POLL: Do you keep your PC on the floor or desk?

reniat

Do you keep your PC on the floor or desk?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Floor or desk?

• Floor (including PCs on top of stuff at floor level.)
    • Desk

Desk to avoid dust.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Ditch the C70 for something with high feet so you can place it on the floor

Like an NZXT S340

Great compact ATX case. Very affordable.

better the elite

I tend to put my PC on my desk as my main setup always has a windowed case.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I know you say a random plank of wood would ruin the aesthetics but if it were a non-random plank. As In if you got some wood and cut to the size of the feet so you could hardly see the wood it might work.

21 minutes ago, ANDuff said:

I know you say a random plank of wood would ruin the aesthetics but if it were a non-random plank. As In if you got some wood and cut to the size of the feet so you could hardly see the wood it might work.

Or even use what my brother in law used. I cut him a custom piece of acrylic in black to slide underneath his tower. Works perfect and looks good as well. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

If your computer is tiny... like a mini-ITX form factor system or smaller, put it on your desk. On the floor will make things hard to reach.

If it is amid tower or larger, it is designed to be on the floor, and should be on the floor.

Putting such a large on your desk provides 0 benefit. Unless you live in a super dusty environment (which I would suggest to get your lungs check out first, if that was the case), than on the floor. even if you have carpet. Just clean your dust filter out (hence the point of having them), once a week, to a month (depending if you have pets and environment and air quality), and you are good. Once a year, bring a can of compressed air and clean the inside to keep the heatsink and fans clean for optimal operation.

I would vouch for getting some shelf with wheels and use that. Better than keeping it on the floor and still doesn't take away space from desk. Thats solution I would do if I'd ever get such stupid "design" desk as that. It looks like that table is designed for laptops, AIOs or something like Mac Mini.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just found some old particle board in my shed that I cut to size and varnished, along with adding some little plastic castor wheels to keep it stable. It looks great, and keeps my PC off of the carpet.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:47 PM, huilun02 said:

Ditch the C70 for something with high feet so you can place it on the floor

Like an NZXT S340

Great compact ATX case. Very affordable.

Nah, I'm too sentimental over my ol' C70. Plus, i found the perfect sized piece of particle board that actually looks pretty good when I varnished it.

• 1 year later...

Can we have a both option for people w/ multiple PCs?

My machine is on the floor. You might have been able to get a bit more granularity in the poll by asking whether it's on a hardwood floor/under desk area or on a carpet.

Some folks have their pc under their desk, but not on the floor - my current desk has a printer shelf near the bottom that would fit a matx build quite nicely.

I'm in the process of switching places(college). Generally on my desk at home, but I have a dresser next to my desk that's the same height, and it sits atop of that

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

2 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

Select the option you prefer or for your main rig.

That doesn't really help. I'll just average them.

my big ass pc is on my desk (vengeance c70 case) but my desk is homemade and fairly large, my future build will be an sff buid sitting on my desk too (got the case this week)

Desk because I like to look at my PCs every once in a while :P

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I must have it on the floor due to short ethernet cable. Also that way i can see the RGB. I dint have a propper mounting for my PC in a way i can see both. My glass desk isnt very big.

I have my pc on the floor since my desk is my primary working area, and there wouldn't be space for it after taking into account space for my monitor, my laptop, and whatever materials/junk I'm working with each day. I have usurped some of the cat area behind me for a headphone stand/cable storage.

My case is plain black with no RGB whatsoever (Carbide 200R), only a white power indicator, and for as long as I'm able I'll keep RGB away from my machines. The only LED's in my case are diagnostic LED's on my motherboard. So it isn't much to look at, but I'm not in the business of spending more money for the PC equivalent of glitter.

I would've liked to have my PC on my desk top but it's too big to fit my kid's sized desk, and alas must be on the floor, on a sheet of wood for dust and static protection against the carpet.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I have my pc on the floor since my desk is my primary working area, and there wouldn't be space for it after taking into account space for my monitor, my laptop, and whatever materials/junk I'm working with each day. I have usurped some of the cat area behind me for a headphone stand/cable storage.

My case is plain black with no RGB whatsoever (Carbide 200R), only a white power indicator, and for as long as I'm able I'll keep RGB away from my machines. The only LED's in my case are diagnostic LED's on my motherboard. So it isn't much to look at, but I'm not in the business of spending more money for the PC equivalent of glitter.

Y not get monitor arms to hold up them then u get so much free space its very freeing as some would say. A good one is like 25-30US for double monitor arms. 

Can u not GET ONE??? they very cheap and look nice not gonna lie mine looks very SMexy. Aren't u jelly 

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz 

I bought a new Lian Li case and want to put it on top of my desk, but my cat has other ideas =/ .. I think if I put a mouse pad on the other side of my desk she'll lay there. I have a huge mouse pad so she uses 1/3 of it as a bed. Dope.

I have mine on the floor for 2 reasons. I don't have a large desk so there isn't much space and I would be way too afraid that I would knock the thing over. It's kind of why I have my current desktop up against my desk that way it would be quite hard to knock it over.