Apple announces iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and Xr

DocSwag
2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They did but only because the camera needed it. The OS is perfectly content with running on 2-3GB. The only reason the iPhone 8 has 3GB was because of the camera as well. Need a big  frame buffer for what Apple is doing with their cameras. 

Wonder if they'll use those new sensors that have stacked DRAM modules in them 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The iPhone XR is going to be a major success imo. It’s a massive upgrade for anyone coming from a 7 or lower and it hits that lower price point. 

Coupled with the best battery life of any iPhone, Internal spec parity with the Xs/Xs Max, and the amazing color options....I predict the XR is going to be the best selling iPhone this year. 

If I can upgrade this year from my 6s Plus, it will definitely be to a XR

B305354D-FD2E-47D3-91C5-470A2A776A36.thumb.jpeg.6afb7042130d77911ce02f109108a881.jpeg

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

They did but only because the camera needed it. The OS is perfectly content with running on 2-3GB. The only reason the iPhone 8 has 3GB was because of the camera as well. Need a big  frame buffer for what Apple is doing with their cameras. 

the OS can run on 2-3GB of ram, but it does sacrifise user speed when doing multiple things on the phone and swapping between apps. yes 3GB is enough, but on a device like this you would expect there to be plenty, because you are paying to have plenty

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Wonder if they'll use those new sensors that have stacked DRAM modules in them 

Is there any latency benefit to that? Apple isn’t using that as far as I am aware and they have already eliminated shutter lag thanks to the Nueral Engine in the A12 Bionic. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

-snip-

Xr is definitvly a good flagship device, probably the best in the roundup. good to see there is an upgrade option from the 6s design without emptying your wallet too hard. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the OS can run on 2-3GB of ram, but it does sacrifise user speed when doing multiple things on the phone and swapping between apps. yes 3GB is enough, but on a device like this you would expect there to be plenty, because you are paying to have plenty

Considering the fast speed of iPhone storage and the single threaded dominance the iPhone commands, the slight difference in loading time can be overcome in real world time savings and not the few moments you save from keeping many apps suspended at once. (Which iOS is very good in, especially with power consumption and memeory compression) 

I wouldn’t mind adding more RAM to the iPhone, but it isn’t a bottleneck to the experience right now so going ham on the GB count isn’t a top priority for Apple. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Considering the fast speed of iPhone storage and the single threaded dominance the iPhone commands, the slight difference in loading time can be overcome in real world time savings. 

iphones are usually the fastest in the first pass on these speed tests, and their storage speed is pretty sweet. though on second pass the lagg behind due to having to re-open the apps from scratch, something additional ram really helps with. 

33 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

please elaborate how phones continuesly loose on the second pass in speedtest?

*looks at Nokia 6.1 plus. has in general everything the iphone has (sacrifises in rear camera a bit), but has 

1. headphone jack
  2. smaller notch
  3. SD card slot
  4. USB C
  5. a pricetag of about 350$ i believe (non-carrier)
  6. 4/6GB of Ram
  7. a blunt weapon (its bade by Nokia afterall)
  8. Android one for equivelent support
  9. fingerprint reader

what do you mean the are shit? they are litterally better than the best iphone made, the iphone 6s

This is like saying "see?  My Hyundai is at least as good as a Porsche because it has four wheels, an engine and a steering wheel... plus it has more cupholders and a middle rear seat!  Take that, Stuttgart."

A few things are notable, like expandable storage and the headphone jack, but you're glossing over so many differences.  The iPhone will run rings around the Nokia in terms of performance, including the CPU, camera and memory usage (4GB of RAM on iOS is more like 6-8GB on Android).  The notch is there for a feature the Nokia doesn't have... depth-sensing face detection.  A fingerprint reader is occasionally more convenient than face detection, but there are definitely cases where the opposite is true. 

And crucially... no, Android One is not equivalent in terms of support.  You're going to get two years of functionality updates, and another year of security updates beyond that.  With the iPhone?  You're looking at four to five years of full updates.  Android One is good, but look at it this way: Apple's level of support would be akin to a 2014-era Motorola Nexus 6 not only getting Android Pie, but getting it on day one.

