Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheTechnerd

Show off your old and retro computer parts

I'm using a 7200 RPM WD Red 4 TB SATA in my Pentium 4 rig actually. (The Shuttle 875p supports SATA.)

The Schnoz

I'm currently restoring this machine.  It has had 3 lives so far.  It started out as a Zeos 486 33 ISA, then to a Zeos 486 DX100 ISA/VLB and then to a Supermicro socket 7 Overdrive Pentium 200MHz w/MXX ISA/PCI.  It is the last one that is being restored.  The previous boards are in storage and this build allows me to play many games up to around the Quake era.
1.44 floppy, 1.2 floppy, Kenwood TrueX 72, 2GB SCSI Barracuda Drive (x2), Pentium Overdrive 200MHz, 64MB EDO 60ns ram, Hayes ISA smart modem, Sound Blaster Awe64 ISA PNP, Matrox Millennium PCI, Intel 10/100 Ethernet PCI and Adaptec 2940w SCSI adapter.  It is still running on the original Lite-On 300w AT power supply from 1992.

I have lots of other old equipment.  I'll have to scrounge up some pics of those.  Have an IBM PS/2 50Z w/MicroMaster 386 board, etc.  Fun stuff.  Also tons of adapters I've kept over the years.

20190728_105018.jpg

20190728_105029.jpg

20190728_105044.jpg

Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme, Intel i9 9900K (5.1GHz, no AVX offset, 4.9GHz cache and 1.295V), 16G G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair H115i Pro, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 512 GB (x2), Corsair RM1000i PSU, Windows 10 Pro (1903).

22 hours ago, X-System said:

What SCSI device you use ?

Before, I used four 36GB Hitachi Ultrastar 15,000 RPM SCSI SCA-80 hard disk drive in RAID-0, connected on Adaptec SCSI Card 29320A-R PCI-X 133 MHz, in my old rig dual Xeon Prestonia LV 1.6 @ 2.61 GHz (+63,1%). It was a beast (+160 MB/s seq) 😀 It was 13 years ago.

Would love to see pictures of that system, should keep the banner in your signature ;) 

91116.png

I've only used air cooling, my old signature was a lie ❤️

Just now, quakeguy said:

Y U DO DIS?

it's the first drive i could find, and although it's not exactly "retro", it's much faster than IDE and cable management is much easier, since everything in there is a hair away from a fan.

The Schnoz

13 minutes ago, quakeguy said:

My gaming rig needs more gigabytes, seems kinda wasted on a Pentium 4 retro PC.

Capture.PNG

F

The Schnoz

On 8/21/2019 at 4:42 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Looks to be a Pentium MMX going by the lettering.

Yep. At some point years ago someone had a detailed response about it but I can't seem to find the reply. I think I'll add a disclaimer next to the question since people are still answering it 6 years later.  

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.4GHZ GPU - MSI GTX 760 OC Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

12 hours ago, quakeguy said:

My gaming rig needs more gigabytes, seems kinda wasted on a Pentium 4 retro PC.

Capture.PNG

Heh, that's the point where you do the ol shuffling around all the time when you have a file that is x big and you have no drives with that amount of space left.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.4GHZ GPU - MSI GTX 760 OC Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I need to prove a point to tech illiterate SecondLife people. 

https://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

I have a 3.4ghz LGA 775 Pentium 4, I don't have any socket 478 stuff working right now.

1gb of 400mhz DDR

But I don't have an AGP 6600 or Radeon 9500, what would be some good agp equivalents? 

I have that 7300GT from xfx but it's ddr2 and not ddr3 so it's not as good as the 6600gt, if it was a ddr3 version it would be better.

Also a 9500, I've got a 9250 and 9200, but I also have the GeForce 4 ti 4600 which is about on par but doesn't support dx9.

Any suggestions? Basically I'm just trying to prove that the minimum listed requirements are entirely bullshit.

Degenerate furry trash.

I still use my Athlon 5350.

Can and should are two different things. Lol. I have a laptop that I think hits those minimum specs, not sure on the chipset graphics tho...

Actually my atom laptop can hit bare minimum, but I don't have Windows installed or do I want to make an account for anything. You can get an atom laptop like that for like $30 or under on eBay now. They're ok with Linux for a super light travel device if you don't want a tablet. Basically disposable laptop you can take to China and not worry about it being confiscated or bugged or whatever lol.

Own is a strong word, I don't think you own any games that require an internet connection and a client to play them. You're borrowing them on the whim of others who can at any point revoke your ownership of them for any reason they see fit.

if you've ever wondered how powerful a laptop dual core from 2006 is, here ya go

110 cpu z multithreaded score

even with optimal airflow to keep the cpu under 60c under full load

Untitled.png

Degenerate furry trash.

Here's my BBC Micro, (one of three) circa 1981 ... configured with twin 40/80 switchable 5.25" drives, a 6502 co-processor and a datacentre fitted. That gives it the ability to have a "winchester" hard drive inside which is mimicked on a CF card and it can read Fat 32 USB sticks.

