ADD MOAR RAM!!! - Lenovo unveils the Z5 Pro GT featuring the Snapdragon 855, up to 512GB of storage and a whopping 12GB of RAM.

D13H4RD

mimJLr6vP6aj35eYSckwxk-650-80.jpg.6f102adcf9ed13156dc87f6aeecc8e15.jpg

The RAM count race on smartphone just ain't stopping, it seems. 

Just recently, Lenovo announced the Z5 Pro GT for the Chinese market. Costing the equivalent of $640, it's also the first consumer phone to come equipped with Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 855 SoC, coupled with 512GB of internal storage and a whopping 12GB of LPDDR4X memory. 

The Z5 Pro GT comes with an industry-topping 12GB of RAM, 512GB of storage and a 6.39-inch (2,340 x 1,080) OLED display. It packs a 3,350mAh battery, a pair of rear cameras (16MP & 24MP) and two front-facing cameras (16MP & an infrared 8MP). 

Curiously however, it does not support 5G, though I guess with such an outlandish specs sheet, it probably might get some people to notice, especially in a market where many consumers tend to be spec nerds. 

Source: TechRadar

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

and a whopping 12GB of LPDDR4X memory.

And some people have 8GB of RAM in their gaming PCs! :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I don't mind better specs but, WHY?

Like, my system has 8 gigs and that might not be a lot, it's enough. I don't see a single situation where android needs 10+ gigs...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Curiously however, it does not support 5G

China got 4G like 2 years ago, and honestly the way things are starting with 5G I think is better sticking with 4G for a couple of years more.

I mean AT&T in the states wants 70 dollars for a 15GB plan that only works with a hotspot that you need to buy for 500 dollars. jeez.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

why... what do you do on a phone that you need 12GB ram for? 

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I don't mind better specs but, WHY?

Like, my system has 8 gigs and that might not be a lot, it's enough. I don't see a single situation where android needs 10+ gigs...

Maybe usefull for caching? But then, can Andriod do it well? 

Just now, WereCat said:

Maybe usefull for caching? But then, can Andriod do it well? 

It can but there's a point it's just silly to cache stuff.

Like, if your memory fits the last 5 apps that's fine, but why would you cache basically every single app you open?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It can but there's a point it's just silly to cache stuff.

Like, if your memory fits the last 5 apps that's fine, but why would you cache basically every single app you open?

Honestly, this is a spec stunt. It's not all that uncommon in Asian markets, where consumers tend to be quite picky about specs 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

i like it, besides the lack of headphone jack its nice. i really just want one of these slider phones with one -_- 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

waiting for a laptop with a mobile processor tbh. Those could have incredible battery life, would be cheap and everything you need for browsing and word processing and the like. A new chromebook basically.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh okay it's a slider phone o_o we 1990s now boiis

legendary videos have been made on slider phones. we didn't have memes then but sending wallpapers and ringtones via bluetooth was the shit back then . Also it was extremely convenient that you could always smack the top of the phone when someone was filming you and it would just close up and stop recording lol.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Wait, Lenovo makes phones? I don't care what the specs are if it's made by Lenovo I'd buy it.

(This post is brought to you by one of the best laptop keyboards ever, thanks Lenovo. :D)

-KuJoe

15 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No one needs this much fucking ram. Hell 6GB is pushing the "need" factor. 

As mentioned before, it's just a spec stunt because apparently, people in Asian markets tend to be quite picky about specs. 

Kinda wished we toned down on the RAM count race though. 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

As mentioned before, it's just a spec stunt because apparently, people in Asian markets tend to be quite picky about specs. 

Kinda wished we toned down on the RAM count race though. 

I wish they would because this give RAM manufactures less reason to claim a shortage because phones. 

I wonder why Asian markets focus so hard on specs? 

yeah but......... Lenovo

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

42 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Wait, Lenovo makes phones? I don't care what the specs are if it's made by Lenovo I'd buy it.

(This post is brought to you by one of the best laptop keyboards ever, thanks Lenovo. :D)

They have for years now!  It's just that the company primarily caters to its native China with the Lenovo brand.   Motorola is what you get outside of its homeland.

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

They have for years now!  It's just that the company primarily caters to its native China with the Lenovo brand.   Motorola is what you get outside of its homeland.

They sold the P2 here in Europe. It was an unexpected success and they ended up being unable to meet demand so they discontinued it without providing a successor.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Tfw your laptop has as much RAM as a phone now. Hell even my PC has less at 8 GB :/ 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

why... what do you do on a phone that you need 12GB ram for? 

Most apps don't even go past 4gb.

RAM seems to be for 2018/2019 Android phones what CPU core count was two to three years ago: sounds good in the sales pitch, doesn't make a real-world difference with current software.  Even 8GB is typically overkill at the moment.  And it's more a comment on Android's weaker memory handling than anything.

2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Also keep in mind Lenovo has owned Motorola since 2014.

1 hour ago, Sypran said:

Also keep in mind Lenovo has owned Motorola since 2014.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I thought Google owned Motorola's mobile phone division?

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

I thought Google owned Motorola's mobile phone division?

It did at one point, but Lenovo picked it up.  Google wasn't having much success with it.