iPhone XR Wins Best Single Camera Award

DrMacintosh
2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If we compare stock for stock sure... but the good thing about android phones is the ability to download any APK. There are repacked APK's that remove those restrictions.

Thad’s not a good user experience or a valid excuse and you know it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Thad’s not a good user experience or a valid excuse and you know it. 

Let me touch on this in more detail then. Both phones can take "unlimited" video until the storage is full. Just one is done in 5 minute chunks which can then be combined if needed.

Also I have used the Repacked Camera APKs before on past galaxy devices and it didn't hurt my experience at all. The limit is there to prevent a scenario where the phone overheats to the point it goes into thermal protection mode and shutdown. The Exynos versions of the phone do not have that limit btw... so mostly this applies to the US Variants.

In the end they have a time limit, but allow you to take as many subsequent videos as you want... which is the same as it being continuous. I know for a fact I have taken at least 3 back to back 4k60 videos without a single issue. Then again I am using a 256gb evo sd card. So maybe it is a combination of high CPU and storage usage that is causing a heat concern... I dunno. It could just be some random crap snapdragon demands. I just think it is pretty much pointless as you can still take continuous video in 5 min segments.

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Let me touch on this in more detail then. Both phones can take "unlimited" video until the storage is full. Just one is done in 5 minute chunks which can then be combined if needed.

What a terrible and indefensible excuse

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Also I have used the Repacked Camera APKs before on past galaxy devices and it didn't hurt my experience at all. The limit is there to prevent a scenario where the phone overheats to the point it goes into thermal protection mode and shutdown. The Exynos versions of the phone do not have that limit btw... so mostly this applies to the US Variants.

So you are aware that the vast majority of consumers don’t even know what something as simple as 3D Touch is right? People like use are a niche community and the average smartphone owner hasn’t the slightest clue what an apk is or how to use them. 

And acknowledging that these other phones can’t perform because of their overheating internals and poor performance is also not an excuse. It’s just a really crap-tactic end user experience no matter how you slice it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

In the end they have a time limit, but allow you to take as many subsequent videos as you want... which is the same as it being continuous. I know for a fact I have taken at least 3 back to back 4k60 videos without a single issue. 

Yeah but see a phone with a decent SoC could do that as a continuous video file and not have to combine them later in post.....just a thought. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

What a terrible and indefensible excuse

So you are aware that the vast majority of consumers don’t even know what something as simple as 3D Touch is right? People like use are a niche community and the average smartphone owner hasn’t the slightest clue what an apk is or how to use them. 

And acknowledging that these other phones can’t perform because of their overheating internals and poor performance is also not an excuse. It’s just a really crap-tactic end user experience no matter how you slice it. 

In your opinion it is. I have had nothing but good experiences with my device and am please with it. I am not saying there is anything wrong with using an Iphone, I just have never liked them.

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

In your opinion it is. I have had nothing but good experiences with my device and am please with it. I am not saying there is anything wrong with using an Iphone, I just have never liked them.

Well, normally saying something like this would make me seem like an ass, but I’m going to do it anyway....

Your personal experience and opinion on a video time limit being ok, are wrong. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah but see a phone with a decent SoC could do that as a continuous video file and not have to combine them later in post.....just a thought. 

Sigh. Me and you never see eye to eye on these things. We might as well just agree to disagree. I personally don't think it is even an issue with the SoC. I am curious if the Note 9 has this issue, because if it does it isn't an overheating issue as that phone runs cool with the liquid cooling solution it uses

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Me and you never see eye to eye on these things.

So you honestly believe that recording 3 8min clips is just as good an experience as recording 1 24min clip?

If so you and I are on completely different galaxies of fundamental ideologies my dude. 

11 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So you honestly believe that recording 3 8min clips is just as good an experience as recording 1 24min clip?

If so you and I are on completely different galaxies of fundamental ideologies my dude. 

How often are you in a situation where you would record a 24 minute clip though. Phones are good for snapping some pictures or capturing some important moments at the drop of a hat, but if I am going to say a school play or a sports event where I am going to be recording a long time... then most of the time I am going to bring something like a 4k video recorder over my phone. I mean the camera's in our phones has definitely improved to offer decent quality, but it still isn't going to replace a device made just for that purpose. It won't have the quality, features, and capacity of those devices.

So if you want to put all of a devices value on it's ability to take 4k60 video that is on you, but I think that is a very small part of what it is mainly used for. If this was something important to most of these non-techie people then I am sure we would have seen a lot more bad reviews and press over this feature. So this comes back to your argument... you are part of that small niche that would need that functionality so for you it might be important, but for the large majority they wouldn't even notice.

