Careful what you say! FaceTime bug allows users to hear audio before accepting the call.

suits

There’s a serious bug in Apple’s FaceTime video calling platform that has been bouncing around some corners of social media today: you can call somebody via FaceTime and listen to their phone’s microphone regardless of whether the person you’re calling picks up.

This is potentially a very bad and embarrassing bug.

Imagine your boss calling you, and before you answer you tell your friends, "ugh, my POS boss is calling."

Among many other possibilities. But it even gets worse.

If the recipient dismisses, it will also share video without answering

So if you don't pick up, it will still share video.

Here is how to do it:

9to5Mac has reproduced the FaceTime bug with an iPhone X calling an iPhone XR, but it is believed to affect any pair of iOS devices running iOS 12.1 or later.

Here’s how to do the iPhone FaceTime bug:

Start a FaceTime Video call with an iPhone contact.
Whilst the call is dialling, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap Add Person.
Add your own phone number in the Add Person screen.
You will then start a group FaceTime call including yourself and the audio of the person you originally called, even if they haven’t accepted the call yet.
It will look like in the UI like the other person has joined the group chat, but on their actual device it will still be ringing on the lockscreen.

Apple says the issue will be addressed in a software update “later this week"

More and more bugs in iOS, this one Apple will fix by the end of the week.

--------------------------------------------

You should most certainly disable FaceTime for the time being if you are concerned with privacy (my wife is literally the only person who would video chat me).

Instruction to do so can be found here: Disable FaceTime

On an iOS device, open “Settings” again. Scroll down a bit until you see “FaceTime” and select it. This part is simple: Tap the green button on the top row, which will toggle FaceTime off. 

https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/28/facetime-bug-hear-audio/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/28/18201383/apple-facetime-bug-iphone-eavesdrop-listen-in-remote-call-security-issue

oof... please dont let it go down with what happened to pixel 3

please no apple

✨FNIGE✨

9to5Mac contacted Apple for comment prior to publishing.

"Oh, shit. Those assholes at 9to5Mac are trying to facetime us again. What the hell do they want now?... Don't answer, just ignore them and they'll go away." said a media representative from Apple.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I must be tired, I got nearly to the end of the OP when I realised I was reading facbook video calling not facetime.

Clearly from how I felt about it I must expect it from facebook but not apple.  Just goes to show though, shit still happens regardless how many engineers and how much QC you throw at something,

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

38 minutes ago, suits said:

More and more bugs in iOS

I'd say iOS 12 is perhaps the least buggy iOS release. Imo, it's way ahead of the trainwreck that is iOS 11. Also, security bugs are something common because anything compiled by man will have imperfections. Also, I actually commend Apple that by the end of the week the security bug would be fixed unlike Facebook that has vulnerabilities that persists for months. [source]

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I'd say iOS 12 is perhaps the least buggy iOS release. Imo, it's way ahead of the trainwreck that is iOS 11. Also, security bugs are something common because anything compiled by man will have imperfections. Also, I actually commend Apple that by the end of the week the security bug would be fixed unlike Facebook that has vulnerabilities that persists for months. [source]

Eh, there have been more than acceptable buds causing phones not to work, cell service not to work, WiFi not to work, ios12 has been pretty bad too

Apple iOS 12.1.2 Causes iPhones WiFi Problems

Apple iOS 12.1.2 Is Breaking Some Cellular Data

We would not update to iOS 12.1.2 — at least until Apple can ensure that iPhones won’t be rendered useless in the process.

iPhone Owners Irate After iOS Update Bricks Cellular Data

This problem won't affect me... as no one ever calls me... FeelsBadMan

Jokes aside, imagine your wife calls you during a game. "Damn stupid wife's calling. One sec bois. Need to pretend to be doing something productive." Guess who's sleeping on the sofa tonight? [insert sofa ad]

99% of the time I don't answer because I'm on the toilet so I feel sorry for what they hear. 

2 hours ago, suits said:

FaceTime

Never heard of FaceTime, are they doing the same as huawai?

14 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Never heard of FaceTime, are they doing the same as huawai?

It's the "cool, smart, hip" term apple use for video calling.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

well i never use FaceTime so i just disabled it. it is an embarrassing bug though. 

She/Her

Well not the best thing to happen for a company that says that its mobile OS is very secure.

Those things happen all the time, but really they should not happen.

It's pretty embarrassing, especially given the CES ad about privacy, though there is that fix coming later in the week.  Apple also disabled Group FaceTime remotely, so you can't try it even if you want to.

It's a good thing Android doesn't have an OS-level FaceTime equivalent (Google Duo is the closest you get).  If it did, you'd probably be waiting weeks or months to get a fix for an issue like this.

4 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

Well not the best thing to happen for a company that says that its mobile OS is very secure.

Those things happen all the time, but really they should not happen.

It’s not a security flaw as much as it is a flaw in the implementation of FaceTime conference calls. 

There is a reason it was axed. Apple claims they shut down the Conference call servers but there must be at least 1 operating somewhere for this to still happen. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

OP should have included that you can disable FaceTime in settings to eliminate the bug in the meantime that Apple works on a fix. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

23 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

oof... please dont let it go down with what happened to pixel 3

please no apple

What happened to the pixel 3?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

19 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s not a security flaw as much as it is a flaw in the implementation of FaceTime conference calls. 

That's just semantics. Someone being potentially able to use your smartphone to spy on you, is a security issue.

the problem is with group facetime, and apple shut that down server side yesterday.

Also apparently some teen is apparently responsible for finding the issue.. his mom had put together a letter and sent it to apple a few days before but they didn't respond.. saw some ppl mad about that on twitter. also ppl saying the kid should get the bug bounty

the should patch this soon in theory

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

the problem is with group facetime, and apple shut that down server side yesterday.

Also apparently some teen is apparently responsible for finding the issue.. his mom had put together a letter and sent it to apple a few days before but they didn't respond.. saw some ppl mad about that on twitter. also ppl saying the kid should get the bug bounty

the should patch this soon in theory

They've promised a fix later in the week.  The issue shouldn't have been there in the first place, of course, but at least we won't be waiting weeks for a fix.