Private Internet Access’ “No-Logging” Claims Proven True in Court ...Again!

I personally don't use any VPN within the jurisdiction of the "Fourteen Eyes"

**adjusts tin-foil hat**

...but I did find this article about Private Internet Access very cool and might even make me consider using them later down the line.

https://torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-no-logging-claims-proven-true-again-in-court-180606/

It's good to see that the company is being honest and proving it. However, given the track record of the UK (where I'm based) on these types of things, I'm also worried that reports like this will cause the government to attempt to ban VPNs. They've already said they want to ban end-to-end encryption, so a ban on VPNs wouldn't surprise me, especially when the government is proving again and again that they don't understand how a lot of technology works. 

Good job, PIA. Hopefully the legislation doesn’t start running VPN’s down. Though, I’m sure if they were, the announcements for such proposals would be hushed until the day of voting.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

You may want to update your post to follow guidelines 

28 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'm also worried that reports like this will cause the government to attempt to ban VPNs. They've already said they want to ban end-to-end encryption, so a ban on VPNs wouldn't surprise me, especially when the government is proving again and again that they don't understand how a lot of technology works. 

China tried it with their "Great Firewall" which not only blocks prohibited sites like Google services but also VPN connections but there are still a handful of VPNs that can circumvent their great firewall and a lot of Chinese citizens can access the full web. If UK even considers doing something remotely similar, it will be doomed to fail. Just look on what happened when Russia banned Telegram but it backfired on their faces.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

But do they sponsor FBI investigators and the court judge?

Hey, even FBI agents and judges need PIA to browse whatever the hell they want. I'm not pointing any fingers, just saying, we're all humans, we all have needs.

like in the other previous news about this, it wasn't proved they didn't kept records, it was only proved they said in court they don't keep records. Neither in this news or the other one there is any mention PIA was searched. It's a very important distinction. 

I'm not saying they log or don't log, i have no idea, still the news story is factually incorrect.

According to the indictment, Colby illegally accessed Embarcadero Media email accounts in July 2015. Then, in September 2015, several of the company’s websites were hacked to display the Guy Fawkes image associated with Anonymous. The message “Unbalanced Journalism for profit at the cost of human right. Brought to you by the Almanac” was also left behind.

Facing more than two decades in prison and fines totaling several hundred thousand dollars, Colby pleaded not guilty and was freed on bail. On May 29, 2018, Colby’s trial began in federal court in San Jose. Palo Alto Online has been reporting (1,2) on the case, which has thrown up something of interest to VPN users.

I feel the bigger story here is that some dude may get decades in prison for defacing a few websites - which should not realistically take very long to change them back to normal for any remotely decent web developer. Meanwhile, we have people that rape and murder others only getting months of jail time, if any time at all.

PIA quotes that "In light of recent news, we would like our clients to rest assured that, as has been proven in US court, Private Internet Access does not store any type of logs and never will. Thank you for helping us fight the good fight." If there are no logs stored... How can PIA prove that they don't store logs if there are none to collect in the first place? 

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/25531/is-the-latest-announcement-private-internet-access-does-not-log-a-response-to-the-purevpn-fiasco#latest

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/25521/private-internet-access-does-not-log

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

If there are no logs stored... How can PIA prove that they don't store logs if there are none to collect in the first place? 

The same way someone proves they don't have any drugs in their pockets. They show the police officer everything in their pockets.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The same way someone proves they don't have any drugs in their pockets. They show the police officer everything in their pockets.

But then they've only proven they don't have drugs in their pockets

13 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

But then they've only proven they don't have drugs in their pockets

You're missing the point. PIA obviously showed their servers to the FBI.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

-- Thread moved to General Discussion as it doesn't comply with the Tech News and Reviews subforum guidelines --

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

... If UK even considers doing something remotely similar, it will be doomed to fail...

The UK government is so inept when it comes to technology, any attempt to ban certain things will likely end up in them somehow disconnecting the UK as a whole and costing trillions of pounds. Farcical doesn't even begin to describe our government when it comes to technology.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

China tried it with their "Great Firewall" which not only blocks prohibited sites like Google services but also VPN connections but there are still a handful of VPNs that can circumvent their great firewall and a lot of Chinese citizens can access the full web. If UK even considers doing something remotely similar, it will be doomed to fail. Just look on what happened when Russia banned Telegram but it backfired on their faces.

Yeah, good luck with that. VPNs like NordVPN and Astrill etc get over that easily. And so many services were banned because of that it is just ridiculous.

I don't know, even after all these cases I still don't trust VPNs in the 14 eyes jurisdiction, but that's just my paranoia I think. I mean it's cool that they were tested in court without no issues, but still.

They are so cool that my university blocks access to and from their servers. School regulations do mention that the use of VPNs is prohibited, but the late Opera VPN worked fine, maybe because it was hosted  in servers that were also used for other Opera services, so blocking it might have made the Oper web browser useless. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

55 minutes ago, ElZamo92 said:

They are so cool that my university blocks access to and from their servers. School regulations do mention that the use of VPNs is prohibited, but the late Opera VPN worked fine, maybe because it was hosted  in servers that were also used for other Opera services, so blocking it might have made the Oper web browser useless. 

University does? Like with your own PC? That's horse shit.

Get a dedicated vpn. Get like a digitalocean droplet or something. Hell vultr does a one click openvpn install, but their cap that to the 10$ a mo tier.

Running openvpn on a good vps with a good connection is fast as shit (good enough for gaming sometimes) and wont be blocked, guaranteed.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 6/7/2018 at 12:53 AM, error500 said:

**adjusts tin-foil hat**

same here homie...

Bolivia.

On 07/06/2018 at 7:20 AM, Bcat00 said:

They are a sponsor of the site, just saying.

For what it's worth, companies that advertise, either on LTT videos or on the forum, are given no special treatment in terms of what is or isn't allowed to be posted. In the past, people have posted reasoned concerns about sponsors that have led to the sponsor being dropped, so both positive and negative stuff about sponsors is absolutely fine here.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

For what it's worth, companies that advertise, either on LTT videos or on the forum, are given no special treatment in terms of what is or isn't allowed to be posted. In the past, people have posted reasoned concerns about sponsors that have led to the sponsor being dropped, so both positive and negative stuff about sponsors is absolutely fine here.

Think you misunderstood the intent of my comment, it was meant as a joke

On 6/7/2018 at 1:34 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

University does? Like with your own PC? That's horse shit.

Get a dedicated vpn. Get like a digitalocean droplet or something. Hell vultr does a one click openvpn install, but their cap that to the 10$ a mo tier.

Running openvpn on a good vps with a good connection is fast as shit (good enough for gaming sometimes) and wont be blocked, guaranteed.

My uni does as well, along with not allowing other DNS servers to be used.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz