Google officially ended support for Android 4.0 ICS

Djole123

Farewell, ICS. 

Today, Google officially dropped support for Google Play services and the Google Play store on Ice Cream Sandwich. 

IMG_20181208_195023.thumb.png.ade8ef6352ad046ecf4e8e9026f57002.png

Android 4.0, also known as Android Ice Cream Sandwich, was released 7 years ago, and compared to Gingerbread, it had a massive UI overhaul brought from Honeycomb called Holo. It also brought along things like virtual navigation keys and Face unlock, something we take for granted even today. 

Today Google is pulling the plug on ICS and technically renders it obsolete (to its credit many apps require Jelly Bean at the very least to run).

I don't know how relevant these news are, since only .3% of Android users actively use ICS. Do you or someone you know still have a phone that runs the old piece of software? Let me know in the comments, I'm curious.

Then again, ICS was a huge deal at its time and does mark one of the first major overhauls of Android UI (aside from the flopped Honeycomb).

Source:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/12/07/google-play-services-drops-support-for-android-4-0-ics/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I am still running Android 4.4 (Galaxy S2) ? Will probably upgrade next year also it is still ok because I don´t use it much.

Google ended support for all versions of Android prior to 6.0 as of early 2018.

The difference here is Google is pulling the plug for Ice Cream Sandwich and so it won't work. 

There is a difference between "not supported" and "doesn't work" by the way.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I am still running Android 4.4 (Galaxy S2) ? Will probably upgrade next year also it is still ok because I don´t use it much.

Are there no custom roms that get it to at least 5.0 if not 6.0?

Edit: there are unofficial Android Pie roms for the S2, so I'm gonna go out and say that you should definitely be able to find a stable Nougat, if not higher. As long as you're happy with the performance, you can keep using it :P

I still have my Nexus 4 as a backup, I think it runs Oreo.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

THEY ONLY ENDED SUPPORT FOR IT NOW!!!?????!!?!

soon, the iPhone 5s will be 7 years old, and it still runs the latest iOS... 

She/Her

26 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Well the manufacturers take the blame for not upgrading not google

39 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The difference here is Google is pulling the plug for Ice Cream Sandwich and so it won't work. 

Doesn't work is a strong term. ICS devices will still work perfectly fine but they won't be able to update any of the GApps. Obsolete, yes, but they will still work. 

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

but google allows it... 

So is Microsoft to blame if for example Canon doesn't develop a driver for Windows 10 for one of their old printers? 

Should Microsoft go to every program developer and force them to constantly update their programs to remain compatible forever? 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

ICS will continue to work. 

What is happening is that Google has (since several years back) decoupled a lot of the Android APIs and ship them through the play store. These APIs are bundled into what's called "Google Play Services". It allows older versions of the OS to have the same APIs as newer versions without relying on manufacturer pushing out OS updates.

The next version of Google Play Services will not work on ICS. The old versions will still work however. That means that if an app uses APIs which only exist in the new Google play services version, it will no longer work on ICS. 

Everything that currently works will continue to work. Some future updates and applications will not work however. 

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

iOS is better in terms of stability and doesn't needs a ridiculous amount of resources *cough* RAM *cough* to run, kinda like windows mobile was

the 5s has "only" 1GB RAM, now can an android phone can run with 1GB memory? no, you can't even open the fucking web browser. man those things are a joke and normies just keep buying a new one every year lmao

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

56 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So is Microsoft to blame if for example Canon doesn't develop a driver for Windows 10 for one of their old printers? 

Should Microsoft go to every program developer and force them to constantly update their programs to remain compatible forever? 

ICS will continue to work. 

What is happening is that Google has decoupled a lot of the Android APIs and ship them through the play store. These APIs are bundled into what's called "Google Play Services". 

I know what Google Play Services is. It's a BS way for Google to turn open source Android APIs into a Proprietary package and try to control Android.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

22 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

iOS is better in terms of stability and doesn't needs a ridiculous amount of resources *cough* RAM *cough* to run, kinda like windows mobile was

the 5s has "only" 1GB RAM, now can an android phone can run with 1GB memory? no, you can't even open the fucking web browser. man those things are a joke and normies just keep buying a new one every year lmao

Pretty much all of what you just said is either completely false or at best inaccurate. 

oh fug, I was recently given an android tablet running 4.0.3. I wonder if it is possible to upgrade it.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

oh fug, I was recently given an android tablet running 4.0.3. I wonder if it is possible to upgrade it.

LineageOS may be available for your device. If not, search xda <your device> and check under development, there may be at least ONE rom for it.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

18 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know what Google Play Services is. It's a BS way for Google to turn open source Android APIs into a Proprietary package and try to control Android.

Well, the truth is that the "Android is open!  Open open open!" shouting was really more of a marketing line than a practical philosophy. The goal was ultimately to cater to vendors wanting an alternative to Windows Mobile/Phone, not to mention to pander to the Anything But Apple crowd.  As I like to put it: Android is open to manufacturers, open to carriers, closed to you.

This isn't even to say that Android is bad (it's dandy), just that it's not really the open platform Google claimed it was.

The only device I have that is old enough to have shipped with 4.4 is my 2012 nexus 7, but I have a custom 5.1 rom on it and I use fdroid as an app store on it (plus I didn't install any google services), so this won't affect me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The only device I have that is old enough to have shipped with 4.4 is my 2012 nexus 7, but I have a custom 5.1 rom on it and I use fdroid as an app store on it (plus I didn't install any google services), so this won't affect me.

This only affects 4.0 releases -- 4.4 is KitKat.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

Well, the truth is that the "Android is open!  Open open open!" shouting was really more of a marketing line than a practical philosophy. The goal was ultimately to cater to vendors wanting an alternative to Windows Mobile/Phone, not to mention to pander to the Anything But Apple crowd.  As I like to put it: Android is open to manufacturers, open to carriers, closed to you.

This isn't even to say that Android is bad (it's dandy), just that it's not really the open platform Google claimed it was.

AOSP Android without Google Play Services and Google Apps is open source. So I think calling it not open is misleading but yes it's not as open as Google would like people to believe.

basically all your phones are headed to obsolescence. there was a time where you thought there'd come a day the date counter ends at 2070 or 2099 so what would happen then to your back and white mobile phones, now its when will the app support ends.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

38 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

AOSP Android without Google Play Services and Google Apps is open source. So I think calling it not open is misleading but yes it's not as open as Google would like people to believe.

Oh, of course, but as I'm sure you know, AOSP isn't really viable for many people.  The main reason many people get an Android phone, the tight integration with Google services, isn't there (not without some unsanctioned kung fu, anyway).  It's like when Microsoft open-sources a development tool or a 30-year-old OS... well, thanks, but I can't really do the one thing I'd most like to do with your code!

23 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

LineageOS may be available for your device. If not, search xda <your device> and check under development, there may be at least ONE rom for it.

Will try, I doubt there exist a version of it since this tablet is pretty obscure.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition