I'm in GAMER HEAVEN

nicklmg

Gamergasm?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

TL;DW:

HP Omen X Emperium Big Format Gaming Display - Basically a TV meant for living-room gaming.

Specs:

• 65 inch
  • 4K (3840x2160 UHD)
  • GSync Ultimate (i.e. GSync + HDR)
  • 120Hz at full 4k res, can be easily overclocked to 144Hz in the menu with no apparent issues
  • Ultra-low input lag (Full chain from mouse to pixel response measured at ~34ms avg, ranging from ~29ms to ~42ms, with display lag less than that)
  • Built-in Nvidia Shield TV

Upsides:

• Professional-grade color accuracy/range out of the box
  • "Feels like a gaming monitor"
  • Motion-activated lightbar on the I/O plugs
  • Included soundbar, can be optionally mounted to the TV
  • Easy to wall-mount

Downsides:

• Not the absolute best for movie-watching black level-wise but still good
  • Not much to differentiate spec-wise from other Nvidia-branded BFGDs coming out recently
  • Mounting the soundbar to the TV is a major pain, not recommended unless wall-mounting
  • Thick/heavy compared to normal TVs nowadays
  • Included soundbar didn't really need to be there, as you'd normally buy good speakers with this kind of thing anyway
  • Weird color distortion at the edges/corners when looking at white/bright background
  • Noticeable vertical banding/halo issues with local dimming on
  • Bad distortion when looking at an angle
  • 10-12 sec time to turn on
  • No Dolby Vision
  • $5,000

Conclusion: Incredible large gaming monitor, only "pretty good" for movies. Only recommended if you need something like this RIGHT THIS SECOND and dropping $5,000 on it is no biggie. In any other case, recommended to wait even just one year, when a lot of these input-lag-reducing features are going to show up on normal mainstream TVs for a much lower cost. Also, it'll start to maybe become reasonable to push 4K 120 fps out of games then anyway.

21 minutes ago, kuhnertdm said:

-snip-

I appreciate you for this

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Linus really needs to do some research on the input lag of modern tvs.

It's not any slower than a regular 60Hz monitor.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Linus really needs to do some research on the input lag of modern tvs.

It's not any slower than a regular 60Hz monitor.

Presumably if you're upgrading your TV you don't own one you bought last week?

Did we say something incorrect?

10 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Presumably if you're upgrading your TV you don't own one you bought last week?

Did we say something incorrect?

Maybe the fact that the screenshot showing the input lag of tvs is showing models from 2013 with 70-100ms of input lag.

Just propagating the "all tvs suck for gaming because of high input lag" myth.

Most modern tvs from the past few years are sub 20ms, just like a normal 60hz monitor.

Even some older ones still have really low input lag, if you check rtings.com

If someone wants to game on a tv with low input lag they do not need to spend $5000 on a "gaming tv", they can get a $500 one with input lag just as low as a monitor, as long as they are satisfied with 60hz.

You don't need a tv purchased in the past week to have low input lag.

You also don't need to upgrade to a BFGD if you want low input lag, you can upgrade to a regular tv that's 10x cheaper.

The main benefit of the BFGD is 120Hz at 4k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not only do you need to be fairly rich to afford a $5000 display, you also need to have powerful GPUs to be able to game at 4k 144Hz on stuff other than minecraft and csgo.

If someone wants a low input lag 4k display that costs 1/10th the price, just go to rtings and do some research on regular 60Hz tvs, you will find plenty of cheap options with really low input lag from 15-25ms.

Some higher end options also have variable refresh rate (not gsync though)

Spoiler

Why on earth would anyone buy that over that like $1200-1500 Wasabi Mango 4k 120hz display?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Maybe the fact that the screenshot showing the input lag of tvs is showing models from 2013 with 70-100ms of input lag.

Just propagating the "all tvs suck for gaming because of high input lag" myth.

Most modern tvs from the past few years are sub 20ms, just like a normal 60hz monitor.

Even some older ones still have really low input lag, if you check rtings.com

If someone wants to game on a tv with low input lag they do not need to spend $5000 on a "gaming tv", they can get a $500 one with input lag just as low as a monitor, as long as they are satisfied with 60hz.

You don't need a tv purchased in the past week to have low input lag.

You also don't need to upgrade to a BFGD if you want low input lag, you can upgrade to a regular tv that's 10x cheaper.

The main benefit of the BFGD is 120Hz at 4k.

Yeah we're well-aware of rtings, and given the typical TV upgrade cycle, I don't think 5 years is an unreasonable timeframe.

Also, there are plenty of TVs from the last few years that have ass-tons of delay and make for a TERRIBLE gaming experience. 

The other benefit is G-SYNC, which we still can't get on other variable refresh rate TVs since it's limited to DP.

I dunno. I see why you're mad, but I think you're focusing on waht we didn't say vs what we actually DID. It's not like we recommended this thing as the only option for big screen gaming.

