Nvidia reps suggest 2060 and below will not have Ray Tracing support

AlTech

I don't know why this triple posted, mods could you please delete the copy.

Edited by TheDankKoosh

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

My only hope for these cards is that they have the same performance increase as the 2080 and the same MSRP as the previous gen. I refuse to buy a 2050 if it’s more than 130 USD, if only for a regular generational leap.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

1 hour ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Volta does not have RT Cores.

Of did I miss that info? Thought Volta only had Tensor Cores (not meant to do RT at all).

Dug this up;

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-talks-ray-tracing-and-volta-hardware/

"While DXR will run on Nvidia's existing hardware, RTX will require a Volta (or later) GPU."

44 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

Dug this up;

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-talks-ray-tracing-and-volta-hardware/

"While DXR will run on Nvidia's existing hardware, RTX will require a Volta (or later) GPU."

RTX is much more than just RT tho.

DLSS is part of RTX and only uses Tensor Cores.

I still doubt that a Titan V can be used to really do RT stuff. It may be able to brute force it like the BFV devs did it, but it won't be representative of anything.

20 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

If nvidia wants developers to support ray tracing, then they should have included it on their ENTIRE product line, otherwise dev support will be minimal or non existant just like we had with the now dying SLI. I also dont really get why they did this because nvidia likely has a patent on this stuff, so they may be able to collect rotalties for game engines that use ray tracing.

You seem to have lived under a rock for the past weeks. May want to read up on what RTX is, what RT is and who was sitting on the table when it was finalized.

No seriously, it has been said so many times, you must have tried really hard to ignore it. Spoiler: It is not an NVidia thing.

This doesnt seem like a very good move long term financially for nvidia, but it does seem like a quick way to save a buck but only short term. This will likely very much hobble the development of ray tracing.

Again, you should read up on the explanations before coming to conclusions which you don't even explain. 

You are arguing that it would be financially better for NVidia to push their own GPUs out of the market. We will need a seriously great explanation on why that would be a good idea financially.

Why would you buy a more expensove product when i can get last generation for less?

Because the new generation has two distinct features that the old generation does not. Don't like them? No issue. Don't buy it.

Wait for the next GPU launch without these features if you prefer that.

14 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Is this RTX ray tracing possible only on Nvidia's GPUs (because it's their technology) or would software made with ray tracing in mind work on AMD's GPUs too?

Software? Lol, software doesnt fix or xontain everything. You'd get pretty low framerates without tensor cores, especially on software

8 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Yes, you wanted that. It seems like 35-60% are not substantially for you.

They aren't substantial when you factor in the price increase, and that number probably isn't even accurate.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

fuck Nvidia. I am waiting for intel gpus

fuck them not not implementing a feature that the card wouldn't even be able to keep up with?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

fuck them not not implementing a feature that the card wouldn't even be able to keep up with?

I'm 85% sure that was a troll comment. Since #intel.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I don't really care about this honestly. If you're buying a 2060, you're on a budget wanting to play 1080p (or possibly now 1440p) at 60fps or so without gsync and such. If you are an enthusiast that plays 1440p fully detailed, you get a 2070 that can perform well with RTX (presumably). If you want to play 4K near max, you go with the 2080 or 2080Ti with the best ray tracing performance possible for now in gaming.

If GTX stays as the affordable "entry" level gaming option, that's fine by me. In order for RTX to be usable, you need a lot of horsepower to drive it. A card in the $300 or less range will suck at it. If you want RTX as a gaming feature or whatever, then you know which cards will do it for you.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

3 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

You seem to have lived under a rock for the past weeks.

I think most of this forum is living under a rock, its the same old comments every time there is a thread about anything these days.  Most people just read wccfetch and listen to adordedtv and call themselves enthusiasts.  

It doesn't seem to matter what the topic is about but it's always the same old rhetoric that gets dug up every time.  Someone bangs on about AMD being hot and slow, then another moron posts a picture of Linuz Tovald's sticking his finger up (I am sure they don't even know why as that rant was 6 years ago), you get the same old hatred for apple, then the stupid ass financial analysis regarding Intel and the cost of processors.  It really is mind boggling how people just react and don't bother to question why first.   I mean, even if you don't know the difference between RT and DxR or what the tensor cores do or even the what the AI uses, it is still easy to find the basic information and see that its fairly run of the mill stuff (even exciting for those interested in RT and AI) as far as tech evolution goes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Personally, I am completely okay with this, keeps the price kind of down which is pretty important for the xx60 cards.

but will they charge you $359.99 for 2060?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Ray tracing, it will become super popular like other Nvidia only features like VXAO and PhysX... Specially now that it will be only supported by a small subset of the GPU market, developers will fall over each other to implement it!

RTX is basically a gimmick to rationalise the high cost of their hardware, whether it is useful or not.

Hint - My money is in the 'not useful' camp.

What pisses me off is that apparently the 2060 is only 25% or so faster than the 1060.

What pisses me off even more is that AMD has been pissing away their gaming GPU market share with really piss-weak, barely competitive products.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

15 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

But the honest to goodness truth is that almost everyone has a ludicrously amount of financial waste in their lives that over the course of 2-6 months would easily cover the difference in price between a 200 dollars GPU and a 500-800 dollar one.

I'd rather keep eating eye fillet steak than put up with lesser steak, terrible life choices :).

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'd rather keep eating eye fillet steak than put up with lesser steak, terrible life choices :).

How much steak do you not want to be raytraced in your life!?!

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Dunno about RayTraced but I do MouthTrace it.

So seems to be that new RTX 2000 series will be even bigger failure than GTX 400 series mainly because of unreal price points. GTX 1080/Ti is so much better deal it's not even funny. 

22 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Is this RTX ray tracing possible only on Nvidia's GPUs (because it's their technology) or would software made with ray tracing in mind work on AMD's GPUs too?

Ray tracing is a compute function. AMD GPUs are better at compute than Nvidia.  Also based on what AMD has told us so far the asynchronous compute capabilities of their cards allow them to run Radeon Rays 2.0 with less performance impact.

So they will outperform current Nvidia parts at ray tracing, but still be slower than Turing parts with dedicated RTX cores.

Ray tracing is true bullshit until its gets handled at least, at 1440p @80fps on average, on 70/80 series cards.

Who will buy RTX 2080Ti to play games at 1080p 60fps ? 1200$

Who will buy RTX 2080 to play games at 1080p 45fps ? 800$

Who will buy RTX 2070 to play games at 1080p 30fps ? 600$

38 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Raytracing doesn't work as advertised. The second my money is out of sight it's gone 9_9

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

12 minutes ago, EOZ said:

Ray tracing is true bullshit until its gets handled at least, at 1440p @80fps on average, on 70/80 series cards.

Who will buy RTX 2080Ti to play games at 1080p 60fps ? 1200$

Who will buy RTX 2080 to play games at 1080p 45fps ? 800$

Who will buy RTX 2070 to play games at 1080p 30fps ? 600$

Well, they are already sold out so... The question should be "Who will be actually using it?" 

And I hope it can work miracles in Blender once it gets support.

21 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Well, they are already sold out so... The question should be "Who will be actually using it?"

So what can i say let's laugh hard when actual true benchmarks will be released! Can't wait that fest. It's really amazing how much sheeps (brainwashed people) live on this planet.