Crackdown on Facial Recognition software in Victorian (Australia) Schools

theDarkPotato

The Minister for Education in Victoria (Australia) is cracking down on the use of facial recognition technology in schools, arguing that the risk of privacy makes him "uncomfortable".

Facial regonition scanners would be installed in a classroom and scan faces, mark the rollcall and checking them against school records. If a student goes missing a notification would be sent to the Teacher.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/minority-report-crackdown-on-facial-recognition-technology-in-schools-20181005-p5080p.html

@theDarkPotato your post does not meet the guidelines, please update it accordingly;

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

~Source: 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, there would be more Aussie news if your spiders would stop killing the messengers.

Thanks, now there's beer everywhere.

Seriously though

Facial regonition scanners would be installed in a classroom and scan faces, mark the rollcall and checking them against school records. If a student goes missing a notification would be sent to the Teacher.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On what hand, it could be a great system that instantly reacts to kids playing hooky, but on the other hand it's a terrible invasion of privacy and they'll no doubt the irresponsible with the data.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

According to the article hes not cracking down on anything just sent information to schools about privacy concerns and such.

Cracking down would actually mean complete halt of the implementation/tests and removal of the project and its budget.

Anyway all the world is moving to a dystopian social credit system, in the near future i will wear caps/sunglasses everywere year round, i already stopped using my real name for anything online, games, emails etc. If its gets as bad as china i will wear makeup.

People are too soft/asleep to stop the incoming technology dominated dystopian future, so sad.

Information Commissioner Sven Bluemmel said the compromising of children's privacy appeared to outweigh the benefits of the technology.

What benefit is there to begin with? It saves a minute or two at the start of the day doing roll call? Is that it?

What a waste of money this would be.

Worst of all this is un-bloody-Australian. Chucking the occasional sicky is part of Australian culture.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This technology already exists, its called teachers doing their jobs. 

Damn. In the US it's illegal to even have a camera inside a classroom. Teachers can get ass fucked for it. I don't think minors should be "scanned" or video'd like this. It's different if you have security camera's in the main hall ways and parking lots. But that's as far a I'm comfortable with personally. I don't see why this sort of implementation is even being considered. Did they hire Helen Keller to do roll call? For real, this isn't going to help catch people who skip school or even go missing. That's what a teacher's first job of the damn day is.

In my experience, school officials and employees generally don't care and have no idea what is going on, or how anything works.

From the top to the bottom.

Edit: I would like to add that I am speaking from professional experience, not just experience as a student.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

That is a wierd way of writing China......

rise up

3anFuKE.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

41 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't think minors should be "scanned" or video'd like this.

why?

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

why?

Simply because they're underage, hence the term minor. Working at a school for five years (closer to six) it just doesn't sit right with me, that's all.

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Simply because they're underage, hence the term minor. Working at a school for five years (closer to six) it just doesn't sit right with me, that's all.

That doesn't really answer the question.
"i'm against kids eating apples" "why?" "because they are underaged."
see? Doesn't really make sense.

16 minutes ago, poochyena said:

That doesn't really answer the question.
"i'm against kids eating apples" "why?" "because they are underaged."
see? Doesn't really make sense.

We're talking about the privacy of children here. You really want some creeps spying on your kids all day? I'm not the only one that thinks this, hence this thread.

29 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

or some hacker turns it into a pedo paradise?

literally what

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Worst of all this is un-bloody-Australian. Chucking the occasional sicky is part of Australian culture.

Let the kids skip class and go wild, just like the convicts that were first put there!

/s please don't kill me, Australian people.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, huilun02 said:

Have any idea whos gonna be interested to exploit that?

No, I genuinely don't. Please go on and explain.

I think the electronic roll would be better served with a finger print scanner instead of facial recognition. It would be cheaper to implement too.

11 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Let the kids skip class and go wild, just like the convicts that were first put there!

/s please don't kill me, Australian people.

You know the English sent convicts to the US decades before they sent them to Australia. In fact they sent about 54,000 to the US.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

You know the English sent convicts to the US decades before they sent them to Australia. In fact they sent about 54,000 to the US.

Ok? I guess my point was that convicts were put on Australia. If I worded it badly, I didn't mean Australia was the first country that had convicts sent to it. 

I didn't know that, I do like learning new things about history so thank you!

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

Ok? I guess my point was that convicts were put on Australia. If I worded it badly, I didn't mean Australia was the first country that had convicts sent to it. 

I didn't know that, I do like learning new things about history so thank you!

r/todayilearned

✨FNIGE✨