KickStarter Ossic Disapears

Knifepro01playz

How have nobody posted this yet:

image.jpg

South Park teaching you how to use Kickstarter

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Kickstarter doesn’t work for hardware does it? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Do you have any substantial evidence any work was done before, during or after the Kickstarter campaign?

If not, it absolutely fucking is a Ponzi scheme.

Of course people that encourage this kind of garbage like crowd funding dress it as 'It's an investment, it always carries risks!"

In reality, many of you end up giving money to this fucking guy:

Did you mean to quote me?

Kickstarter scheme do not fit the definition of a Ponzi scheme, I even gave the definition. and I will quote my self to answer the rest.

...but that by no means it does not mean their is no foul play, but from the OP I don't see any. But I did not read the article to I am not 100% sure.

Added the bold, because I didn't proof read.

And I feel like many people act like they expect kickstarter to be risk free.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Ponzi?

this would be more of the "Exit scam" type. which is when a product or service is offered/promised, backed by investors, but then the company mysteriously backs out with all of the investors money. Perhaps not even having a product in the first place.

Which theoretically kickstarter is a really easy way to get away with if you write your legal policies correctly.

@Misanthrope

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Another kickstarter failed, oh well. 

Kinda what happens when all the company has to offer its customer is a promise.

The guy right now

4cdcc917235273ac2cf1b443ff5eb0d30edbaa24

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I'll never support something on Kickstarter or like sites. I can see them as a great means for smaller developers to get into manufacturing but there is a side reality to this. 

No company wants to use crowd funding. Crowd funding campaigns have very low success rates and often require very limited goals. The reason why you crowd fund your company is because traditional funding means have turned you down. Why did they turn you down? Why should I give you money if someone with more experience in investing didn't think it was a good idea? 

Im not saying you shouldn't back a project. Some of them are amazing ideas. The problem is that there is something usually wrong with the idea. Even if the idea is great, the people running the show might be too new to the market to actually succeed. Or maybe there are other issues. 

Only 'invest' the money you are ok with losing. Because you might as well call it a charity donation.

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The thing is, this is nothing like actually investing in company where you end up with a share in the company. Rather, Kickstarters portray themselves like a store where you purchase tiers and get a finished product and/or other goodies of non-value return. And since it's a store with virtually no consumer protections, that's where things turn ugly. 

Kickstarter does, but people understand what Kickstarter is and that is not a store front, and from that should accept the inherent risk with handing over money for a promise to essentially strangers most of them with no former track record of supplying a product.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

This is straight up fraud isn't it?  

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

No really because you never bought any thing, you never signed any contract any thing so you're not entitled for any thing juridically speaking.

What you did do was a Patreon like thingy to fund the idea and in exchange you were promised something but there is absolutely nothing obligating any one to give you any thing, that's the beauty on it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

No really because you never bought any thing, you never signed any contract any thing so you're not entitled for any thing juridically speaking.

What you did do was a Patreon like thingy to fund the idea and in exchange you were promised something but there is absolutely nothing obligating any one to give you any thing, that's the beauty on it.

so basically it's like paying for an IMAX ticket to watch a Tyler perry movie. it's a complete loss either way . you pay something & you get nothing of value back.

Details separate people.

Dude goes to china and thinks that he can make a bazillion dollars putting a kickstarter campaign around some white label shit from Shenzen.  Then Mr. Chen realizes that he's dealing with someone with a bigger bankroll than he originally thought and jacks up all the pricing.  game over for your kickstarter campaign.    He was probably paying himself a fat $250k a year salary too.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Yes that is why it is called Funding and not Purchasing :3

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Yes that is why it is called Funding and not Purchasing :3

there's no way to make sure or know if the funds were misused? just for the sake of knowing something worth the time/money spend.

Details separate people.

When it comes to money:

1. credit is for things you absolutely need but can't afford outright (exercise control)

2. never buy a promise (adopt as a matter of principal)

3. if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. (exercise caution)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's what you get for buying into the "3D sound" meme

xD

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

10 hours ago, Knifepro01playz said:

Original article: https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/20/after-tens-of-thousands-of-pre-orders-high-end-3d-headphones-startup-ossic-disappears/

After a successfull Kickstarter Raising $5.9 million and Tens of thousands of Pre-Orders for their much looked forward to "3D Sound" Headphones, Have announced on the weekend that they will be shutting down the company and all Kick Starter Backers Will NOT recieve a refund

Tech Crunch Reported "The company raised $2.7 million on Kickstarter and $3.2 million on Indiegogo for their Ossic X headphones which they pitched as a pair of high-end head-tracking headphones that would be perfect for listening to 3D audio, especially in a VR environment. While the company also raised a “substantial seed investment,” in a letter on the Ossic website the company blamed the slow adoption of virtual reality alongside their crowdfunding campaign stretch goals which bogged down their R&D team."

