"Alienware's Steam Machine will not be upgradable, new model every 12 months"

TopWargamer

How can they even hope to make money considering this type of platform? Buying an alienware PC is fairly stupid in the first place, but if anyone buys this then they obviously have way more money than sense. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

Hmm. Damn sexy though, so I guess that's a plus. 

That is one thing that Alienware at least gets right...

COMIC SANS

Not sure why anyone would buy this

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

So.... it uses mobile parts like a laptop.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Its just like apple

Wrong

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Rumors...rumors...

Alienware said that their Steam Machine's price would be competitive with the next gen consoles. With that in mind, they likely wouldn't sell it for too much more than the next gen consoles, if it costs more than the xbox one in the first place.

The x51 was upgradable and that's a small form factor desktop. Why not this one?

Because This one is much smaller than the x51. Heck, the thing is only 1 inch larger on each side than a Mini-itx motherboard. In order to fit the cpu and gpu in the machine, they likely made a their own custom motherboard, with the gpu at prossibly the cpu soldered on. Additionally, seeing as they are probably doing all that they can to get the price competitive with the consoles, they probably only have one sku, which would be what I'm assuming the lack of customization options comment came from.

Now if they were to solder on the ram to the motherboard, and have some weird proprietary hard drive, I'd find that confusing, but I can easily see why they would have the GPU, and maybe the CPU be non-upgradeable.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

wwoooww that is so dumb, i like alien ware but this is a bad move on thier part :(

cpu: 3570k cooler: H100i m/b: Asus Maximus V Formula ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance gpu: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DCUII ssd: Samsung 840 pro hdd: WD Black 2tb case: CMStorm Stryker psu:  Corsair AX860 

I think it is unfortunate, as upgradability is a strength of PCs. However, I do understand why they are doing this and I think it is a product worth making.

There are those that do not wish upgrade and just want a console-like pc, this could suit them well. The yearly refresh is to keep the model updated given a price point.

Those wishing for an upgradeable PC, are likely going to build it themselves, and an Alienware steambox wouldn't likely serve them anyways. Those who wish for an upgradeable steambox and do not want to perform the initial build will have to get by with another builder, or Alienware might have something for that market.

So while it is unfortunate, it's not necessarily a bad decision. The only problem might be a too undesirable price/performance.

I think alienware's steam machine would have been perfect if it had a amd a10 7850k with 8 gigs of 1866 or 2133 ram and was upgrade-able that way every time a new more powerful apu come's out you can upgrade to it, Who agree's?   

Those wishing for an upgradeable PC, are likely going to build it themselves, and an Alienware steambox wouldn't likely serve them anyways.

This is true. But even among the casual crowd it's likely that somebody would buy an Alienware and then 4 years down the line want to upgrade the gfx card (somebody will recommend it). So it's restrictive. This kind of strategy can work in a closed market like consoles where the user has no option but to buy from the same vendor. But this is an open market; steam machines are PCs, so there will be other vendors providing upgradability making Alienware look bad.

How much more money do they want

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

The x51 was upgradable and that's a small form factor desktop. Why not this one?

cause its even SMALLER

So.... it uses mobile parts like a laptop.

We aint sure yet

Not sure why anyone would buy this

*cough* dirty console scum *cough* but srsly it would be console gamers that have a bit more money but want to still sit on the couch

so they need small form factor.

wwoooww that is so dumb, i like alien ware but this is a bad move on thier part :(

Only time will tell, if it is at the price of consoles it's a right move

I think alienware's steam machine would have been perfect if it had a amd a10 7850k with 8 gigs of 1866 or 2133 ram and was upgrade-able that way every time a new more powerful apu come's out you can upgrade to it, Who agree's?   

no, they've got the X51 for the upgradeable side of things and they would be crazy to put amd in there (no offence to amd but have you seen all their pcs, it's INTEL INTEL INTEL!

Lol, this product kinda contradicts this product of theirs... http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx

Not kidding, you can upgrade these and they are probably a little bit bigger.

THIS IS FUCKING TINY COMPARED TO THE X51!!!

This is true. But even among the casual crowd it's likely that somebody would buy an Alienware and then 4 years down the line want to upgrade the gfx card (somebody will recommend it). So it's restrictive. This kind of strategy can work in a closed market like consoles where the user has no option but to buy from the same vendor. But this is an open market; steam machines are PCs, so there will be other vendors providing upgradability making Alienware look bad.

Yep. That open market kinda makes this not such a big deal, and people should relax about it.

Alienware is now officially the Apple of PC Gaming.

Without the OS or software to justify the pricing. 

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Big whoop I imagine those peoe who would want to upgrade their steam machine substatially would just build their own. As for a new model every year I wouldnt doubt if every brand did that.