iPhone XR Wins Best Single Camera Award

DrMacintosh
4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

He most definitely does use raw photos to bring up darks and lower highlights. Maybe I’m thinking of another photographer, but the iPhone still won either way. 

They were not raw. I can 100% guarantee it. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPhone X doesn’t have smartHDR or the new ISP or the 8-Core neural engine

How about look at the second video with the XS? Stop ignoring half the post.

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Shooting in RAW and trying to manipulate the image to expose it properly results in a loss of detail. You can’t enhance data the sensor never got, something the new iPhones don’t have to deal with.

DSLRs have had +.3/-.3 exposure burst for what? 10 years now. This is what the iphone is doing but just processing at that moment. Take those 3 frames from a DSLR and combine them then tell me how well the iphone does in DR vs a DSLR. 

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And like I said, unless you spend money on the big guns, iPhone XR is going to capture more detail, but admittedly probably less accurate color, than a DSLR taking a single RAW photo. 

No its not. It never will. If you knew anything about photography you shoot a stop higher if you are doing post. This allows you to pull back highlights in a single image with keeping low detail still there. 

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Even high end DSLRs don't have that capability because it is difficult to process those photos in real time in-camera without a significant deficit in performance, particularly due to the larger amount of information that these larger sensors can capture. Even still, because these larger sensors can capture so much information, you can get relatively close to the XR's final output with a single exposure on these cameras. 

I dont think people realize how much data cameras like a7iii, a6500, D850, have to process on their own. They already have low battery life, I cant imagine putting an arm CPU in a DSLR. 

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How about look at the second video with the XS? Stop ignoring half the post.

You only posted 1 video, I ignored nothing that was relevant. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

You only posted 1 video, I ignored nothing that was relevant. 

Screenshot_20181210-155601_Chrome.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont think people realize how much data cameras like a7iii, a6500, D850, have to process on their own. They already have low battery life, I cant imagine putting an arm CPU in a DSLR. 

The main issue is really their battery capacity. The FW50 in my a6000 is 1020mAh (I have 2 Ravpower extras rated at 1100mAh) and they're good for up to around 300+ shots. The newer FZ100 can do almost twice that but they're still smaller than the average capacity of a typical smartphone battery. 

That FZ100 will turn into an FW50 if we add an SoC capable of processing images computationally 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1