iPhone XR Wins Best Single Camera Award

DrMacintosh
11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Why is this starting to sound more like a bad advertisement and less like a newsworthy story?

DxOMark is basically that. They make a camera sound way better than it actually is and then give it an arbitrary score to "back up" their claims.

Remember how Google bragged about the OG Pixel getting an 89/100 on DxOMark and then it turned out that the Pixel's camera is plagued by some sort of "halo" effect under certain lighting conditions, something DxOMark didn't even mention? It completely ruined a lot of shots on my old Pixel.

I don't really put any stock in what DxOMark says because of that.

22 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

All that test did was show that Media platforms compress the hell out of everything to the point where what would otherwise be a potato photo is actually competitive with flagships. 

But that is what most people do with their smartphone cameras. The final image is all about how pleasing it is to the eye. Its a reason photographers says its not the camera that makes the photographer.

Sure DXO can can hand out awards but as long as people still enjoy the photos from the camera, its nothing more than an epeen competition. 

13 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Further, to make things worse for the Pixel:

- Pixel 3 $800

- iPhone XR $750

To anybody this translates to "You should buy the Pixel since it costs more and it's significantly worse than the more popular and readily available iPhone"

I don't know much about the pixel but I know I would probably use anything anything other than the iPhone XR. No way I am paying 750 for sub HD screen. I won't use anything with a dumb notch either. A decent camera can't fix the other horrible design decisions. 

21 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I don't know much about the pixel but I know I would probably use anything anything other than the iPhone XR. No way I am paying 750 for sub HD screen. I won't use anything with a dumb notch either. A decent camera can't fix the other horrible design decisions. 

The XR is >HD, not sure what you’re talking about. And it’s 326ppi which is not to bad, resolution isn’t the be all and end all, there’s many qualities that make up a good screen and I would almost say resolution is one of the lesser important ones (to a degree).

59 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The screen is probably decent,but yeah paying $750 for a screen that isn't 1080P is a bit ridiculous IMO. The camera doesn't make up for it when there are plenty of phones that still have really nice cameras, with HD screens and no intrusive screen notch. I would use the Pixel though it wouldn't be my first choice because of software bugs,i'd rather have an S9 or 6T.  But i'd choose an iphone 8 Plus over the XR if i had to go with Apple.

38 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I'd rather use an XR than a Pixel 3 Tbh. 

A notch and a 828p display are at least livable compared to a phone that's riddled with bugs that then introduces new ones once the previous ones are fixed. 

I would prefer a phone with a 1080p panel and a software experience that isn't broken, but hardly anyone makes that these days, except maybe OnePlus but looks like they're going to join the $1000 club... 

Oh, and Samsung

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

you would think cameras should be smart enough to save it into multiple files...

I think they do... but there is a second or two lag for it... :/

But that would not get around the "video camera" tax, as total recording time would still be 30+ mins.

17 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

The XR continues to be a weird anomaly of Apple actually making a decent value phone for once. Other than the sub-fucking-HD screen that is

it doesn't matter, you can't see the difference nayway, because it has the pixel density of a retina display. 

it even helps bettery life and performance. i don't see the issue. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

it doesn't matter, you can't see the difference nayway, because it has the pixel density of a retina display. 

it even helps bettery life and performance. i don't see the issue. 

The difference is noticeable during movies. Background details are sharper on a higher resolution display, especially if you hold the screen closer to your face.

The retina argument only works if you hold the screen at least 40cm away from your face, which is hard to do when you watch movies in bed LOL. 

BUT, I am using an iPhone 7 daily and the lower screen resolution compared to a 1080p screen stopped bothering me after 1 week. It’s just when you do a side by side comparison that things get ugly. I think it’s a dumb move from Apple when you consider people comparing/buying a phone in a shop, the iPhone XR will look less premium alongside a much cheaper Samsung S8. 

16 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

The XR is >HD, not sure what you’re talking about. And it’s 326ppi which is not to bad, resolution isn’t the be all and end all, there’s many qualities that make up a good screen and I would almost say resolution is one of the lesser important ones (to a degree).

It's less than 1080p so I would have to disagree. It's a scumbag move on a 750 dollar phone. 

16 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I'd rather use an XR than a Pixel 3 Tbh. 

A notch and a 828p display are at least livable compared to a phone that's riddled with bugs that then introduces new ones once the previous ones are fixed. 

