"Alienware's Steam Machine will not be upgradable, new model every 12 months"

TopWargamer

The fact that it completely goes against Valve's goals with Steam Machines. 

Their goals included all different sizes of form factors. in order to achieve that sacrifices need to  be made. Valve knows that otherwise it's unrealistic expectations.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

What's to stop you from popping the hood and changing the gfx card? Is it simply a question of voiding the warranty?

What's to stop you from popping the hood and changing the gfx card? Is it simply a question of voiding the warranty?

Most likely it's soldered on like a lot of modern notebooks are. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Well, this makes it much simpler to decide for the end user.

Their goals included all different sizes of form factors. in order to achieve that sacrifices need to  be made. Valve knows that otherwise it's unrealistic expectations.

I'm not referring to form factors. Their primary goal with Steam Machines is to make the hardware completely open and upgradeable (doesn't have to be fully upgradeable, but it should at least support some upgrade options). If it's not upgradeable, period, it goes against Valve's goals. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

People have gotten accustomed to the fact that most of our electronics can't be upgraded.. We buy laptops, smartphones, tablets, and game consoles. Why can't Alienware get the same treatment eh?

Its a PC, not a mobile device.

I bet since they are going down this road, they won't be putting in a high-end card into the system. Just so people have to buy a new system every year or so, so they can enjoy games at optimal graphic settings.

Well, this has nothing to do with me anyway, I build my own gaming PC's, Compact to full desktop, doesn't matter. I never really liked Alienware anyway though, they are not about the customers, the End-User like Razer and similar companies are.

Honestly, Alienware is not even in the competition in my eyes. I can care less about what Alienware does or doesn't do, they always do things half assed, and never follow through with anything. Thats just my two cents, don't take it personally Alienware Fans.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

I'm not referring to form factors. Their primary goal with Steam Machines is to make the hardware completely open and upgradeable (doesn't have to be fully upgradeable, but it should at least support some upgrade options). If it's not upgradeable, period, it goes against Valve's goals. 

I guess that's the good thing about an open approach. Alienware is free to make a locked-down non-upgradable box if they want. But they are just one vendor... each vendor can bring their own vision. So this does not affect the platform as a whole. If there's a demand for upgradale machines market forces will dictate that other vendor step in to cater to that demand...

Its a PC, not a mobile device.

I bet since they are going down this road, they won't be putting in a high-end card into the system. Just so people have to buy a new system every year or so, so they can enjoy games at optimal graphic settings.

Well, this has nothing to do with me anyway, I build my own gaming PC's, Compact to full desktop, doesn't matter. I never really liked Alienware anyway though, they are not about the customers, the End-User like Razer and similar companies are.

If valve is targeting the couch type gamer and trying to win over console gamers there needs to be a dummy box. a box that doesn't need to be fucked with or upgraded.

Maybe there will be a high end card in the system, in order to do so they needed to customize it in order to fit the form.

Not everyone is comfortable or has the desire to build their own or upgrade their existing hardware. 

Hail Sithis!

If valve is targeting the couch type gamer and trying to win over console gamers there needs to be a dummy box. a box that doesn't need to be fucked with or upgraded.

Maybe there will be a high end card in the system, in order to do so they needed to customize it in order to fit the form.

Not everyone is comfortable or has the desire to build their own or upgrade their existing hardware. 

All of the other Steam Machines can be dummy boxes, they don't need to be tinkered with. I think most people are disappointed because just having the option to upgrade the Steam Machine would have been nice.

why do people even buy alienware?...Just cause they look nice? Overally priced, I usually find.

This has 2 sides...

1 - Cool! I have lots of friends who are not willing to get the work to upgrade their own gaming PCs, imagine a Steam machine full of Mini-ITX pieces!

2 - Crap! I want to build a small computer to be below my TV on the living room... But if i want to upgrade anything in order to run my games better (OR if ANYTHING FAILS) I'll have to change the whole Goddamn thing!