Maybe a dedicated piece on cheaper low input lag TVs is in order though.

32 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why on earth would anyone buy that over that like $1200-1500 Wasabi Mango 4k 120hz display?

Oh man... they aren't even on the same planet...

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy Freesync TVs on Amazon: https://geni.us/NDFKDFB

Buy HP Omen X Emperium on HPstore: https://geni.us/ZVw8gU

This is absolutely disgracfull.(not the vid, the product)

What a total and utter ripoff. That is over 2 times the price it could arguably get away with though which even that would be still be overpriced.

Now onto the tech side of things.

You didnt mention pixel response. Let me tell u straight up, there is no f'ing way a VA panel, especialy a TV VA panel which is what that uses, is going to be anywhere near fast enough for 120hz let alone 144. It may run at 120hz but those pixels WILL be blurring, ruining the 4k crispness and the advantage of 120hz+ fps. VA is NOT fast enough.

Next, as u pointed out, u have viewing angle problems, another problem with VA. Next the QA on this panel is obviosly bad with such terrible uniformity.

The FALD on it is also poor at only 384, resulting in obvious haloing.

As for the touted input latency, well I will point out that u can get sub $600 tv's with below 25ms input latency, and with good measurements in other areas aswell. You will just ge missing adaptive sync and 120hz.

So, r u really ok spending 8 times the price and sacrificing on other areas, just for 120hz, and adaptive sync?

This is a product designed to milk the ignorant, such a waste, and such a let down.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

you're focusing on waht we didn't say vs what we actually DID

waht

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Might be worth just doing a round up to compare all the BFGs in the future, starting with the wasabi mango one, I assume they'll have an updated version soon though?

This is very important to include as well.

BFG.jpg.4c568a85f8dc2ffda4b5a978a6c7c84a.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

48 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah we're well-aware of rtings, and given the typical TV upgrade cycle, I don't think 5 years is an unreasonable timeframe.

Also, there are plenty of TVs from the last few years that have ass-tons of delay and make for a TERRIBLE gaming experience. 

The other benefit is G-SYNC, which we still can't get on other variable refresh rate TVs since it's limited to DP.

I dunno. I see why you're mad, but I think you're focusing on waht we didn't say vs what we actually DID. It's not like we recommended this thing as the only option for big screen gaming.

Maybe a dedicated piece on cheaper low input lag TVs is in order though.

Yeah, it just seems like the video is saying "if you want low latency, you need to get a BFGD tv" which isn't true.

If someone is fine with 60Hz there are much cheaper low latency upgrade options, it just takes a few minutes of research.

A video on that would be beneficial.

I'm not mad, just annoyed at the huge amount of people that think you can't game on a tv, because then its a ton of explaining for me to do.

PS- freesync is starting to be available on some tvs now too, since it works over HDMI. Another thing that rtings is super useful for finding out about.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

"I'm in GAMER HEAVEN" is not a real title.

You're right.

It's a clickbait title.?

Won’t visit often..

So...we sell these at Microcenter. We even have one on display. All I can say is, for the people dropping 7-10k on custom gaming builds and were going to buy two or three 4k144hz HDR monitors anyway, the price is a non issue. Just because you and me can't afford them doesn't mean they are a price people aren't willing to pay ;)

Will agree with @LinusTech, though. I wanna take it home and use the hell out of it. Anthem looks gorgeous in 4kHDR.

Oh man. That Rollercoaster Tycoon notification sound effect sent me right back in time.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

Spending $5000 it must be OLED or better, no VA LCD panel is worth that much.

GSYNC in the living room is actually a negative, as freesync would make it work with consoles and pc (Nvidia and AMD).

All of you are seeming to miss the point of this TV and it's market. First of all it is the first of its kind released. HP can set any price they want and when they other models come out they can start being competitive. I fully expect the price to be reduced. HP just set the bar as high as high as they wanted to try and get the few ballers that enjoy the latest and greatest.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

8 hours ago, MetEishYa said:

Spending $5000 it must be OLED or better, no VA LCD panel is worth that much.

GSYNC in the living room is actually a negative, as freesync would make it work with consoles and pc (Nvidia and AMD).

OLED has latency issues and would be bad idea due to burn-in for a PC monitor (especially gaming realted) where there are tons of on screen elements that do not change often.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

14 hours ago, LinusTech said:

It seems like a great display, and I'd definitely want one but Indeed it's also quite expensive. 

However if I may suggest another cheaper also quality alternative, I'd recommend looking at a Sony 65XE9005, I've been using one for about a year now. These panels can run 1080p 120hz with HDR. They can be had for about 1200-1600 euros (probably similar in dollars) which is about or less than 1/4 of the price.

Overall this model is pretty good, great colors, deep blacks etc, it's not 1000 nits, but it's close enough for the price. And sure it misses some functions like g-sync etc.

Edited by kuraai