I really Hope they rethink what they are doing with the no refunds as it is complete BS that all thoose people who have put $1000 in each will loose it all even if they could do a 50% refund would be better then nothing.

They could be facing a fraud investigation if they can't prove where $5.9 million has gone.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

43 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

If the money is not spent on adding value (profit. IP patents etc. shareholder value etc ) to the company raising the finance

Yes it is.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

5 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

They could be facing a fraud investigation if they can't prove where $5.9 million has gone.

Hmm, if i made a couple of millions in fraud, normally the first thing i would do is move to another country where X countries law can't get to me. 

Then i will buy a house, start another fraud scheme and keep rolling while living a life of luxury. 

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

Hmm, if i made a couple of millions in fraud, normally the first thing i would do is move to another country where X countries law can't get to me. 

Then i will buy a house, start another fraud scheme and keep rolling while living a life of luxury. 

The internet and sharing of information makes such schemes harder.

Certainly no company should simply disappear when they were given $3.2 million in start up money.

That money should of generated a return or value. Intellectual property.

Value that should exceed the initial start up funding.

It sounds like it's not been properly managed.

If people were taking salary as well with no value generated. Well an argument can be made that is fraud.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

this would be more of the "Exit scam" type. which is when a product or service is offered/promised, backed by investors, but then the company mysteriously backs out with all of the investors money. Perhaps not even having a product in the first place.

Which theoretically kickstarter is a really easy way to get away with if you write your legal policies correctly.

@Misanthrope

As long as we agree it's a fucking scam.

Honestly this discussion over what constitute what type of scam reminds me of Multi-Level scammers that sue if they're called Pyramids even though they just added another element to the older pyramid scheme.

-------

Current Rig

-------

25 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

You are assuming too much about the internet. Such schemes can be easily carried out if you know the right person. 

There are so many failed projects. I guess people love throwing away their money.

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

They have tens of thousands of unfulfilled pre-orders, but at the same time claiming that there isn't enough demand for the product due to slow adoption of virtual reality?
Sounds like bullshit to me.

Could be - or they lied about the feasibility of Kickstarter being the sole revenue source, and they actually were relying on third party investors and orders, and maybe that fell through?

But it being a scam, or simply completely and utterly mismanaged, is more likely.

Frankly, half the Kickstarters that fail, don't do so because they are scams. It's because of:

1. Unrealistic goals (not funding enough money for what they're offering), and

2. Terrible business/project management (wasting money unnecessarily, not knowing how to do things efficiently, etc).

9 hours ago, -BirdiE- said:

The problem with looking at it as an investment is that when people invest in risky start ups, it's for a percentage ownership in the company. You're assuming risk, but you also have the potential for reward beyond your initial investment. Also, if the company later on realizes their business model is not feasible, all remaining assets are split by the investors. In this case it looks like they took the unspent money, took the assets, and ran. Pre-purchasing with only the potential for loss is not the same thing as investing.

With that being said, I agree that people paying for things like this on Kickstarter are silly if they get upset. It's a broken platform. There are little to no controls to hold the start up accountable, so you should very much consider it lost money if you buy in.

Kickstarter is an investment. It's a bad investment, but it's still an investment. You're not pre-ordering a product, because in most cases, there is no product yet. You're pre-ordering the idea of a product.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

38 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Kickstarter is an investment. It's a bad investment, but it's still an investment. You're not pre-ordering a product, because in most cases, there is no product yet. You're pre-ordering the idea of a product.

I mean, if we want to play it that way technically everything you spend money or time on is an investment. Buying a banana is an investment. Going to the gym is an investment.

But in normal financial terms, an investment is something that you purchase in hopes that it appreciates in monetary value. If you invest in a start-up company you take the risk that you lose money in hopes that the company, and thus your share in the company, appreciates in value and you net a return on your money. Purchasing a product, or even pre-ordering a product, would not be considered an investment in financial terms.