"Alienware's Steam Machine will not be upgradable, new model every 12 months"

TopWargamer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/21/alienwares-steam-machine-will-not-be-upgradable-new-model-every-12-months/

From the many Steam Machine models unveiled at CES 2014, Alienware’s looked like one of the best. It was less of an eyesore, and Valve’s Greg Coomer himself has said that it's the machine "we think is actually going to serve the most customers and make the most Steam users happy." I bet these users will be less happy to find out that they can’t upgrade Alienware’s Steam Machine, which will instead just launch a new model every 12 months.

Wow, that really sucks that it won't be upgradable. At least there will be a new model every 12 months, but we all know that this is just a way for Alienware to make even more money. It's ridiculous that they wouldn't make it upgradable, but something tells me whenever somebody gets their hands on the Alienware Steam Machine that they'll find a way.

COMIC SANS

I want to see a company push form-factor much like Gigabyte has with their Brix pc's. Even if it does sacrifice upgradability.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Alienware is now officially the Apple of PC Gaming.

"Now" ?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Surprise surprise.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

People have gotten accustomed to the fact that most of our electronics can't be upgraded.. We buy laptops, smartphones, tablets, and game consoles. Why can't Alienware get the same treatment eh?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

they have always been the apple of Pc

Character artist in the Games industry.

*Cough* Razer *Cough*

I like Razer though ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Now I just want to get one of these to see what my soldering iron can do to the machine. It would be an interesting project to see what one would be able to cram in the machine

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Well, it used to be unofficial, and now it IS official. I can't wait for people who don't want to build a PC buy one of these every year.

You don't have to buy one every year though....

every 3 or 4 years probably to keep up with the ebb and flow of graphics technology but every year is silly.

Hail Sithis!

Let's not get all heated up and join the AW hate band wagon here. Back in the days, I asked Dell whether or not if I could upgrade my 6970M to the 7970M on my M17xR3. The tech supports said no ofc and advised that I buy their new model. But alas, thanks to le internet, I was able to find some guides on how to switch the GPUs.

Let's not get all heated up and join the AW hate band wagon here. Back in the days, I asked Dell whether or not if I could upgrade my 6970M to the 7970M on my M17xR3. The tech supports said no ofc and advised that I buy their new model. But alas, thanks to le internet, I was able to find some guides on how to switch the GPUs.

Alas... That word... I don't think it means what u think it means :unsure:

This is very unfortunate. Posted up on Facebook.

Who is this guy anyway?  :ph34r:

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

This is very unfortunate. Posted up on Facebook.

Honestly what makes this unfortunate?

Hail Sithis!

that you cant upgrade it 

bad news for gaben

that you cant upgrade it 

But the form factor makes it as such that it makes sense. it's small, specialized components are what allows that to be possible.

Hail Sithis!

The fact that it completely goes against Valve's goals with Steam Machines. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Except Apple's computers can be semi-upgradable.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5