Samsung RTX4080 - Nvidia partners with Samsung to produce 7nm GPUs

rcmaehl
4 hours ago, Chad The Greats said:

What market doesn't Samsung participate in now?

Per Wikipedia: 

Notable Samsung industrial affiliates include Samsung Electronics (the world's largest information technology company, consumer electronics maker and chipmaker measured by 2017 revenues),[5][6] Samsung Heavy Industries(the world's 2nd largest shipbuilder measured by 2010 revenues),[7] and Samsung Engineering and Samsung C&T (respectively the world's 13th and 36th largest construction companies).[8] Other notable subsidiaries include Samsung Life Insurance (the world's 14th largest life insurance company),[9] Samsung Everland (operator of Everland Resort, the oldest theme park in South Korea)[10] and Cheil Worldwide (the world's 15th largest advertising agency measured by 2012 revenues).[11][12]

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Did nvidia say they were releasing any new gpus in 2019? We had Pascal for a long time so it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up waiting till 2020 to release their next line of gpus. 

The way things are going they will release several versions of the 1150, 2050, 1650 and 21.50-50ti with optional cup holder in 2019.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Good idea to dual source GPU since TSMC 7 nm is at full capacity right now.

But given Samsung's track record in chip fabrication, I really doubt it.

Apple A9 used both TSMC and Samsung back in 2015, yet the battery life of the 14 nm Samsung version consistently lose to the 16 nm TSMC version under heavy load, indicating a higher power draw.

Also, GlobalFoundry used Samsung 12/14 nm technology, and Ryzen 1st/2nd gen are just not as efficient as Intel counterpart.

And finally, Samsung stole technology from TSMC.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

*breaks after 6mo use*

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Good idea to dual source GPU since TSMC 7 nm is at full capacity right now.

But given Samsung's track record in chip fabrication, I really doubt it.

Apple A9 used both TSMC and Samsung back in 2015, yet the battery life of the 14 nm Samsung version consistently lose to the 16 nm TSMC version under heavy load, indicating a higher power draw.

Also, GlobalFoundry used Samsung 12/14 nm technology, and Ryzen 1st/2nd gen are just not as efficient as Intel counterpart.

And finally, Samsung stole technology from TSMC.

That's generally the case when you make a design based on one fab's tech then port across to another, or you take a node designed for a purpose and push it slightly outside of that. Most of what Samsung does is low power and low clocks. In much the same way Intel mostly does high power high clocks and designs based on those don't have good minimum power draw and efficiencies, Intel uses different fab tech for the really low power stuff.

The Nvidia dies fab'd at TSMC have actually been customized for them, Nvidia has invested a lot of money in to their TSMC partnership. Dual sourcing is not actually good for top end performance. Nvidia can/could do the same with Samsung and their 7nm technology.

Nvidia hasn't yet invest in any company for custom 7nm technologies so now would be the time to switch their fab partner if they want to. TSMC has some important business factors Nvidia needs to consider, AMD is going to be primary sourcing 7nm GPUs from them now and AMD will also be primary sourcing CPUs too. With the news of big HPC partnerships with AMD and the prospects of EPYC2 and even Ryzen 3 being as good as they are that means significant demand increase for TSMC fab time. The other part about AMD GPUs is important as well, any 7nm investment in to TSMC is also going to filter in to AMD and is pretty much unavoidable other than moving away from TSMC. A lot of the reason Nvidia GPUs are so much more power efficient isn't because their architecture is just that much better it's also that the node they are using is customized for them and GPUs, more so than GloFo and AMD are doing.

TSMC may be the best and have the best tech fab technology from the available choices but other factors may prevent you from using them or having them as the best option. Samsung is not uncharted waters for Nvidia either as they already fab GPUs their, just not any of the high end stuff currently.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

The way things are going they will release several versions of the 1150, 2050, 1650 and 21.50-50ti with optional cup holder in 2019.

Yeah I can see that but I think the 2020 gpus will be the 3000 series. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah I can see that but I think the 2020 gpus will be the 3000 series. 

Same, I just can't see Nvidia ending the sales life of the 2000 series that quickly. Anything less than a complete full year is just too short and then there are other things like waiting for RTX to get better optimization and support before release new cards on to the market that may suffer another bad review cycle based on a few feature. Then there is also the why, why would you release yet another range of GPUs to market unless it's on a new fab node, Nvidia can't really do more/better without something like that now. TSMC 12nm/16nm well has been thoroughly tapped and she's running dry.

11 hours ago, Chad The Greats said:

What market doesn't Samsung participate in now?

Well, Samsung has several divisions, of which two are most prominent, Samsung Electronics division and Samsung Heavy Industries. They make all the electronic gizmos we know the most and their Heavy Industries divisions work in metallurgy, ship making, transportation devices like diggers and forklifts, car manufacturing (I know they partnered with Renault), compressors, refrigeration units and air conditioning and list goes on and on.

Reason for this is long term stability. It's very unlikely that all business segments they operate in will go bad all at once. Meaning such corporations can remain stable even when one division is having even huge problems. Take it like AMD's CPU and GPU divisions. One is saving the other in tough times. Which is why Samsung is so strong pretty much all the time. Mitsubishi for example is in a similar boat. We know Mitsubishi the most from car industry, but Mitsubishi Heavy Industries work on so many other things even if their car segment is doing really poorly lately, they are still floating around because of other divisions are doing well afaik.

12 hours ago, Chad The Greats said:

Waiting on Samsung to make Humans 

Does it count that Samsung have a hospital in South Korea?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Imagine a Galaxy phone running with a Nvidia GPU 

Or heck, a Samsung TV with integrated shield TV.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 hours ago, williamcll said:

Imagine a Galaxy phone running with a Nvidia GPU 

Or heck, a Samsung TV with integrated shield TV.

I remember some old phones using the nvidia chips, for example

https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_x-4320.php

Spoiler

image.png.e03de6dca0f157eaf6abc83e1bbaa64a.png

But i don't think samsung has made one.

Then there were some tablets using nvidia Chipsets later on, Nvidia shield Tablet for example.

EDIT: i found a samsung phone with nvidia chipset, but that is even more ancient(2009):

https://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1252002108103.html

Spoiler

image.png.b54d473845f66c109623de6ffc334dd4.png

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2020? hehe go AyyMD  2019 is your year, no intel 10/7nm no nvidia 10/7nm you have the ball and no goalkeeper... jus do it!

On 1/4/2019 at 2:58 PM, Geography said:

But wait Nvidia, what about the 3000 series?

Anyways, I hope this new RTX 4080 will be able to run games at a decent resolution with RTX turned on.

Stop talking about the framerates. Seriously. It's the most triggering thing to hear. BF V, at 1440p on a 2080ti does it well over 60fps. That is playable in its early stages of optimization. It took from 4 cards to now 1 card to render out that ray traced star wars video. 

These cards hold amazing real time performance for ray tracing. If you dont like the CURRENT fps, then just disable it and wait. You currently aren't going to notice much of a difference in the heat of battle. 

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

On 1/4/2019 at 10:02 PM, LukeSavenije said:

tanks, batteries, pc's, memory, phones, tanks, washing machines, fridges, arm chips

and now graphics cards I guess

You forgot tanks, you have it there just twice. ?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Just now, Dezz said:

You forgot tanks, you have it there just twice. ?

you know what Samsung also makes? tanks...