iPhone XR Wins Best Single Camera Award

DrMacintosh
1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not necessarily. Especially in terms of dynamic range. Computational photography is insane these days. 

iPhone XR/s (Max) can capture more detail in scenarios with high dynamic range than a DSLR with far less effort on the photographers end. 

may I challenge that xr against my nikon b700 in zooming?

Edited by LukeSavenije

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Then why bother posting this or DXO giving the award? 

I’m not defending DxOMark. If you read my post (which apparently nobody has) I criticize DxOMark in like the first sentence I wrote......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

I have been saying for years that phone cameras are really close in competition to each other that pixel peeping is worthless. No matter what social media you post to its going to be compressed, filtered, tons of displays are not color accurate so it doesnt matter.

I am glad MKB did that to show that DXO epeen tokens dont mean anything to the people viewing your photos. 

The thing is, not every camera is the best for everyone, no matter how weird that sounds. I may subjectively like let's say Note 9, and it may be much better in my eyes than Mate 20 Pro, which you may like more, and then so on. 

Very few people will actually use the camera and notice the real difference. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Why is this starting to sound more like a bad advertisement and less like a newsworthy story?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

may I challenge that xr against my nikon b700 in zooming?

Yes, and you would obliterate the XR/s (Max)....but I wasn’t talking about zooming now was I? I was talking about dynamic range. Don’t move the goal posts too much, lol. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Drak3 said:

Why is this starting to sound more like a bad advertisement and less like a newsworthy story?

Read my first sentence in my post 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Read my first sentence in my post 

I stand by what I said.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

To be fair, every single time in history of Samsung the Plus/Edge model had a better camera. The S9 wouldn't really bring anything new to the table. 

Yeah, probably, since the S9 Plus scored 99 points there. Still, it's like saying that the Exynos 9810 in the S9 is better than the Snapdragon 845 in the US-variant because it scored higher in Geekbench. All of the real-world reviews claim otherwise...

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, they do. 

That must mean they're really meaningful then! ^_^ What's the award? A statue? A "thumbs up" sticker? :P
My point is (which you surely missed) - the title of the thread would look a lot better and reasonable if it said:

iPhone XR breaks the DxOMark's best score for a single-lens camera phone.

or

iPhone XR scored the highest in DxOMark's tests for a single-lens camera setup.

I actually searched the article on DxOMark's website ( https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-xr-camera-review/ ) for the words "award" and "prize". Guess how many matches were found...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, and you would obliterate the XR/s (Max)....but I wasn’t talking about zooming now was I? I was talking about dynamic range. Don’t move the goal posts too much, lol. 

well. They didn't do a bad job of dynamic range. I knew already I wasn't going to win there. but general photo's still look way better on camera's imo. And I just don't like digital zoom in general

Just now, Drak3 said:

I stand by what I said.

Good, so do I. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If the pixel is better, it can only Be in stills. Nothing in the market competes with iPhone XR/s (Max) in video thanks to the iPhone having unlimited 4K@60fps video recording, 4K@30fps with HDR which is also unlimited, stereo audio recording, and OiS vs digital OiS on the Pixel, and better slow motion settings with less compression and higher frame rates. 

What I do know that Pixel 3 video sucks, and mostly due to horrible, and I mean horrible audio. It's worse than Nokia 1020 I think. What a joke. As for the rest, I did not scan iPhones too much since they in general are uninteresting to me, but I might, and then see what's what. Neither did I Pixel for that matter since it's the biggest disappointment of a flagship in 2018. That phone is a joke. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

The thing is, not every camera is the best for everyone, no matter how weird that sounds. I may subjectively like let's say Note 9, and it may be much better in my eyes than Mate 20 Pro, which you may like more, and then so on. 

Agree and that is my point. Dont buy a phone for its camera or if you must chose one where you prefer its processing better (say warmer or cooler)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’m not defending DxOMark. If you read my post (which apparently nobody has) I criticize DxOMark in like the first sentence I wrote......

I didnt say you are defending them, I am saying why is this news if testing is not even done?

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

That must mean they're really meaningful then! ^_^

I’ll direct you to the first sentence I wrote in my OP

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

the title of the thread would look a lot better and reasonable if it said:

Well you do have the power to change it if you feel that way. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I was just stating my opinion, it's your thread (and it doesn't violate the rules) so I'd never change it! ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Hey, don't give him ideas and push him to become /u/spez.

24 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

What I do know that Pixel 3 video sucks, and mostly due to horrible, and I mean horrible audio. It's worse than Nokia 1020 I think. What a joke. As for the rest, I did not scan iPhones too much since they in general are uninteresting to me, but I might, and then see what's what. Neither did I Pixel for that matter since it's the biggest disappointment of a flagship in 2018. That phone is a joke. 

Further, to make things worse for the Pixel:

- Pixel 3 $800

- iPhone XR $750

To anybody this translates to "You should buy the Pixel since it costs more and it's significantly worse than the more popular and readily available iPhone"

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

Further, to make things worse for the Pixel:

- Pixel 3 $800

- iPhone XR $750

To anybody this translates to "You should buy the Pixel since it costs more and it's significantly worse than the more popular and readily available iPhone"

Strip down the camera, and you are left with a better screen and a shit ton of bugs. And that's it. Pixel 3 in a nutshell. 

But to be fair, Pixel is non stop on sale these days, you can probably get him with a $150-200 discount. I haven't seen XR on sales yet. 

43 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPhone XR/s (Max) can capture more detail in scenarios with high dynamic range than a DSLR with far less effort on the photographers end. 

Hi

84AA0133-D23B-48A4-B057-2D66C543E194.jpeg.03b10205082ea56130878b9d959f6e5d.jpeg

Spoiler

Use an a7Sii if you want ultra DR

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

But if Apple did rub this in Googles face, that would be great ?

(If y’all could read the article and my post before commenting that would be great)

From the original DXO article: “It just surpasses the Google Pixel 2 for still photos, with marginally better noise-versus-texture results, and significantly fewer artifacts. Both devices achieve the same overall score for video.”

Yes... take THAT, Google!

?

Irrelevant. No flagship phone has a display capable of displaying a 12MP image in native res. 

you've got 4k phones out there, they would see the 12 megapixels

✨FNIGE✨

1 minute ago, James said:

surpasses the Google Pixel 2 for still photos

Were at 3 now

✨FNIGE✨

11 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

you've got 4k phones out there, they would see the 12 megapixels

Yeah, those phones aren’t flagships anymore. 

Nothing in the market competes with iPhone XR/s (Max) in video thanks to the iPhone having unlimited 4K@60fps video recording, 4K@30fps with HDR which is also unlimited

Excuse me?

You mean it can record until it fills up the internal storage? Or are you saying it can upload all of that to the cloud, because that is going to cost you a pretty penny in data pretty fast.

I mean I could also upload to the cloud on my S9 and I am not limited to just 256gb of internal storage. I can use my 64gb internal plus add 512gb in the form of a high speed sd card.

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

You mean it can record until it fills up the internal storage

Yes, because the Pixel and other Snapdragon phones have 4K @60fps time limits (or in the case of the Pixel no option at all) where as the iPhone does not. 

I would call that unlimted recording considering the context of something like an 8min cap of recording on other phones. 

You are not excused. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, because the Pixel and other Snapdragon phones have 4K @60fps time limits (or in the case of the Pixel not option at all) where as the iPhone does not. 

I would call that unlimted recording considering the context of something like an 8min cap of recording on other phones. 

If we compare stock for stock sure... but the good thing about android phones is the ability to download any APK. There are repacked APK's that remove those restrictions.