The question isn't whether or not the iPhone Xs/Xr is overpriced, it's whether you need the kind of power you're paying for.  That's where Nokia does well -- it's offering a phone that covers many of the bases well enough for an undemanding user.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

-snip-

Yes i am saying "see". Im not only taking a jab at apple but every other high end device out there.

Ive allready adressed the support time for android One. In a another post. Its pretty good.

The A12 chips is really fast, but Ram holds it back. Again, apple looses the second lap in speed tests. Ram on apple devices isnt magic. You run out, and you will run out. Memmory management can only be soo good untill it doesnt help anymore, thats just reality. 

Notch is there because its "modern". A standard set by the essential phone. Which is still getting pretty good OS support. And the expencive face detection replaced by good old fingerprint reader. 

The Nokia offers somethikg for every user. Even quite demanding ones can come to rest with it. 

15 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

Wow, that Xr screen resolution is dogshit!!! :o

its not bad, like anything beyond 1080p is almost useless in terms of ppi. this offcourse depends on screensize. 

like its a bother for such a device, but not entirely a dealbreaker

Still say the naming scheme is on par with GPUS in terms of sheer atrocity.

Xr looks pretty cool. I think the image of it being the more "budget" phone will attract a lot of buyers even though they're still paying out the ass for a phone. I don't really get why everyone is so hyped about extra CPU performance when phones aren't really doing anything with it. You play some basic games and use browsers and things, no one is really doing work on their phone (or do you?). All we want is a big battery with a simple interface.

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

I think the image of it being the more "budget" phone will attract a lot of buyers even though they're still paying out the ass for a phone.

Agree, but Apple never have a phone close to "budget". yet pocophone have just defined "budget" successfully

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Still say the naming scheme is on par with GPUS in terms of sheer atrocity.

the "X" is a must. It basically just gives more power to the phone xD But they even covered all the basis with the "r" and the "s". Only thing missing is a "g" and a "z"

we can only hope for a "iphone GTXZR".  marketing >:(

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Is there any latency benefit to that? Apple isn’t using that as far as I am aware and they have already eliminated shutter lag thanks to the Nueral Engine in the A12 Bionic. 

Moreso the ability for extreme slow-motion alongside much deeper multi-frame processing.

Apple’s already doing MFP with the XS and XR in a similar vein to the Pixel 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Agree, but Apple never have a phone close to "budget". yet pocophone have just defined "budget" successfully

That's my point. People will think they're saving money by going for the cheaper option, but they're still paying the same as you would for a full fat Android flagship. Apple knows their customers

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

That's my point. People will think they're saving money by going for the cheaper option, but they're still paying the same as you would for a full fat Android flagship. Apple knows their customers

when something comes with the premise of saving money and still retaining everything it really attracts lesser knowing customers even if they originally had no plan of paying 750$ for a phone. not mention it gives a fell of "value" which really isnt there. like the P20 seems like a P20 pro. its not

like if the iphone Xs is overpriced accoring to people, shurely the Xr is good value

The iPhone XR is going to be a major success imo. It’s a massive upgrade for anyone coming from a 7 or lower and it hits that lower price point. 

Coupled with the best battery life of any iPhone, Internal spec parity with the Xs/Xs Max, and the amazing color options....I predict the XR is going to be the best selling iPhone this year. 

If I can upgrade this year from my 6s Plus, it will definitely be to a XR

Do you think it will? Seems very reminiscent of iPhone 5C which bombed hard. I wish instead of the Xr, they had continued making old style, iPhone 7/8 refreshes. We'll wait and see, it's for sure the most interesting out of the bunch.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

like if the iphone Xs is overpriced accoring to people, shurely the Xr is good value

Apple still seems to sell expensive products though, I mean look at the Apple Watch. To me it's by far the most overpriced product Apple sells. But, I'm still interested to see how Xr sells. It's a really unique offering.

The iPhone XR holds 2 distinctions.

