KickStarter Ossic Disapears

Knifepro01playz

Original article: https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/20/after-tens-of-thousands-of-pre-orders-high-end-3d-headphones-startup-ossic-disappears/

After a successfull Kickstarter Raising $5.9 million and Tens of thousands of Pre-Orders for their much looked forward to "3D Sound" Headphones, Have announced on the weekend that they will be shutting down the company and all Kick Starter Backers Will NOT recieve a refund

Tech Crunch Reported "The company raised $2.7 million on Kickstarter and $3.2 million on Indiegogo for their Ossic X headphones which they pitched as a pair of high-end head-tracking headphones that would be perfect for listening to 3D audio, especially in a VR environment. While the company also raised a “substantial seed investment,” in a letter on the Ossic website the company blamed the slow adoption of virtual reality alongside their crowdfunding campaign stretch goals which bogged down their R&D team."

I really Hope they rethink what they are doing with the no refunds as it is complete BS that all thoose people who have put $1000 in each will loose it all even if they could do a 50% refund would be better then nothing.

You need to add a quote box for the article’s material and personal thoughts. 

I wish the backers the best of luck on the lawsuit as 1K is a very significant investment for the common man. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

And this is why I don't believe in Kickstarter as a model. If the slightest problem occurs people take their money and run. Also who the fuck pays $1K for headphones even if they're on the market already?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

wonder where the fanboy calling this headphone revolutionary went

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

20 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

And this is why I don't believe in Kickstarter as a model. If the slightest problem occurs people take their money and run. Also who the fuck pays $1K for headphones even if they're on the market already?

People need to accept it as a gamble when they go into it and that they might lose any money they hand over. The fact some want to file a class action lawsuit shows these people considered it more that they were buying a product. Which is the wrong way to look at it

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 minute ago, Rupe said:

People need to accept it as a gamble when they go into it and that they might lose any money they hand over. The fact some want to file a class action lawsuit shows these people considered it more that they were buying a product. Which is the wrong way to look at it

I mean if you back it you kinda expect to get a thing sooner or later.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

5 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

I mean if you back it you kinda expect to get a thing sooner or later.

I mean you can weigh up the probabilities as to what you should expect, if it's a company with no former history of producing a product it's definitely more risky. Such is the case with this, and as we have seen with other projects in the past

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 hour ago, Knifepro01playz said:

After a successfull Kickstarter Raising $5.9 million and Tens of thousands of Pre-Orders for their much looked forward to "3D Sound" Headphones

1 hour ago, Knifepro01playz said:

in a letter on the Ossic website the company blamed the slow adoption of virtual reality alongside their crowdfunding campaign stretch goals which bogged down their R&D team

They have tens of thousands of unfulfilled pre-orders, but at the same time claiming that there isn't enough demand for the product due to slow adoption of virtual reality?
Sounds like bullshit to me.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

58 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

no refund is unacceptable 

I don't think so, kickstarter is clearly a funding mechanism to gain money to finish developing and to release a product. but like any start up their is a high risk of failure. The people that pay should of know this, they should of been ok with the idea of losing the money and not getting anything out of it, other wise don't fund this kickstarter. If you really wanted to product then wait for it to release and buy it then, it you don't want the risk of losing money.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Ponzi?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Ponzi?

Nah.
Ponzi schemes at least pay out the early investors.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

Ponzi?

operation where the operator provides fabricated reports and generates returns for older investors through revenue paid by new investors, rather than from legitimate business activities or profit of financial trading. 

By definition no its not, but that by no means their is no foul play, but from the OP I don't see any. But I did not read the article to I am not 100% sure.

22 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I don't think so, kickstarter is clearly a funding mechanism to gain money to finish developing and to release a product. but like any start up their is a high risk of failure. The people that pay should of know this, they should of been ok with the idea of losing the money and not getting anything out of it, other wise don't fund this kickstarter. If you really wanted to product then wait for it to release and buy it then, it you don't want the risk of losing money.

makes sense, it is an investment kickstarters. still sucks you don't get a refund 

i think people are willing to pay this time so they can reserve one. 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

makes sense, it is an investment kickstarters. still sucks you don't get a refund 

i think people are willing to pay this time so they can reserve one. 

It does suck, I would be nice if they can do a refund but usually when it gets to this point all the money is gone.

I just get annoyed when people act like its a pre-order from amazon, when its not. People need to think twice on if they should fund it. here is some basic questions.

Does the kickstarter seem possible?

Do they have prototypes or products already made?

Do they have a business plan?

Have they worked on other successful projects before?

Yay for kickstarter being what it is!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I wish the backers the best of luck on the lawsuit as 1K is a very significant investment for the common man. 

Ah yes, those plebeians. Ridiculous that they should consider a mere $1000 a lot of money.

it's time

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:
3 hours ago, Technicolors said:

no refund is unacceptable 

The problem with looking at it as an investment is that when people invest in risky start ups, it's for a percentage ownership in the company. You're assuming risk, but you also have the potential for reward beyond your initial investment. Also, if the company later on realizes their business model is not feasible, all remaining assets are split by the investors. In this case it looks like they took the unspent money, took the assets, and ran. Pre-purchasing with only the potential for loss is not the same thing as investing.

With that being said, I agree that people paying for things like this on Kickstarter are silly if they get upset. It's a broken platform. There are little to no controls to hold the start up accountable, so you should very much consider it lost money if you buy in.

How to become a millionaire in 201X.

1. Make Kickstarter about literally anything

2. Promise it to be THE BEST THING EVER MADE

3. Literally do nothing but fancy renders and fake commercials

4. Get all the $$$

5. Shut the company down and have a happy life. 

Edit: oh yeah and blame someone for something whenever you want. Either in the beginning so you can say 'damn, but told ya' in the end, or in the end so you can say 'damn, f#ck the others' later. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

By definition no its not, but that by no means their is no foul play, but from the OP I don't see any. But I did not read the article to I am not 100% sure.

Do you have any substantial evidence any work was done before, during or after the Kickstarter campaign?

If not, it absolutely fucking is a Ponzi scheme.

Of course people that encourage this kind of garbage like crowd funding dress it as 'It's an investment, it always carries risks!"

In reality, many of you end up giving money to this fucking guy:

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, Rupe said:

The thing is, this is nothing like actually investing in company where you end up with a share in the company. Rather, Kickstarters portray themselves like a store where you purchase tiers and get a finished product and/or other goodies of non-value return. And since it's a store with virtually no consumer protections, that's where things turn ugly. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

The $1,000 tier is for the dev kit and only only 80 people ordered that. Nearly 10,000 people payed between $200-$280 for the headphones. The kicksharter page says dev kits were supposed to be delivered in Aug of 2016... So not too surprising that it didn't come to fruition.

Hope the backers can see some kind of recourse, but how have people not realized by now that if you back a project you have to consider that you might get absolutely nothing a real and likely possibility.