrupt just by looking at them (they released a pack which is still not the best solution but it's something I suppose).

But that is not the point here. Literally no one ever did such an aggressive move like this. I reckon not even Tencent would be so extreme. 

And no, I don't even own Rocket League, I couldn't care less about the game, it's about the principle. 

I've never played Fortnite, I hate everything about it, but Rocket League is a game that I always come back to every few months so this news has me pretty nervous. I feel like the drop rate of good stuff from crates was already suspect and this certainly isn't going to help.