IMG_0559.thumb.JPG.5e9a1666634cd51352c418401c4fb40b.JPG

The "joyboard" project is a system whereby I traced all the tracks on the keyboard and wired them out to a system of jacks which I cabled to mirror the keyboard traces. The net result is I can hook up home made "joysticks" and buttons so I can play all those games with awkward keys. When I was a teen, I worked to assemble "brand new" 8086 PC's with a "turbo boost" of 8Mhz with 640K of ram fitted with a 5Meg Winchester hard drive. Man... this thread makes me feel old 😄

joy-06.jpg.a4915952ca8e3433baa67b0675c47d24.jpgjoy-13.jpg.3eac316bb6cba91436946e16e14e2f94.jpgjoy-24.jpg.ba1832e24e298d13ebc0f3ce6b045a7b.jpgjoy-50.jpg.f8effafe01db27b24ac664dbada3495f.jpg

I can see from a lot of these posts I need to dig out one or two of my systems and take some pics and post them. The 486s would impress some of you. My first self-built system is an AMD K6 166mhz based system, running Windows 95. The first computer I ever had in the house was a Tandy TRS-80. Most pocket calculators of today (they still exist) run a CPU faster than it had.

2 hours ago, Genwyn said:

if you've ever wondered how powerful a laptop dual core from 2006 is, here ya go

110 cpu z multithreaded score

even with optimal airflow to keep the cpu under 60c under full load

Untitled.png

See if it'll go to a Core 2 Duo. My Tecra M5 allowed me to go from a T2600 to a C2D T7600.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

See if it'll go to a Core 2 Duo. My Tecra M5 allowed me to go from a T2600 to a C2D T7600.

its a z61t, and it will, but theres no real point to doing that for this machines use case

Degenerate furry trash.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Working on packing up a box of stuff for someone. I don't think it'll all fit in one box. The FDD/Card reader is a weird one, but kind of cool.

Always kinda wanted one of those FDD/card reader combos, not gonna lie. I can't resist the quirkiness.

Then again I may just end up having to get one of those things that lets you shove a floppy and slim optical drive into a single 5.25" bay for whatever XP rig ends up being shoved into an Enthoo Pro M at *insert date here*.

So i've been messing around with my dual p3 some more, thought i'd post some progress here.... if anyone even cares :P.

Been waiting on a PCI sata card, that arrived over a week ago, the card worked fine but it never detects any HDD's, not in any system i have here. tried drives from 36GB up to 1TB. Nothing gets detected. So that card goes RMA, hoping to replace it some time soon.

While troubleshooting the new card i finally ran into posts about my old card where other ppl had problems with the pc locking up while booting as well. Someone figured out it was silicon image (chipset manufacturer on both sata cards i got now) broke compatibility, with older systems, with a bios update. I happened to have updated the card to the very latest some time ago so i flashed an older confirmed working bios on it.

At first it didn't work but today i decided to, just to be sure, try all the pci slots the system has. It actually started working (the old card, not the new lol). So i finally got into windows (installed on a PATA drive) with a SATA drive attached and detectable without a crash, yay. I cleared all my old drives from any partitions or data some time ago so it wasn't even initialized. After doing that and formatting.... i got an error, "windows cannot format this drive", or something like that.

Hoped it was just formatting that was the problem so i formatted the drive in another pc and tried installing windows on it.... that worked up until it had to reboot and actually show a windows logo while booting, it crashed immediately. Not a BSOD or anything... just a black screen.

After inspecting the system more closely i've found a dented capacitor between the bottom 2 PCI slots (those give me the most trouble atm, the sata or lan cards wont work there). This might have happened long ago and be something the previous owner did or it might be something i did. It's just a tiny dent in the top, can this break the capacitor? Anyway, looking the entire system over, i've also found a blown cap above the left CPU. Hopefully that cap is the same as the ones i've already replaced, i ordered some extra's at the time.

So, more soldering in my future i suppose. Just wanted to say i'm still working on the damn thing.... pics are still coming at some point, hopefully. Unless i break this thing, then it's not really worth it, is it?

I have no signature

Well. Some video cards work and some don't but the shocker is a card that recently worked does not work now, my trusty old GTX 650. The 7600GT shows up, the 7800 GTX works but it's OpenGL version is very old, the 9800GT works but has a very hot and very loud inductor on it. I thought it had some bad solder joints at them but re-soldering them didn't make any difference.

8 hours ago, flibberdipper said:

mmmmmmm yes. #DualSocketMustardRace

I can technically agree with this, I have a pair of Athlon MPs xD

On 8/24/2019 at 11:22 AM, flibberdipper said:

Always kinda wanted one of those FDD/card reader combos, not gonna lie. I can't resist the quirkiness.

Then again I may just end up having to get one of those things that lets you shove a floppy and slim optical drive into a single 5.25" bay for whatever XP rig ends up being shoved into an Enthoo Pro M at 8/30/19.

date inserted get to work. /s

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.