• For being one of the worst named iPhones ever (XR? Seriously?)
  • For being a better buy than their more expensive counterparts despite omissions like 3D Touch and a secondary camera.
46 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

Wow, that Xr screen resolution is dogshit!!! :o

Honestly, that resolution isn’t entirely unexpected. Apple goes for one of two numbers when it comes to PPI, that is 326 and 401. The PPI for the iPhone XR is 326, right on the line where Apple defines “retina”. So it has an oddball resolution that’s also oddly below 1080p. It’s certainly odd when it comes to resolution as it’s lower than even relatively budget Android phones but it does have a much higher maximum brightness and DCI-P3 compatibility alongside individual calibration. With all that said, I’m quite surprised they didn’t go with 401PPI.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Do you think it will? Seems very reminiscent of iPhone 5C which bombed hard. I wish instead of the Xr, they had continued making old style, iPhone 7/8 refreshes. We'll wait and see, it's for sure the most interesting out of the bunch.

The XR is a different animal from the 5C.

The 5C was in essence, an iPhone 5 with a plastic shell and a slightly larger battery that paled in comparison to the iPhone 5s which actually brought a more significant upgrade.

The iPhone XR is different. It’s basically the guts and design of the iPhone XS but with some omissions like an IPS LCD instead of OLED, a single rear camera instead of a dual one and no 3D Touch. However, it does deliver 90-95% of the experience for quite a bit less. It still ain’t cheap at $749 (you’ll probably be paying over $800 because you don’t just buy the base config of any Apple product) but the lower price combined with the XR basically being an XS with minor omissions and it definitely has a better chance.

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

when something comes with the premise of saving money and still retaining everything it really attracts lesser knowing customers even if they originally had no plan of paying 750$ for a phone. not mention it gives a fell of "value" which really isnt there. like the P20 seems like a P20 pro. its not

The Xr is only a good value because it looks like you have an iphone X,and you get a slightly better cpu if you're coming from an iphone 8. Still it's overpriced to me since I see the better value in something like a P20, or a Nokia. If you need a flasgship you can get a S8+ for less and it won't have a shitty screen resolution.

I just cant take this shit seriously. Xs and Xs Max are ridiculous names, its like apple does no longer bother with their slickness in design and naming.

And honestly, Xr is dogshit. A12 is cool and all, but i remember my old beloved moto X gen 1, with 0.6 size screen and the same screen resolution and, while it was fine for day to day tasks, i could clearly see pixels in videos or games. And this fucken screen is even bigger. I can see no justification for that 750 starter price, A12 alone is not worth that much and beyond that there is not a single special thing about this phone. If it was around 400 id praise apple for extending a graceful hand to those who deperatly want to be the cool kids but lack the funds to do so, witout resorting to parting with a kidney\dignity. At least it comes in funky colours... fuck me

While i kinda despise apple, this is more or less the first time they literally had nothing to show. New CPU means jack shit, 95% of the userbase wont use even 50% of it. Last year they at least had OLED and faceid, which was kinda cool, this year it just meh

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If you need a flasgship you can get a S8+ for less and it won't have a shitty screen resolution.

TBH though, I wished Samsung individually calibrated their displays.

That iPhone may have an oddball resolution but it’s known to be really bright and very accurate to both P3 and sRGB gamuts, for the iPhone 7, 8 and X. I still think they ought to go for a 401PPI option for the XR though 

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The 5C was in essence, an iPhone 5 with a plastic shell and a slightly larger battery that paled in comparison to the iPhone 5s which actually brought a more significant upgrade.

The iPhone XR is different. It’s basically the guts and design of the iPhone XS but with some omissions like an IPS LCD instead of OLED, a single rear camera instead of a dual one and no 3D Touch. However, it does deliver 90-95% of the experience for quite a bit less. It still ain’t cheap at $749 (you’ll probably be paying over $800 because you don’t just buy the base config of any Apple product) but the lower price combined with the XR basically being an XS with minor omissions and it definitely has a better chance.

I hope it sells well, because it would be the product line I bought from. It just almost seems like if most people buy Apple, they only want to be the high end models. As a status symbol. Which I don't really understand, I was really surprised at how well the iPhone X sold at launch, I saw a lot more people using it then I'd imagine.