Why not both! Make it upgradable, and also release new ones oftenly!

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

The point is, there should of been at least an Option to upgrade it if you want to. I don't care who you are, where you work, how much money you make, Everyone likes to save money. Having the option to upgrade from HDD to SSD, GPU, etc.. would save the end-user a lot of money, by upgrading parts on your own, instead of buying a new system.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

Regardless of what is fact or fiction, I think the windows side of Microsoft should start worrying !
I would of moved to Linux along time ago, specially since Microsoft activation protocol in XP and onwards.
Gaming and compatibility is the only reason I've grudgingly stuck with Microsoft.
But the future, we have PC compatible version of Android, Linux backed by Steam & Steam encouraging
programmers to make Linux flavours as well as Windows, & now steam making a Free Linux kernel based OS with there own flavour of a GUI.
Windows Microsoft & lets face it Play Station & Xbox have a lot to worry about when you get a nice console looking pc that does the same and more,
But this is the different part, marketed at console gamers as a real alternative to the locked spec consoles

Just out of interest, has any one hacked the PS4, Xbox One and put Windows, Linux or dual boot on them yet ?

would be nice to see a gaming grade laptop with Steam on it :) I would like to see that.

Will the be steam tested and recommended drivers (like Windows) to make sure all games sold by steam are compatible ?

*Cough* Razer *Cough*

I like Razer though ;)

Razer has mainly made peripherals, it's stepping into the PC world but their new prototype P.C is far from not upgradeable. Hell it's actually super easy. 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

What people didn't know this already?  In the specs at CES they already said that it was going to have a mobile GPU in it.  Considering that it will actually be the smallest Steambox (by quite a bit) though, imo this is acceptable.

How is this even possible I thought Valve wanted the Steam Machines to be of a size of a console yet remaining what a PC is e.g. customisable... and then Alienware comes in and does this.

Alienware is now officially the Apple of PC Gaming.

That's how Alienware always been tho =/

This has 2 sides...

1 - Cool! I have lots of friends who are not willing to get the work to upgrade their own gaming PCs, imagine a Steam machine full of Mini-ITX pieces!

2 - Crap! I want to build a small computer to be below my TV on the living room... But if i want to upgrade anything in order to run my games better (OR if ANYTHING FAILS) I'll have to change the whole Goddamn thing!

Why not both! Make it upgradable, and also release new ones oftenly!

by making it upgradable and release knew ones there shooting themselves in the foot cause its alot cheaper to upgrade gpu for example instead of a whole new system, and for the people who cant be bothered upgrading there own, im sure if it resulted in saving "so and so" amount of money they would. 

Linus, as well as everyone here

why dont you read the fuckin article before going ape shit?

The Dell-owned company has yet to release an exact price and system specifications for its Steam Machine, but it did say that it will run on an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU, and compete with next-gen console pricing.

As we've noted before, if you like Windows and the option to customize your machine, at that point you might as well buy one of Alienware’s small-form-factor X51 machines, which start at $700.

Even Azor agrees with us. “If you actually want to customize your Alienware Steam Machine, maybe change your graphics card out or put in a new CPU, you would be better off with the standard Alienware X51,” he tells TrustedReviews.

Jeez why don't people actually read the info instead of reading headlines and flipping their lids.

Razer has mainly made peripherals, it's stepping into the PC world but their new prototype P.C is far from not upgradeable. Hell it's actually super easy. 

Was actually talking about them being the actual Apple of Windows :mellow:

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Its just like apple

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Its just like apple

Or kiwi! no...? Nevermind.

Was actually talking about them being the actual Apple of Windows :mellow:

Sorry, that was confusing. But fair enough.. ^^ 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

*Cough* Razer *Cough*

I like Razer though ;)

Razer treats its customers well and the ceo does alot.... Products are not always the greatest but atleast they are gentle as they metaphorically bend you on the table... Alienware is like old elite tv's they offer nothing other than a logo