I would prefer a phone with a 1080p panel and a software experience that isn't broken, but hardly anyone makes that these days, except maybe OnePlus but looks like they're going to join the $1000 club... 

Oh, and Samsung

I would honestly buy an iPhone 8 before i would touch a XR.

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's less than 1080p so I would have to disagree. It's a scumbag move on a 750 dollar phone. 

And HD is 720p.

Because people are bringing it up again, I genuinely want to know the purpose of an incredibly-high resolution screen on a phone when the pixel density on the XR is already pretty decent?

Which, I understand that, for its size, the resolution isn't mindblowing, but it's still pretty decent and if you've used, say, an iPhone 5 or the standard-sized iPhone 6, 7 or 8, you'll very easily get used to it. I'm fine with people saying the resolution isn't the greatest, but I really cannot stand when people say "not HD" when that's incredibly misleading.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

XR owner here and have to say the screen resolution hasn't bothered me one bit, and that's coming from a Pixel 2XL (great vision too, no glasses etc).

Sometimes we get a little too hooked into the numbers game imo, I'm more than happy with it :)

29 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Because people are bringing it up again, I genuinely want to know the purpose of an incredibly-high resolution screen on a phone when the pixel density on the XR is already pretty decent?

Which, I understand that, for its size, the resolution isn't mindblowing, but it's still pretty decent and if you've used, say, an iPhone 5 or the standard-sized iPhone 6, 7 or 8, you'll very easily get used to it. I'm fine with people saying the resolution isn't the greatest, but I really cannot stand when people say "not HD" when that's incredibly misleading.

There are advantages for looking at photos (where it'll help you determine if a subject is sharp) and perhaps overall crispness, but I do think people panic over the "omg it's not 1080p" factor.  Hell, it actually contributes to the phone's exceptional battery life.

33 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Upscaling/downscaling media. If the screen resolution matches the content, or the upscale is a clean ratio, it looks less fuzzy.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

And HD is 720p.

Yeah 720p isn't HD. Yeah technically at one point it was rendered to as HD but nobody refers to it as HD anymore. Let's stop loving in the early 2000s. 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah 720p isn't HD. Yeah technically at one point it was rendered to as HD but nobody refers to it as HD anymore. Let's stop loving in the early 2000s. 

720p is HD though, you’re wrong. What do you consider HD?

15 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

cannot understand when people buy expensive phones

Those are the people that buy a brand new expensive phone every few years.

My next smartphone

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

On 12/7/2018 at 7:30 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Not that I think that DxOMark is a particularly valid, has integrity, or tests things that really matter...

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on this... on top of my intense hatred of automatic filters.

Remember kids, if you care about photos buy a real camera!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

53 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on this... on top of my intense hatred of automatic filters.

Remember kids, if you care about photos buy a real camera!

I never like this argument, since it's predicated on the unrealistic assumption that you can and will carry a dedicated camera with you at all times.

I'm sorry, but when I'm on a date with my girlfriend I'm not going to bring my mirrorless camera with me just in case I see something photogenic.  I'm not going to bring it with me on a shopping trip, or to a concert where 'big' cameras aren't allowed.  And in those moments, I still want to take quality photos.

Now, it might be a bit much to ask many people to buy a particularly high-end smartphone, but there's still a good reason to care about the quality of your photos when all you have is your phone.  You don't want to have a lousy photo of a priceless moment simply because your DSLR is sitting at home.

16 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I never like this argument, since it's predicated on the unrealistic assumption that you can and will carry a dedicated camera with you at all times.

I can and will when quality matters. When it doesn't, any modern phone will do just fine.

17 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You don't want to have a lousy photo of a priceless moment simply because your DSLR is sitting at home.

I'd be hard pressed to call any photo generated by a half decent phone "lousy" nowadays - unless I were to compare it with a dedicated camera. Furthermore, if you're taking pictures on a date chances are they'll be selfies, in which case the award winning "best" camera won't even be used.

It also doesn't need to be a DSLR or even a mirrorless to be better than any phone, but point-and-shoots are dying because people clearly don't care about quality photos on the go enough to buy one.

Now, personally I don't really "get" the desire to take a random picture of a band at a concert from 20+ meters away with everyone's hands (most likely holding their own phone) in the middle of the shot, or of anything really on a shopping trip - but I guess that depends on you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*