Now in closing for us niche members that DO need or want that functionality we have the ability to use a repacked APK that removes the 4k60 and 4k30 time limits.

20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

AFAIK it's a memory limit, not a overheating one? As in, one board ram/file access means the device fills up too quick?

Yep, filesystem limit:

I tried using open camera and 4k 60fps is not supported at any bitrate
4k 30fps will record up 4gb, then creates a new one once the size is reached however, the transitions from one file to the next is not seamless ( about a half second gap loss) after putting the videos into an editor.

I think Apple/Mac FS may not have this limit?

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

So if you want to put all of a devices value on it's ability to take 4k60 video that is on you,

I'm not doing that, but what I am doing is saying phones like the Google Pixel have significantly less value than an iPhone for anyone who takes video in any capacity. 

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

you are part of that small niche that would need that functionality so for you it might be important, but for the large majority they wouldn't even notice.

Yes I am in a niche of the market, but wanting to be able to record more than 8min of 4K 60fps video is not a niche feature.....

I'm not doing that, but what I am doing is saying phones like the Google Pixel have significantly less value and an iPhone for anyone who takes video in any capacity. 

Yes I am in a niche of the market, but wanting to be able to record more than 8min of 4K 60fps video is not a niche feature.....

Actually the 4k60 is at 5 minutes and 4k30 is at 10 minutes (for the S9 at least). I know worse than you feared.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

Actually the 4k60 is at 5 minutes and 4k30 is at 10 minutes. I know worse than you feared.

Ok, basically ever video I have in my iCloud Photo library is over 5min long.......That is unusablly short amount of time. 

Ok, basically ever video I have in my iCloud Photo library is over 5min long.......That is unusablly short amount of time. 

But how many of them are in 4k?

I ask because very rarely do my videos go somewhere that they need 4k resolution. I put a ton of my stuff on either youtube or facebook for family/friends to have access to. So in those scenarios 1440p is just fine, hell even 1080 would be fine.

I think your argument would hold more weight if we had more computers/laptops/phones actually able to take advantage of 4k. I mean my phone can record 4k, but can't view it natively.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

But how many of them are in 4k?

All of them? 6s Plus has 4K video support at 30fps

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

All of them? 6s Plus has 4K video support at 30fps

Sorry I ended up updating my post on you there last minute. Anyways I am heading home. Hopefully I can pick this back up later.

Look. I'm just going to say it. I agree that the xr has a great camera, and so does the xs (max), pixel (2/3) and so does almost any flagship. But a phone is still a phone. whatever it can be better in one way or another in one or some specific tasks, it's still a phone, and not a camera. A phone is meant to be a do-it-all device. A camera is meant to take pictures. It has a bigger sensor, a bigger lens, more specific hardware and is just easier to handle imo. You can tell me how a certain phone, whatever it might be, that it came out better in some testing, but I keep on my own feeling, my own knowledge and my own general knowledge that a good camera will be better than a phone. And you can't push me towards a different opinion that easily. not even by showing every single test of it. I love cameras as the way they are and they are still not up to the level that cameras are. I have no problems if you disagree, you can make fun of me, you can do whatever you want with it. but you can't change my opionion with this.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I just had to say it

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

In the end they have a time limit, but allow you to take as many subsequent videos as you want... which is the same as it being continuous. I know for a fact I have taken at least 3 back to back 4k60 videos without a single issue. Then again I am using a 256gb evo sd card. So maybe it is a combination of high CPU and storage usage that is causing a heat concern... I dunno. It could just be some random crap snapdragon demands. I just think it is pretty much pointless as you can still take continuous video in 5 min segments.

Not many average users would even be recording continuously in 4K, not sure how its not a valid excuse either. Installing an APK is fairly easy but it's just as niche as recording everything in 4k on a phone with no expandable storage. Then again the dxo benchmark is pointless, you wouldn't notice the difference with high-end phones these days.

Let's be real honest 

No matter how good the camera on your phone is, it'll be smothered over by filters, overly lossy compression when uploaded to Facebook or Whatsapp, or just used for ducklips. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

or just used for ducklips. 

? 

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

Let's be real honest 

No matter how good the camera on your phone is, it'll be smothered over by filters, overly lossy compression when uploaded to Facebook or Whatsapp, or just used for ducklips. 

Proven by latest MKBHD cameraphone shootout. Blackberry > iPhone XS. lmao

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

11 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Proven by latest MKBHD cameraphone shootout. Blackberry > iPhone XS. lmao

All that test did was show that Media platforms compress the hell out of everything to the point where what would otherwise be a potato photo is actually competitive with flagships.